Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

macabresca posted:

I don't know about racist chud Arch from Sweden but when you're learning English as a second language you learn it in some accent. The majority of English handbooks, at least in Europe, are made in UK and they focus on British RP.

But most of the media is in American English, to hear someone speak with a British accent here is actually quite weird, most people base their English on American English even though most people have a clear Swedish Accent.

And teachers don't go "Do it over but sound more British or else you'll fail", even most teacher that I've met base their English in American even though the spelling is from Britain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

This reminds me of the time I met someone that forced herself to sound as American as she could when speaking English and she clearly looked down on anyone with a noticeable accent so there's people for everything, I can sound more American/British if I force myself but I'd rather speak in a way that feels comfortable to me so I don't care about my accent.

I also believe some chuds try to sound more British on purpose, I think they saw that moron Sargon convince lots of people that he was smart using his authoritative accent and got inspired,

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Antigravitas posted:

I find it impossible to "base" my English on any particular accent at all. It's a wild mish-mash of spellings and pronunciations and trying to keep it "pure" is a conscious (and futile) effort. My teachers used British English since the Isles are close and were easy to travel to.

Oh, I don't mean that the consciously base it on American English, all I mean is that they subconsciously base it on the media they consume, when it comes to pronunciations it's far more common to use the American one with a local accent attached to it.

I'm not saying that people decide that they want to use the American one as a base, it just happens naturally.

I don't think I was clear enough in my original post, I might still not be...

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Retsupurae's first Ripper series was with Lowtax but he left in the middle of it so Slowbeef had to restart it with Diabetus which made it a lot better tbh.

Slowbeef also did a series on Phantasmagoria together with Lowtax which in hindsight contains some very not ok jokes knowing what we know now about Lowtax. Diabetus and Slowbeef should redo Phantasmagoria too, just get rid of Lowtax on their channel completely, I'm sure Diabetus could come up with a lot better jokes as well make it one of the greats.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Edit: Eh, no

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 17, 2020