Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hey, thanks for whoever recommended Double Toasted. Been needing something else to listen to while I'm working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Conal Cochran posted:

Who is your favorite internet reviewer and how did you discover them.

Hell if I know how I found out about this stuff, I can never remember what the first video I watch on anything was.

It was either Hbomb's buttgate video- because I was actually aware of that 'controversy' when it happened as opposed to obliviously missing everything like I do with most gaming shouting matches- or the one on Virtue Signaling. If it was the second one, then it was probably because someone in the idiots on social media thread linked it or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Probably someone who isn't going to watch a movie right that second? That's like three movies or 10 episodes of half-hour TV. It's feasible that if someone wanted to watch it, they could manage that.

Also, who are these nutjobs uploading 5 hour long videos to begin with? That sounds like a red flag to begin with. They're probably weird log cabin hermits or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesraiFIFw0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from CAD and Penny Arcade basically being the same thing and that- the latter gained the fame, power and money that Awkward Zombie and Nedroid deserve more- even people who make mediocre things have their characters show reflections of themselves in them, I'm afraid that Mr. Splimby's point might've gone over my head.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

Okay, I watched Foldable Human's video on The Book of Henry- and it was great- and took forever to say anything as I am one to do. And I would've totally been down with the movie as he told it in the first half. Kid genius who keeps the family running because his mom's kinda just floating through life- like a reverse Matilda- seems neat, IMO.

Shame about the kill your neighbor because of flimsy justification thrust of the movie though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cat doter posted:

even if you ignore the neighbour killing plot, the politics of the first half, the way the mother is depicted and the way henry behaves is fairly misogynistic, someone mentioned that the writer of book of henry is best friends with jordan peterson and I gotta tell ya, everything locked into place for me after hearing that

stop playing video games, janice

Yeah, being somewhat familiar with the movie and how they talked about it afterwards, that makes more sense than just being an anecdote I had no context with besides 'Oh, okay. That guy sucks too.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

raocow posted:

the absence of BofL has created a power vacuum of the absolutely lamest takes

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Animate all shows like Okami

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cat doter posted:

hell fuckin yeah

Smaller studios are allowed to go for Gargoyles instead if they can't match Okami's level of quality

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not gonna lie, seeing Folding Ideas entries on bad anime would be pretty amazing.

Please do not subject this man to anime more obscure than Studio Ghibli.

FoldableHuman posted:

I can't watch much bad anime anymore. It's either repulsive or boring.

I know it's a bit of an exceptional entry in the halls of bad anime, but Blood-C pretty much did permanent damage to my ability to enjoy, or even coast through the stuff, since it oscillates rapidly between boring-bad school anime and repulsive-bad gore anime.

ah gently caress, we're too late

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you must watch an anime- you don't- instead watch a couple episodes of Popeye.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think im the one person who didn't like that arc all that much

I'm one of the outliers sitting in a corner with a little flag for Hunter x Hunter's Heaven Arena arc.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The go-to tournament arc will still remain the Cell Games though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Okay, so we're talking about anime and I feel like I'm to blame- mainly because of my avatar even if that's all I'm guilty of- I gotta be honest, I have no idea what CalArts means and what shows are using that style. Like, Rugrats, Rocko's Modern Life, Superjail, Samurai Jack, Ren & Stimpy, those are distinct styles but hell if I can say who's behind what though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Cosmonaut released the second part of his MCU rankings/review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUl7y9qNZqQ

This dude is definitely on my "Best YouTuber I Found in 2018" list

Man, with how much people complain about Black Widow, you'd think she was Kratos with the Speedforce and the Time Stone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I appreciate that every single playable woman* in Payday 2 is both 100% appropriate to the sort of over the top heist world they're in and seemingly designed to piss off thin skinned gamers. You got your pick between the one whose actually a professional and is visibly not wearing any makeup, the fat tattooed one, and the spazzy one with blue hair.

*not including h3h3 related content.

Wait, there's a choice of characters in the game? I thought it was five characters and only because someone got arrested at the end of one and they had to hire a replacement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

"Look at this, I'm rich! IT'S PAYDAY, FELLAS! ...I SAID IT'S PAYDAY MOTHERF-" *wall explodes*

Payday 2 has added a whole bunch of characters, some original, some as tie-in promotions. As mentioned, the h3h3 team is in there, as is John Wick (though he's not voiced by Keanu Reeves). Filmwise, you've also got Bodhi from the Point Break remake, some dude from the movie Hardcore Henry, and Tony Montana from Scarface. Gamewise, you've got Jacket from Hotline Miami, but most of the other packs relating to other games are just for weapons or masks.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. I didn't know he was from Sons of Anarchy, but the biker dude is voiced by Ron Perlman. Also, while they aren't playable characters, two of the mission givers are portrayed by Giancarlo Esposito and Mira Furlan (playing The Dentist and The Butcher, respectively)

cosmically_cosmic posted:

There are like 20 characters including weirdly John Wick, A guy from Sons of Anarchy, and as mentioned, ethan and hila.

See, I thought it was like 5 characters and one of them was in a wheelchair. And beyond that, everyone just had a bunch of masks they wore. I had no idea they had a giant cast of characters to this like Dead by Daylight.

Also eh, on the promotional characters. That's been happening forever now. Yoda and Darth Vader in Soul Calibur- one of them- and Mortal Kombat having Kratos and Leatherface, tons more I don't remember. So I don't hold anything against them there. It's neat that they could get popular characters in their game.

Kim Justice posted:

Look I don't know what the gently caress is up here with all this bullshit

So do the bull poo poo left

Do the bullshit right

None of this poo poo loving matters aight

Really nothing matters

I don't caRE What you cunts believe in

I wouldnt be here if i did

Yes I am drunk, gimme dat sixer bittch

edit: NO I CANT KET YOU DO THAT I AM THE REAL SLIM SHADY

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tim Burns Effect posted:

not just that, he has to immediately rush to tell everyone how much of an opinion he doesn't have. Get this: he could also just not post

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Infinity War, much like Spider-Man: Homecoming, did a great job of showing how and why the villain got from A to D. A much better villain than the Red Skull even if being a Nazi is a pretty good way to sell them as evil. Doesn't mean that I'm on team Thanos or anything but I see why he's doing poo poo.

Also people not recognizing that characters are supposed to be the villain is nothing new. It happens all the Goddamn time. Walter White, Senator Armstrong, literally everything. I'm sure if you look for five minutes you can find someone saying Sid from Toy Story was actually the hero.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

lobster22221 posted:

The only reason I find that hard to believe is that Sid was only in the movie for like 10 minutes max. The confusion normally comes from people mixing up hero and protagonist. I have not seen IW yet, but I'm guessing he has more airtime than Sid.

Fine, Ebeneezr Scrooge was the good guy and that greedy Cratchit family was just taking advantage of him. Point being, you'll always get people that will side with the villain because they're poo poo. Whether it's 'Wolfenstein is an assault on white men' or wanting to be the tyrannical despot of a post apocalypse like Caesar or Negan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See this is perfectly fine and good. However the movie should also refute the idea that the "greater good" he is aspiring to is even good at all. The movie treats his problem solely as one of means rather than the fact that his whole premise is faulty. Generally movies do not treat Hitler's belief in a Jewish conspiracy the way this movie treats Thanos's belief in overpopulation causing suffering, despite both of them being equally false.

But who's really the villain?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking forward to Incredibles 2 tomorrow.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perhaps, but the way Harley Quinn has been portrayed in just about everything after Return of The Joker makes me cringe. She's done pretty well in the Injustice games, but I prefer the crazy lady whose legitimately funny over "sexy clown slut"

Same here. Also turn Poison Ivy into a tree or something. Whatever. Just give her and Wonder Woman pants or shorts at the least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DC's animated stuff is still miles ahead of their movies

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtP8fgGtRT0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I used to like him, but he started doing a podcast with his friends where they interview other fairly big YouTube people and it wasn't long before they started hosting all around awful people like Count Dankula, Chris Ray Gun, Keemstar, h3h3, and -- wait for it -- Boogie. That's too CHUDdy by association for me anymore.

Same here, I was listening to them and completely unaware of any weird Maga stuff beyond Kaya listening to Ben Shapiro and being real mad at Neil Degrasse Tyson- which really isn't that hard- and never actually giving a reason- I mean that literally, the conversation always moved on and he'd never actually say what pissed him off about NDT. And Bill Nye for not being a super scientist like Dolph Lundgren- which is really important to host a TV show about science, since there's apparently no other way to learn about this stuff besides Bill Nye telling you about it.

I didn't know who Keemstar actually was and just thought he did something like RayWilliamJohnson or Daniel Tosh and made comments over youtube videos. Cuz it wasn't until Chris Ray Gun and PewDiePie- post calling a dude a friend of the family on stream- were guests and I looked up Chris Ray Gun because I was like 'Why does that name sound familiar?' that I went oh no.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

I remember when Ninja Theory tried to hype up their Devil May Cry reboot by saying that their Dante was a super cool loner like the bad guy from Chronicle, unlike old Dante who was a fag like the guys from Brokeback Mountain.

I wish there was a big wiki on this stuff because I would love to remember hostile marketing and also gamers flipping their poo poo like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Which is so wrong headed I can't even really process it. Like first, why would that be a problem? Second old Dante was better. Third Dante being bi would be like the least surprising video game coming out event ever.

I dunno man, Tracer might have him beat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Basically, it's a problem of tone in my view, you don't see people say things like this about Dead Space or something but Uncharted is different when it comes to things like the characterization and the tone it seems to strive for and how the ramifications of what you're actually doing in the game should probably affect those things. I usually don't care about violence in games but something's always been really weird about Uncharted and the fact that this conversation around these particular games never really goes away might suggest that lots of other people find it weird too and not just because they always dislike violence in videogames.

The reason is that pretty much every video game has some explanation behind why you killify things by the hundred. You're a soldier/cop/special government agent like Resident Evil's BSAA/demon/android or the enemy isn't even human like EDF's bug and alien invasion, they're monsters of some kind like in your average fantasy rpg like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest. No one really gets their hackles up about a quest to clear rat's out of someone's cellar and then you kill 10 rats.

Personally, I don't think anything in a game that I do that doesn't get mentioned in a cutscene actually happens but that's just me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Video game storytelling has come a long way, but it'll always need to make concessions to the fact that it's still a game and games rely on, among other things, a lot of repetition. A movie like Indiana Jones may last a couple of hours, but a game has to last a lot longer than that and most of that time needs to be comprised of gameplay. The extra time also allows for the gradual increase in difficulty, which is an important gameplay element, and which also requires that the player be given oppertunity to practice to hone their skills. All of which means that if you're designing a game focused on shooting mechanics, there needs to be a lot of shooting going on in order for that to work.

Yeah, I mean, it's a game, there has to be game to play along with the story. So they might be a bit overzealous on how many enemies you fight in a scenario sometimes. Oh well. It's better than getting a game you want to enjoy but nothing to do with it. Like, Chris Redfield's been shooting zombies for like 21 years now, but I don't really think he's actually achieved the probably thousands of kills you'd expect from how many games he's in despite how long he's been doing it. You kinda need a lot of enemies to fight or for the few you do encounter to be very tough if you're going to have a difficult game.

And I don't really have anything phenomenal or nuanced to say about violence in games so I leave that to everyone else to talk about. Other than Uncharted the only other one I can remember coming up was the Monster Hunter World thing so I barely pay attention to things even at the best of times.

Bakeneko posted:

This is basically how I interpret turn-based combat in RPGs, among many other silly-sounding things in games. The characters aren't really politely waiting for each other to finish their attacks- that's just an abstract representation of what's actually going on. Nor are they really running around in circles fighting identical groups of enemies in order to level grind.

I do that with everything, honestly. I can't help myself. Like, I enjoy Dynasty Warriors games. I don't think I'm actually getting multiple thousands of kills with those characters as far as the story is concerned though since no one ever mentions how Linkle rip and tore through all those moblins or anything. But that's just me.

Anyway, can someone explain ludonarritive dissonance succinctly? Is it just when gameplay and cutscene clash or is there more to it? Because I can think of a couple examples if that's all it boils down to. Like the new God of War with all these amazing feats of strength and such going on in the first boss fight and then you get to the rest of the game and it's climbing up chains to a ledge not that much higher than your house and if you get hit six times by some scrub 'introducing you to combat' dragur you fall over dead. That feels weird.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Basically it's when gameplay emphasizes one thing while the narrative emphasizes another.

For example, in Bioshock Infinite, Booker DeWitt is a man who is plagued by thoughts of his violent past and doesn't want to commit any more violence, but the gameplay is telling you "okay now skyhook slam into this dude because look how awesome it looks"

Ah so like how everyone keeps going on about how hot Ann and is in Persona 5- plus her costume- after dealing with the pedo teacher. I was thinking like those Dragon Ball Z RPGs where they have you going through dungeons despite the fact that you can fly and level mountains at will.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyway, me not understanding terms aside, Shaun is absolutely right in how we need to ridicule gamers and call them snowflakes instead of racists and homophobes. Also he missed a beautiful opportunity to use footage of people smashing their Keurigs in protest of company pulling ads from Sean Hannity's show.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TGLT posted:

The Persona thing sounds a bit more like just plain old narrative dissonance, but yeah that DBZ thing is correct. Or like Shadow of Mordor/War, where the story wants you to think of Talion as a good guy who's nice and cares despite the actual gameplay revolving around treating orcs like disposable tools, to the point of blowing up your own crew's heads just to scare the other side.

Series would have really done better to just go all in on having a villain protagonist.

I dunno, I think Talion cares.

About the race of Man. Seeing orcs as disposable seems about right though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TGLT posted:

Oh it's totally in character, I just wish the story acknowledged it the way it does with Celebrimbor. It'd be more interesting than the generic revenge story Talion gets if they actually went all in on it instead of letting it oscillate between "I have to save everyone!" and "Time to enslave these blood bags so I can heal." Dude's ruthless.

Again, I think he's more concerned with keeping humans alive and would be just fine wiping every orc, olog-hai, graug, Nazgul, etc. off the map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do Alien again but with dinosaurs instead

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Garrand posted:

Obligatory

Why'd they scrunch its neck up though?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is that a rat? What is that avatar?

Very impressed with how much power Harrison is amassing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I just mainly follow fan artists, so most of my timeline is full of nice art or memes

Except for like 5% where it's the artists, rightly, venting that they're getting poo poo on how they draw characters

That's what I do and my tumblr experience is pretty much totally painless because of that and the fact that I don't really use the search thing on there at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

In what I'm sure is a time honoured tradition, the videos I spent hours researching, editing and compiling clips for have gotten around 1000-2000 views, but the Arrested Development one I literally wrote and recorded in an afternoon has garnered over 40k.

Unless you start making a habit to mention how long you took to make the videos, no one's going to see how long they took you to make. People see the videos/art they don't see the effort.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I always imagined harrassing someone had to involve interacting with them in someway. Like, talking here and no one ever says any of this poo poo is... Way less damaging than say half the poo poo Davis Aurini says.

Anyway, does anyone have anything on nerds and how poorly they're taking the Thundercats and- far more vitriolic laden- Teen Titans Go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm gonna repost this because there's been a bunch of words and it was low on the last page anyway.

RareAcumen posted:

I always imagined harrassing someone had to involve interacting with them in someway. Like, talking here and no one ever says any of this poo poo is... Way less damaging than say half the poo poo Davis Aurini says.

Anyway, does anyone have anything on nerds and how poorly they're taking the Thundercats and- far more vitriolic laden- Teen Titans Go?

Hbomberguy briefly made mention of fans of Sherlock when he went in on how much of a mess the show was but does anyone know any videos about how wildly agitated are about TTGo?