Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm Matthew Buck, fading out.

yes, I am very proud of that video

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I do hope Brad and Bennett find a measure of solace and solidarity with their remaining peers... Blockbuster Buster and Toons These Days. In the meanwhile, I've dropped both of them on my YouTube subscriptions and it'll be a long loving while before I ever reconsider re'upping them or plugging anything they do even if they leave Channel Awesome now anyway.

E: Like, I mean at least Larry hemmed and hawed about maybe leaving the site before he apparently chose to stay on. So I don't know if that makes it better or worse than Brad proudly planting his flag atop Mt. Michaud or Bennett's utter radio silence on the matter.

Yeah, I put Bennett in the dumb gif I made because he looks funny and I figured, gently caress it, it's only a matter of time anyway. But he's still there. He will always be there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

my favorite part of the response is the 30 second clip of allison blankly saying that she loves to entertain people as proof that to boldly flee was a fun shoot with no issues or problems

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You know that's exactly why they do it, though. Nostalgia trumps all ideas of quality or anything else.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pictured: a non-miserable person

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ACCUSATION: "women" claim people were mistreated.

FACT: nobody was that's stupid they must be on their period here is the proof: :proof:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bennett_airbrushed_out.gif

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Bee posted:

I'm fairly certain at this point, Guru Larry is hoping to be the last member of the site. And you know what? I applaud his efforts.

He'll lose because apparently nothing can separate Brad Jones from Doug Walker. A real disappointment; I was a fan of the guy but if he hasn't severed ties by now that doesn't make him look very good...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I wonder if Larry or Brad is the "fifth shareholder" they mentioned in that response. It'd explain not leaving no matter what, because they have a stake in the company.

Or it's just loyalty, I don't know, regardless it makes me feel bad. This whole situation makes me feel bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

How tho? If no one is making content for it, that is. And hopefully no creators in their right mind would join.

Doug isn't gonna leave his own site, dude. Unless the dude actually straight up retires he ain't going anywhere

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The real danger is they'll lose advertisers but I guess he can always start a patreon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Allison was always one of my favorites because she was the only one who seemed to actually like the movies she covered. Most of the big names and many of the small ones got ahead by pretending movies were insufferable and rage inducing but it's like, b-movies are fun and everyone knows this. So just have fun with them, right?

I guess Hagan was also that way, which is maybe why I watched her even if I hated the skits.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Additional spoiler text for the poster who hasn't seen the movie yet

whats wrong with you go see Star Wars

I don't give money to the Disney entertainment conglomerate. gently caress Disney.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Back in the day I tried to get onto Channel Awesome. I was in college and me and my friends would watch Doug's stuff and then moved on to watching other things; I was a big fan of Lindsay Ellis and Spoony, and from him I heard about Brad and got into his stuff. It was great! Never made it on the site, though, partly because I didn't try long enough or hard enough, really. Though for a while I used to look back and think about having missed out on this amazing opportunity to work with these amazing people and do some great, creative work.

This whole situation makes me feel like the effort I put into that, and, hell, the fact I was ever a fan of Doug Walker at all, it was all a waste. What a loving waste of time. I'm glad some good people came out of it but the Walkers are going to still be making a ton of money out of this and out of their exploitation of their employees and it makes me sick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Big fan of That Larry With The Glasses

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

Holy poo poo can we get a loving mod please

D: David De Coteau. Running time 67 minutes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Try to bring Gormenghast into the discussion somehow. Otherwise it doesn't do it for me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

a medical mystery posted:

everyone wants to copy MST3K with all of the sass and none of the creativity or optimism

I still say the reason Allison is good is because she actually loving likes movies, which is apparently impossible for YMS and people like that. Like no poo poo Cool Cat isn't good but it's also pretty funny and you don't have to be a dick about it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I can't think of any striking or interesting visuals in BvS and the fact that Game of Thrones is bad does not make BvS good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tudabee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

Edit: VV I didn't mean to! Clipboard error! :saddowns:

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not the type to do a video essay--I'm too lazy, and I work all the time so I can't afford to anyway--but if I were one of those people I would do one on DEEP FRIED MASTERS, the most important and meaningful reality show of all time. If you haven't seen it, well, it's enthralling.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

i'm afraid looking this up is going to be some kind of trap

It is a baffling cooking competition where people try to make the best state fair food to win a corndog trophy. You can tell the studio figured they'd do the duck dynasty thing like "ha ha ain't rednecks funny wheeee hoo," but it all falls apart because everyone actually on the show takes it completely dead serious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hraFvIdNck

One time a guy lost because he made something Chinese, and the judges told him that fair-goers don't like foreign food so they penalized him.

I think if you wanted to tell someone what America is, you could show them the episode where someone batters and deep fries an entire softshell crab and then they'd understand.

e: just to be clear I'm not saying it's good, just that it is a hell of a thing

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 21, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Man of Steel relies heavily on trite imagery and flashy cgi visuals.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

Lindsay spends a lot of time talking about liking trash so I don't know why people are talking about her as if she acts like she is above it all. I like the RLM guys but they mock audiences who like blockbusters all the drat time and very much seem like they think that they are above it all. I will also never trust Jay again after he tricked me into watching a movie about a woman who sucked a dogs dick once.

Wait, what?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See, this is exactly what I mean. Just because it makes you angry doesn't mean it's the persons fault for saying it.

If you do not wish to engage the idea, that's your prerogative. But your comfort with the idea is not the determiner of legitimacy.

Botl is 100% a troll but a good one because he is effective

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheHeadSage posted:

I guess my current favourite is the 8-bit guy, followed by LGR. I love learning about old computer stuff, seeing as I spent most of the 80's & 90's on mac hardware. I follow a lot of the other reviewers listed above, but I only watch their video's as background noise while doing other things, as I don't really grasp what they talk about most of the time.

LGR is cool, he loves the sims and weird computers and confusing edutainment and so do I. He's basically doing the kind of stuff I wanted to do but was too broke to record

Also I like to watch Big Clive disassemble AC adapters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

Twelve year olds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Insurrectionist posted:

lol I just figured it was a parable about climate change or some poo poo even though the pieces didn't exactly fit 100%

I struggle to believe he's actually mad people aren't putting their heads together hard enough in trying to figure out how to stop/delay death for us well-off first world assholes when we're not even trying hard enough to stop it where we know for sure we can (famine/disease around the world)

like it's the one thing rich capitalists are probably actually pumping money into for the good of themselves that might actually trickle down to the plebs so it's probably better funded than most things

Actually the majority of pharmaceutical discoveries that actually cure things are found by public funding because the money's in selling insulin for 5000$ or making boner pills

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

maybe? i don't think, or at least hope most children don't like, have a twitch prime account though
i follow loading ready live and they've been doing more and more streaming stuff over the years because it really pays apparently! people just throwing money at them to watch them play video games in real time, and like... good for them sure, but people really want to watch that?
i don't think it's just like, kids or a small collection of adults funding it all either seeing as they'll get people mailing them packages from all over the drat world as 'thanks' for their video game streams, sending them literal pounds of candy, or collections of hats.

Their parents have Amazon prime

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I unironically love the SaGa series.

I even love Unlimited Saga!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My real problem with Hbomberguy and some of his ilk is they present these incredibly obvious things as revelations their audience just couldn't see until they explained them. Videogame companies ARE, by and large, terrible grinding jobs in the same way that many major corporations are, yes, and this is something that's pretty well known and accepted. But it's presented as if only through the genius of Internet Man can we, the common people, know it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The point of the video seemed to be justifying a deeper examination of media beyond simply mocking it, because it has cultural significance and reveals something about both society and the creator. I don't disagree with that because it's patently correct and worthwhile, but that same patent correctness makes the method by which it is established seem supercilious. Because this is what everyone who cares about media criticism already knows? Right?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I dunno I thought it was fairly clear. We love to hate CAD and talk about how The Room is so bad but when you actually compare it to similar stuff it's biggest sin is being more poorly crafted, not especially more morally devoid. Like, CAD IS just PA with worse art (and even then that hasn't been true for the past like, five years) and a weird attempt to make serious storylines. They're both still just morally repugnant white nerds screaming into their artpad, but one gets to have a major gaming con and be a cultural touchstone and the other is 'lol CAD sucks'.

CAD does kinda reflect the worst in its audience, aping bigger and more popular things, lacking talent enough to do it well, falling into cheap jokes instead of actual commentary but wanting to be taken seriously regardless.

The Room is the same, it reflects the worst in cinema, a story about a generic dude who's actually super cool and popular (who just happens to be the writer/director's stand in) who's female counterparts exist as story beats more than characters. It never was given any mainstream attention until the 'real' movies could cash in on it under the guise of noble causes in helping art and poo poo.

They're both considered 'low art' just due to quality of style, which SHOULD be a factor sure but it's a bit absurd that they get treated as if they're some unique shameful thing when actually they're just a lower quality mirror of things that get treated as golden.

Yeah, it's not obscurantist but it's a facile and obvious argument. I guess if people really are that shallow and incurious then it's fine but I don't see what he offers that I can't get from just thinking about things with my brain

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

People remain super weird about the prequels after almost 20 years.

They're perfectly fine movies that suffer from being prequels to one of the most beloved trilogy of all time. They're fine. Not great because they have quite a few flaw,s but none of these flaws are big or terrible enough to make them bad movies. But because of the hype and the love for the originals and weird nerd hyperbole culture they're suddenly the worst things ever and peopel go crazy at anyone saying "they're not that bad".

There's a lot of material in trying to figure out why people are so weird about the prequels.

I saw them before I saw the original Star Wars, so I was not touched by any kind of nostalgia. I found them dull and unengaging, so they fail on that count. If you want to argue that they make claims about politics or society that's separate, but as entertainment they are a complete failure.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

business hammocks posted:

I’ve learned from naziwatch threads that the bulk of subscriptions for long-lived channels can be inactive accounts or people who just never bothered to unsubscribe but no longer watch. Somebody like Carl Benjamin/Sargon has hundreds of thousands of subscriptions but new videos only get tens of thousands of views.

A legitimate expert is welcome to correct me on this (I’m repeating secondhand here), but the explanation is that the big reactionary channels at least live and die on attracting edgy teens or depressed underemployed 30-somethings, and both those audiences have a lot of turnover. It’s entirely possible that Channel Awesome is in a similar position insofar as the bulk of Doug’s audience has been kids who grow out of that lame poo poo or get summer jobs or start dating or whatever.

It's especially true since YouTube added that notification thing, where you have to Double Plus Subscribe to people. It's easy to be subbed to someone and never see their videos on your feed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Well, I posted something in the wrong thread. But, hey, uh, check out this weird Avon computer LGR found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSkmQcx-4g

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 2, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

Watch Dogs 2 is good, though, which was I think shocking to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Shadow Fall was used to testbed the Decima Engine while Horizon was in development. Though Guerrilla Games has said that now that Horizon and its DLC are finished they're gonna start on Killzone 5 next, so the franchise isn't exactly as dead as people have been proclaiming it to be.

Horizon was actually started first, then put on hold to make Shadowfall because it was deemed too risky and Sony wasn't sure you could have an action game starring a woman. So they did a Killzone instead to pay the bills and because it seemed safer. Then Shadowfall was a flop and stuff like Tomb Raider proved that ladies with bows are cool so they put everything they had behind the weird demo they'd made and cancelled everything else they were doing so they could get it done.