Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://twitter.com/rocco_botte/status/983861622543335424

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's full of tertiary characters and plotlines that go nowhere and it doesn't know when the gently caress to end. by the time they got to the salt planet I was 100% in "why is there still more movie left" mode

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Max Wilco posted:

The last few pages make me want to stop following the thread, because it's getting really depressing. At the same time, I feel like if I do, then I'd be out of the loop about this stuff.
broadly speaking that's completely fine

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It is pretty funny.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tudabee posted:

Man, the part about the cake channel including producer interaction freaked me out because I had just noticed a similar thing in two separate nail art/education channels. I don't even know if they were temporally related, I just noticed that if I watched older videos on either channel, it was just the host and maybe a silent model, but at some point the cameraman just... becomes a character, I guess.
In retrospect it also makes Game Grumps video editor interactions(and the popularity thereof) make more sense to me.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Waffles Inc. posted:

The acting and characters are good in the prequels, despite what the rape man video says
Neither the acting or the characters are any good. Especially the acting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
using guns to parry was a great choice most of all because it means you can parry just about anything. you can't show a character swatting a giant dude's club or whatever away with a buckler and have it feel right, but you certainly can have them shoot him in the face to stop him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, especially for DS1.

There's no clear-cut alternative to a shield. What are the other off-hand options?
2-handing which is extremely popular and very strong

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

If you're 2-handing you usually want to equip the grass cress shield anyways just for the buff.
you actually don't because it's the weakest stamina regeneration effect in the game making the weight tradeoff dubious.

not using a shield is often better if you want to fastroll while 2-handing, which you often do because the weapons people want to 2-hand the most are heavy so you need to save weight.
if you want to have a shield offhand heater shield is the king because it gets small shield parry frames while having 100% phys block and ok stability, and weighs a lot less than almost all the other medium shields I never understand how there can be an ecosystem for all these guys to succeed in. How is it fractured enough that one channel doesn't just snowball and eat up most of the viewers when they're all doing basically the same thing?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

John Murdoch posted:

I assumed they weren't physics enabled, but that was only based on the patch notes. I had stopped playing TF2 by that point.
They are physics enabled, you can bounce them into yourself with explosions just the same as before.

It's 100% an improvement even minus weapon swapping because some weapons could be very hard to see(ex: scout's pistol falling into a ragdoll or against a piece of geometry on the payload track), while the big rectangular ammo boxes always stick out.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the only people who have been able to pull off good 2d looking 3d is arcsys in guilty gear xrd/dbfz and those are fighting games with mostly locked perspective and a relatively small amount of unique animations across a set roster of characters

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OmanyteJackson posted:

Because the hero murdering families of goblins will seem less palatable.
it's already not palatable, I can't suspend my disbelief to think that a whole species of more-or-less intelligent creatures would be fundamentally evil rapists

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Jekyll and Hyde posted:

yeah thats my joke, everyone had their fill of the bad anime

everyone however should watch skull-faced bookseller honda san
actually everyone should just read Delicious in Dungeon

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have no context whatsoever for what is going on there

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
how did jim sterling's outfit get worse. why does his hat have a corset

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it would be best if he was addicted to something that doesn't have lootboxes tbh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I Before E posted:

Would anyone deny that it focuses more on the gameplay loop than the story?
No, but you also can't deny that the fantasy world that both the monsters and humans live in is like... an enormous part of the appeal of monster hunter.

It's a swords and exotic wilderness sort of thing much more than drab modern settings and guns. (Yes, gunpowder exists in monhun but it's mostly awkward early firearms, albeit over the top ones.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Calaveron posted:

I mean the game's 11 years old and people still buy whatever version comes out for whatever platform, what's their incentive to care
theoretically, any degree of pride in their work

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
looking at his filmography, I've definitely never seen any of his movies, so I remain the ethical ubermensch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know but I'm eternally grateful for it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alaois posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngC6qE8MkKo

extremely important october content

my child doesn't have friends so I bought him this spider

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll be honest but I've seen "dude" often used like "they" in a gender neutral way; I've seen people refer to a group of women as "dudes".
It is true that sometimes people say dude/dudes in reference to a woman/women, but it's not truly gender neutral language. Consider asking a random straight guy you know how many dudes they've had sex with and see what their reaction would be. (Obviously you don't actually need to, because we all know they would infer that you mean men.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's so weird to see pogchamp's continued use on twitch as a hype emote compared to gootecks the man himself today

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I cannot unravel this argument at loving all

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
my only jim sterling opinion is that his outfit looks like garbage

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dabir posted:

Calling yourself a gamer implicitly makes playing video games a key part of your identity in a way that probably isn't healthy.
plenty of people make stuff like their consumption of and tastes in music and movies and books a key part of their identity

it's really not unusual

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That "it's an ongoing service" remark is pretty disingenuous of the actual problem, because it's not something Google can actually fix. The tech legitimately does work, but it's entirely at the mercy of your own internet setup and your ISP not cheaping out on infrastructure.
also, even in the best case scenario it's worse than the norm

we don't live in a world where machine power is bad and internet is good, we live in a world that is the exact opposite

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
talking about how you think tons of people deserve to die is not what I would describe as venting

also him speaking about how he "earned" his techno future uptopia is pretty telling of his outlook on life(very self-important)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raenir Salazar posted:

The breadtube thread had posters defending
I never posted in it and don't care

Raenir Salazar posted:

Maybe you believe that no one, anywhere, ever, at any point, not even literal nazi's guarding concentration camps, deserve to die.
saying that nazis guarding concentration camps deserved to die is way loving different from "poor people who voted wrong deserved to die". what a stupid false equivalence.

Raenir Salazar posted:

But is it really your place to police people?
we are in a thread for discussing internet personalities, which does not mean only praise.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah Geralt's stoicism only serves to hide his soft emotional heart from the world. Compare him with Letho for example and it's night and day.
I agree but also I thought it was extremely funny in the start of witcher 3 when he looks out the window and says "poo poo... mountain pass is beautiful as ever"

like they have to stick that "poo poo" on there because if he doesn't swear that sentence isn't macho enough for medieval batman

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

a cartoon duck posted:

and worst of all, moviebob likes metroid other m
forget the eugenics stuff, this is the real crime here

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

MonsieurChoc posted:

The prequels are good and people who hate them are weird.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

-phantom is good, actually
what the gently caress are you talking about

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CelticPredator posted:

I just don’t know how people are still mad about the prequels 20 years later. I’ve watched them all in the last 24 hours and they’re kinda bad it’s like whatever. Move on.
the reason people keep saying they loving suck is because we're at a point in time where on any website that talks about movies there are people coming out of the woodwork saying the prequels are good actually

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
fwiw I grew up with the prequels, I saw star wars episode 1 at least like 2 years before I saw star wars episode 4. I owned it on VHS, watched it a lot. that movie is loving garbage. people don't dislike them just because they're attached to the originals/nostalgia blind, they're just badly made films

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A crusade against Shenmue fans, not just Shenmue itself but him constantly upset over the years that there have been, are, and will continue to be fans of Shenmue is still the weirdest hill for him to die on.

Like these are just dudes and dudettes that wanted more Shenmue and got it and so far they seem pretty dang happy with it. Most reviewers no. The massive gaming-purchasing populace no.

But hardcore Shenmue fans, that bit at the start where he was like "Is this what you wanted? Is this what you really wanted?" I just picture every Shenmue fan answering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mjf2pg4MFQ
He's not really crusading against shenmue fans, almost all of this video is about how shenmue has always had production costs that are way too large and as a series hasn't grown or learned anything since the original. the video is about mismanagement and bad design on the part of the people who made shenmue 3.

also despite hating his shtick as usual he's right, shenmue sucks

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I doubt it will suck endearingly enough for anyone beyond the small devoted fanbase to buy it, which is kind of the point of that video.

I don't know about you but not that many games that come out are things I actually think are super good and if something is gonna be made in the style of something old and janky I would prefer it have highs to it rather than all lows. spiky, niche game design is fine, but what sets shenmue apart from other games is mostly that there's a lot of stuff that just wastes your time and the voiceacting/animations are remarkably bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Doctor Reynolds posted:

If you can't embrace jank then you don't truly love video games. :colbert:
two of my all time favorite games are the first STALKER game and Deadly Premonition. I enjoy good jank, but by itself it's not enough to make a game good.

Kunster posted:

Which is a bit confusing as he loved Disco Elysium!
the difference is that Disco Elysium is a very good game. Just because both are not mainstream does not mean they are the same

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ok, but "acting" like that is completely different from actually being part of a different class

also loud drilling in the morning(or anytime, really) is annoying as gently caress it doesn't matter who you are

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Literalman posted:

I hope that all of you SJW's will fade away thanks to the FBI released documents on GamerGate that were released on November 29th.
what the gently caress are you talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the link you posted means basically nothing to anyone sane