Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I made it my new year's resolution to not promote myself in the Internet Critics thread. Now that it's the Internet Personality thread, here's what I've been up to.

Nick Knacks: A show-by-show retrospective on Nickelodeon, starting from it's clunky early days in the late 70s to now. My biography on obscure puppeteer Brad Williams is still possibly my best work.

Doctor Who Book Guide: Book reviews of the Virgin New Adventures, the book series that continued Doctor Who after it's cancellation in 1989. The Seventh Doctor is manipulative, Ace is now a homicidal maniac, and Professor Bernice Summerfield drinks a lot. It's better than I'm making it sound. I've fallen off the horse a bit, but after finding a bunch of these books just last week while on vacation, I'm pretty close to getting back to it.

The Goosebumps Monthly: My viewers love Goosebumps. I don't, but as long as they don't mind me tearing into their childhoods, I don't mind exploring all the ways R.L. Stine sucks. (that's not fair, there's a few Goosebumps books that are actually good)

Plus a bunch of random requests determined by viewer donations. Popular requested videos include subjects like Moral Oral, Primeval and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Komojo posted:

Hey, new thread! I'm kind of fascinated by all the CA drama (sorry for anyone who had to go through that), but I also just want to share some cool internet reviews. Maybe this will be a bit of a palate cleanser.

I found this video a while ago. It's a feminist analysis of the movie Pinocchio by GoingRampant, who I don't think was mentioned in the last thread. If anyone can recommend other stuff like this I'd love to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_2Y0RqJQQ

GoingRampant is a friend of mine, and if you're into no-frills feminist analysis, her stuff is pretty great.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's some content to be buried under Star Wars talk, I did a video on "The Wish Giver" by Bill Brittain, where I discuss why somebody might write a monkey paw story for children.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Honestly if someone did an unironic in-depth analysis into the filmmaking techniques in The Room I would probably be really into it. Like from that video I noticed a lot of the cinematography for the closeups in that scene is fine, but it's all edited around a bland-looking master shot that seems like they only staged it for a couple of key moments.

Big Joel probably has the best breakdown of The Room on Youtube at the moment

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Oh good, this thread is also garbage now.

Anyway, two new Nick Knacks for you. First, Dusty's Treehouse, a charming 70s children's puppet show from the Los Angeles area that was used in the mid-90s to scam old people out of their money.

Then, Livewire, a revised version of Nickelodeon's previous young adult talk show. Includes young women of color getting excited about video games, and baby R.E.M.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

A couple of new videos in the last twenty four hours. First, a book hunt video where I hit up some bookstores in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6DOk-qmf0

And then, a new Doctor Who Book Guide, this time on "Shadowmind" by Christopher Bulis. It's very slight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xgXNYpUb0

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

The Goosebumps Monthly on Piano Lessons Can Be Murder. This was has both ghosts and robots in it.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Some light fare from me today, a blind review of the first volume of the Cardcaptor Sakura manga. I probably got all the Japanese words wrong.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Doctor Who Book Guide on Nigel Robinson's "Birthright", a book about proving that Bernice Summerfield can lead her own book and that Ace can't.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

This month's episodes of Nick Knacks looks at the double feature of Adventures in Rainbow Country and Matt and Jenny, both Canadian wilderness adventure shows created by the same people that aired on Nickelodeon between 1981 and 1983.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

My Nickelodeon show got featured on the AV Club

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Two new episodes of Nick Knacks. First one is Studio See, a forgotten PBS show where kids present segments about the cool things they do. It doesn't entirely work. The second is Reggie Jackson's World of Sports, a sports and fitness show that marks Nickelodeon's first celebrity endorsement.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Doctor Who Book Guide for you guys. This one's written by the guy who played the Cyber-Leader in all the 80s Cybermen stories!

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Got a heavier-than-usual episode of Nick Knacks for you, on the show Vegetable Soup, a 1975 PBS kids show focused entirely on racism, prejudice and culture. This show feels impossible in today's climate.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New Nick Knacks on a show called Kids' Writes, where adults in jumpsuits act out stories sent in by kids.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

So, it turns out Neil Cicierega really likes Nick Knacks.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Got a new Nick Knacks for ya', this time on the 70s version of The Tomorrow People, a science fiction show about kids given the powers of crappy special effects, and Peter Davison is an alien cowboy, and Hitler's there too.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

AVGN is a relic, and people like their relics. I agree that James' presentation has stagnated and his criticisms both as the Nerd and in other videos outside that series are very, very shallow, but at least he hasn't shafted his co-workers like Doug.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

For those like myself who don't click links blindly, it's a series about Mad Max: Fury Road and the roles women have played in action movies. It's very good, watch it.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

You all want a video on queerness in horror cinema? Hazel's got you a video on queerness in horror cinema.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

kaptainkristian is back after a year long absence to talk about Disney animation

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Alright, well, this is going to be the video that either makes or breaks my Nickelodeon series, it's my 90-minute look at You Can't Do That On Television

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

It reminds me of Dan Schneider(?), that Nickelodeon sitcom producer who kept putting girls’ feet in his shows.

I can’t believe nobody’s put his sadistic humiliation fetish together until now. Holy poo poo. Nice work, poparena.

There are few things about this series I am anticipate less then having to talk about Dan Schneider.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Also: holy crap you are the guy that did the Opinionated Animorphs videos years ago! I was so happy when you abandoned that Rorschach voice that you did earlier in the series...

Yeah, that voice was the singular biggest artistic mistake I've ever made.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Got a new Nick Knacks in time for Halloween, this time on the unsold pilot U.F.O. Kidnapped, starring the cast of You Can't Do That On Television. I also recently did a trilogy of videos on some of the less-loved Halloween films, namely Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Halloween 5: The Return of Michael Myers, and Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

adamcantsleep posted:

The Halloween series is interesting stuff, sweet pop! One question: where did you find out that fascinating little tidbit that Donald Pleasence had conceived of that new, darker backstory about Loomis abusing Michael for part V? I haven't seen it mentioned in any interview with Pleasence or the supplemental footage on the DVD.

Nothing directly from Pleasence himself, but in the Halloween 5 documentary in the complete collection box set, Don Shanks, who played Michael Myers in Halloween 5, recounts Pleasence talking about this backstory information while filming the climatic confrontation between Myers and Loomis.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Meinberg posted:

In his most recent video, Dan talks about the importance of metaphorical over literal analysis of text. I think it's one of the best videos he's put out, and that's a pretty high bar.

Gonna repost my Youtube comment here: A bit of a tangent, but I actually used to work for Looper and its sister channels as a script editor. Really nice people, very accommodating, but channels like that are common denominator factories, they have a massive videos-per-week quota that doesn't allow for anything beyond the most shallow content. It's an ad revenue mill, basically, keeping up to date by getting videos out quickly and regularly. Ain't got time to THINK about Annihilation, not when you have to break down the newest superhero film trailer, from script to finished video in six hours, and then someone in the royal family is pregnant and you got to get that hot scoop, and then the WWE decides it doesn't want to allow you footage so you have to pull a video and reedit it and I'm sorry what's Annihilation again?

That's not an excuse, just the methods of one specific brand of Youtube videos, and I think in contrast to individual Youtubers like Let Me Explain and BryceMakesFilms, who don't have those time limits and try to appeal to a more specific, film-going audience. I don't know what their excuse is.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

And here's another Nick Knacks, this time on Alpha Repertory Television Service (ARTS), the pre-Nick at Nite service that aired after Nickelodeon went off the air.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hey, speaking of other programming on nick, how do you plan on covering nick jr. programming, if at all? i assume you won't cover nick at night for obvious reasons, but nick jr. was largely original programming and such. are you going to cover it under your blanket nick knacks series, start a separate series for it or just not cover it at all? i admittedly do think most of it can be skipped, but some stuff like eureeka's castle and blues clues were kinda big deals (also i fuckin loved eureka's castle as a kid).

I plan to talk about every show on Nick Jr under the Nick Knacks umbrella. Nike at Nite will get a single dedicate episode like I just did with ARTS, but it's actually a separate channel. No way I'm talking about everything they aired.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Some new Nick Knacks content, an episode on Spread Your Wings, a documentary series on creative young people around the world. I even managed to snag an interview with the show's creator, Canadian filmmaker Paul Saltzman.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

If anyone's in the mood for some light Christmas special talking-abouts, just put up a video on Christmas at Eureeka's Castle.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New-ish Nick Knacks, taking a second look at By The Way, which was up to this point one of the most lost and obscure Nickelodeon shows in its library, but now ten minutes of footage have been dug up, and there's so much more to talk about.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New episode of Nick Knacks on The Adventures of Black Beauty, a British 70s television ""adaptation"" of the book. I mean, the screenwriters were probably in the same room as a copy of the book at one point. Jokes aside, it's actually pretty good!

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

New episode of Nick Knacks on Against the Odds, a little history documentary show that became the whipping boy of early 80s Nickelodeon.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Just put up a Nick Knacks on The Off-Beats Valentine's, a special from one of the shorts that aired on KaBlam! Though really it's a career bio on Mo Willems, the guy who wrote those pigeon books.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Another Nick Knacks for ya', this time for Standby... Lights! Camera! Action!, the Leonard Nimoy-hosted behind-the-scenes movie show.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Popular C/C has a video on The Good Place and what makes it unique among other modern comedy shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2ZQJKD0aWM

Popular C/C's still a pretty small channel. If you haven't seen her yet, check out her videos on media representation of unions and media representation of the French Revolution.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's some content!

bobvid and Voidburger did a two-part video on the public perception of Tomm Hulett, who worked on some of the American Silent Hill games and got poo poo for it. I am very much for any video that calls Twin Perfect out on their poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQR3SRggiF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EfcatLcrrA

Many A True Nerd did a two and a half hour video on the problems of Fallout 76 and how they might be fixed. Yes, it's long, but it's a lot more optimistic and less cringe than your average Joseph Anderson video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31mxU9s6MI

And here's a channel I discovered last night, Yaz Minsky. He has two video essays on video games right now, the first on Phantasy Star IV tells stories through it's mechanics, and another on the politics of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. I like his style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A5yY8hIYmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m0aEO7CrxM

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

hazel has a video up on the manga "Stop!! Hibari-kun!", how it fairs as a work with transgender characters, and how complicated it is applying the Japanese language to LGBTQ issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

poparena posted:

hazel has a video up on the manga "Stop!! Hibari-kun!", how it fairs as a work with transgender characters, and how complicated it is applying the Japanese language to LGBTQ issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

Captain Marvel isn't internet personalities, watch this really good video instead.