Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Seriously, how the gently caress can someone be expected to take the scenario seriously when Grey sure didn't and just wanted an "I'm right".

It would be a conundrum. For the past billion years of evolution life has predicated on the central principle of "at some point you are not going to be around anymore". I can see how that would be an especially disconcerting thought for tech CEOs who's entire lives do not take that into account. Sometimes the only thing that makes the world bearable is the knowledge that the entire House of Saud will someday be worm food like the rest of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 2, 2018

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Augus posted:

rhetorical questions. gently caress video games

We are on the same page, my hearty goon.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

I saw 40 new replies in the Internet Critic thread and was pleasantly surprised to see it was the fun kind of stupid rather than the usual kind.

I'd post content but Noah Gervais's Far Cry video isn't done rendering yet
https://twitter.com/MrGervaisWrites/status/991669288275656704

Mama Mia

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caUVRB-FXOA
Finally one of my favorite video series Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has updated with a video on Styracosaurus

How delightful.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
More Internet Personalities need to tell me about dinosaurs.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

khwarezm posted:

If this is sincere Trey the explainer is pretty interesting, though he hasn't done a huge amount on dinosaurs specifically as of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaT-q3feI9s

Yasss that is the good stuff.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Kermit: Brush your teeth. Go to bed at a reasonable hour.

*Zarathustra plays softly in the background*

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 7, 2018

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Going back to the dinosaur chat from a couple of pages ago there is also PBS Eons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCzR-rom72PHN9Zg7RML9EbA

The hosts aren't quite as adorably dorky as the Your Dinosaurs are Wrong guy but they are still well researched and interesting. I think one of the hosts has something to do with Crash Course so if you like that style of video you might like these.

Quality programming right here.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha holy poo poo remember Disney's CGI Dinosaur movie? Apparently that was originally going to be a Paul Verhoeven/Phil Tippett venture with Go-Motion.

That honestly would have been amazing to see.

Can't wait till Expedition Theme Park cover the Dinosaur ride in Animal Kingdom. I am curious to see how much Eisner fuckery went into it.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

God does everyone who thinks this way think if they suck up enough about these rich assholes, that they'll be able to leech off them or get put on the life shuttle to whatever dystopian space colony these jagoffs build when the Earth becomes unlivable?

Likely

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
My favorite gaming youtuber just posted a video on the bear meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYk2i070I2I

The dinosaur-aficionados here may be interested in his analysis of past game patches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6yY9HKVmfA

Personally I think game was better back when therapsids were a viable build.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 12, 2018

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Learning about the conception, compromise, construction, and upkeep of amusement park attractions > actually waiting in line at an amusement park

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Very cool.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
A cartoon?!? Is cartoony?!?!?!! Oooooh Noooooooo!!!!!

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure glad I have you knowledgeable goons to talk about cartoons with. Every time I try to strike up this conversation with my work peers they look at me like I have grown a second head.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I for one am happy that at least in this thread we can seriously discuss the rhetoric of Internet people who talk about cartoons and toys.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
The absolute worst thing about the deep sea server is how everyone too preoccupied with whale drops and geothermal vent camping to bother with the very important business of tallying up the Internet crimes and adulations of dead youtubers. Don’t those bottom feeders know what is at stake?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nNbCwordw

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

rudecyrus posted:

Is there anything that would make Valve curate Steam? At this point there would have to be a massive loss of income, but since Steam is one of the biggest digital distributors in the industry, I don't see it happening.

They’ll launch another steam sale and everyone will forget about this entire affair.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Dan Olson
Producteur - Folding Ideas

Ideas: Become Folded

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Videogames?!?! Bad?!?!??

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

It's called a gish gallop and it's very effective if your arguments are primarily for show to your supporters rather than discourse with your detractors, as people can confuse the quantity of points you're making for paucity in the opponent's argument.

Your audience won't evaluate your points on merit because they already agree with you, and your opponent can't possibly respond to all of your points without abandoning progressing the discussion, making it appear like you have an unbeatable argument because they are yet to counter it.

Surprise surprise YouTube intelligentsia love this. I remember judging a debate club and its always the funniest poo poo listening to kids voices go up an octave because pausing to take a breath is precious seconds that could be spent making another obtuse assertion.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Professional YouTube videogame man? Actually giant creep?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

kiwami japan - sharpest Cardboard kitchen knife in the world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvo86AHovFc

Faceless and voiceless, this guy makes knives.

Please do yourselves a favor and browse his other videos. Hope you like pasta, chocolate and jello.

At last some quality content.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Calaveron posted:

They already tried present day Assassin’s Creed. They gave the guy a silenced gun and he was completely unstoppable if not for the fact he had to sacrifice himself to an internet goddess to protect the earth from a massive solar flare that still somewhat hosed with the planet but not so badly that literally Ubi Soft couldn’t steal his body to do experiments on it to figure out the ancient aliens while still creating video games

Christ I hate videogames.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

I've been nothing but polite and understanding towards you, please don't insult me because I have a differing position to yours

You post on a dying internet comedy forum and expect what?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I just saw that Kyle Kallgren has me blocked on twitter, even though I don’t think I’ve ever commented on anything of his and would certainly never have said anything mean to him or anyone who wasn’t a chud. That sucks.

Whats it like being a chud, ya chud?

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I feel confusion and shame, but I just found out that I can keep them at bay by getting angry.

Also I just realized that it's bad to call reactionaries and Trump voters chuds because in the movie the chuds were marginalized homeless people mutated by illegally dumped waste after being forced underground.

This wouldn't of happened if we just saved the rec center.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Not using twitter is great, its like you already have everyone on your block list.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Imagine your spouse dying a horrifying slow death doped to near-unconsciousness by painkillers. Now imagine a couple weeks later and some internet wonk wants your opinion on said spouse’s super serious internet crimes.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
His death has put him beyond the reach of mortal justice. My only option is to now hound and spit upon all who dared called him friend. I will not exhale until they call that very bad man a pee pee head. Even now it boils my blood that these morons rush to his defense. Ye gods it is almost like they had an actual strong friendship completely divorced from my parasocial interactions.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just loving dig up his corpse and run him through a trial, find him guilty, and draw and quarter him.

Make a paper mache effigy and do this every year at Pax. At registration you should be required to throw a rock at it before entering. The wee children will ask why we do this arcane ritual and a wizened and most definitely revered elder Internet Personality will come forward and relate the tale of the demon.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I’d call it a storm in a tea cup but that would be like admitting I’m a complete normo. I am scared to death of losing my e-cred.

Anyways here have some content

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wSFXYKl_rf0&t

Everyone’s favorite subject: two middle aged white dudes talking about a movie from the 80s.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

What's amusing about this whole debacle is that people aren't as upset about Gunn getting canned as they are that Cernovich was the one that pulled the trigger.

Live by the tweet, die by the tweet.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Heaven's sake I can't keep up with all of this utter bollocks

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Also, here's something interesting I've seen being shared around. Platinum Paragon did a study on adults who play video games.

Hmm. If they weren't committed to the "gamer" identification they would have a better sample size (925 to 165 why would you do this to yourself). Hell their "Online Gaming Mental Health" analysis has sample size of 12,348.

Alternatively do to parallel LCAs of "gamers", "non-gamers who play videogames", and "non-gamers who don't play videogames" and see what subgroups arise.

If they used decision trees they may have been able to make an accurate predictions for unanswered questions in the non-valid cases (say individuals that refused only one or two questions).

Overall you could probably get department funds for a conference poster out of this work. If you want anything more than beer money revisions will be needed.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

KayTee posted:

It's in one of Shaun's videos. I can't remember which one so I'll just link to the playlist and you'll just have to watch all of them. :)

it's in the "CinemaSins is Wrong About Everything" video :)

WampaLord posted:

There's CinemaSinsSins, who is basically dedicated to this entire genre of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bODwT_wfo

Okay, I must not of gotten the memo but am I supposed to finding both these guys as something other than poe-faced and boring? Am I supposed to consider this smart? Cause this is like watching a 20 minute 'analysis' of some neckbeard with a faux-british accent telling me how water is indeed wet while sporadically pausing a video of a leaky faucet.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

I decided to pick up No Man's Sky after a short preview trailer a couple of years before its released piqued my interest. After watching the trailer I basically developed a strong lack of interest in the hype machine part of games journalism, so ignored literally everything about that games PR. The closest I got was some brief browsing of its SA thread, but they were in the middle of a very lengthy multi page argument so I missed all of the promises. I actually really liked the game for what it was, been meaning to get back into for awhile now.

99% of all Internet Drama can be avoided if you don't buy the hype.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
“Unperson”?

lol if you think youtubers are people.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i have never heard anything about about the dude personally. like he says in the video, he took a weakness and rolled with it and got lucky as hell. my little cousin LOVES fnaf and its nice to see that the creator isn't some weird rear end in a top hat of any stripe.

Respect and a healthy mindset can be all yours if you don’t make every firing brain synapse “part-o-yo-brand”. I’m willing to bet dollars to donuts that dude has some opinions that would get this thread ultra-booty bothered but he has the sense to keep to himself like every other functional adult in the world.

Dean of Swing fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why isn't there a player race that is half-human, half-dungeon, then? :smaug:

Mimics