Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Recently, FilmBrain re-posted his crossover review of Tekken with Spoony and said he'd love to do the prequel with him.

Not gonna happen, but it's a nice sentiment.

Man, I would love this so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lornekates posted:

Two pages. We didn't even make it two loving pages.

We just love him so much we want him to come back!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you fools are missing the real problem with The Last Jedi

There is no reason why it should matter if the capital ship was running out of fuel because in the vacuum of space there is no friction to slow inertia. The chase should have gone on forever.

There never should have been a chase or a conflict at all. FTL isn't real so no-one in Star Wars ever left their homeworld. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am slowly learning that the people in this thread are generally more empathetic to the people being discussed in this thread that the subforums I am used to (i.e. wrestling and football). I get that I have to learn how to better mesh into the culture here if I want to continue posting, but a mod and top 10 poster attacking a newcomer for not understanding the unstated "decorum" of a thread is a excessive and frankly a little alienating

Dude, I'm basically crossposting through the entire forum and never had to "learn to better mesh with the culture"

Face it and own it, you're an rear end in a top hat :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

:agreed:

Free lornekates, they did nothing wrong and it's lovely to look at a large post and go "wow this person is obviously insane" when they're just trying to be as accurate as possible to avoid causing new problems.

Yeah, clearly only the length was the problem here

Not stuff like the formatting, the content or the giant red flag that suddenly jumped out of the post and started rotating in front of my eyes, while blasting "This Is a Warning" at 9001 decibels

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BobbyK posted:

Are there any internet review people who are not boring rear end white people?

There was That Girl With the Goggles, but I think she only did like 1-2 videos. No idea what she did afterwards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jenny posted:

As for PoC who talk about media, some up and comers are La'Ron Readus and MelinaPendulum (who's since stopped posting as much now that she works for The Mary Sue). There's also Gita Jackson, who's started doing some video work with Kotaku and io9. Jourdain Searles has several podcasts, and also has started being in Kyle Kallgren's videos more and more (she's Kyle's girlfriend.) And of course, old favorite Rap Critic (who recently did a collab with me on the Bright video).

The big problem with PoC on YouTube talking in predominately white spaces is not just that it is innately more hostile for them (like if you thought that being a white woman was bad...) but the real issue is that the YouTube algorithm handles the vast, vast majority of traffic, and the algorithm tends to select PoC, especially in traditionally white spaces, because it goes off of what it thinks the viewer wants to see (and white people are statistically less likely to click on a thumbnail with a black face - that's just how it is, and the YouTube robot knows this). So not only is it harder to get a foothold if you aren't white, it's harder to get the robot to promote you, and it's harder to find new voices in recommendations as well.

I vote for me as mod - give me all of the power so I can exercise the most shameless of nepotism*

*I am kidding. Don't mod me. It would be a legit conflict of interest.

Edit: Wednesday. The answer is Wednesday.

Couldn't that be easily solved by YouTube adding an "I want to see PoC-videos" option, which makes this algorithm run backwards?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

business hammocks posted:

It is grotesquely comical how algorithms like that have entrenched and furthered systemic racism with such laser-like precision less than a decade after they first started coming into service. And it’s all of a piece with the human-driven colorblind racism behind poo poo like the war on drugs, as the machines literally can’t see race.

At least the machines can be fixed. Whenever I bring up "fixing" humans with surgery, people tend to be weird about this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Makes me glad I'm only using this thread as a handy source to get new and interesting videos to watch. This way, I'm perfectly safe from ever showing up in that statistic!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, Watership Down really hit me when I saw it as a child, and then read the book. I love it.

I still weep like a child when I see scenes from the movie. Even this review was hard to watch. Goddamnit, Watership Down hits like a truck.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Phelous re-edited his Pulse 2006 review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zsi5104WGs

Care to guess why? :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

He could call himself Doug. I never liked the monikers producers gave themselves.

How about Doug Walker, Nostalgia Ranger

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StealthArcher posted:

And because Amazon gonna Amazone, anyone outside of 2 countries can't watch and Am is a little pos that blocks VPNs :v:

What's the loving point of paying for prime in your home country lately.

At least it's saving me money, because AVGN would have been the only reason to occasionally buy an episode.

Amazon, good at delivering goods to your doorstep, bad at everything else

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, this Contra-woman sounds awesome, I have to go look her videos up

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Bennet may be a socially awkward, pretentious and sexually perverted comedy figure who recently lost a lot of weight, but he's no where near the level of objectively awful as Gervais.

I love how this reads as if "losing a lot of weight" was a negative. :allears: Goons!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I thought it was to further the comparison to Gervais is all

I don't know who Gervais is, but I found his post too funny to not comment. It was basically cosmically comical :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doc Morbid posted:

I always find these sub vs. dub discussions interesting, because in my country (:finland:) such a debate doesn't really exist. Over here, dubbing is almost exclusively used on programming for young children while all other foreign stuff is subtitled, and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Same, but opposite. Here (Germany) subbing is for Nerds and seen as rather exotic. Almost everything here is dubbed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

RLM is bad because I can't take anyone who invest so much into star wars seriously.

This. Everyone who tells us RLM is better than Lindsay Ellis shows us we can safely discard their opinions as worthless. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

I mean, I guess you could. I tried to keep it going for as long as possible and emulate the humour where I could. Clearly posted too many times in a row and gave it all away though.

Congratulations, for the most bafflingly boring prank executed in the history of internet

I give you three information superhighways out of five

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

If I never hear some dickheaded grognard go on a rant about how that scene "ruins the LOOOOOOREE and why don't they ALLLLLWAYS do that," I'll die happy.

The complaint is stupid anyway. It's like looking at WWII and saying: "We beat Japan with nukes, why can't we just use them all the time???"

There are a lot of good reasons to not turn your ship into a giant suicide missile, even without bothering with stuff like "lore"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:allears: That German music

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm wondering/dreading what the hell Gearbox is going to do with the Homeworld IP. Deserts of Kharak was fantastic but in large part because it was made by the old Relic folks who formed Black Bird Interactive and divorced from Gearbox's meddling. Homeworld Remastered looked phenomenal, but played like rear end until about a year after its launch when Gearbox finally patched it with lots of help from Black Bird and the Homeworld fan community. They managed to resurrect Homeworld: Cataclysm too to everyone's surprise but now that they've run dry on the well of pre-existing Homeworld content it seems like they're just gonna squat on the IP rights like THQ did before it up and died.

Wait, they did? When did this happen? Is it a remastered version, too? Or just the old version re-published?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Republished to work on modern systems. It's up on Good Old Games under Homeworld: Emergence now because Blizzard trademarked Cataclysm in the time since its original publication and Gearbox didn't want to get sued by the Big Blue B and its army of lawyers.

Sweet! Remembering all the stuff I have to do to keep Cataclysm running on a modern OS with good resolution and rendering gets tedious sometimes. Paying 8 bucks to future proof this poo poo is a good deal in my opinion.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

God of War is imo a better game than Nier.

Even thinking of God of War bores me to tears, so I highly doubt that

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

The past day is pretty much the low point of this entire thread's existence and that's all I have to say.

Anyway, content. I like watching weird food things and I find My Virgin Kitchen a lot of fun. It's Barry Lewis (who you may know as part of Barshens)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3i_BaQ2zt4

Wow, that looks disturbingly disgusting, I'm impressed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I immediately had to think of Spoony. I'm guessing he was just one of the first to spiral down because of mental health problems / burnout syndrome. Fascinating, in a sad way. Now more and more follow him into the abyss.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

As much as I love it, you can definitely gently caress yourself a couple times if you ignore characters too hard in FFX and then woops, hard story fight doles out your least leveled people.

Yeah, but you don't need to grind, you only need to remember to use your red-headed stepchildren once in a blue moon too prevent this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

Some lovely comments here now. No need to make fun of his weight.

Yeah, pity and revulsion should be the normal reaction. Making fun of fat people is scratching the bottom of the comedy barrel. It makes someone look like they are big dummies with zero sense of humor.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Time posted:

You nerds wanna argue about Star Wars some more?

Because Just Write has a pretty nice video about the Last Jedi and why audiences don't agree on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJhOpY7bh6s

This video is awesome and everyone should go view it this instant.

Also, this video made me realize why exactly I love this movie so much. It put things into words I was vaguely aware of, but never really thought about in depth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

logger posted:

In the book Hammond spent so much effort on trying to make his park on-theme to what he imagined the time of the dinosaurs to be like he couldn't even put in topiary that wouldn't poison his animals and guests. He pretty much rushed to complete the park and cut all the corners he could because his board of directors were going to can him and sell the company to the scary Japanese company that Crichton always seemed to put into his books during the 80's.

The irony being, that Japanese company probably would have been capable of running the park without loving it up like Hammond.

Hey, can you imagine a Jurassic Park owned and operated by Nintendo? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hey, that looks cool! Now I kind of feel bad because I always found He-Man and She-Ra incredibly boring. Hopefully it not only looks better.

sexpig by night posted:

Any of these animal youtubes that focus on tarantulas by chance? I've been thinking of getting one lately but all the main communities I've seen have been forums based, be nice to have videos to watch for details and all.

And on a completely different track, what about home brewing beer on youtube? Kinda the same thing with them, most communities there seem to be podcasts or places like reddit. I like to toss youtube on in the background while I write or play games or something, and podcasts work well too but I like to be able to look over at a video if something sounds interesting or confusing.

This, but also centipedes? I'm always wondering about how you would hold these little motherfuckers, ever since I saw a picture of a grinning man, with a giant rear end centipede coiled around his arm

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

You know, I was thinking about the whole "Why didn't they fly the eagles to Mordor" thing a while ago. I remember in one of Spoony's CounterMonkey video, he pointed out how there were orcs archers, and the huge eye of Sauron that would easily intercept an aerial approach to Mordor. I didn't know about the demon dragons (not that well versed in LotR lore), though that does answer my semi-serious retort to that reasoning, which is, "Provided the eagles couldn't fly directly into Mordor with being taken down, why didn't the eagles fly them halfway, so it's not as long of a trip?"

Of course, the real answer to both of those questions is just, "If the eagles just flew them there, it wouldn't have made for that interesting of a story."

Of course you're right (even though I'm now imagining a short story with the eagles as heroes, dodging orc archers, Nazgul and Sauron-magic on their hellride to Mordor) but flying "halfway" to Mordor opens up a lot of questions, like where should the eagles land exactly? There aren't that many places where our heroes could re-provision themselves, or are the eagles strong enough to transport everyone plus tons of supplies for the trek through the wilderness? Should the eagles then land in one of the few cities instead, like Minas Tirith? But wouldn't that be incredible obvious to spies, Sauron and his orcs? Wouldn't they not walk into a trap as soon as they leave? :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Mads Mikkelsen sabotage takes away from the notion of hubris bringing down the Empire. Tarkin's aide even mentions during the trench run that they've realized what the rebels are targeting and why it's a danger but Tarkin is too drat arrogant to believe it's a credible threat. The Imperials should be shutting their pants realizing their design flaw, but instead it's just sabotage.

Why? They could easily be too arrogant to realize that there is a design flaw. Rogue One changes nothing about the trench run.

Luke being a space wizard making impossible angle shots "threatens" the theme of hubris a lot more than some sabotage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

That was hardly an impossible shot, though - we had missiles capable of doing that years before Star Wars came out. Seriously, ask anyone who’d been on tour abroad and seen a Tomahawk missile strike, and they’ll give you some pretty wild stories.

We have missiles that can turn by 90° instantly? I need some sources before I believe that, buddy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Tomahawks in the Gulf War were (in)famous for flying low enough and being agile enough that they had to - and did - turn at street corners on their way to the target. The most famous report came from legendary BBC journalist Bob Simpson.

You know, I wanted to write a post where I scoff at you in scorn and contempt for bringing up some over-excited journalism crap instead of real sources (like technical data or something), but then I realized we're stepping farther and farther away from what matters: That real-life weapons are irrelevant for Star Wars, since it's a fantasy story in a galaxy far away and long ago, so presumably they don't have force-powered Tomahawks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I thought Terry Brook's Shannara was said to be the big, blatant LotR clone?

Shannara is Science Fiction, completely different genre

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Though I liked the story where the Elves have to defend their home against an invading horde of demons.

To this day I'm not sure if Brooks loved Warhammer 40k so much he had to copy the Eldar's defense of Iyanden, replacing Tyranids with demons, or if the GW author of early 40k responsible for the Eldar codex loved Brook's writing a bit too much

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sterdust or the slaughtering grounds saga?

Lupa and Phelous look at Theodore Rex.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9crN8h0AY0

Oh my god, I know that movie! It's horrible!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

englerp posted:

Wasn't it only the German version that was broken by censorship? Ah, the late 90s\early 00s where German versions of games had enemies replaced by robots or were broken by the censorship. (See also Fallout: Children were invisible, but they could still steal your stuff).

It wasn't all bad. The German Command & Conquer games were improved a lot by pretending every foot soldier is actually a robot cyborg. It made you feel like you were playing a B-Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Some :3: news from our favorite internet personality, Spoony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ-n8EHcEy4

He got invited to a Live Stream hosted by Linkara, and they all had fun just talking and shooting jokes for a couple hours.