Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm fairly certain at this point, Guru Larry is hoping to be the last member of the site. And you know what? I applaud his efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kim Justice posted:

At this point I'm just part of everyone egging Larry on to beat Brad. It's like an underdog winning the Royal Rumble and it would be a great thing to happen on Rusev Day

I also made a poll

https://twitter.com/KimxxxJustice/status/984623288050765824

The results are currently as expected

Honestly? At this point, same. The idea of the site's last known survivor being a guy nobody even knew was one there, and who is clearly taking the piss this whole time, is amazing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

I am so sports entertained right now. All we need now is Guru Larry putting up a CA retrospective as the site's ever non-Nostalgia Critic video to play this beautiful, beautiful disaster off.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pants Donkey posted:

So it's literally just the Blockbuster guy and Larry?

We had confirmation a whille back Blockbuster Buster was out, even if the website didn't update to reflect it. Larry's won this one.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Playstation 4 posted:

Given they knew about the obvious since December 2016, it should kind have been Leia.

It would've been a nice cinematic parallel with Leias In Spaaaaace, too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

nine-gear crow posted:

If Larry actually outlasts Doug of all people on CA, I will subscribe to him out of respect for the sheer size of his balls.

Larry didn't just beat the game. He fought the secret final boss, and won.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

business hammocks posted:

We got a possible Channel Awesome kill screen comin’ up if anybody wants to see it. Channel Awesome kill screen comin’ up right here.

When Channel Awesome goes down for the count, I want someone to poach the domain and have it be nothing but Guru Larry's name floating in the void.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Man, the new Channel Awesome roster looks great.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If that rumour that Doug and Rob have also discretely jumped ship are actually true, there's no-one left to make it aside from Michaud himself.

And here we are, forgetting Larry again.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Balding, doughy internet nerds have been redistributing their pounds and hairlines in webcomic form for ages.

Speaking of, do internet personalities trying to branch off into webcomics count? Because man is that a well of tepid genericness punctuated with moments of insanity.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Wasn't there a game with the conceit that your Standard FPS Gameplay was just a drugged up lie to make the reality of your atrocities more palatable? Haze, I think?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint with the Nightborne is Blizzard making them a Horde race for the next expansion instead of another neutral one. Kinda shits on the Alliance players a wee bit after all the grinding to complete the storyline.

Aw come on, man. We just closed the lore thread!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

DoubleCakes posted:

There was an episode of the Pizza Party Podcast where a guest explained the "Calarts" style in that a lot of modern animators are influenced from the Simpsons and that artstyle and if you compare Steven Universe and Star Vs to the Simpsons the influences are so obvious.

I always thought Greg reminded me of Homer.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
It's one of the things about the movie that I feel was done more for the sake of subversion and being clever than anything else. At first I really liked the movie, but it increasingly feels like its relying on 9 properly sticking the landing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. some of the stuff i liked. like snoke being just some random littlefinger type dickhead who thinks he can play at being palpatine like kylo thinks he can with vader. much like kylo. much like kylo, he has some cool tricks and poo poo, but he is basicaly the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind leading a bunch of ex imperials and their failsons with a legion of child soldiers. like one of the things i liked in TLJ was the captain of the giant drednaught because he is probaly some bitter old dickhead who used to command a star destroyer and now he is taking orders from some dumb screaming kid and one of his bosses wears a halloween mask to work.

The top changes in my books were Snoke being nothing and Rey having no lineage. The former stopped it from being samey, and the latter stopped it from being Muppet Babies.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think in general, cringe humor (at least when it comes to internet randoms) is the kind of thing people engage in for just a few years before going "what am I even doing, these are dumb kids" and moving on.

Either that or they become Kiwifarms.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Groovelord Neato posted:

gw ruined the best part of the 40k lore and for that they should be purged.

Which is this, because GW did a lot of ruining in their time.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Wasn't there magical confirmation that Thanos truly loved the daughter he forced into a child fighting ring made up of her own siblings, who he would then murder?

You can love someone and still utterly fail to do right by them, or do horrible and twisted things in the name of that love.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

business hammocks posted:

Vince McMahon divides the company among his three daughters. WCW invades at the end. XFL reigns.

But he only has two kids, Stephanie McMahon and Triple H.

poo poo, right, I forgot one.

Hornswoggle.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kim Justice posted:

You actually forgot Shane. So...of him, Stephanie and Triple H, who fits into Cordelia, Regan and Goneril?

I know I'm late, but :thejoke:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

sexpig by night posted:

MHA fuckin rules but even it has weird race science poo poo of 'well see some people are just genetically better'.

To it's credit, though, it very quickly realizes 'waaaaait a sec are we doing a thing' and shuffles that aside and even has the 'lesser' quirks shown as very important to society and even proper heroics and all, but it does kinda start out weird with its first storyline being 'plebe wishes to join society but genetically is inferior to even the weakest members of it'.

that tweet about all modern pop culture being fascist isn't 100% wrong, it's wrong, but not all the way wrong.

Yeah, that's kind of an innate problem with the superhero genre. If superheroes are in an innate position above society, they're the ubermensch. If they're feared and persecuted, any allegorical value of their mistreatment is somewhat misaimed due to their powers legitimately making them threats.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Darth Walrus posted:

This is one thing Spider-Man does interestingly - pretty much everyone in it is an ordinary human who was either given or gave themselves superpowers. There's no born winners in it, just people who were elevated (or lowered) by a combination of luck and their own decisions.

That's a good point. My example really only holds up for those born superheroes. And honestly, that seems increasingly rare in fiction these days. Of the major tentpoles I think its basically just half of the Justice League and Thor? And the X-Men, where that's the literal point

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's a funny way of saying Ross.

And now we've crossed into the bad opinion zone.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, the Nerd is one of the few review characters I actually buy as a character, and that's because Rolfe's ridiculously earnest. And his real passion is amateur film, too, so the Nerd's basically been a gag since his inception.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Max Wilco posted:

I just skipped ahead to the Robot Jones section (because, by some bizarre chance of coincidence, I was thinking about Whatever Happened to Robot Jones the other day), and while the analysis doesn't seem bad per se, it strikes me as something that doesn't necessarily feel appropriate. It's looking at the episode like, 'this episode tackles the themes of gender, what separates boys and girls, and the process of transitioning', but when you say it's 'tackling themes', I raise an eyebrow, because it feels like they're putting in a lot more thought than the creators did. I'm sure the rest of the video is fine, but that sort of felt like they were trying to make something more of a show that was mainly shooting for comedy rather than any kind of serious commentary.

Really, though, what haunted me for many years about Robot Jones was watched it one day, and heard Jones speak in a normal voice, when I recalled all of Jones' dialog being done with the old Macintosh text-to-speech voice.

According to Wikipedia, Season 1 was redubbed tk have Season 2's human voice actor. So this isn't a Berenstain, you're right.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I decided to watch an hour long retrospective on Sonic Adventure 2 because I never really liked it and everybody I watch who reviews games doesn't like it so I figured I should at least try and listen to what somebody who does love it has to say about it. the answer is basically "I loved it when I was thirteen and I have a lot of nostalgia and muscle memory for it now" and it somehow takes an hour for him to say this. I may be a little bit broken inside cause I spent an hour watching this instead of playing more smash bros.

EDIT: I guess I was hoping for something like this Mario 64 retrospective, which gets really in-depth with individual levels and the core mechanics of the game and how they work together or don't, even some comparisons to other games of the era and how they either borrowed or improved on what Mario 64 did. basically actually talking about the game and not gushing over how great it is for an hour.

Ceave Gaming is actually really freaking good. Glad he's getting some love here.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I always figured it was an escapism thing. There's something innately intriguing about the idea of finding out there's More to you. Its kind of like why prophecies and destinies also keep popping up in fantasy works.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kibayasu posted:

Time to talk about the nerdiest thing I nerd out about. I’m probably missing details because I wasn’t there from the very start nor did I watch all the various side shows but anyways

VGCW still continues to this day in various forms. The men’s division actually got another few seasons after Bazza left when a new show runner stepped up but he also moved on after a few seasons as well. No one has taken up the VGCW-prime mantle since.

However not long after VCGW started getting more serious way back when a guy named BRYN started Women’s VGCW. He ran it for quite a long time, though he wasn’t able to put out as many shows as Bazza. BRYN moved on eventually but new show runners kept coming on to keep WVGCW going. WVGCW still continues to this day, even with shades of the very beginning remaining.

There was also a non-canon side project known as VGCW Arena that ran during the height of VGCW. It had actual people control the characters and fight online. After the online servers for WWE 14 were shut down and the newer games didn’t have as robust a character creator several of the organizers from Arena created led their own spinoffs with various characters that showed up in Arena, plus others as they had lying around.

One league was EDBW (Extreme Dudebro Wrestling, named after its runner) which essentially became its own VGCW as its scope and character strength grew, and another was BWA (Belmont Wrestling Alliance, also after that it’s runner). EDBW ran for quite some time before its runner stopped due to life. BWA was more anime/fighting game/wacky focused so it didn’t have quite the same widespread character appeal but, well, it’s still going too and now has plenty of good characters.

A lot of the full shows are uploaded at the VGCW Network YouTube channel. Some of the early seasons where things were mostly just about putting random characters against each other are missing but pretty much anything with actual plot is there and organized into chronological playlists.

Stories like Zubaz only showed up once in a while but he’s not the only character who managed to tell a compelling story through RNGs fighting each other and looped animations overlaid with text boxes.

Also for the record it’s Video Game Championship Wrestling :colbert:

Not everyone had a long character arc like the Baz, but that's because with the results not being rigged it can be really hard to "properly" book. But improper booking lead to just as many great moments. My favorite has to be Koopa Tunes, where Bowser was so floored by losing to the fat twerking ninja from Goemon that he started coming up with elaborate, easily foiled revenge scenes.

And it always ended in Segata Sanshiro kicking his rear end.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Sephyr posted:

It'd be funny if for elves, humans were like a reverse-lolita fetish.

Elven version of Time magazine doing pieces about this subculture that really digs shacking up with someone you can watch physically decay while also keeping what is to them the mind of a teen.

I mean, all three Windrunner sisters have the hots for humans, so maybe? Even the dead one's into an equally dead human.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Dawgstar posted:

On the biggest Transformers wiki for each episode listing there's usually a small list of animation errors - characters with the wrong voices, colored wrong, weird frames missing, you name it - and usually a lot more. There's really only one episode in the entire run considered to have 'good' animation (because they went with a different animation studio) and even then the story is goofy.

Isn't every single animation error canon, too?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Max Wilco posted:

I'm wondering now if Blizzard is due to get axed in a few years time. The Diablo Immortal announcement I think caused their stocks to tank, WOW's player count has been dropping off heavily (though I heard that was around the time Warlords of Draenor dropped, so maybe that's changed), and now they've lost Bungie.

Plus on the PR side of things, they've got that weird Overwatch League kerfuffle they had recently (which I don't really understand), but more damningly, allegations of harassment and discrimination at Blizzard as well.

What recent kerfluffle was that?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Jimbot posted:

The faction is called the Horde and is filled with ghoulish and monstrous looking characters and they turned them into overt bad guys? Meanwhile Alliance are filled with beautiful people. What are you trying to say, Blizzard?

Warcraft 3 made them, the Horde, interesting because it subverted expectations that Thrall and all the orcs and trolls would just be mindless warmongers but then they added dimensions and spiritualism to the faction and had the Tauren join them. Glad to see they flushed all that down the toilet.

It doesn't help that right before this, the Horde recruited Highmountain Tauren (Tauren with a blessing of Cenarius) and Nightborne (distant cousins of the Night Elves who keep the old Highborne magic focus). This means that they joined up just in time for some Night Elven genocide, which I'm pretty sure both of those races realistically should find appalling.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Microcline posted:

The chart makes the game seem more mechanically complicated than it actually is. There are far too many collectibles in the game, but each of them acts as currency for one specific thing.

The giant, glaring problem is that every collectible is multiplied by the five characters who can only pick up their color so you pretty much have to play every level five times.

Then add in a bunch of incredibly bullshit minigames.

I mean, the chart all flows fine enough until you get to the endgame key and its own completely disconnected structure. Literally half of the convolutedness comes from there, I'd say.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

RareAcumen posted:

Brock Lesnar just broke through one of Hbomb's walls. Also he's fighting Jackie Chan for some reason???

Wait, did Brock Lesnar legit pop on the stream?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 may have aged like milk full of piss, but I for their time those were some drat fun games.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Captain America is easily one of the best Marvel films, and just a plain solid action film in its own right. Part of what makes them so good in general is just letting the heroes actually have all those little humanizing downtime moments between being heroes. Sometimes you just gotta get drunk and try picking up Mjolnir for fun.

I actually hope StarLord and Captain Marvel get a scene together for chatting or arguing about 80's vs 90's references and music :allears:.

Only if we get baffled 2000s Kid Spider-Man in the mix too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I feel like the most recognizable Marvel characters before the MCU were Spider-Man and the X-Men, honestly. Hulk, Captain America, and the Fantastic 4 also seemed to have a good bit of presence.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I mean, that goes from being a poo poo SA poster to a poo poo person in general, so I think that's a fair line for breaking out the perma. But either way, glad to see the BotL slapfights can finally end.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I'd love to see an Isekai subvert it's central power fantasy and just have the character fail.

So many of these Isekai feature people who are, supposedly, losers in the real world. But coming to the fantasy world they suddenly turn into action heroes. The implication seeming that their past lives were miserable because the world was keeping them down. I'd want to see an Isekai where the ultimate outcome is that the character just continues being a loser and gets confronted with the fact that coming to another world did nothing to change that, and that the only way for them to actually improve their lives is to work on themselves.

Pretty sure that show's called Bojack Horseman.

Horsin' Around is the other world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think the Rachni Queen is my least favorite resolution, because it's so needless.