Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rvm
May 6, 2013
The role of objectivity in criticism isn't to be more authoritative, it's to be able to communicate opinions and ideas in such a way that they can be engaged with and challenged, to make your analysis falsifiable with evidence from the text itself. Like how can you respond to, for example, 'the characters were unlikable', other then 'I agree' or 'I disagree'.

Also, yeah, there are basic rules to crafting stories, they can be rigid or loose, but, unless there's a good reason to break them (and, usually, there isn't), art only suffers for not following them.

rvm fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013

e X posted:

Taste in media is fundamentally subjective and when people try to decry some criticism as "authoritative" or falsely objective, what they are actually doing is being mad that they can't come up with better arguments to explain their own tastes. At least that is how it comes across to me, since attacking the essay format as a whole conveniently gets you out of actually engaging with any of the content of it.

Video essays tend to be fairly short and light on citations.

Also, some people believe that, unless you add 'in my opinon' or 'I think', etc., you are expressing some Objective Truth that everyone must agree with.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

TLJ was sloppy but I liked several parts of it and didn't feel like I'd wasted my ticket money, so I guess it was all right. I really liked the direction they took Luke in. That's my Star Wars review, please like comment and subscribe.

Star Wars is at its best when it's about Space Samurai fighting Space Nazis. When it tries to do anything more complex, it fails miserably (see Rogue One and sequels and prequels in general). That's why Palpatine is the best part of prequels. He's so obviously, cartoonishly evil as if to scream to the other characters "What kind of movie do you think we're in?!!".

rvm
May 6, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I really could say other things here. i'll just say that a wife has lost their husband. A son has lost their father.

I dunno, perhaps that should mean more than GamerGate. To me, it REALLY should all things considered. Their should perhaps be some perspective.

But hey, if that's the path you wanna go down than what the hell ever

GamerGate (lol) and Trump broke wokes so it's useless to argue or reason with them on certain (most, really) topics. Withdraw.

Rest in peace, TB.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rvm
May 6, 2013

WampaLord posted:

It's weird to see this being said after TLJ was so divisive.

Like they clearly didn't lean that hard on fanservice for that film, if they had, it probably wouldn't have been such a giant shitshow of reactions.

Subversion, for the most part, relies on audience's familiarity with whatever it is being subverted.

TLJ is mildly subversive, but it still operates within a box of toys like 'non-threatening nazis', 'US marine rebels', etc. Its subversiveness pretty much only gets in the way of pulpy fun without making the movie any more profound.

rvm
May 6, 2013
The Worst World Cup Match In History or "Let Them Kiss" from SBNation.

rvm
May 6, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Is there meant to be some kind of problem with this? Because I'm not seeing it.

There was like 10 page discussion on it a while ago which to no great surprise lead nowhere.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Lovecraft was a decent storyteller, but his racism frequently got in the way of his already awkward writing rendering a lot his works unintentionally hilarious. Like, that one story that reads like a self-parody where you have that witch worshiping eldrich gods and stuff, but the horryfying twist was that she turned out to be 1/1000 black or something.

His horror is informed mostly not by his bigotry (its influence on his stories was strictly negative), but his fear of literally going insane.

rvm fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 5, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013

business hammocks posted:

I don’t think 300 is a joke. I don’t think Snyder is bad and I don’t think he knows, but it’s just kind of in there, pushing against what he’s pretty sure he believes.

300 is in-universe propaganda. It's basically a retelling of the events by a person who wasn't even there for most of it. Hence, the fire-breathing Persians and other nonsense. It's probably even less subtle than Starship Troopers.

rvm
May 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Wrong. No one ever thinks about Confused Matthew. Ever.

His 2001 Space Odyssey review is a classic.

rvm
May 6, 2013

rudecyrus posted:

I swear to god, Dan did a video about this exact thing.

Well, yeah. Rape in Goblin Slayer is used for shock factor and titillation, just like in 70-80s sword and sorcery exploitation movies. The fact that it is (sloppily) integrated into standard D&D setting, is irrelevant.

On a more pleasant not, I really like deep cuts channel. His "5 albums to get into <genre>" seems pretty legit, judging by a few issues about styles I'm more or less familiar with.

rvm
May 6, 2013

ElNarez posted:

His whole argument in defense of the rape scenes in Goblin Slayer falls apart the moment he puts in his video that he's decided not to show them, almost like there was something objectionable in there that he didn't want people to see.

His video (unlike the show itself) is addressed to people who might find a depiction of rape upsetting, so he put more thought into it than Crunchyroll which rated Goblin Slayer TV-PG initially. Oh, and he probably wanted to monetize it, gotta milk that controversy.

rvm
May 6, 2013

OmanyteJackson posted:

Thinking about it a little more. The first purge is a good example.

Because the protagonist is a drug king pin anyone he kills has to be a worse person otherwise he losses audiance. That means its cool for him to kill the lieutenant who betrays him and the PMCs dressed as Clansmen but not the sexworkers paid to assassinate him.

It's easy to have a villan not do sexual violence in a story. but I do get how its an easy tool for a writer, its a clear line to seperate the protagonist from the antagonist, it still evokes a reaction, and its non political. I think thats why it's still exists as a trope and how it tends to go unnoted when used by better writers.

I don't see how just having goblins be nasty creatures that raid villages and murder people isn't enough. No real need for that creepy-rear end stuff there. It's not necessary for the title character's development either: having your family murdered in front of you is quite sufficient to really mess with a person. Like, it's not the case when re-writing is needed. You can literally just remove that aspect of the show without losing anything.

rvm
May 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of fantasy has fascist undertones.

It’s kind of the genres big issue that few can escape.

Goblin Slayer doesn’t try to dress it up at all just jumps right in.

The problem is that a lot of fantasy aimed at adults keeps most of its inherently juvenile foundations. The children's story doesn't become mature if you depict violence in gory details and add soul-crushingly boring politics.

rvm
May 6, 2013

Echo Chamber posted:

I watched Peter Coffin's video about cultural appropriation and I found it a bit... frustrating? I consider myself an "extremely online person" and I don't really run into people resembling the Asheligh character. She resembles a Tumblr/Livejournal type from 6 or 8 years ago that fell off my radar.

Like Asheleigh resembles a right wing caricature of an internet SJW. And I found it frustrating because I'm frequently accused of being of being some "Performative Woke White Person" because I'm an Asian guy who wants Hollywood to stop being racist. People can't imagine Asian American anger, so they pretend it's shallow white liberal anger. Like... it's people picking whatever foil they want.

Like, I reject the liberal idealization of diversity; but I see things like Tilda/Emma/Matt/Scarlett sort of as an institutionalized slur.

Also, I don't know anyone with any actual clout who took issue with a girl in a Chinese dress.

The girl's dress is particularly dumb to be mad about because it's a casual wear influenced by Western fashion. But the point of the video, just like literally every Coffin's video, is that everything is appropriated including an outrage about said appropriation.

rvm fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 29, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think Brad Jones’s days of being someone who’s work is postable in this thread are officially over as of tonight. And good riddance too.

I mean, of all CA alumni hi and Spoony have an ounce of talent, so I'm not sure about that. And I can understand the guy perfectly. If my close relatives were harassed, I'd be pretty pissed off, to say the least, and I might say things I'd regret later... Anyway, the point is, that he is entertaining, unlike most of so called 'Internet Critics', so I don't really care about the drama all that much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rvm
May 6, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Some of those critics and content producers post in this thread. If you care more about someone's value as an entertainer than the damage they can do to other people in reality, you can gently caress off.

Let me clarify. Most internet critics are disposable, as in you can find one that fits your political views, tastes, etc., etc. Spoony has legitimate talent, but his personality and his health issues interferes with it big time, while Brad Jones fills the niche that nobody else really occupies. I mean, Brandon Tenold, for example, tries pretty hard, but he's not there yet in my opinion. I don't care about those people. They aren't my relatives, friends, etc. They don't care about me either. They can post in this thread all they want, but that won't change the fact, that the only thing that I expect of them is their content, and that's the only thing I'm going to judge them on.

rvm
May 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not sure you should have clarified. It really didn’t do you any favors

I'm not looking for favors. I just thought I was unclear.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, "I don't care if they're a horrible person IRL as long as I like their stuff" isn't a good stance to take on this issue.

Messing with their relatives would make most people a horrible person.

And I actually want someone to take Brad's place. He stagnated, and his latest stuff is boring and tedious.

And, honestly, as a Christian anarchist, I see people as fundamentally flawed, and, if I based my viewing habits on my convictions alone, I'd have more or less nothing.

Sorry for the meltdown I guess.

rvm fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 15, 2018

rvm
May 6, 2013

Thompsons posted:

well he's sort of right in that all the alt-right/chud critics I see are completely disposable and are all constantly discussing the exact same loving topics at all the same times so maybe there is something to it

I mean, you can safely boycott someone like Orson Scott Card without losing much of anything, but when it comes to, say, Roman Polanski... yeah, good luck with that. Or a whole bunch of great writers of 19th - 20th century who were anti-semites or Nazi sympathizers from good ol' Dost to Knuth Hamsun. (I'm not comparing Brad loving Jones to those people, btw, to be clear.) We're lucky in that most, let's say, right wing folks these days happen to be fervently anti-intellectual and extremely tedious to boot, especially in the field of movie / game / etc. criticism, but that hasn't always been the case.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Re: good anime.

Ojamajo Doremi. Fun for the whole family (unironically). I'm rewatching the first season, and it's so wholesome, funny, cute and way better than a glorified toy commercial has any right to be.

I wish it was dubbed completely, though.

rvm fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013
Zizek's Sublime Object Of Ideology by Epoch Philosophy