Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

I hope now that Harley is playable in Rocksteady's new game they get someone to write the character who doesn't seem to actively despise her.

Bringing in some of the writing crew from the Harley Quinn cartoon would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Katt posted:

Right wingers and leftists coming together to poo poo on tankies is absolutely some sort of OP to equate extreme left and extreme right and place the reasonable middle somewhere around Tucker Carlson.

Tankies are dumb but overwhelmingly harmless but the comment section on accounts like tankie takes is a mish mash of leftists and Pepe avs.

Eh, if you spend any time in UK left-wing politics, you're going to get extremely annoyed with Trotskyites. Either they spend their whole time trying to recruit you into their terrifying rape cult, or they suddenly go hardcore right-libertarian and end up as key policy advisors to the Tories who keep showing up in the BBC to explain why asset-stripping the country's entire economy is good, actually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Since we were chatting about Mulan, bleak lol:

https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1303009701349797889?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

I loved both seasons of Bahamut. True, the second didn’t quite live up to the standards of the first but I’m not sure why it gets so much hate. Whatever flaws it had, it also gave us more of the best character Rita so I'll forgive it.

The Manaria Friends spinoff was pretty good too, despite the short run time of each episode and the lack of Rita. Don’t go into it expecting action though since it’s more of a slice-of-life thing.

I mean, the 'protagonist falls in love with fantasy Hitler' storyline was an absolute disaster that wasted a bunch of fun setup and took a bunch of fun characters in extremely unpleasant directions. Like, he seemed like the obvious 'wrong guy first' in a love triangle (especially since they'd established the other apparent leg of the triangle, a former villain turned freedom fighter and single dad, as a really endearing character), and then they just kept going with it and decided 'yes, the sadistic, genocidal dictator serving as the main villain of the story is our heroine's true love'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

it does but it doesnt change the fact that i feel it. idk im not saying they're bad people for getting dolla dolla bill off youtube and a decently successful youtube channel is a decent amount of work, and any idiot who could do nonbackbreaking labor for okay money would take it, but it doesnt change the fact that like, contrapoints talking about queer oppression when she passes well and makes money and connections specifically off being 'the trans youtuber' feels ludicrously insincere. i dont think thats an unfair criticism or made in bad faith. same with some guy talking about 'your boss' when he makes a living off youtube and doesnt have a secondary job. like, yeah, *my* boss, not yours, dont act like we're in the same boat here.

I feel like this maybe hews a little too close to 'people who are successful and visible in talking about poverty, oppression, and suffering are bad because they're successful and visible'. The whole point of a capitalist system is that it rewards success with money, and suppresses the voices of those who it is failing. Delegitimising people simply because they can survive in reasonable mental and physical comfort while providing quality information about this stuff to a wide audience seems very self-defeating.

A better test seems to be how they use their position and platform - what are they actually doing to help other people who haven't been as fortunate in the great, slanted game of capitalism? Are they sharing their platform with people whose insights are valuable, but who aren't able to get visibility and an audience for whatever reason? Are they using their job and their money to build up and support structures that might help the people whose suffering they're paid to talk about?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dias posted:

I mean, that assumes that everyone streaming is doing it as a means to get rich, but parasocial relationships work both ways in the age of streaming. The average streamer with 50, 60 views probably gets more from their own parasocial interactions with the regulars than in terms of money, and being able to put your "face" out there is a way of reinforcing your personality. Sometimes virtual avatars are a safe way of doing that, whether because of personal insecurities, because you're a minority and you'd rather not have to deal with possible abuse, or even out of professional concern.

(a note, I know the term parasocial relationship is all the rage nowadays but it was coined to deal with mass media, I think it's kinda useless when we're dealing with a good chunk of the Twitch userbase)

Also goons continue to be real bad when it comes to creative labor. Y'know that's work, right? Production costs money, editing costs money, equipment costs money, research costs money...

Yeah, it does seem a little odd to suggest self-employed workers shouldn't get paid for their work. 'You shouldn't earn a liveable amount of money for talking about poverty' seems like a way to narrow the number of people who can talk about it, not broaden it. Compensating people for pointing out where our society fails (and, ideally, what we can do to help fix it) is compensating a valuable social service.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Scholtz posted:

I'd be down for a Dubious Convention

Wasn't that just Dashcon?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DeafNote posted:

I think people were more annoyed that they could not defeat her in the second 'boss' battle even when you have Sam to help you in the fight.
But I think thats where that whole ludonarrative dissonance gets in the way, because the gameplay would make Nathan and Sam seem like unstoppable warriors up until that point.

Granted, sometimes it does annoy me when the game lets the boss win no matter how many times you fight them. (Hello Beatrix from FF9)

Beatrix wasn't that bad by Final Fantasy standards seeing as they managed to successfully convey that she was toying with you, and that you were basically fighting to impress her enough that she'd spare you when she inevitably incapacitated you. Plus, she eventually becomes playable for a short gameplay sequence, and is exactly as monstrously busted as she was when you fought her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been trying to write one actually. It's interesting and difficult picking it all apart since Zeon is a Nazi-influenced aristocracy, but was effectively usurped from a place of Legitimate Grievance and still stands for that, and some of the Zabis even have redeeming qualities. I think that's how you get the Rorschach effect in the fandom, along with the cooler MS designs and uniforms. The federation is lovely in such a banal way meantime.

It's a fusion of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan. A fair amount of its backstory comes from how the Meiji Restoration evolved into the Showa Empire. It's also worth noting that the Federation were only reasonably clear-cut good guys (give or take some minor corruption and desperation) in the original Mobile Suit Gundam. Zeta is about them going bad, and from then on they're mostly divided into shitlibs who roll over and beg for money whenever a fascist shows up and the occasional homebrew fascist, letting the serially genocidal Principality of Zeon reinvent itself as the only faction willing to look out for people in the space colonies (with less accuracy than they advertise but more accuracy than you might hope).

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 8, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Yotsuyu explicitly says she turned herself into a monster so that the story of Doma's occupation would have a happy ending where the Warrior of Light killed the Witch of Doma rather than letting the country have a long and awkward reckoning with its own sins. She also did an impressive job of avoiding collateral damage despite manifesting as a primal (a type of magical being that's basically collateral damage incarnate) during a major prisoner of war exchange.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Diabolos has a scarier name, is considerably more dangerous in-game, and has an in-story reputation for being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. It's honestly a genuinely good pick for a villain monster if you don't want to jump straight to Elder Dragons.

The other option is the Deviljho, but let's be real here - the big angry pickle is mostly just a meme these days.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 11, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BFC posted:

I don't know if her role gets better (haven't read Zou forward) but Nami has been a nothing character ever since Skypiea ended and that blows hard.

Whole Cake Island goes a long way to making her a something character again. She steals a third of an Emperor's manifested soul, and uses it to nuke them before adding it to her regular arsenal. She's the Straw Hats' super-heavy artillery now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

the people making this movie do not care about any of this stuff anywhere near as much as you do

I mean, the very fact that they went for Diabolos as a headline monster shows a certain degree of nerdy care and attention (it's a very good pick that's not necessarily instantly obvious), and apparently they're getting a fair amount of input from the game staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

What? No. Wano's like maybe half over. It's still in Act 3 of 5.

People keep saying this, but I'm pretty sure Act 3 was the flashback. We're in Act 4, the climax.