Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

People have stupid biases regarding body shape in media and they'll only confront them if it's something they don't see very often. Most men in games are massive hunkbeasts, but people have been trained to accept that as the default for male protagonists. Meanwhile, women are always thin and busty. Change any of those aspects up and people go "wait a sec, this isn't right!!". Abby isn't realistic, but that's not the issue, the issue is that she is unrealistic in a way that gamers aren't used to, and the alt-right has sequestered any sort of change to the status quo to mean "PC culture run amok".

I only digress about that because I've seen people use models as an example of "people looking like that" as a counterpoint to people pointing out oversexualization in media, it's a bad way of analyzing body shape representation.

Oh no, maybe I'm bad at evaluating people's appearances in another way. I always just compartmentalized things as video game physiques. Most games average around Baldur sized from God of War and if you above that you get huge jacked Arkham Asylum prisoners, RE5 Chris Redfield, Barest from the FF7 REmake or Gears of War protagonists. Baldur's still the only one I could reasonably see a person living at that size without their diet being meticulously regulated and dehydrating themselves to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Replaying NV would be nice but I'm currently replaying The Witcher and my opinion of the games is rapidly deteriorating to the point that I'm contemplating writing a long "The games are bad, actually" post and then deleting it without ever posting…

Pop culture tells me that's a form of therapy so that might be a good idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

man I hope Kovic just is a victim of terrible timing (and, ya know, massive invasion of privacy...) and had normal but weird nudes leak while his coworker had grooming poo poo leak, I always liked that FH seemed like a rare 'gaming group' not full of scumbags...

Yeah, I also hope it's just being an rear end in a top hat and sneezing on people's computers or being naked in the office and sitting on people's chairs or whatever petty stuff people do as revenge in an office idk, I've never worked in one, without sexting minors or grooming fans because there's way less victims in that scenario.

Beefstew posted:

Hbomb will do a 114 hour response to MauLer's 8 hour response to his Dark Souls 2 video, the MauLer will make an exponentially longer response, and it will continue ad infinitum.

You don't need to play an ace when a 2 will do.

HBomb will make an 1hr 30 response and MauLer will make a 87-hour response to that and die in the process of trying to stay up to accomplish it in one sitting because on top of not editing he doesn't undestand breaking things down over a week.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sankara posted:

Music is super super great, people. Strong recommend.

Oh yeah, speaking of music didn't Weird Al make a new song recently?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could see one of those being made for South Park or Shin Chan or something, that one's just inscrutable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jontron? Without a mask on?! And in a flatcap?!?

This is even more cursed than I could've possibly imagined!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Vegeta blew up some innocent people. Big deal!

...Besides if Adachi gets people making excuses for him, I can see why people would gravitate towards Akechi as well

Also Yagami Light.

Yeah, Vegeta killed a couple of villages of Namekians and blew up half a stadium and a good chunk of a city in his tantrum about not being the strongest but for some reason everyone's scared of every rival being Sasuke instead. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, I always took that as kinda a 50/50 'either I'll get revenge on my terrible brother and everyone who's wronged me at once or I'll die here, either way it's over' thing. Either way it's a more strong ending than 'she done got bonked on the head and forgot to be the villain, it's all good now!'

Right, you don't wanna do Goku again after all.

I remember there was one Dragon Ball Z game that had that happen to Raditz too as a what-if scenario thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DeafNote posted:

How would a movie adaptation of Spec Ops even work?

Pretty easily, you just take out the tutorial prompts and floating button hint boxes and you're done. A movie of a squad's descent into madness is complete, taking great pains to make sure the audience remembers how professional and efficient they were at the beginning and how they're not at the end as they're caving in people's faces with the ends of their guns to illustrate how far they've fallen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I think maybe this one is but otherwise I disagree.

• How many Americans have you killed today?

• There is no difference between what is right and what is necessary.

• If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.

• It's time for you to wake up.

• Squad commands are unavailable when you're alone. No one can help you now.

• You are still a good person.

• Can you even remember why you came here?

• This is all your fault.

• Do you feel like a hero yet?

• To kill for yourself is murder. To kill for your government is heroic. To kill for entertainment is harmless.

• White phosphorous is a common allotrope used in your slaughter at the Gate. It can set fire to soldiers and the innocent civilians they are trying to help.

• It's Konrad. He did it. All of it.

• Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.

• You cannot understand, nor do you want to.

• The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

• We cannot escape anguish. It is what we are.

• If Lugo were still alive, he would likely suffer from PTSD. So, really, he's the lucky one.

• Adams blames Walker for Lugo's death. It's his fault they didn't leave Dubai when they had the chance.

• Walker's obsession with Konrad has brought nothing but destruction—to Dubai and his squad.

• There is no escape.

• Life begins at the other side of despair.

• No one can help you now.

• Collateral damage can be justified, if the gain outweighs the cost. How much do you think Adams and Lugo are worth?

• Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.

• I exist and I find it nauseating.

• Walker and Adams have served together for many years.

• You can't go home.

• If the Radioman now speaks for the 33rd, then what happened to Konrad?

Once again, I maintaint the opinion that the game is criticizng Walker's actions and not the player's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Then why do the loading screens refer to Walker and You as two separate entities?

Hmm, fair point. :hmmyes:

So, nine-gear crow, how many Americans have you killed today?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the thing is though, Spec Ops has a lot of little touches that are designed to equate Walker to the player. like, in the white phosphorous scene, watch Lugo's hand when he's calling out Walker- he's not pointing at Walker, he's pointing at the camera.

the problem, though, is that a lot of the stuff that would have made this really properly work got cut from the game outright, because too many playtesters were taking the "good" options and not seeing the intended narrative. like, there was originally an option to just do your mission and get the gently caress out of Dubai and get a relatively happy ending... and the vast majority of playtesters rolled with that. in the white phosphorous scene, playtesters kept either ignoring the artillery entirely and just fighting the enemies with regular guns, or deliberately avoiding the civilians with the WP bombs... so they made the enemies respawn indefinitely until you use the artillery, and had a military truck pop into the civilian trench that you're required to bomb if you do the latter thing.

looking over its development, it feels like a game that could have been near-perfect but got focus-grouped and micromanaged into a much more flawed gem.

e: it's sort of like if, midway through development on Undertale, Toby Fox went "man, way the gently caress too many of my playtesters are doing the pacifist run and not the no mercy one" and cut two thirds of the game to force people to get the point of that route, whether they like it or not, and whether it actually applies to them or not.

Wow, it really got micromanaged to hell and back alright. So, what even happened, did all the playtesters just show up to work, play the game for 40 minutes and evac out of Dubai and just refuse to play anymore of it and go home? I'm having a hard time understanding how this works.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 12, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I am not at liberty to answer that question, I am sorry.

Ah, so not enough to unlock the achievement then.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They did Robin dirty by demoting her to set dressing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

even purely from the watching side of things, people making money off LP means they can spend more of their limited time doing it, which also means more content for you, the viewer

Yeah, I haven't heard of anyone having an LP already made and refusing to release it until they've got 300$ a month or something. Not even DSP.

Having some money coming in while you're making something is a nice feedback loop. Plus, if it's lets plays then that means less of a gap for them to replace their stuff when their computer explodes or a shark crashes into their house or whatever poo poo happens.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dahir Insaat

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I understand the decision but I'm still kinda sad that Chip took down most of their retsupuraes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

If I've never seen a retsupurae, should I bother? Or should I leave it as a relic of 2011?

Its pretty unlikely to kill you so I say why not?

I love Urban Runner and Mystery of the Druids so I recommend those.

https://youtu.be/uWowTD3OFys

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SpaceCommie posted:

Was it Retsupurae who did a whole video chatting about the person playing the game only to, about 8 minutes in say somthing like "should we tell them that we're not actually talking about the video yet?"

I've been looking for that particular video for years.

You've gotta speak up and ask questions if you ever wanna find stuff!

That was Deceased Crab. https://youtu.be/vSd-9ZVbZA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Is Dahir Insaat the source of that goddamn nightmare bed concept that could easily crush you to death?

Yeah, people have been talking about a 'hellbed' for 2 pages and that's what they meant