Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some of you guys seem weirdly mad at this lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I haven't seen Annihilation because I'm a wimp, but from the video and comments made in this thread I'd say it's probably because the movie implicitly mocks a literal reading and very clearly wants you to confront its imagery. It's not that the literal dimension is unimportant as to the movie as a whole, it's just not the part you should be focusing on when forming an interpretation of what it's trying to say or what the ending is actually about.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

OscarDiggs posted:

Alrighty... if metaphor is so important then, how is someone going to know what a metaphor... is a metaphor for? I could probably put that better.

Ah. How do we interpret what a metaphor means? I assume there can be right and wrong interpretations here.

People use any number of methods to interpret metaphor. Blunt movies like Annihilation are easy because at times they'll more-or-less tell you what they're about, but it's possible to figure out even when it's not so clear-cut. This might be a bad example but it's literally the first thing that comes to mind: I myself have, for a long time, interpreted the ending of The Last of Us as a repudiation of the assumed tendency of players to project themselves onto the main character of narrative games, and excuse their flaws. But the key to unpacking this is through Ellie, who is the real viewpoint character: our image of Joel shifts from distrust to familial bonding, ultimately ending up with both Ellie and the player becoming disillusioned with Joel, who we no longer recognize as our avatar after he commits an act that cannot be reconciled and reveals our true lack of agency. This is all stuff I've been thinking about off-and-on for literal years though.

There isn't really a "right" answer here. That's the fun part!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

StealthArcher posted:

This is a repeat of the ludicrous "Must defend to prove my worth" poo poo that TLJ and GB2016 brought out in spades.

Kim Justice posted:

You can tell how much journos really care about the state of the industry when, barely a week after a controversy over a major studio treating their staff like crap, it takes one disrespectful comment from a guy in a Q&A to turn literally all of them into absolute quislings again.

loving yikes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're allowed to be angry, just don't focus it on the dude on the loving stage with no means of escape you babies.

Quislings? Quislings? Seriously, get some perspective.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a consistent trend for journos to defend the exact sort of corporate interests who regularly mistreat their employees and outside the gaming industry those exact same sort of corporate decision makers are literally destroying the planet. I think Quisling is the most appropriate description you can put on corporate apologists.

They're not defending corporate interests, they're defending a guy. A guy who likely had no control over what his company is making him promote, not that it would make it okay to confront him like that even if it was his loving idea. It's a goddamn video game, dude.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kim Justice posted:

Not apologising for the word choice. Games journalism in particular is little more than a cheerleader for the companies that unfortunately have their hooks in so deep that sites are virtually dependent on them to survive. They scarcely cover the malpractices and consumer-unfriendly antics of the industry until they reach a point that they become difficult to ignore, and indeed it only takes so much as someone asking if a mobile game's a joke to put them back on the side of the industry again. Ask yourself if the person's comment, while obviously not the most respectful of comments, is worthy of the huge vitriolic reaction it got in return from journos, as seen in that collage.

Games journalism is screwed up and is more at odds with its userbase than its subject, which is quite the achievement.

You compared them to Nazis, you loon

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WampaLord posted:

The dude asked "is this a joke?" that's not "being confronted" that's being asked a question.

You can absolutely confront someone by asking them a non-rhetorical question. This dude totally knew what the effect of his words would be and just wanted to style on people for announcing something he didn't like.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WampaLord posted:

I think you're overstating the case quite a bit here.

A dev got made fun of for his company's lovely mobile game, it ain't the end of the world.

It's also not the end of the world when people point at that guy and go "don't do this, it's a dick move" but we have people in this thread comparing them to nazis soooooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It absolutely is, because it's not that guy's fault.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's a pattern of defending terrible loving corporations and co-opting language meant to speak against institutions making the world a worse place to instead defend them.

No one is actually doing this, you made it up. They're defending, near-uniformly, the one guy.

Like, you found one tweet where someone was *maybe* doing it if you squint really hard and proceeded to transpose that onto everyone else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There is no nice way to protest and I'm tired of anticapitalism constantly being punched for "civility".

This is maddeningly disingenuous, dude

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would you assume he isn't?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're certainly allowed to express dissatisfaction. Wanting a new ending is not the same thing.

e: I also hate Colin Moriarty and do not like defending him, but this is just common sense

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm aware they changed it. I hated the original ending, but the new one didn't really fix any of the problems I had with it and it was easy to see the parts they stapled on awkwardly to address complaints.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is when the ending is the exact single thing Bioware promised on multiple occasions, throughout the trilogy's lifespan, that they would not do. We swearsies, promise on me mum, no way, no how.

People were understandably upset at essentially having been lied to for five years.

Then be mad. I certainly was! You don't get to demand the story get changed, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Incredible look from "left" youtube defending a giant corporation from *checks notes* a joke making fun of them

I was gonna not rejoin this because it's really dumb, but no one here actually gives a poo poo about Blizzard, let alone enough to loving defend them specifically. This continues to be a really lovely line of argumentation that paints people you mildly disagree with about being slightly rude as insufficiently leftist.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

God drat it dan, I like your stuff, why do you have to defend dumb poo poo that doesn’t need defending? Also will seems like a dumb shitlord.

"Launch them into the sun" is hyperbole my dudes. It's both impossible and impractical. That's the joke.

I also don't really read that Dan statement as defense, more an acknowledgement of a weird reality. He's not talking about quest fuckups, he's talking about poo poo like your corpse launching into the stratosphere upon death.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol your the guy that got mad for mild sass but hurling them to the sun well that’s just hyperbole

You must work for Blizzard as that is the only way this makes sense

The tenor of a face-to-face conversation is inherently different, but also saying "hurl this dude into the sun" is just absurd on its face and really hard to take seriously.

Again, I don't loving care about Blizzard. Accusing everyone who's saying "don't blame this random dude" of being a shill is really stupid, as are all the people pulling up tweets going "don't do this" to dunk on random games journalists. It's beyond pathetic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This whole "game companies don't owe you anything" seems odd in the context of this being announced at a paid fan event.

I mean, of course companies don't owe people anything and people don't owe companies anything, but the tone deafness of doing this is Blizzcon rather than just a press release or a website announcement deserves criticism. Not rage and harassment, but the disappointment and anger is not at all unjustified.

I also agree largely with this. I've been saying the entire time that disappointment is totally reasonable (even if Blizzard seemed to predict this and try to cut off people's expectations beforehand).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Holy poo poo what is wrong with you. Like grow up or something sassing someone to their face is not an issue.

Yes it is? Don't be rude to people who have no power or desire to harm you?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Andrast posted:

Blizzard did absolutely zero predicting here

Didn't they say "this won't be a big announcement"? I might be misinformed on that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh not being rude how dare he

Good to know being an rear end in a top hat for no reason is good, actually.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On that note, the joke itself is whatever, I think I was just using it as a stand-in for like customer service reps, who I very strongly feel you should not sass.

Also I don't think the joke was actually that funny, but that's not really relevant.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats pretty great. like why are some people trying to treat this like the second coming of gamer gate? companies already have PR teams and a gently caress ton of money. you don't have to kowtow to them and then attack everyone who makes fun of them, these aren't disadvantaged minorities, its giant corporation. and i hate how these guys are trying to make it some progressive cultural issue. gently caress them forever for that poo poo.

I think most people who were annoyed with the "epic takedown!!!" framing don't see it as a giant corporation they're defending, they just see a guy doing his job who seems to have been hung out to dry a bit.

Add people being sensitive (and maybe rightly so) about anything that seems remotely like GG polarization and "consumer activism" and you have the perfect recipe for a bit of an overreaction.

The thing I disagree with about that Medium piece besides how annoyingly "argh I'm angry!!!!! This makes my points stronger!!!" it was is just the line about how journalists should be on the side of gamers, not the companies. Well, no. They shouldn't be on any side by default.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point was, the job of the games press is not to "defend gamers" or whatever the gently caress. Again, I'd wager most of them are just trying to stand up for a single employee, not slavishly defend Blizzard as a company. I also have seen none of this "defending" of Blizzard occur outside of loving tweets.

sexpig by night posted:

I'm not gonna act like those dipshits possibly doing that makes it not worth while to go 'no but these guys are actually simpering bootlickers who would rather be friends with multi-billion dollar companies than actually be journalists'.

You guys are really melodramatic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah their handwringing because that’s the tactic you use to silence someone. They don’t give a gently caress about this single employee that got mildly sassed, they aren’t that dumb.

Now we're just ascribing widespread malicious intent to these dudes? What? That's pretty ridiculous.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that’s literally what you did to the guy who sassed him so why is it bad now. At least mine has precedent.

Your argument is that I was wrong about something, therefore it's fine for you say it about way more people? Am I getting that right?

Like, I probably was wrong. I've just been in too many of those rooms and have pretty bad anxiety so I don't really like those situations in general. It makes me want to escape, and I projected that onto the dude, who handled it about as well as could be expected.

Going "everyone who disagrees with me on this is a shill" is just childish.

sexpig by night posted:

it's almost like it's not actually about the dudes freaking out about people saying 'this idea sounds stupid' alone and actually this is more an example of an endemic problem in the industry where 'entitlement' has become a lazy go-to to handwave away any complaints by lumping in 'it's real lame you ended your big festival's main presentation with a wet fart and genuinely don't understand why we think it's dumb' with poo poo like 'vagina bones'

The same people are pushing both of those things dude, and neither of them actually matter. The first one kinda sucks, especially if you paid for a BlizzCon ticket, but that's it. Using it as a cudgel to bash journalists by making insane tweet compilations is pathetic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh no I think your sincere, but no I don’t believe journalists are no. They are just doing what journalists do, pushing things towards their own biases.

I'm just gonna leave this at that, because yikes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I guess I've just heard the words "biases in journalism" too much in such ridiculous contexts to ever take them seriously again.

To claim that all members of the press are by nature ruled by their biases (while you, naturally, are not) is um... not great either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spark That Bled posted:

My beef is with people saying it doesn't matter if he buddies with alt-right and white nationalists, just as long as he is on Our Side.

I don't think anyone said anything resembling this in this thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McIntosh always struck me as a dude who committed himself to being a "good feminist," but instead of doing the work that entails and really looking inward to try and deal with that poo poo he decided to settle on moralistic hot takes to prove he's got bona fides.

Like, he certainly has some semblance of a point, somewhere in there, that even and especially a game whose primary means of interaction is violence probably shouldn't let you beat up suffragettes, and that games are too steeped in power fantasy, but together they become an incoherent, absurd mess of an idea.

Like, it's clear to most people that the reason there aren't more games about healing is that healing is just less "dynamic" and "flashy," for all that entails. It's not impossible to make fun, but it's certainly not as simple as "shoot the gun."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the game's done a decent job of portraying them so far, I'm just trying to present his argument in some kind of a sensible light even if it's nonsense to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah sometimes I don't think Rockstar get quite enough credit for some of this stuff.

I personally am unwilling to give them a lot of credit because of how utterly repellant I found a lot of GTAV. That might not be fair, but it's unfortunately the case.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Augus posted:

Iirc the video was called “Murdering crazy feminists in RDR2” or something like that
Funny how even generic commentary-less gameplay channels can’t control themselves

Yeah, I got recommended that exact video, no sympathy for this rear end in a top hat.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paranoia Agent is loving great and I'd love to own it but for whatever reason the only official release I can find is an old-as-hell DVD release that's not even in the right region for me. It deserves a lot better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Last Jedi is awesome.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TLJ is a movie that has a very clear ethos and it makes me laugh (and honestly distresses me a little) that I see so many people describe parts of it as pointless when they all contribute so heavily to what it's trying to say and think about. It's a great movie that I wish I could actually loving talk about anywhere on the internet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not going to have an argument about the merits of TLJ here, because no one cares and neither do I (I love the movie and its detractors genuinely seem to care about it far more than I am ever capable of), I just want to point out that your comment is exactly the kind of thing I was referring to when I talked about it being impossible to loving talk about this movie on the internet. Like, someone posts that they like it and you immediately jump to making them defend it against anything you can come up with.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It seems kind of ominous that our culture has linked profundity with spectacle-driven mass-culture children’s entertainment. I know original Star Wars pulled its visual vocabulary and characters (to some degree) out of historical reality, it seems to be aiming for a certain mood or visual shorthand that assists in telling the story rather that trying to argue that American involvement in the Vietnam War was wrong and imperialism is bad or whatever.

How? I think it's weird to say that "big" movies can't and shouldn't try to be profound.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CharlestheHammer posted:

The idea that someone dislikes something so they must care to much is hilariously dumb but an incredibly goon thing to think.

It's not about that, it's about the continual tenacity with which that opinion is expressed. It's really, really hard to talk about TLJ almost anywhere without the loving wolves descending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

Is Penny Arcade seriously still pushing that? drat, learn to cut your losses, dudes.

Wait, what?

e: oh, that. Not what I was referring to by any means