Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012
Hello I am a person doing a thing via buttons. It's amazing what electronic singnals traveling through space can accomplish.

Makes ya think.

Purple m&ms are the best.

bad thread so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012
Hello I am a person doing a thing via buttons. It's amazing what electronic singnals traveling through space can accomplish.

Makes ya think.

six figures is rich but there's a gap between rich and 'where the gently caress did all this money come from' rich

i remember skimming a very long tumblr post that basically analogised it to 'the people you think of as rich have managed to get an entire cherry from the economy pie that you get crumbs of, and the very wealthiest people have a whole pie, which is a totally unimaginable amount of money to basically everyone else'

it's definitely not what anybody arguing in good faith should refer to as 'working class' anyway

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Makes ya think.

Funnily enough I remember hbomberguy pithily criticising pop culture detective for his video on the star wars prequels, but that was because the video made a really obvious statement that you could get from watching the films and then went out of its way to pretend that george lucas is a big dumb idiot for not realising it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Makes ya think.

sexpig by night posted:

it's really weird that the Age of Empires style RTS is completely dead and no one at all seems to be even trying to revive it.

the average player is so bad at rts games that dota, league of legends and all of their derivatives ate up their entire player base, basically.

or to be more charitable, the skill set that RTS games rewards is so at odds with the skills people who play them have that the genre imploded on itself. the casual player of age of empires does not have or want to have 100+ effective APM or a small set of rotely memorised openings, they want to make broad strategic and tactical decisions over a moderately long period punctuated with bursts of action - and that's something that the 'MOBA' genre has cleaned up in. the warcraft 3 ladder died long before the custom games did.

it doesn't help that turn-based games - ranging from the directly analogous 4x to the more abstract X-Com - squeeze the genre from the other, less frenetic direction.