Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The best things about Mafia 1&2 was that it mechanically encouraged you to play in a way that worked with the narrative. At the start the story tells you that the Mafia are "civilized" criminals that follow rules and are worthy of respect and at the same time it tells you to follow traffic laws and not run around murdering people. As you go further into the story that façade falls away and you gain a mastery of the system so you are running red lights at mach speed and gunning down people in the street because you've learned to get away with it, just as the characters show themselves to only use the rules when it benefits them. Shame the writer turned out to be a racist POS, otherwise I'd want to make a video or article or something about it because it's a bit like Far Cry 2 in how it uses mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

Gearbox also bought up We Happy Few which man is a game I desperately want to like, but so much of their early access was just the poo poo ~survival~ parts of the game nobody cares about.

I thought the reason they got bought up was to get the resources to make the game that people thought it was going to be based on what they advertised, a more narrative game without the bullshit survival stuff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kim Justice posted:

It has frankly been horrible going online the past couple of days because of it.

Hmm with lines like this maybe you should feel more sympathetic to the people bringing up TBs lovely behaviour. Since he and his fans made their lives horrible.

While I haven't been personally harassed by him/his fans, they maybe games a lot more inaccessible to me since they poisoned the discussion about high framerates in games, a tool which is very important for me to deal with my flicker/flash sensitivity, So now whenever I bring it up to devs etc. I have be careful and preface any communication with a disclaimer that I'm not one of those assholes.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

If you want to look at fan fiction that isn't as stigmatized or in different ways, look to modding of computer games. It's basically the same thing except it can actually be inserted into the original work, like if you wrote a chapter of fan fiction that could easily be stapled into the book. Now of course the more female coded stuff like romance mods is generally more stigmatized than the stuff that's "neutral"/male coded but despite being basically the same it's treated very differently than regular fan fiction.

I'd almost consider speedrunning in this since it's basically just modding the social rules around the game instead of the software ones and since it's a template that is applied to a lot of different games it's basically the equivalent of a coffee shop or high school AU fanfiction, you take parts of the work and put it in a different context.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ungulateman posted:

the average player is so bad at rts games that dota, league of legends and all of their derivatives ate up their entire player base, basically.

or to be more charitable, the skill set that RTS games rewards is so at odds with the skills people who play them have that the genre imploded on itself. the casual player of age of empires does not have or want to have 100+ effective APM or a small set of rotely memorised openings, they want to make broad strategic and tactical decisions over a moderately long period punctuated with bursts of action - and that's something that the 'MOBA' genre has cleaned up in. the warcraft 3 ladder died long before the custom games did.

it doesn't help that turn-based games - ranging from the directly analogous 4x to the more abstract X-Com - squeeze the genre from the other, less frenetic direction.

The thing that was brought up in another thread a while back(kickstarter games IIRC) the problem is that most RTS players back when they were popular play mostly campaign, skirmish or humans vs AI mulitplayer but most developers started targeting the competitive VS demographic. An RTS without a single player campaign is going to have a harder time recruiting a player base since it means there is no way to start on your own, you have to be introduced and taught by friends. The same is true for a lot of genres, you can look up trophy/achievement data and see that a lot of players don't even touch the multiplayer(for a lot of different reasons). We usually see comments that a lot of players don't finish games, but in this era where every game seems to pivot towards MP it's important to show that doing it that way will exclude a lot of players.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

khwarezm posted:

The trouble with this is that the idea that recent RTS games don't put a lot of time and effort into their single player is really not true at all, most of the ones released in the last five or so years have extensive single player components like campaigns or skirmishes. I think the genre has always just been niche and hard to do properly and now it gets crowded out since there's so much else out there.

I admit I haven't really kept up with recent RTS games because they "pushed me out" years ago, both because of MP focus and lack of basebuilding, and I haven't seem any that seemed to do what I cared about enough to go back. What recent RTS games do decent single player campaigns and skirmish modes?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

khwarezm posted:

Grey Goo, Halo Wars 2, Starcraft 2 and Homeworld Deserts of Kharak are recent and put a lot of emphasis on their campaigns (but all of them had a lot of problems with them at the same time). In addition all of the recent AoE2 expansions have tons of extra missions and even stuff like Dawn of War 3, for all of its issues, has a campaign. I think the problem with modern RTS games has little to do with too much emphasis on Multiplayer but that's a commonly hit upon reason for people who just want to chill with giant armies, the issues as I see it is that the whole genre has kind of hit a cul-de-sac where it's not clear what real innovation can happen mechanically, and as a result titles like DOW turn into this unholy amalgamation of RTS and MOBA games that satisfies nobody, or else, in an effort to make them less micromanagement focused, the games become so streamlined and automated that player input becomes almost pointless. RTS games were never incredibly popular but they've especially had their lunch eaten in recent years by MOBA titles and the whole genre absolutely does not work in the console realm despite repeated efforts which is really hobbles them, meanwhile it harder to make the games with current current graphical standards while also having the amount of content they had in the past, which is something I always see criticized about newer RTS games.

Finally, from my experience, it seems like old school fans just tend to stick with the old classics rather than move on to later titles, probably because of the aforementioned issues. I play lots of AoE2 and it's endlessly fascinating how that game still has a very healthy playerbase after almost 20 years, so healthy that active development has started for it again and tons of new content has been added since it went on steam which I've never seen before, but then you look at the later titles in the Age Of series and the playerbase drops off dramatically, which is a shame since I actually really like Age of Mythology.

I'll look into those.
MP focused doesn't just mean no or bad SP campaigns , it also means stuff like balance patches to make things fair for VS but removes fun/interesting things from the singleplayer modes.

It's funny you bring up both innovation and lack of fan base for post AoE2, because as I recall a lot of fans really disliked AoE3 because it was too different and the same could probably be said for the AoMythology as well. Rise of Nations was called the "real AoE3" because it was less innovative/different than the games people liked. And while I do agree that stagnation might be bad, it feels like games have a higher spoken burden placed on them to be innovative than other media, at least until GoTY list where most games have no stuff young than the 90's/00's.
You can just tell good stories with games, they don't have to revolutionize the media to be worth anything. How many of the books and films actually bring something really new that changes the medium?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

khwarezm posted:

When you mention this, what kind of thing are you thinking about exactly? Because I'm not sure if I've played many RTS games where I feel like multiplayer balance deprived me in the singleplayer.

E; I guess DoW3 actually.

I don't remember exact RTS examples but generally it's stuff that by changing prereqs or cost of things they are no longer possible to do at a time where they might actually work, because they weren't necessarily the best way but they were fun.
One non-RTS example from Diablo 2 though is that around patch 1.08 or 1.09 they reduced the necromancers max amount of minions from 61 to like 15 because it worked better with the way people played multiplayer. this killed a big part of the fun for me with that class.

Fake Edit: I think C&C General did something like quadruple the build time of tunnel networks, which stopped you from doing fun hit and run stuff or emergency evacuations.

khwarezm posted:

Like there's an AoE4 coming out but does anyone really need it? Online I commonly see people say 'make it as much like AoE2 as possible and it'll be good' which begs the question whats even the point.

I mean isn't the AoE2 HD expansions functionally AoE 4? they just don't use the name but after all these years I feel like it's not the same work as the original AoE2. Do you feel the same thing about books or movies? What's wrong with actually just wanting more of the same thing? Do you feel the same about other media? Should the author of a book overhaul their vocabulary and voice when they make a sequel?
Sure sequels don't have to be exactly the same and stagnation can be pretty bad but on the flipside I think that if you aren't going to do something similar, why even use the same name? A name tells people to expect certain things because it has connotations, that's what brands are.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

sexpig by night posted:

me and my dingus friends thought our RTS lan parties were like, the loving Matrix level future. We were dumb nerd kids who thought the fact that we could do RISK but ON THE COMPUTER with UNITS and BUILDINGS was absolute madness. That chunk of internet history was a weird but kinda beautiful time where we had a lot of wonder at what was happening. Obviously there's tons to be amazed about now and God help me I'd never trade my crappy wi-fi for the old dialup days or whatever but it is insane to think how rapidly the shift from 'my university has a computer, it takes up a room and you need five boxes of punch cards to do one thing (no poo poo my boyfriend's mom took that class, she worked with punchcards and all and thought she was getting ready for the fuckin space age)' to 'now we can have computers...IN OUR HOUSE...Look I can download a picture that some dude in China put up holy poo poo' to 'I carry a computer in my pocket and yell at it when it takes ten seconds to show me the hellsite I go to get called a human being on'.

The march of technology is pretty weird, my parents summer cottage in the woods doesn't have year-round water but this summer they are getting a 100/100 fibre connection because mobile internet just isn't enough for them. It's OK to have to go to the outhouse in the middle of the night, just as long as you have unlimited high speed internet.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

achillesforever6 posted:

Wait I thought Age of Mythology is regarded pretty well in the RTS community both contemporary and today :psyduck:

That wasn't meant as a "no one likes this" but just a a comment on how some fans of AoE2 didn't like how it diverged on what some of them considered core points to their enjoyment.
Though I think part of the reason it's liked is that it wasn't a mainline entry, that really gives some leeway when it comes to changes since it doesn't mean it's the new core of the series. I remember C&C Generals getting some complaints about how it changed too much but at least it was just a side entry.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TGLT posted:

Nothing as punk as caring about an authority figure's opinion. Dude also doesn't like Shadowrun.

IIRC it's mostly that he doesn't like elves and people repeatedly going " hey hey look they made a game based on your stuff" when he has had nothing to do with Shadowrun and doesn't really care about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i can see why someone could see GTA but it didnt seem that GTA to me. i liked all the weird stuff like the robo jaw lady. the dude brain frying the confrence dude. it felt like cyberpunk mixed with dredd. which looks amazing. if this were someone else id be worried but cdproject red knows how to handle and write good stuff. plus cyber rednecks are cool.

Speaking of the trailer the jaw lady and brain frying is pretty standard cyberpunk stuff, It's still really cool but it shows up pretty often.

Honestly if I had only seen this trailer and knew nothing of CDPR or Pondsmith I too would probably think it looks pretty much like a GTA with a 80's/cyberpunk paint. That I feel is the thing about the tweets form others as well, they bring up their trust in the developers/series but Gibson only mentioned the trailer and seriously trailers not being representative is still pretty common. And really unless you are really into something most people are only going to be exposed to trailers, they aren't going to dig into the behind the scenes stuff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Max Wilco posted:

I remember reading an excerpt of Cline's Armada around the time it got released, and that's the other half of what makes his writing annoying. It's forced and obnoxious as hell, but the stuff he references is the most obvious, surface level stuff. Like, the most interesting thing I read about the RP1 movie was that one of the character cameos was Regina from Dino Crisis, and that's only because I think most people have forgotten Dino Crisis.

Like if I wrote a novel, I'd probably litter it with references to things I like, but I'd try to be discreet about it. Even then, it'd probably be stuff that most people wouldn't even pick up on.

Isn't that the point? By making references that most people get but presenting them as "secret & obscure" knowledge you are making most of the audience feel special, it's a cynical thing to do but it doesn't means it's not effective. I'm not familiar enough with Ernest Cline to know if it's intentional or if he's only familiar with the common stuff though.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hellblade was good so I was sad to hear that the developer got swallowed up by Microsoft. I mean it's good for them to get financial backing but it was also great to see that a team could put out an excellent product without the need for the AAA market bloat.

It think it's good because it may mean that the next time Ninja Theory makes a game that profits of disability they might learn from microsoft recent efforts and actually achieve some basic accessibility.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

:thunk: on multiple levels

Can you expand on why you think that? NT spent a lot of their PR on how they consulted with psychologists and how Senua was character affected by psychosis, but they've been criticized for not even trying to make the game playable by people with similar symptoms. The perspective pattern matching stuff is apparently really hard for some people because their brains present a lot of better matches than the one required by the game. Then there is a the way more common stuff like having subtitles often be missing, wrong or just mistimed for a lot of dialogue even for stuff like gameplay hints or how there are puzzles that rely entirely on sound with no way other than pure brute force for people with less than perfect hearing. They've also gotten criticism for presenting mental illness as some kind of helpful superpower. So yeah they built and sold a game on the main character having a disability but didn't make the game playable for people with disabilities.

Contrast that with Microsoft recently putting out a lot of a11ly stuff even announcing the release of their adaptive controller at a pretty reasonable price. Microsoft is far from flawless but in this area they are miles ahead of Ninja Theory and I hope the acquisition will bring NT up to speed.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The Monster Hunter knockoffs like Toukiden or God Eater avoid the colonialism stuff by explicitly having the monsters invade and attack the human world instead of you going out to claim theirs. Sure it means it's closer to more general post-apocalypse but it avoids some unfortunate connections to horrible real life stuff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the game mentions a few times that Shoreline is basically just South African Blackwater and do dirty work for dictators and poo poo.

Didn't they make a DLC where you play as their leader? Or did I mix something up?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i did in MGS 5.

Did you then send them across the ocean to be tortured/brainwashed into joining your slave legion? Not exactly the good guy route.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alaois posted:

Their leader Nadine is the sidekick in Lost Legacy after having been ousted from the company because of how catastrophic the events of 4 were for them.

Do they try to redeem her or does being ousted from your PMC make you a good guy despite all the lovely things they did under your command?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Alternatively Jurassic Park owned and operated by Konami.

I don't think putting dinosaur pachinko machines in cages is going to get a big enough audience to be profitable.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. just ignore or if you really want to, just block.

https://twitter.com/Delafina777/status/1014302371805986816

i think poo poo like this is what got her sacked. You probably shouldn't go off on people on your work account.

I'm pretty sure that's her personal account not a work account.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it was still pretty public and named her company.

didnt know about him, maybe different reasons. they may have said "gently caress it" and decided to get rid of two problematic people in one sitting.

Fabricated posted:

This seems more like it was a convenient excuse to get rid of two employees they probably already weren't very hot on.

Hadn't the guy worked there for ~10 years or so? There must have been more convenient times to get rid of him w/o encouraging internet shitheads. It seems way more likely that they just folded to the shitheads.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

It's not surprising that fascists etc. like Half life 2, the most prominent female character is a woman of colour who pretty much exists solely to stroke your ego and tell you how amazing you/Gordon, the most whitebread non-character ever is, switching Gordon for Ivan the space biker would actually improve Alyx since it would mean that she is attached to someone with slightly more personality .
The fact that for Gordon she was a literal child a few days ago makes them trying to make their relationship even vaguely romantic really loving creepy. Looking it up on a wiki(so it might be wrong) but her asian mother is literally called Azian, WTF?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sanguinia posted:

I would argue that CoD 4, aka MW1 was the outlier to all the other ones, in that it did have at least some degree of said commentary.

I feel like maybe there was a glimmer in MW3 as well? But I honestly don't remember it that much so probably not.

Wasn't CoD4:MW the one the devs actually got asked about some of the "commentary" and said that they just did it because it looked cool?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah "leaving politics at the door" seems a bit of an odd mission statement since one the GG shitheads rallying cries is "keep politics out of games", it really seems like missing the point if you are actually trying to "save" the escapist. I do think it's beyond salvageable though, why would you even try? any other name or even a new one would be far more beneficial than one that's heavily associated with GG and right-wing extremism.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I love how people here are praising Hideo Kojima as progressive and good when MGS4 had a button for molesting people , PW had most of the cast creeping on someone they thought was underage and 5 has you recruit a loving slave legion by kidnapping them and sending them across the ocean to be brain washed. Survive was a lot more progressive what with none of the female characters being fetishised , almost more black characters than than the rest of the series combined and it's entire theme is reuse ,recycle and repurpose which is contrasted with the earlier MGS games spending tons of resources to repeat the same plot points and set pieces.

FoldableHuman posted:

Yeah, part of what makes Dog Days so utterly fascinating is that it feels like it would be at least interesting if it weren't so god drat unplayable.

Also if it had an ending that wasn't so abrupt that it becomes comical.

Honestly I found the first K&L succeeded better at being interesting, especially as a contrast to today's dad games. Two completely unsympathetic balding white guns loving everything up because of some macho protect my family bullshit and the game does nothing to present them as being even close to right. Kane even fails at redeeming himself when he tries instead of the game going, " he did a good thing at the end so every lovely thing is forgotten" like is common in games nowadays.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

KayTee posted:

Has anyone actually said this?

Also almost every Kojima game has a molest button of some sort, it ain't unique to MGS4.

Policenauts let you grope the boobies of almost every lady you meet. That was p. Much his first game.

Turns out it was mostly Dapper_Swindler doing that.

No but MGS 4 let's you do that to every enemy, and they even bother to make them react differently depending on your face camo. They put effort into being this lovely.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, kojima has his issues and not all of his stuff sticks(quiet and most of 4) but he seems like a genuinely decent person and he knows how to make good female characters. he has his flaws but they are outweighed by his strengths. Cage is just a hack who tries to hard and sound smart.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean its true. alot of japanese games have that kinda poo poo even the good/progressiveness ones like MGS. its make or break for people. for me, it depends. MGS i can stomach it because their is genuin good ideas/gameplay/story/themes. but other stuff, nah. i mean yoko taro makes all his weird poo poo part of themes and the plot, so thats cool, as does kojima(with varying success.)

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol at the idea that the lovely cash in game is progressive.

Also PW and 5 has you playing as the literal bad guys.

Big Boss hasn't been bad guy since like MGS3 and the ending of 4 mad him a straight up good guy, PW and 5 even has him out saving the world multiple times because he's a hero, still pretty bad to make most of your cast pedophiles.
And yeah, Survive is way more progressive than the Kojima games, maybe it turned out that the team doing the actual work might have a better grasp of how to do things than the one guy at the top, Also it's odd that the cash in game has a way more lenient monetization scheme than MGS5, no need to buy insurance for your resources in Survive.

Hel fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 30, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kojima is more of an Ernest Cline than a David Cage,. "Look I named my character Snake and he uses the alias Pliskin just like in that movie, also every time you save you have to listen to my proxy talking about my favourite old movies."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

FoldableHuman posted:

I famously didn't finish Dead Men because the game turns into a terrible tactical squad shooter half way through, and I broadly, and surprisingly, found the game somehow even less playable than the barely playable Dog Days.

Unless you were playing multiplayer it's a squad tactics game from the second level on, outside of a few a few sections, even the Havana levels don't change that since it's just a multiplier on your existing team members. And I wonder if the playability things is a console vs pc thing because when I played it a few months back it was a standard fully playable third person shooter, It sufferers from being made in a time period where standards were pretty annoying/inaccessible like the non-centred non-switchable camera.

Fake edit: Ok, it reinstalled Dead Men and tried out playing it with a controller and wow that is unplayable on defaults, I got it to ok by maxing out the sensitivity and messing with the options.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So that rebranding/resurrection of the escapist doesn't look like it's going to be any good, unsurprisingly.

https://twitter.com/Jed05/status/1024071750253006848

Hel fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 1, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

This isn't really criticism related but is Max Payne 3 the game with Richard Ayoade's IT Crowd character running past the screen during an office building level?

Oh was Max Payne 3 also made during that time period where it felt like every piece of media had a to have a computer nerd that was completely unfamiliar with the concept of quarantine or basic IT security? It happened with stuff like Splinter Cell :Blacklist and the James Bond movie Skyfall and it was always a really dumb plot point.

Hel fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 3, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it's still going on, the first Ghost Recon Wildlands DLC has this as a big plot twist

Oh , right I forgot that part, mostly because I was so mad that they made it so obvious who the faceless leader actually was. Nowadays I'm really a true believer that making "twists" obvious is intentional so that most players feel good that they figured it out before the game told you.

Though I must confess that I will forgive pretty much anything for bringing back Michael Ironside to have Sam Fisher almost start crying when he hears that Solid Snake has finally retired. The two series having friendly call backs is something I will always love way more than it deserves.

Hel fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 3, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So I got around to watching the Max Payne retrospective by Noah Caldwell-Gervais and I feel a bit like "what's the point", I think I would have preferred it as a text article. Does he do everything in a single take because he kept stumbling over words instead of doing a retake, and there are a few times where he quotes something instead of just cutting to the relevant scene and let it play that audio, only to have that scene play silently a few minutes later when it's no longer in context, with a few exceptions it didn't really benefit from being a video. It could have just been an article with a few strategic gifs and pictures and I feel like it would have done a better job.

Overall I liked the first part dealing with the original game but with the others it felt a bit to me like he praised 3 for things he complained about 2 doing, like the longer encounters with more enemies, lack of absurd elements, happy endings and the character being different.

Hel fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 4, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Puppy Time posted:

I'm actually grateful for the "audiobook" form because I do a lot of work with my hands that I have to look at, so it's nice to have stuff I can listen to, even if it's not well edited. I'm a lot less likely to read a longform piece, because I end up thinking about how I should be doing work.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i already use audible and podcasts, this is basicaly just another version of that.

Sure, but then why not just make it a podcast or at least release the audio file separately to make it more accessible for people not bound to computers? I know for some making a video means ad revenue but AFAIK Noah has a pretty healthy patreon so they could provide alternate means of access. It's not like game critique and discussion podcasts aren't already a thing.

I get that it's probably that having a video on youtube gets way more eyeballs than anything else regardless of if it fits the medium or not, and splitting views would mean that the YT version would be algorithmed away by google, so I guess it makes sense. I still think it's a shame, and a lot of you my issues would still bring a benefit to the audio only audience and are almost trivial do to(retake and using game audio instead of quoting).

Maybe it's because I fell for the hype but my first experience with Noah was pretty disappointing, should I try any of his other videos or would they bring out the same feelings from me?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kim Justice posted:

My favourite Noah video is probably Custom Game, the one he did about various Half-Life mods.

Linear Zoetrope posted:

His Tyranny video was my favorite, I'd say try that one and check out if you don't like it.

Good recommendations and while they were interesting I think Noah just isn't for me, but hey there tons of stuff that is.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Jordan genuinely tried to write strong female characters with agency but he had...odd...ideas about gender and relationships. It leads to his work feeling progressive and backwards simultaneously.

For being a white male American author in the nineties his work is actually pretty progressive, he doesn't have the really weird sex stuff of the 70's and 80's and his contemporaries were people like the sword of truth guy. Doesn't mean it's progressive nowadays but it's generally more quaint than horrific and bigoted.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disproportionation posted:

Surely streaming of retro games would be much easier than what most companies are trying to do what with streaming modern games through hardware proxies.

Like, cartridge games could probably have their entire game data loaded locally pretty much in a minute or two without needing streaming hardware, and I imagine CD and maybe DVD games could work in a similar fashion considering they load data on demand rather than constantly.

The entire point of streaming games is that you don't need the end device to run the game, either for performance or DRM reasons. Sure, the internet Archive let's you run DOS games in a browser but they are explicitly doing it for games conservation reasons, something companies like Nintendo are very much against.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disproportionation posted:

I'm not sure if that's the point of all games streaming, and I don't think it should necessarily be the major selling point at least for a retro/indie streaming platform - people don't stream other media because they don't have a dvd player, they do it for the convenience of accessing a big library of stuff for cheap.

Streaming game data only and playing on local hardware is totally doable and has existed at least since the 1990s (in limited format), almost everything can run a SNES or a MD emulator, and there's especially no reason that a streaming library like that couldn't work on a console like the Switch.

It's not something that'd work with modern 40GB+ games certainly but it makes the most sense to run locally for at least up to PS1 era games.

When you are talking about streaming the game data, are you talking about starting every session by downloading the game? Because why not just let you keep the data and put a DRM launcher around it like steam and skip the streaming step completely, sure it's a tiny download for the end user but it would build up unnecessarily for the provider, it works for film and tv since you are rarely needing the same data twice.

Honestly the streaming of gamedata would work a lot better for bigger linear games( I think it works like that on some consoles) since it means that the player can start playing earlier and when they give up before getting to the ending they haven't needed to download all of the game. It would also be quite a lot less than the install data since you only need one texture quality level and one language for all the dialogue which amounts to most of the data anyway.

Also while the viewers don't watch streamed movies because they don't have a DVD/DB drive, for the companies it's attractive because it mean they can only watch it when they say ok and copying is harder.

Fake edit: Didn't Remedy's last game have you stream live action video from their servers instead of cutscenes? How did that pan out for they legitimate players? I know the pirate version had local videos and thus was the superior version.

Hel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 14, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I wish I could find that twitter thread of someone hooking up a fresh computer to a fresh internet line and after watching 2 videos on youtube started getting nazi recommendations. There is a lot of stuff about how what the youtube algorithm prioritizes is pretty much exactly what the extreme right puts out, Intentionally or not.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Falstaff posted:

I recall one of the Bard's Tale games was centred around a chosen one narrative... Only there were a bunch of chosen ones running around, all prophesied to defeat the great evil. Turns out the good guys were just telling every gullible idiot they could find that they were the chosen one, and just hoping one of them would get lucky enough to get the job done.

That was the 2004 one, it actually had a lot of really neat things, one of the endings have you elope with the big bad.
My favourite twist on the prophecy is probably Arcanum where it starts you of with surviving a zeppelin crash which is interpreted as matching the prophecy of being a reincarnation of someone from a 1000 years ago, later you find out the he was an immortal elf and never actually died so the entire thing is bullshit. You do hit him up for some help because prophecy or not you have to save the world anyway.

Hel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 16, 2018

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

nine-gear crow posted:

This is why if they ever make an Uncharted 5 (or Uncharted 7, actually if you factor in Golden Abyss and Lost Legacy) it better star Nate and Elena's daughter, or be some kind of God of War 2018-style Daddy-Daughter road trip game.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

La Mulana 2 beat them to that, and is a better ruins exploration game to boot.

Why is there this fascination with generational characters? It shows up in Uncharted 4 and every Tomb Raider reboot and a lot of other stuff, too me it feels like it's just a diet chosen one. I get it a bit when they just want to rejuvenate that main character and switch to their identical child , but both Uncharted and Tomb Raider do it retroactively and just add that backstory to the MC's parents . Of course the main character is good at archaeology/jumping/murder because their parent was too.
I wonder how Rhianna Pratchett felt after going really hard on the fact that she was a writer in her own right instead of just because of her father was, then went on to write the newest Tomb Raider reboot which is all about "Hey Lara become the Croft your ancestors were, finish your father's work". Original Lara Croft was disowned for being an adventurer and had to fund her expeditions and lifestyle by writing travel books vs the new Lara Crofts just relying on the family wealth and her fathers research.
I get that you might want to do the family heirloom or the next generation finishing off the previous's unfinished work, but I see no reason for why you couldn't do that with a non-family mentor/teacher just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

My favourite thing about the story/action disconnect in GTA 4 is that it inspired someone to make an attempt at a guide for a crimeless playthrough. It's honestly pretty interesting if very nerdy