Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Akett posted:

You can just turn the "and" into a plus and remove the space before the colon and it gets to 69 characters.

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Can (Not) Apologize

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: We are sorry you feel this way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

I stopped visiting the last thread because it was crap, even before all the channel awesome drama.

I hope you guys are cool now and stop talking about loving star wars all the time.

Well, we have a thousand fresh new pages to drag through the mud.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

It wasn't an uncommon sentiment at the time considering that people made a "PYF internet reviewer" thread because the thread sucked so hard.

of course if people stopped replying to thou shall not be named, it probably wouldn't be so unbearable to deal with.

Also, that thread died pretty fast...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

KayTee posted:

(There should be an image attached to this. If not pretend there is until I get home from work!)

Aren't back injuries in the top three things that will absolutely happen to every wrestler? The other two being neck and knee.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Man, there is something sad about someone living so vicariously though the success of a movie. :smith:

Also, his weird obsession with retro gaming is becoming somewhat obsessive. it is one think to be a fan of old school platformers, but decrying everything that has been devolved since 2001 is just stupid. Not to mention that he seems to have a huge blind spot when it comes to PC games. That is especially evident when he keeps harking on about Halo, since that game wasn't really all that special or memorable when you didn't own a consol.

e X fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 12, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Sorry, but iirc, wasn't there a call to NOT shame or question contributes who haven't left the site? And even if there wasn't, could we keep that to a minimum? Coming from the peanut gallery, it comes across as some what disingenuous, especially when "offense" of the person in question is literally just not commenting on something on social media. I get that there is a lot sympathy towards the people involved in this and that some of them even post here, but the vast majority us are just anonymous posters in a lovely thread on the internet, so we aren't really entitled to any information or statement from anybody involved. So, could we at least wait with the calls for boycotts until anybody actually actively starts to defend Channel Awesome?

edit: Or basically: While 99.9% of us probably don't like Alt-Right, transphobic, homophobic or any other prejudice we can be prone to witchhunting, if there is proof of somebody being a shitheel feel free to share it; but we should slightly chill with grasping at straws.

e X fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 12, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

mind the walrus posted:

Somewhat? He literally wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros. 3 changed/defined his life. He also has a massive, massive blind spot when it comes to Spider-Man because he enshrines the first two Raimi movies to the point of being allergic to anything that doesn't fit in that box.

True, but there is a difference between having a personal, subjective admiration for something and being obsessed with it. Like, if SMB3 was such an important game to him, good for him, but that doesn't mean that everything that everything published past 1989 is crap. Hell, even that would be fine if he had any arguments for it that isn't just Jocks :argh:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if I'll ever bother watching The Last Jedi. The Force Awakens felt too much like it was just the original Star Wars, but with better CGI, and I just don't actually like the Star Wars world enough to care about more stories there.

On the other hand, Solo: A Star Wars Story has Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian, so I might watch it just for that.

Honestly, don't bother. The biggest problem I have with the entire new trilogy is the utter feeling of pointlessness that permeates the entire thing. I thought Last Jedi was a huge improvement over Force Awakens, it even has the occational flashes of brilliance, but all in all, it didn't manages to shake off the shallowness that Force Awakens created by being so uninspired in its world building.

edit: Also, while it is true that we tend to talk about Star Wars a lot, I find it quite interesting how the option on Last Jedi seemed to have cooled considerably.

e X fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 13, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

FoldableHuman posted:

Is Mudkiper BotL's alt?

Too few mentions of "ascetics"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Darth Walrus posted:

I may be misremembering the details, but I think it was a mod challenge LK placed where a certain poster had to post ‘baba booey’ once a day for a month or be banned. One day, LK probated them, so they couldn’t meet their deadline. They PM’d ‘baba booey’ to LK as compensation, but LK didn’t accept it and banned them. The admins decided this was unreasonably vindictive, and demodded LK.

SA drama is loving bizarre.

CA drama got nothing on SA drama.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DeafNote posted:

You mean the world isnt blue?

Da ba dee da ba daa

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kunster posted:

How can anyone forget Sasha and her incredibly convoluted catchphrase "Oiski Boiski!"

Pretty sure he was a dude.

edit: Oh, just got it. :thejoke:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Rantasmo just released his first "Needs more gay" video in three month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyHfWgt-XE

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am happy to see that an entire new batch of goons is learning how pointless is to try and counter any of BotL pseudo-intellectual arguments, since he never actually engage in any discussions. Godspeed!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's just weird that even for his passion project he didn't get professional grade equipment despite renting out space to film his new show. and why kill the critic? just keep making the videos (not like they take a lot of time and effort to produce) to make sure you got the benjamins rolling in.

Also, maybe hire somebody who can operate such equipment. imean, if the whole stick is going to be to reactant movies, you might want to extend that to the different cinematic styles as well, giving your parodies a little more depth.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Waffles Inc. posted:

“Not meshing”, in your opinion. A scene “not meshing” is a matter of taste, if a scene “doesn’t mesh”, that doesn’t make something bad. I thought the scene “meshed” fine, for instance. Am I somehow formally “wrong”?

Ultimately this is what I see as the problem; some folks just don’t like the scene, and in order to do more than say, “I didn’t like it”, they attempt to formalize that dislike by creating “rules” that make it seem like their taste is somehow informed by something deeper than their own taste

It's called explaining something...

Seriously, your obsession with "rules" is really weird. You are basically just hawing back what that AV Club video said about essays being authoritative and I think Lindsay's tweets are already a pretty good response to that. An essay is a collections of (your) arguments on a certain topic, leading to a conclusion and you don't have to amend every single statement with a variation of "in my opinion". It is such a fundamental part of it, of any writing really, that it goes without saying. Almost any form of reasoning fundamentally comes down to your own, personal feelings about something, especially when it comes to anything evolving humanities, so explaining where your personal taste, for example, for something comes from, is not making up rules, it is the basis of all reasoning.

But honestly, I think the entire debate is disingenuous. Taste in media is fundamentally subjective and when people try to decry some criticism as "authoritative" or falsely objective, what they are actually doing is being mad that they can't come up with better arguments to explain their own tastes. At least that is how it comes across to me, since attacking the essay format as a whole conveniently gets you out of actually engaging with any of the content of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

I get what he is saying, but he completely ignores the quality of the execution in his argumentation.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah, the harry potter game is super lovely with its ridiculous energy system but I don't think it's intrinsically bad.

It is though

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
This is supposed to make fun of leftist viewpoints, right? Because it oversimplifies things to the point that they are so inaccurate that the comics basically has no message at all. Except maybe that Hippies are thrash, which is a good message.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

lobster22221 posted:

Twitter is good for keeping up with people that publish stuff, emergencies, and silly gimmick accounts. Its weird that people use it as a regular peer to peer communication tool.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Is evangelion worth seeing? I have only vaguely heard about it.

Kinda? At this point, I think it is more interesting as a historical piece than for its innate qualities. Eva has just been so immensely influential on anime in general that you can get what made it unique when it came out in most modern shows.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Harry Potter is great in that regard, since it makes pretty clear that there isn’t actually a destiny or a chosen one. Most prophecies, even the once given by genuine seers, are bogus since the future can always chance.

The series has a lot of problems, but I always really liked that Harry specifically isn’t chosen by destiny, but be his own dedication to stopping Voldemort.
Or better, that he was chosen be the villain, since it is mostly Voldemort’s believe in prophecies that fuels his pursuit of Harry.

I hate chosen one narratives with a burning passion, since they are often explained incredible poorly, so I was very positively surprised when I read Harry Potter for the first time.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The whole James Gunn thing really is an amazing example on how corporations just don't get popular trends, in this case, #metoo. Disney wanted to be part of the cool woke companies that totally support and address harassment in the industry and instead they've been had by a right wing twitter troll, alienated the entire main cast of one of the most successful entries in the MCU and potentially jeopardized the entire Marvel franchise. And yet they still try to pretend as if everything is working as intended.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I found all new the Star Wars to be pretty forgettable, because they all just kinda drown in their own iconography. I think that is generally the problem with these reboots/sequels to pop culture classics, you essentially aren't making a new story, you are merely making a new platform to display established things.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

CharlestheHammer posted:

One day Disney will make a movie as good as parts of ROTJ.

Probably not. Despite appearing otherwise on the surface, Star Wars doesn't really have a lot of story options. Any plot has to relate to the important parts of the franchise, so the Rebellion, the Empire or the Force. And since RotJ actually but a lid on all the three of these, I doubt we ever anything Star Wars related that is more than a rehash.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm going to be that rear end in a top hat that raises objections to a couple of the arguments, even though I agree with core message of the video.

His first example about with 'How did Bruce Wayne get back to Gotham in Dark Knight Rises' I think is a bad example. I get that we don't need to literally see Bruce Wayne board a plane and fly back to the US and disembark, but it's a question of how he was able to secure transport out if he didn't have money, proof of identification, etc. You can hand-wave that away as not being crucial to the film, and I agree, but it's not very satisfying.

I agree with the crux of his video, but I think there is a difference between needless nitpicking about error and inconsistencies, and how enough errors can build up and weight something down. There's an article series by Shamus Young critiquing the Thieves' Guild questline in Skyrim, and also refers to an previous write-up he did on plot holes and story collapse (some of it based on critiques done by Film Crit Hulk)

I've also heard it said that John Carpenter's 'The Thing' serves as an example of a horror movie where the characters behave rationally throughout (maybe not 100%, but I still haven't seen The Thing yet.)

Also, I don't know why, but with the digs at Cinema Sins in the video, and just some general dismissals of it here and there, I now have this feeling that eventually Jeremy is eventually going to snap.

No, I agree with you, people using "plot hole" as a catch all term of things they don't like about a movie is obnoxious and superficial, but this video definitely overshoots its target. It makes up a dichotomy between "logic" and human emotion and than tries to subsume everything under it. That works for some, but not really for all. I also think his fix all justification, that everything that needs to happen for the plot to advance, has to happen is way to simple. True, most of the examples he cites really aren't plot holes, but he basically completely demises that you can actually criticize the execution of something. People can criticize poor characterization or badly explained character motivations and that is completely valid.

edit:edit: Also, I think it is kind of hard to get to invested in most of these movies, because they are all not vry good. Like, maybe they could have explained better how a destitute and broken Bruce Wayne got back to Gotham, bu the Dark Knight Rises is such a boring movie that I don't really care one way or the other in the end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e X fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 28, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

business hammocks posted:

They miss mid-budget movies with novel premises, which is something we can all agree there should be more of. They loving loved Annihilation, for example

Man, a couple of years back I heard rumors they were trying to make a Foundation movie series happen, that would have been an absolute disaster.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I am pretty sure they just do the Star Wars Plinkett reviews out of obligation, because it is what made them famous. From the HitB episodes on pretty much any given star wars related movie that came out in recent years, you can basically gather that they don't really care about the franchise whatsoever.

They were film nerds who liked the originals, thought the prequels were disappointing , and made a huge as video to explain why they failed as movies. But it doesn't seem like any of them were ever huge obsessive Star wars nerds.

edit: As evidenced by the best video they ever did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

e X fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 29, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think we can all agree that the most important, and most noble, form of activism is to defend the movies of multi billion dollar companies from altright twitter trolls.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TFA is to me certainly the worse movie. It had a super important job of establishing this new Star Wars Universe and it absolutely poo poo the bed in that regard.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Christ, can we please go back to Star Wars already?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

FoldableHuman posted:

Anyway my classic VICE story is that they called me from Toronto at 6:45 am to ask me to buy supplies and then drive up to Edmonton (3 hour drive) to pick up a reporter and their camera op and drive them up to the forest fires in Fort McMurray (5 hours from Edmonton) for a location report that will last an unknown number of days. Oh and also can you be second camera and also can you mentor the reporter she's new and also can you be a general fixer and can you leave within the next two hours?

So I quote them my full day rate and they say "okay, yes, absolutely."

I go and do the job and it's miserable. It ends up taking four days, the camera op is a complete piece of garbage who drinks on the job and gets pissy when I don't park in the handicapped space "because it's closer." Anyway, it's an awful time, so I make sure I charge VICE for every last dime I spent. Couple days pass and I get a call from the producer I'd spoken to originally.

"Hi, yeah, I got your invoice, and this day rate is really high. We were wondering if you'd be willing to resubmit at (half what I'd quoted) and also we looked up what you made on the previous times you worked for us and it was way lower and you can't just give yourself a raise like that, you understand?"

"Well, what I made last time is irrelevant, those were for jobs where you wanted me to show up at a nightclub, watch a concert, and get a sound bite from the performers; this time you wanted me to drop everything and drive eight hours across the province into an active forest fire."

"Yeah, but you can't just give yourself a raise."

So it goes on like that with me trying to explain how, you know, freelance works for A While until I assure her in no uncertain terms that I won't be lowering my invoice. The producer then makes an impassioned plea because, you see, my day rate is fifty dollars over their day rate cap. Astute readers may notice that knowing VICE's day rate caps is both not my problem and not my job, but also that knowing VICE's day rate caps is both very much the producer's problem and quite explicitly her literal job.

She then lets me know that that will become my new rate "in the system" and because it's over cap they probably won't call me again.

"Do you think, after this conversation, I have any intent of working with you ever again?"

They did eventually pay it all and they haven't called me since.

This is a good read.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
'Just a girl' is no 'Immigrant Song'

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I remember that I originally started watching Half in the Back because they were like the only review show that didn't just praise the first Captain America movie.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bonaventure posted:

this has truly been an awful week for BotL

What is the over/under if him becoming successful leftist youtuber now?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was about to ask why you are all talking about him in past tense.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It is kind of amazing how right wing American propaganda has turned freedom into an absolutely meaningless phrase post 9/11

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Huh.

I might have to watch that cass Cain video series. She's kind of the reason I both got into and out of comics. She was a character who is highly relatable if you have autism that prevents you from functioning like a normal person, or a lovely isolated childhood, or both. Which meant that most writers could not understand her and eventually just changed her to something boring and unoriginal, and made me realize multiple writers using the same characters can be very dangerous without a good editor.

Same here and she remains probably my favorite Bargirl and Batcharacter in general. Too bad that years of retcons and reboots basically destroyed the basis of her actual backstory and I am not too fond of the Orhan incarnation :/

edit: and wow, he even mentions Casstoons, those where like a huge thing for me back in day

e X fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2019

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
"Fantasy Creatures living in modern times" is a fantastic concept for a number of possible stories. Hell, that basically what the vast majority of Discworld novels is about. Too bad literally everything else about Bright is either nonsensical or just straight up terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I feel like the main thing with Dany is that in the show, her poo poo tends to largely work out for her, whereas in the book, its a lot more obvious that Dany is a slow rolling storm of everything going horribly wrong, and the only thing keeping the wheels on the bus is that she has three dragons and no qualms with applying them to any and every problem that enters her field of vision. Like, its been years since I read them, but if I recall mereen became a plague-ridden thunderdome hellscape under her rule and once poo poo finally starts going fully sideways, her response is to say "gently caress this" and fly off with her dragons, leaving the city to implode.

Yeah, the books always hinted that Dany maybe was a good conqueror but a pretty terrible politician.