Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Zedd I think you missed an opportunity with that thread title for "You Can (Not) Apologize".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Akett posted:

You can just turn the "and" into a plus and remove the space before the colon and it gets to 69 characters.

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Can (Not) Apologize

Nice!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

I love/loathe how some of them are just straight up "FACT: Nuh-uh those women are lying liars becase... uh... I SAID SO!!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Max Wilco posted:

Back when Halo was at height of its popularity, I was on the bandwagon of people who thought Halo was overrated and was responsible for the death of classic FPS style (Quake, Duke3D, etc.). However, in the last couple of years, I've looked at the Halo games, and I have thought about playing them (not that Microsoft has made it real easy), because they do seem pretty solid.

The Halo games (up until 4 when they change studios) are all quite good and well worth a play if you have the opportunity to do so.

I think what people like Bob hate about them though is that Halo really did fundamentally change the market for videogames; Prior to it, they were something of a niche hobby outside of kids playing the new Mario/Sonic/etc, but suddenly you've got this easy-to-learn mature-themed shooter that just about anyone can pick up and play for short matches. Online. That caused a big explosion in game development, because there was a veritable gold rush to chase Halo sales figures with anything they can think of.

Hell some studios still measure success by Halo-level numbers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I really don't think it's good to speculate as to why they're still on the site. Remember, no harassment of people who are still on there. Brad got a good chunk of harassment recently.

Nobody's harassing them, but there is a point of attrition where it starts looking less like a choice to leave and more like a choice to stay. Especially with how rapidly people have jumped ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Do we think the video's going to actually be made by Doug, or is Mike Michaud actually going to come in front of a camera and drive a final nail in the company personally?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically, if they're forcing Malcolm and Tamara to be a part of it instead of plunking Doug's doofy rear end down alone in front of a camera in his living room and having him wing it, then whatever video statement they put out is 100% going to be some over-produced tone deaf fart that you would almost mistake for parody at first blush.

I admittedly haven't looked at their twitter accounts or anything, but confirming a video's coming doesn't mean they're in it. Could just be "yep, word from on high is there'll be a video soon".

e X posted:

Sorry, but iirc, wasn't there a call to NOT shame or question contributes who haven't left the site? And even if there wasn't, could we keep that to a minimum? Coming from the peanut gallery, it comes across as some what disingenuous, especially when "offense" of the person in question is literally just not commenting on something on social media. I get that there is a lot sympathy towards the people involved in this and that some of them even post here, but the vast majority us are just anonymous posters in a lovely thread on the internet, so we aren't really entitled to any information or statement from anybody involved. So, could we at least wait with the calls for boycotts until anybody actually actively starts to defend Channel Awesome?

That call came through when there were 20-30 producers and one or two leaving was by individual choice. Which is pretty reasonable. When CA started doubling-down on their bullshit with an indefensible confrontation about how it's all lies and fraud (with a video coming no less), along with being down to nine producers after a rapid mass-exodus it paints a very different picture.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mokinokaro posted:

Larry has said he wants to leave but "might not be able to afford to" which makes me wonder if there's a contract involved

Probably more like Channel Awesome revenue + youtube revenue is a living wage but youtube revenue alone isn't.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Leal posted:

I kinda wish we were privy to the response CA made to each contributor who left. I'm curious if CA tried to persuade people to stay or if it was just a "kay" response. It really seems like they're attempting to only make themselves look good, which is really looking like they're focused solely on the youtube channel and Nostalgia Critic.

You're forgetting that several once-key contributors have been fired with a brief Skype message and discovering they no longer have access to their account on the CA website along with their videos being removed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Darth Walrus posted:

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CA’s management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status...5681969153?s=21

Well that's a twist I didn't see coming .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Sarcopenia posted:

Considering the subject at hand I think these reactions are pretty gross.
Edit:^^Thankfully beaten to the punch

I never meant mine as a brushoff of what happened. There's just only so many ways you can say "what the gently caress?!" when you get "JewWario was a rapist" dropped on you like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mokinokaro posted:

The first two will probably hold out to the bitter end. I've never heard of the others and they don't seem to post much outside of Larry.

Larry, also, is apparently not that tied to youtube videos anymore as he might be becoming a game show host.

Larry's mentioned on twitter that he's only stayed so as to watch it all implode from the inside, rather than staying out of loyalty or whatever.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

You gotta include the before pic:

BEFORE

AFTER

Out of curiosity, are Channel Awesome going to get any money out of having all those videos still linked via the "Sure you're all gone, but gently caress you we're listing your videos anyway Archived Shows" tab?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mokinokaro posted:

Battlegeek said on their discord that they know one of the three remaining folks is also leaving, but they want to leave the announcement to that person.

It's Snob or Buster then. Larry's very vocally "out", but he's just hanging in to see if he can be the last one standing for the hell of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Leal posted:

I may have made a mistake.

I can't help but think this should be made worse for Leal by having someone else decide on the specific Neptunia game for them. Because that can only end well, I assume.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Just to note; She makes it clear in a follow-up tweet that it's purely precautionary.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it's important to remember how many people just watch NC on their YouTube feed and are done with it until next week. They're not reading comments or looking at Twitter and being exposed to all this.

Doug himself would have to do some hosed up poo poo ON the show to really hit rock bottom.

Bear in mind there's apparently a video response coming.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Leal posted:

If it's Brad I'll LP a Hyper Dimension Neptunia game

Have fun with your Let's Play, Leal! .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Uh, excuse me, the toxx clearly specifies Hyper Dimension Neptunia!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The website is dead. We're not done yet but were hitting the denouement. If CA is smart they'll just end but knowing them they'll try to do some drag out Digital Homicide style double down.

Michaud has tripled down on going down swinging so far, first with the non-apology and now the counter-claim of "well actually...". The video is going to be amazing in terrible and terrifying ways.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Bakeneko posted:

It’s a resistance movement, though, not an army. You can’t expect a group of mostly untrained volunteers to all have that level of discipline. They’re fighting against the First Order because they don’t want to live in a totalitarian society where authority must never be questioned.

I think it was a bad decision on Holdo’s part to withhold that information, but treating Poe in such a condescending way made it worse. Not only in-universe, but from the audience’s perspective as well, since he was a well-liked character from the previous movie and she was a total newcomer.

Her decision also causes a mutiny because everyone else also thinks there's no plan. There's also no larger resistance movement to betray or whatever, because it's been made abundantly clear that the people on that ship are IT.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean the core problem with the chase plot is "why didn't they just FTL a ship immediately into the bad guy ship if that was always the back up plan?"

Or alternatively "why did they forgot that was a thing they could do until the most dramatic last possible moment?"

The answer is because the movie wanted to have its cake of "the drama of 'is there a plan or not? I don't think there can be we might be hosed'" and then eat it by presenting a previously unmentioned solution nobody has clearly remembered existed until Holdo does it.

The narrative is built on a house of cards and it stinks of bullshit because it is bullshit. Which is a shame because the FTL scene is really pretty.

Yes, why wouldn't they destroy their only capital ship left so casually? .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

The plot's actually not that hard to tweak into something fixable; As it stands, with Poe knowing what Hondo's plan is in advance, they just have to sit tight and they'll get out alive. Buuut there's no reason they can't still go with Poe's plan to try and get the Cruiser jumping to safety. Minimal risk, few people and resources potentially lost, and they might actually save the one capital-scale ship they have left. It's better than sitting on Salt-Hoth with barely any resources left, so give it a shot .

Lightning Knight posted:

Given the circumstances they're in this isn't an unreasonable decision, imo. They unironically could and should've done it much sooner. They had other ships to evacuate people to before the big dumb chase sequence and they could've safely jumped away.

Okay, so that's one Imperial capital ship destroyed.

What about the day after? A month from then? Because a lack of a capital ship hurts for a lot longer than killing one among thousands will benefit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you fools are missing the real problem with The Last Jedi

There is no reason why it should matter if the capital ship was running out of fuel because in the vacuum of space there is no friction to slow inertia. The chase should have gone on forever.

While I fully agree with you on your point (I thought the same thing), I think just for sake of argument you could just wave it off as they're burning fuel running the ship's systems as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am slowly learning that the people in this thread are generally more empathetic to the people being discussed in this thread that the subforums I am used to (i.e. wrestling and football). I get that I have to learn how to better mesh into the culture here if I want to continue posting, but a mod and top 10 poster attacking a newcomer for not understanding the unstated "decorum" of a thread is a excessive and frankly a little alienating

"Don't be an rear end in a top hat" is pretty basic decorum for anywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It will not be Bravestofthelamps, you insane trolls.

Any chance you can ban him from the thread/subforum once and for all, while you're here?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

nine-gear crow posted:

Tommy Wiseau gets his ultimate revenge and wins an Oscar for playing Doug.

"Oh hi there peoples, my name is Doug Critic and I remember it because someone has to."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Roth posted:

Now I'm just thinking up casting for a movie based on Channel Awesome drama.

Sandra Bullock as Lindsay Ellis and Scarlet Johansson as Lupa

I'll go on this journey with you; Spoony would be played by Robert Downey Jr, and Patton Oswalt as Linkara.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Roth posted:

Steve Buscemi should be Rob Walker

Nah, John Goodman.

Steve Buscemi would be FilmBrain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Sarcopenia posted:

It ran in Denmark too but it's not on the list of international television.

Yeah if you really wanted "Homeward Bound" to be depressing as gently caress that's your jam. And John Hurt sure liked doing voice work for animals getting maimed.

Uuuurgh the pheasants, the snake, the one eyed fox, the hedgehogs, the badger, and every drat time a there's a rabbit on screen deahts are still so vivid.
have anyone seen a cartoon called "Noah's Island" about some zoo animals led by a polarbear on a floating island? I remember there being a little death and a lot of annoying catchphrases. Kind of seemed like it wanted to be "The Animals Of Farthing Wood"-light.

It's nice to see people respond to content.

Holy poo poo, someone else remembers Noah's Island .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Tarquinn posted:

So, any news on that video CA has promised? I’m sure it’ll fix everything.

If that rumour that Doug and Rob have also discretely jumped ship are actually true, there's no-one left to make it aside from Michaud himself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

The Bee posted:

And here we are, forgetting Larry again.

Goddamn, I walked right into that one .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Mokinokaro posted:

Same with Ernest Cline.

That one actually makes a little sense; He definitely knows at least some old anime, because Robotech and Gundam both get mentions in Ready Player One, along with some general 80's Japanese properties like Ultraman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt was an anime series, reputedly, started as a drunken bet to see how far they could push censorship and good taste South Park-style. Like right to just shy of breaking point. The original dialogue's pretty good, just for skirting rrrrrules by swearing in english (and parodying a lot of western properties).

The english dub is even more depraved because they didn't have to worry about said broadcast regulations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is why its dilemmas weighs so heavily even on viewers who denigrate it – no one cared about the destruction of New York in The Avengers, but Man of Steel taught people to fear collateral damage from war. It also taught ethical emancipation. The movie defies the paternalistic fantasy traditionally offered by the character of Superman, giving us instead of a conflicted, idealistic proletarian figure. The movie’s “nihilism” is truly emancipation. The merciless destruction and Zod’s death show that there are no safety nets or comforts to be had. Victory over your enemy will not be triumphant, but terrifying. The last thread had people constantly advocating violence against fascists, but unwilling to recognize that what they were heading for was that moment of terrible freedom.

Aside from the massive global changes in politics still resonating a decade later, and SHIELD's massive buildup, due to the ramifications of what occurred. Or the influx of alien weapons into the black market and general reverse-engineering.

Whereas Metropolis' destruction doesn't go beyond "We have stopped the Bad Guy and won the day! The thousands, if not millions, of people who died in the churning wreckage of the city destroying itself? Who cares, we stopped the bad guys!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Can you name any actual examples, besides me being stunned by the goon blithely justifying nuking fictional aliens?

Oh no, they struck a military target that was all set and waiting to overpower and destroy billions of innocent civilians .

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

Alacron posted:

Unless he's actually released a video or something I don't care.

I think the general inference is that he's going to be making videos again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Plenty of great anime spaceships he didn't mention. There's the Yamato, the Arcadia, the Nautilus, the Nadesico, the Gekko-Go, White Base and it's bajillion clones and heirs in Gundam series, the Ryvius, and that's just off the top of my head.

Those aren't really "hero cars" though. They're iconic, but they're not exactly the protagonist's main ride. Mecha was also off the criteria too, save for Veritechs getting a foot in due to being fighters first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

Hi, Everybody!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, but the Bebop and Outlaw Star count?

The Bebop was a mention, as was Macross/SDF-1, and the Outlaw Star is flown directly by Gene Starwind like a starfighter in every episode.