Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

tbh this subforum, and espescially this thread, doesn't deserve a mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

I volunteer myself as mod of rgd

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like joseph anderson because he was the only person who was right on

This is generally not a good attitude to take towards criticism

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Holy poo poo can we get a loving mod please

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Junpei Hyde posted:

Holy poo poo can we get a loving mod please

Oh we have one now

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Max Wilco posted:

Who's Zinnia Jones, and what did she say? I remember you bringing her up before.

Just general liberal failings of not understanding class issues basically and she gets obnoxious about it sometimes. IDK if she's ever done anything worse

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Bakeneko posted:

The one thing I dislike about Bennett is how much he hates subtitles. He seems to think they ruin a show by distracting you from the animation, and heíll always whine about it on the rare occasions where he has to review something that doesnít have a dub.

I mean, that's a valid opinion to hold, and one I share honestly.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand dubbing VAs are often terrible.

On the other hand the original VAs are also often terrible.

what if we're all terrible

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

CelticPredator posted:

Anime is terribly amazing

hard agree

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

I declare myself mod so I can ban all of you

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

For the record BOTL is still threadbanned

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Free BravestOfTheLamps

Make a convincing argument for his freedom, if it sucks you get a sixer

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If it is an open challenge, I accept.

Criticism in its central form is a dispassionate analysis of thematic elements within the text. The inclusion of fandom into criticism has ultimately lead to a lesser and far more toxic form of criticism that ultimately accomplishes little but reinforces cultural insularity.

The notion of "internet critic" has also become vague to the point of being fundamentally irrelevant. Very few internet critics in the list on the OP engage in criticism, including video makers I personally respect and enjoy. For example, I think Kim Justice is an excellent historian and documentarian, but I do not think Kim's quality work is necessarily criticism. (I apologize Kim as I am not aware of your preferred pronouns so I sided on caution)

What I feel BotL does, while admittedly a bit disruptive, is not, at its core, dishonest. BotLs comments are aggressive, but they are also legitimate.

This most recent probation is, in particular, both harsh and unfair if you observe the comments in isolation. Does he have a bad reputation? Surely. However, the comments for which he was probated are not themselves either unreasonable or against the rules of the thread.

Making an argument for an unpopular opinion is not trolling if the argument is honestly constructed. While I disagree with his criticism of MoS and BvS, and would gladly challenge that analysis if he were not probated, I also recognize they are not dishonest.

It seems that much of his negative reputation is built on the response to his arguments rather than the ideas themselves. If you find yourself unable to honestly engage with someone's ideas, they are not at fault for it. He said an obviously controversial opinion, and he you and I know it. However, he was not trolling. His opinion was formulated and justified by legitimate critical theory. It was weakly constructed, but not invalidly constructed.

I argue the thread would be better served reconsidering how they engage with BotL rather than simply banishing him.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ok but he sucks tho?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

CelticPredator posted:

Criticism is boring as hell to read and watch

Essays are where itís at

what about essays about criticism or criticism of essays

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Anyway you have all made your points and I have come to the conclusion that...

BOTL sucks lmao

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

If you really want to read BOTL posts in this thread just reread the ones he's already made, they're basically all the same

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed. Also my apologies to that one guy who doesn't post in this thread and who thinks I'm a tyrant for kicking him out of here and probing him for a month. For what it's worth, I've always wanted to be a Sith Lord when I grew up.

Now let's talk about the Star Wars prequels or something.

They're not that great. 3 was decent though

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

chernobyl kinsman posted:

His posts piss people off and, sure, he's often engaging in bad faith. But nearly all of the positions he takes are cogent and defensible; he primarily pisses people off because he's attacking things they like. His posts derail threads partly because of that fact, and partly because most of the people who try to argue with him aren't as good at it as he is, and fail to actually refute or even meaningfully engage with the points he's making. Either way, his posts generally bring and provoke a depth of analysis beyond just surface-level discussion.

namaste, god bless

I'm sorry we already reached a conclusion.

Anyway BOTL talk is over now, further BOTL talk gets a probe

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Kim Justice posted:

Praise the lord, let's talk about something safe and non controversial instead like, I dunno, Count Dankula

(I'm joking)

What hath thou wrought

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Kim Justice posted:

People of the world

join hands

Start a probe train

Probe train

(Seriously guys do you wanna STFU about it now)

What, you thought the problem with this thread was sorted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_kAQLl9EM

aw sonofabitch

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Far Cry 5 looks like a fun game to play that I would forget immediately after finishing

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

OK I lie I will remember the guy who yells IM SCOOTIN but that's really more me remembering Vinesauce streams

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

This entire thread is a badly done skit

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

The Aristocrats!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

SunAndSpring posted:

I feel like all one has to do is look at Channel Awesome to conclude that most people should never attempt skits. Red Letter Media is the only internet reviewer group that can make a decent skit and even they are mostly hit and miss.

To be fair the skits were some of the best parts of the new Hbomb imo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Augus posted:

calling that "skits" is an insult
it's an avant-garde masterpiece that demands your respect.

Good skits are still skits

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

It's a loving rule for a reason

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

It is because I do not, personally, trust in Bob

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

I think at this point we've all formed our opinions on this subject, perhaps we should move on now

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

so like, why are we debating the ethics of nazi pug guy,

first person to post something actually on topic gets one free pass to call me a dumbass and not get probed, once.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Conal Cochran posted:

Jackson Tyler has written a really solid critique of God of War and how the prestige packaging of the latest game is used to disguise the same toxic ideologies found in the rest of the series.

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...r-Shut-Up-.html

I've always wondered how to defeat the desert sirens

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, people are absolutely playing up GoW as some sort of massive super amazing perfect game, as if whatever story it's trying to tell hasn't been done better and more tastefully in 2010.

I mean, poo poo, playing up a designed by committee AAA game like this is pretty :
https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/stat...668494351470592

wait, what game told that story better in 2010

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Kay Kessler posted:

I assume he's referring to Nier. Which, other than them both being Dad games, are completely different stories.

God of War is imo a better game than Nier.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Nier's plot wasn't very good and idk what people really see in it. It bored me.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

OK seriously can somebody explain why Nier 1's plot is good to me please.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of it is that it's written in layers. The first pass comes off as a general action game, with some legitimately good plot beats and twists on its own, but the second playthrough (which begins from the midway point after an intervening timeskip) starts to peel things back and it gets fascinatingly bleak. Especially if you read the collectable bits of lore. Spoilers, if you don't care; It adds extra cutscenes giving a little background to the dungeon boss Shadows you've been killing mercilessly the first time around, and just lets you see what they're saying via subtitles. A lot of what they've been growling incoherently at the protagonist amounts to "please, no, we just want to live!" or "why did you kill my friend? ".

The gameplay is not the best part of Nier, but it's still perfectly serviceable to play (You'll never get stuck fighting the controls/camera, or trying to figure out how to use something, etc), and mixes things up just often enough to keep you from getting bored. Not just flipping to 2D like Nier Automata does, but weird things like an entire section that's played as a straight text adventure.

No, I've played the whole game, I know that stuff happens. I didn't dislike, Nier's gameplay, I disliked the story specifically. The pacing is godawful and ruined any potential for me to enjoy what it was trying to tell me, and most of the B route stuff felt really, really trite and I rolled my eyes at it. Characters were generally very good though.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Terrible Opinions posted:

So if that's what they get with flash, what horrible 90s era program do anime studios use to make their cgi crowd characters?

A budget

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It has one of the few times I've seen a tournament arc I didn't actually hate.

I think im the one person who didn't like that arc all that much

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Puppy Time posted:

It wasn't great, but it wasn't the bloated and pointless Chimera Ant arc. That arc just makes everything before it look great.

Nothing can make greed island look great.

Best tournament arc is the first Dragonball world tournament and it isn't even close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never believe in lies

Tired Moritz posted:

I have no opinion on anime because I only watch moe poo poo

You are the purest of us all