Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

That attitude is also by implication saying that people triggered by a very obviously traumatic topic are not welcome in your community.
This is an argument for proper tagging of content. I don't think people being sensitive to something is ever a reason for it to not exist at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BtaS had a bunch of episodes where Batman catches eg the guy who set the bomb that was going to blow up a poor neighbourhood but can't do anything to the capitalist who paid him to do it so that he could get a lucrative development contract. Feels pretty true imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are no censorship rules forcing you to draw breasts well

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Abby is not even that big! Based on the controversy, I was expecting ludicrous action figure proportions, but she just looks like someone who works out a lot and eats healthy food.
I think the character is fine but I don't like when people downplay the difficulty associated with attaining the body of a professional crosssfit athlete like this. This is more of a problem with buff male characters, where you get teenage boys aiming to look like an actor who hasn't drunk water for 2 days to make their muscles look more defined

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

How come they don't mirror mangos reading them backwards sucks especially physically.
It creates more problems than it solves. Wonder if they ever had to mirror a Detective Conan case that hinged on the culprit being left-handed

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Reading backwards sucks though.
You get used to it. And you have to learn to read panels vertically rather than horizontally anyway

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The virgin everyone else/ The chad me

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Content warnings are different to assuming that people will act out everything the characters do in a story unless you explicitly warn them not to. I don't think that should be a consideration outside of media aimed at very young children.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Everything relates to politics in some way but that doesn't mean everything can or should be read purely in terms of whether it validates your political viewpoints or not.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

my favorite bit is when she points out that the movie calls her a 'witch' and...that's not a thing ancient China called women as like 'oh you're a scary lady nobody likes' thing, they had a ton of spirits and poo poo to use as reference rather than just going 'fuckin witches man'
That seems like a pretty justifiable piece of localisation honestly, assuming the Chinese version uses an accurate term

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shinji is obviously attracted to and in love with Kaworu and I do absolutely think he's bisexual (given his constant painfully uncomfortable attraction to women throughout the rest of the show). I don't think Shinji's sexuality is really the point of the Kaworu episode though, which may be what Anno was getting at. He loves anyone who he thinks will give him validation (Asuka outright says this to him in EoE when he says he loves her) and Kaworu was born to give him that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder how many people with the "pro-fascist" and "zionism" hot takes about attack on titan are up to date on the series or have actually read it at all and aren't just getting their ideas about it from medium and twitter shitposts
Yeah it does feel like the vast majority of criticism comes from people who've read a misleading Twitter take rather than people who watched the show.

Although IMO the most surprising twist is that the recent season was actually good

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I mean to be fair it's easy for people to believe poorly sourced pro-fash message claims when the dude behind AOT is a literal war crime denying 'the military should just run Japan' fascist.
I guess it's true that if you believe unsourced bullshit you'll probably also believe other unsourced bullshit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hel posted:

Wow, that looks really awkward, are they mocapped live or is it just a set of prerendered animations?
The eye/mouth/head movements are captured but the facial expression has to be changed manually I think

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some do and others think it's degenerate filth. It's almost as if liking anime is an aesthetic rather than a moral choice that has very little to do with your political alignment

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Leal posted:

I think I see Arist coming in from the distance to let you know how everything is inherently political
Everything is political. But that does not imply that you can reliably use someone's political alignment to predict which pieces of media they will enjoy (or vice versa)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People who are very online are more likely to get into radical/reactionary politics and also largely online subcultures such as anime

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Augus posted:

sorry but if someone says "Bigots do x" and you immediately respond with "What! That's not true, I don't do x!" you deserve the mockery
I think this gotcha is still stupid when people are using it for purposes other than being racist

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's normal to like things for reasons other than them affirming your political beliefs IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Links aren't really conceptually difficult but in practice seem to lead to insanely long chains that kill your opponent or lock them out of the game pretty often.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's sarcastic, you'd frame it differently if you were trying to defend the subreddit

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think you ever have to grind in P5, the game is not that difficult. There's certainly repetitive fights you have to go through to progress and/or complete missions but I think that's true of almost all games

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dark Souls is a WRPG without all the tedious nonsense

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I know, I get it, I know it's a stupid detail that doesn't actually matter that much in the grand scheme of things but I can't stop coming back to it. It's all muddied with people being mad that story happens and also those dogshit leaks that got so much of it wrong and everyone acting like women are made of cartilage and beeswax or whatever the gently caress and that it's impossible a woman of any fictional universe to have arms that large but people keep talking about her like she's:

• Senator Armstrong
  • Broly
  • A Tank from Left 4 Dead
  • Kenshiro
  • Popeye the Sailor Man or
  • Mugshot from Sly Cooper

And I dunno, she looks about as muscular as any other dude mook you shoot in the game that isn't one of those giant Great Khali sized motherfuckers in here and Uncharted who no one mentions would not be able to maintain that much muscle in these discussions. I dunno, maybe I'm underestimating how much hard work you'd have to do to get muscles like that but it doesn't seem that outlandish to me.

Joel looked even bigger in the second game than the first to me and I could kinda tilt my head and see that working with them being in a stable community and not constantly traveling from one place to another with enough food to eat and more down time than you ever got in first but otherwise, I don't get it.
I mean I think this kindof points to a dangerous standard that's being set for men. What we think of as a reasonable level of definition is set by actors and models who've gone without water for 2 days to film a shirtless scene. Boys in middle school trying to achieve the same look end up wrecking their bodies.

Which to be clear I don't really think is an issue when it comes to Abby, but I do want to push back whenever I see anyone suggest that it wouldn't be that hard to achieve the body of a professional crossfit athlete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The OCG is the Japanese game while the TCG is the international version. Either of them can have exclusive cards that the other does not have (yet) which means they need separate banlists. Also sometimes they rule differently on interactions between the same goddamn cards for some reason.