Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

"Why yes, this is a tie with dollar signs on it.

Jealous?"

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’m reminded of H.Bomberguy’s video that started with him taking about some beloved British personality that was later revealed to be a pedophile

Is there something I missed about Sherlock Holmes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

I'm more surprised that it's not about the Prequels.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Darth Walrus posted:

I may be misremembering the details, but I think it was a mod challenge LK placed where a certain poster had to post ‘baba booey’ once a day for a month or be banned. One day, LK probated them, so they couldn’t meet their deadline. They PM’d ‘baba booey’ to LK as compensation, but LK didn’t accept it and banned them. The admins decided this was unreasonably vindictive, and demodded LK.

SA drama is loving bizarre.

I think LK's in the wrong here, but demodding is a bit of an overreaction on the admins' part.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

BOTL seems like he wouldn't want to be a mod which, given what we've seen people who do want to be mods do when given power, should be the primary qualification.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Someone posted the latest BOTW, but I'd like to add that Faust looks loving amazing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

These fan castings are just bizarre, though I do appreciate the complete lack of consideration given to matching likenesses.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

nine-gear crow posted:

I don't. Larry's capable of expressing enjoyment in things.

Hey, BOTL has expressed enjoyment of the Gormenghast novels, as well as...

uh, I can't think of much else, but there's that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7ukNgw0CK0

In non-Channel Awesome news, Movie Michael put up a video about sequels, and while I don't agree with his criteria for what a perfect sequel is, he presents a compelling case for his perfect sequel.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

khwarezm posted:

This feels like one of those essayists whose not very funny gimmicks and attempts at comedy keep on getting in the way of the content.

Yeah, that's basically my take on him. He's got interesting perspectives but he's trying way too hard to be quote-unquote likeable.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

IMO the problem is less what LK did in the situation that led to their demodding than the fact they put together a 26+ point post responding to their demodding instead of simply walking away. This obsession with being right in a pointless conflict is the main driver of bad posting, dragging out arguments that could be finished in one page to three or more.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

DoubleCakes posted:

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

He varies, some videos are dryer, but stuff like his Night Vale video is more on the schticky side. Personally, I think he's got a nice balance of deadpan and schtick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

AriadneThread posted:

doug doesn't own the nostalgia critic name, right? would he have to like, rebrand himself? get a new face??

It's gonna be like Mistico leaving CMLL then coming back, by 2020 we'll have Nostalgia Critic as portrayed by Irate Gamer for CA versus Dougstalgia Walker or some other bizarre copyright avoidance name.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

CelticPredator posted:

I hate the NC and would be fine if I never see th shrill gun waving bald man again

But he could just call him self The Critic. Everyone calls him that away. Same character, different name.

Jay Sherman won't be happy to hear that.

Doug should go full 90s and just replace stuff with Zs.

Noztalgia Crytyc, the most legally distinguishable critic around.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Any internet critic reviewing anti-homeless architecture?

McMansion Hell is the only online architecture critic that comes to mind, and she focuses more on gaudy residences, but her stuff is fantastic.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

TheMaestroso posted:

Ernest Cline is like a successful version of MovieBob...from before he was openly eugenicist.

Ready Player One but it's about phrenology would be a pro read.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Internet Review Thread: The Desolation Of Posting

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Could you provide other examples of "digital fantasy"? Does Tron count? What about Tron Legacy?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Checks out.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently some comedy news channel got removed from Youtube? Crimson Studios? Or Crimson Films? Strangely enough, googling either of the two will land you on very different companies.

https://twitter.com/Crimson_Films/s...472588061360129

hosed up that they're called Crimson Studios but their main color brand seems to be a hideous ancap yellow.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Film Robert is a valuable study the same way Amazing Atheist is, in that they're both the logical endpoints of sociopolitical trajectories: if you base your self worth on dunking on people, you end up dunking on anybody who provides an easy target, which ends up being the people already victimized most by society, and if you base your self worth on a presumed intelligence, you end up characterizing people with less access to education as subhuman.

E: so I'm watching the latest Jenny Nicholson and this isn't meant as ragging on her, I enjoy her videos, but what's with the weird high angle she goes for in her videos? It's a noticeable departure from the usual level angle you usually see from YouTube people talking to the camera and given how often she looks up, above the camera even which is particularly noticeable given the high angle, it just strikes me as odd.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 22, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Hbomb has an incredibly dynamic voice, which goes a long way.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

I agree that the barrel scene had a different tone than the rest of the movie, but it was also my favorite scene, with a slapstick energy far more suited to an adaptation of a book where Bilbo tricks three trolls into literally arguing until the sun comes up than most of the tonal choices present in that film.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Serious Lore Analysis: The Return

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

The wait was Worth It

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

corn in the bible posted:

My real problem with Hbomberguy and some of his ilk is they present these incredibly obvious things as revelations their audience just couldn't see until they explained them. Videogame companies ARE, by and large, terrible grinding jobs in the same way that many major corporations are, yes, and this is something that's pretty well known and accepted. But it's presented as if only through the genius of Internet Man can we, the common people, know it.

I'm not sure I agree that that was the point of his video, or something he presented as much of a revelation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Star Wars was a hero to most, but it never meant poo poo to me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Diogenes was the Spoony of Greek philosophy

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Philosophy Tube has some good skits, which might be thanks to Olly having straight up acting training but just as much has to do with his relatively low key presentation, doing a simple format very well instead of trying something more ornate and risking falling flat.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

I don't see what those screenshots have to do with internet reviewers, unless some kotaku dude being a dweeb about games gate counts as an internet personality

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

nine-gear crow posted:

Joke's on you, there's no text crawl in Rogue One!

There's one at the end though.

E: also the ethos of "what if we made the whole game out of cutscene" gave us the masterpieces of Metal Gear Solid, Yakuza, and Contradiction, so maybe there's something there

I Before E fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 10, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well i said wasn't bad, didnt mean great. i liked watchmen sorta though, gently caress faries or whatever that other movie was sucks rear end.

It's called Guardians Of Ga'Hoole, tyv much

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

FoldableHuman posted:

Literally no one was thinking of Guardians of Ga'Hoole.

Well that's a shame.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Tarquinn posted:

According to Film Robert it is.

Spoiler: the Kessel Run was actually an IQ test

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

business hammocks posted:

Jenny Nicholson (I think it was her) posted on twitter a while ago about a genre of fanfiction where the author writes a first-person account of being sold by their parents as a sex slave to One Direction. It seemed kind of like the tip of an iceberg I really don’t want to know about.

And I thought being trapped in an island with Josh Hutchinson was bad.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Sanguinia posted:

Disney buying Star Wars was Star Wars "being saved," though. The franchise had been a dumpster fire for many years before that sale went through with the sole exception of the CG Clone Wars cartoon, and that's including attendant media like games and novels.

You say "this is the best that Star Wars is going to be under the Mouse," as if there was some better alternative.

Star Wars Battlefront 2

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Nuebot posted:

Last Giant/Giant King's story is told entirely through gameplay though?

That's what he was trying to say, that that's an example of dark souls telling stories through gameplay.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

I'm excited for the game map to be absolutely unlivable within three months and the inevitable Bethesda response that we've all learned a very valuable lesson about nuclear war, coupled with a patch that undercuts that completely.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

I mean empathizing with someone isn't reliant on them being a cool dude

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

OmanyteJackson posted:

It's not logical, it's framed as being logical that's the problem of engaging movies as if they came from out of the either. Why is he framed as being tactical and a rational thinker but his first choice to resolve conflict is to puch? Why did they choose to have the bad guy make a heroic sacrifice? Why does his plan have to be internally consistent and rational? If his plan isn't rational, why do they not explore it? Why does the Thanos have to have a rational for deleting half the universal population?

They had control over what they kept and what they changed from the comics, why keep erase half the population part anyway?

The problem with pop culture these days is that everything has to have pathos so the think pieces get written while simultaneously being as apolitical as possible and it's so loving tireing.

It's not logical because we see his logic process on why genocide is the "only answer", it's logical because he says it is. if you want to be pedantic, a fictional character isn't capable of thought so he can't by definition have logic. Also he has magic stones with unlimited power to change reality.

I guess you're just afraid to debate thanos because he'll destroy you with logic and slash or his big bejazzled glove, another lifeist debunked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jealous?"

Solitair posted:

I admit, I'm curious to see why the rebuttal is nine hours long. Maybe I'll watch it if I have a free weekend.

Yeah Film Robert's BvS epic is one thing but when your video about dark souls is longer than Satantango there should be a moment where you reconsider if it's worth it.

business hammocks posted:

They're doing a pretty good job of identifying the nazi furries too--one of the nazis who had been doxxing the people protesting the nazis in my town ended up getting identified because he was also a furry (we had no idea--he always wore this stupid homemade suit with Pepe on the lapels) and somebody recognized him from photos of the violence in Charlottesville last year.

Nazi furries, aka Pepes Le Pew