Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

gently caress it. Metal Gear is Kingdom Hearts for adults and marginally less embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never did learn how to pronounce his name.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jenny Nicholson on her favourite subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu5bR_89W7U

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm not sure if Gwyndolin is supposed to be trans given that his father Gwyn forced Gwndolin to present as female because he was born with an affinity for the moon. An item-description from a ring in 3 states Gwyndolin did not like their situation at all and complied only because of a sense of honor.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What makes the new RE2 great is that all the puzzles are of the IKEA "Insert Part A into Hole B" variety. How many crates or plinths do you have move like a lovely sokoban? ZERO.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In The Picture of Dorian Gray, which is the actual title, there is this one chapter near the end which is pretty skippable and easily summarised. Here the plot is absent and we get an overlong description of Dorian's tedious hedonism, through his numerous outlets and hobbies. The book itself is pretty short which leads one to believe the publisher wanted a minimum word-count quota.

There's also Ready Player One, which in an unusual case the entire book is skippable, so you're best off watching the movie while under the influence so you don't get pissed at what happens to the Iron Giant.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 24, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Skippy McPants posted:

If you want this experience, then the Fifty Shades films are probably the best example we'll ever see of the phenomenon. Especially the latter two, where Erika Leonard got sick of Hollywood types coming in and messing up her vision by trying to fix at least some of the bullshit. It is literal fan-fiction scaled up for the big screen to the tune of fifty-five million dollars a pop.

Honestly, is there another example anywhere of a popular hack who failed upwards so stratospherically?

Dan Olson's video series on 50 Shades was great if enraging because, like Twilight, a female director elevates a bad-to-middling source-material into a profitable film. But she gets kicked off when the gravy train gets rolling and all the directors of the sequels are men. You can also see a shift in directive-vision because the subsequent films are on a rushed schedule: Twilight was an annual franchise with some heavy special effects, 50 Shades was shot back-to-back.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 24, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Matthewmatosis returns the dead and reviews something more visually stimulating than a Zachtronics game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRA1QTTAxys

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just read the bit with the house. What did I miss by skipping Johnny?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can I get the cliff-notes of this mini-drama?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm going to watch Captain Marvel for the sole purpose of seeing her punch an old-woman in context. Of course since most trailers show footage that doesn't make it into the final cut of the movie, she'll probably toss an old man in a steamroller's path instead.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Why did Ayer get the boot? His brand of half-baked mediocrity never failed to turn a dime.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Murdoch posted:

The Broly movie was neat but I kinda wish Broly himself wasn't basically just a prop that everybody else reacts to/beats up on for 40 minutes.

It would have been neat if Broly were voiced by literally anyone else.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The entirety of Captain Marvel's airforce career is summed up in a confusing flashback that doesn't make sense at the time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You know it's to be good when you get the Star Wars opening crawl is full of [sic] ty'pos.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wonder if Breen knew that "Twisted Pair" was really innuendo-laden for a movie title.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Boogie 2988 lost weight we'd have to start calling him Boogie 250 or something.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish to apologise to Bob that the present-day does not match the fictional pre-conceived notions in his head. I too was disappointed when 2019 rolled around and the landscape did not suddenly morph into some silver-age sci-fi utopia, but instead was a continuation of 2018. I type this on my smartphone, an advanced miniature computer that has centuries of technology behind its intricate working but it is still unable to suck my dick.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The MCU was written on the fly at the start (Thanos appeared in Avengers 1 because they figured Loki needed to answer to a bigger bad) and the Hulk '08 was produced outside Disney-Marvel, which means legally Hulk can only be in crossovers. Disney-Marvel nowadays will only contract actors they know they have open schedules and have at least ten years of franchise potential. It would have been impossible to get a recurring performance from a prima-donna like Norton. Just like it was dumb idea to get a big-shot like Affleck to play Batman instead of someone unknown or new.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would be poor storytelling if the only reason the heroes failed in Infinity War was that Captain Marvel wasn't around. Endgame was the 22nd movie and she was only introduced in the 21st. Hopefully in future she'll beat up that planet-eater with the stupid helmet after appropriate buildup.

When it comes to future team-ups she'll have to be used in such a manner that she doesn't render every one else irrelevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I played B2 until just after the Dam level and I evidently haven't missed poo poo. gently caress you Randy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For a moment I thought the thread was hating on Antonion Salieri who, despite what the movie Amadeus depicts, was a cordial peer and colleague of Mozart.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never read the Boys because the artwork looked atrocious and the tone was off-putting, but I did enjoy Ennis' Punisher Max series. Anything that flings venom at the irish-american support of the IRA wins points for me.

What has Millar done except make short comics as fodder for movies?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It blew my mind that a comic like the unfunnies would use awful GIS photographs. The comic is offensive before you get to the paedophilia/abortion/prison-rape.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Perhaps the Unfunnies could form the basis of a Let's Read Thread that dissects the work and how terrible it is, and how it could have been salvageable. People liked that serious Flintstones comic right?

Not me, though. I can appreciate the odd child-death in an Adult-Swim but this would be too much.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 13, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I consumed the entire Azumanga Daioh comic. Chalk it up to cultural-differences but it could have done without the paedo teacher.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I like the technical pacifist option in New Vegas. It's not blood on your hands if Boone carries out the hit. At the very least you can limit your bloodshed to all the indirect people who suffer as well as one old man who is cut off from life-support and will only succumb after the credits.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I thought Walker left?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Season 5 of the Wire was... a season of television.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I would have been more forgiving of AFFC's change in focus if there was an actual climax. You do not spend 800 pages telling a story that cuts off in a cliffhanger instead of some moment of catharsis.

Also there were a bunch of redundant narrators whose names all begin with A for some reason: Arya, Arianne, Arys, Areo, Asha, Aeron...

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 2, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A good example of a cliffhanger would be the show Legend of Galactic Heroes. The penultimate episode of season 1 ends with the main-character about to get shot. The next episode has his man-crush 'buddy' take the bullet and die. This prompts some drastic action from the main-character and permanently changes the dynamic of the show. The story takes a different course than anticipated and a number of charactres wonder how history would be differed if man-crush 'buddy' had lived. No season of the show felt the need to end with cheap suspense.

Installments that end with a cliffhanger promising change seldom follow through. How many times did Sherlock yank off the audience with Moriarty's return?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Resident Evil, Mega Man, and Devil Mar Cry have all come back from the dead which makes it awkward for any kickstarted spiritual successor. Though I'm definitely sure Castlevania is dead.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The muddled nature of Bioshock 2's plot is redeemed by the better gameplay, excellent pacing, and superb DLC Minerva's Den.

Minerva's Den is when an excellent short-story just so happens to be an FPS.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't 400 Blows have a bunch of sequels nobody watched?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So is this Tevis fellow another contrarian douchebag like that Maelstrom guy?

I wish I could get paid for having wrong opinions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Tevis dissed the excellent puzzle-game The Swapper for having puzzles in it.

quote:

What an evocative game, full of sublime moments of quiet and reflection, with a fascinating conceit – the creation of clones and the transfer of agency between them. Among recent titles that explore controlling multiple avatars at once (Mario 3D World, Badlands, Brothers), this is one of the most thoughtful and resonant. Losing yourself amidst your own clones is an existential crisis and a delight.

What a shame, then, that The Swapper is also just a collection of nonsensical puzzle rooms. Stop everything, stare at the screen, and forget once again that it’s movement that makes our onscreen selves come alive.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a scene in Garth Marenghi where a man gets impregnated by a giant eyeball with a huge phallus. That moment has been sullied since Graham Linehan has a bit-part in the scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Stain or Stein? Like Frankenstein most people forget that family is called "Bear".

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What is it with light and wholesome looking games having so much bad blood behind the scenes? I bet there's a game called "Princess Ponypuff meets the Cuddle Bunnies" where the developers have at least one dead staff-member wearing a klan hood stuffed into a freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Ye Hobbit scholar hath doth a continuation to her treatise on "Game of Thrones" released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGr0NRx3TKU