Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Chris Davis on Baldur's Gate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTrl1lr_hLU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My favorite dumb moment from Solo is when that raider-leader dramatically takes off their helmet to reveal... somebody we haven't seen before and is unrelated to any of the other characters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked that DS2 let me play any build, Adaptability tax aside. DS1 had Endurance rules, Resistance drools. DS3 was Gotta Go Fast, and Hyper-Armour is for noobs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The derivative feeling isn't solely the setting but the characters: there's Siegmeyer, a lame Lautrec, Vinland and Astraea, the same Andre, though oddly no Solaire counterpart.

The faster pace coupled with the two recurring area types, citadels and swamps, made the world feel short and linear. The halfway point is when you reach Irithyll for the first time, which hardly feels like a long or difficult journey until that point.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There has to be a breaking-point for dudes trying to one-up each with Ocarina and Mario 64 . Nostalgia must account for their speed running prominence because the N64 was a pretty crap console for the time: lack of third-party support, lack of RPGs, tiny game size-limit, weird controller...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think it's an awful shame that there was a cartoon about skeleton-warriors, and yet the skeleton warriors were the bad guys. Kind of like how the heroes of Small Soldiers were those lame tree-huggers instead of the cool, badass commandos.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

OmanyteJackson posted:

Syndrome and the manlet insurance manager aren't bad because they're greedy capitalist, that's just a byproduct of their main flaw, they are bad because they don't know there place. Edna Mode is basically Elon Musk and Anna Wintour combined and she's not only good, but voiced by Brad Bird himself.

Edna was originally to be voiced by Lily Tomlinson, but she suggested the placeholder voice by Bird was already good. Nobody gave a poo poo out about Musk 14 years ago because no one had heard of him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've 100%ed Witcher 3 but that still didn't mean I saw everything in the game.

While you can do almost all 280 quests in the base game there's a ton of unmarked hidden stuff. That snotty guy you meet at the masquerade can be found tied to the stake outside Novigrad, and you can save his rear end from the fire where he'll thank you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which other creator is like Roddenberry in that the IP they're given credit for making was only good because of someone's input? The next person who comes is Rob Liefeld who came with Deadpool's name, Deadpool's costume, and gently caress-all else to do with the character.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No way was I collecting novelty bottlecaps the hard way.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The moniker Bowsette isn't even a combo of Peach and Bowser, but it's too late to change now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDjAFFi5Q8o

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's sad that Data Design Interactive made nothing but wank after the nostalgia-favourite Lego Rock Raiders. That game may have been buggy, and missing content, but it was the tits 20 years ago.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The makers of Dragon Prince said any seasons onward will have an unnoticable framerate.

There was a Full Metal Alchemist movie with deliberate choppy animation, and it kinda sucked though it was more to do with poor plotting, a focus on uninteresting new cast, and the absence of the manga's author personal touch.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I watched ten seconds of RWBY. It looked like it's own fan-animation. I hate anything western that tries to replicate the cliched-detritus parts of anime.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Harry Potter worked in spite of its nonsensical world-building because it had the hook "What if a normal kid like you actually loved going to school because there's loving magic? " Now that we don't have premise anymore it has to rely on the messy backstory and half-assed lore, which on its own isn't compelling enough to garner newer fans.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 15, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know poo poo about game-engines but surely someone in Bethesda would know how to streamline and futureproof the Creation engine, and fix complaints as old as Morrowind. Get rid of poo poo like tying animations to framerate, rendering shadows with the CPU instead of the GPU, cell-loading instead of dynamic-loading, and the limitation that prevents caves in the open world and being able to scale ladders.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jenny Nicholson on Fantastic Beasts 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUJ_ODfc8w

"Rowling had two ideas that she scratched down on a napkin in a cafe 20 years ago: Boy-In-Cupboard-Actually-Wizard and The-Snake-Is-A-Korean-Lady."

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only problem with Wonder Woman was the final boss and how the message of the movie kind of breaks down at the end.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3 had some really sloppy event flags. You can miss out on the climax of Siegward's quest by just going to Irithyll dungeon and trip an invisible trigger, Greirat can only be saved on his second trip if you're clairvoyant or read a guide, and Yoel dies for no reason if you don't do his task before a certain point which can cut you off from an entire ending.

It would have been better if these side quests weren't tied to progression of the main quest because their fail-states are so arbitrary.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know why some 44-year-old loser who never made any real-content kept clogging up this thread, but now he's gone so here's a video about Rockstar's paradoxical game-design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does Keemstar hang out in a storm-drain or is that just an invention of Content Cop?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shamelessly pasting my Youtube comment on Rowling from Lindsay Ellis's Death of the Author piece:

Harry Potter got bad after book 3, but the brand as a whole lost me when JK Rowling proclaimed a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen in an attempt to retroactively raise the story's social-standing. "Of course this narrative with mostly white-characters is actually really diverse, and ACTUALLY the stock Obi-Wan character was really deep and gay this whole time."

Books are at their base element just plain-text, and unlike a video-game or a movie, they do not got updated like software. Since a book can't update itself I can't truly fault it for not aligning with my (increasingly PC) worldview. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be a book that was released in 1960, but it's made timeless because its message against bigotry will always resonate.

I can forgive a retcon that happens WITHIN the story if it leads to a more interesting narrative i.e. Luke's father and Darth Vader were originally separate characters. But having a retcon that happens OUTSIDE the story that only springs from the author's mouth simply reeks of them trying to cover their rear end or appear relevant. If an author has opinions of their book that aren't present in the book then the author should write another book. Rowling's problem is that she can't seem to move on.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I liked Dark Souls 2: SOTFS a lot in spite of its many flaws. I feel that it is the most replayable game because, Agility-Tax aside, you can make any build viable unlike 1 or 3. It isn't hopelessly linear like 3 and has a bit more diversity in it's world. Climbing that chain up to Brume Tower was loving amazing, stepping foot in to the Painted World a second time was bleh.

How long is this DK64 Twitch thing going on for? Has he beaten it once already?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Could someone whose beaten DK64 break down what is needed for 101% and just how nested the process is?

Example: to 100 sync Assassin's Creed 4 you need to master 45 main-missions, beat 61 side-missions, clear out 53 locations of collectibles, overtake 11 forts, reach 58 viewpoints, dig up 22 chests,, defeat the 4 legendary ships, collect 16 stelae, and open 8 taverns.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Demon Souls ever removed itself from the legal quagmire of its inception and onto modern platforms and PC we would be blessed. If they could make a few inexpensive tweaks to World Tendency and Weapon-smithing, even better.

Tower of Latria was so loving good. The game itself is surprisingly small compared to the sequels, with only 12 actual levels.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Give me a lady-ninja and we'll talk.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Surely Megatron would keep Shockwave as a mistress given the latter's loyalty?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What other game has a reputation for sheer arduousness like DK64?

Not necessarily the longest game or the hardest game, but a game that goes overboard with a mechanic at the expense of fun.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 23, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The classic Spyro and Crash don't suffer from collectible-overload like DK64, but games 2 and 3 of both characters have a lot of minigames that can grind one's teeth given how unrelated they are to the core gameplay and how success is dependent on outside chance. Half the levels of Crash 3 aren't even platformers and you have to come first in a drat race to progress!

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 24, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Super Mario Odyssey has over 800 moons to collect and yet, despite them being everywhere, every single one is deemed important enough to merit the "item get" animation. Joseph Blanderson made it sound like the tedious game ever, and he said only 120 moons had any effort to them.

Spyro the Dragon had you pick 12000 gems (Or was it 14000?) and the game never paused when you picked up the stuff, unlike the petrified dragons

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quiet is much sexier if you mod in the XOF fatigues so she can wear them earlier.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Raycevik said RE6 was the "best bad game". I'm not going to play whatever happened between 4 and 7 so can someone summarise what made 6 so divisive? Not that it was an action-game instead of a horror-game, but how it was a bad action-game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Whitelight on Red Dead 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeAKDFiMtDU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who better can run a good idea into the ground like Ubisoft?

Making every game into the same map-sweeper? Adding RPG elements to stuff that didn't need RPG elements? Being on the cusp of incisive commentary and then botching to avoid offending anyone? Giving their grating comic-relief characters loads of screentime?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kingdom Hearts 3 sounds like it's one of those sequels that's next-gen, but they took so long to get their bearings on the new-tech that there's less content this time. KH1 had 13 worlds, KH2 and 15 worlds, and KH3 has 10 worlds. Twilight Town and 100 Acre Wood return but much smaller in size and the 10th world only contains a boss-rush. So all the heavy lifting is the remaining 7 worlds. There's a massive sandbox in the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels, but who the gently caress remembers those movies?

There's also only 1 superboss, no colosseum, and all the Final Fantasy characters have been kicked out of their own crossover.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 11, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What's stronger than Acetone that would give use a pleasing uniform sludge, but won't burn a hole through the floor?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I last played a Kingdom Hearts game a decade ago. It turns out the villains are the most boring motherfuckers. They spend every day doing fetch quests, eating ice-cream, and wearing the same rank outfit day-in day-out. They're probably all gay too, since the one woman in their gang gets ganked early on and nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I meant the the other woman, and not the five or so members who look like women.