Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Make a convincing argument for his freedom, if it sucks you get a sixer

BotL was inducing exophthalmos in unsuspecting dweebs by denigrating their preferred brand of superhero, so I understand the need to probate him—but he's served his time. I'm sure he's learned his lesson, and everyone else has gotten a few Lamp-free days to cuddle their action figures and let the cortisone shot kick in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

But I am glad people are speaking up about this, but some of the Breadtube quickly defending her gave me some "Boogie Defending Pewds" vibes that made me distrust a good chunk of YouTube video essayists, in a "white knight" "m'lady" way.

any member of a privileged group defending one of the most successful trans activists of the last decade gives me some 'white knight' vibes too op

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

I never once said anyone was lying about her getting harassment

Endorph posted:

like seriously going through the twitter replies for those tweets it was like 90% support and 10% 'what', im sure some people were bitching about her in their own circles but it seriously feels like there being some massive cancel backlash here is entirely made up.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

RareAcumen posted:

'Massive cancel backlash didn't happen' doesn't quite equal 'Hi I'm Endorph and I say 0 people harassed her' IMO. Her Patreon's still up and fine, no videos even got struck off of youtube, her twitter didn't even get a suspension.

In the video, Natalie notes specifically and at length that she is in a privileged and insulated position compared to (1) less-established voices and (2) herself mid-transition in 2017. The entire conclusion of the video is her elaborating on the harm to her mental wellbeing as opposed to her finances/'career'. She is careful to delineate these harms because the argument that cancelling isn't real so long as somebody continues to survive in the public eye is really common and obvious. The more I see this same, unelaborated argument trotted out again in response to the video, the more I sympathize with her complaint that a lot of people online don't have the ability to interpret texts

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

i regret that post now because at the time it seemed like it was just a small flareup but it continued way past the point of sanity. sometimes people's opinions change.

I get that, and fwiw your older post seems to me like a reasonable response. I posted it not as a 'gotcha!' but b/c it's worth pointing out that the subjective experience of being canceled (or shunned by/from any community whose opinion you care about) is mostly invisible to other people. I think that if Natalie had not posted a bunch of examples of public backlash, a lot of reasonable people probably would have assumed she was exaggerating.

e: anime sucks big time op

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 3, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MiddleOne posted:

But then why use the term cancelling. I think Natalie pretty unequivocally has been the target of bullying and harassment by a very tiny subsection of mostly former fans. But, if you haven't been denied your platform or your revenue, it's worth asking what exactly have you been cancelled from? :shrug:

I mean a few nutcases sure tried, but that's the internet.

yes, pedantically insist on the dictionary definition of canceling, that will help move this argument along

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Blacking out usernames is going far enough for twitter, imo. If she had posted screenshots from a facebook page, I would agree, but these are all/mostly anonymous accounts on a website for posting your opinions publicly. Quoting them is fair game.

And making a joke out of the fact that their avatars are really similar is so mild that I honestly cannot figure out a way to take all the pearl-clutching about it in good faith

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Someone talking about you without @ing, subtweeting you, or otherwise directing people to interact with you isn't harassment. Like it just isn't harassment for people to say mean things about you without interacting with you in anyway. Whereas Contra is harassing them by directing people at them.

She didn't call it harassment. She didn't call out individuals. The context of the long series of twitter screenshots is her arguing that the twitter format (as opposed to video essays, e.g.) promotes 'canceling' rather than criticism. Twitter screenshots are essential to her argument that twitter is a toxic platform.

This is how she introduces the screenshots:

quote:

I really do believe in conversation, which means hearing out multiple perspectives. I don't want my audience getting all their information about trans people from me, and I think it's important to listen to criticism. So I encourage my audience to go watch some nonbinary youtubers who have criticized me and who have criticized Buck Angel. For example, go check out nonbinary youtuber Luxander's video about me, and nonbinary youtuber corviday's video about Buck Angel.

I think Youtube, as a platform, is better at producing criticism, rather than canceling. And I think that's because, at least in the vlog format, making a video forces you to confront the fact that you're a human being with a face and a name who can be held accountable for the things that you say. But people on twitter — it's a different story. And I think it's time we take a look at what canceling really is.

Note that Natalie prominently NAMES and LINKS two youtubers on the other side of this argument. Is she inciting harassment by doing that? Obviously not. But somehow she's inciting harassment by quoting dozens of anonymous twitter users in rapidfire series set to goofy music?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

Like the way she introduces them is literally 'these are the bad people who did the bad thing.'

I must have missed this bit

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

a cartoon duck posted:

lmao that dude's first post in the thread is defending forums super star Bravest of the Lamps, the guy who got perma'd for stalking and harrassing a dude across forums and even websites for the crime of posting photos of action figures

I don't know anything about that friendo, the perma reason was for annoying people in book barn or cd or something

e: (1) This is the perma reason

quote:

Every single post you make is a dumb one-liner about how a thing is bad. You haven't contributed anything of substance in years. You are the most boring kind of person to have any discussion with, and I don't think you have any positive effect on the forums. I don't care if you're right or wrong about the subjects. So many people are sick of dealing with your poo poo. Go away.

(2) My post was long before he was permabanned

gj getting personal and lying about some easily checked stuff to score points in what had been a pretty civil argument tho

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 3, 2020

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Endorph posted:

And yeah it's also worth noting that some of the icons/art she uses as examples in there is stuff by trans artists who also have less of a platform than her.

A bunch of the twitter folks' avatars weren't cartoons at all, there was that sad squid thing for example. does anyone know the marginalized status of the photographer of the sad squid? also, natalie obviously never considered the feelings of the sad squid who is now caught in the crossfire. not a good look. ouch

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Archer666 posted:

The only thing that could salvage RoS is Disney being smart and hiring Matthew Stover to write the novelization. If he could save Revenge of the Sith, he can probably salvage this mess.

botl should be unpermabanned, idc if he sent bomb threats to everyone in this godawful thread

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Horse in Tears posted:

If anyone here follows Ghostbait1's exploitation/horror channel and was wondering why he pivoted to televangelism - he didn't, his channel got hacked. Looks like he'll have to start over from scratch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShH0v9Kbmc

this doesn't seem plausible 2 me

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Fortnite wasn’t even the first battle royale game, it’s success has nothing to do with innovation and everything to do with it polishing trends that came before. Minecraft, though? Try to imagine the last ten years in gaming without Minecraft.

I can imagine it easily, because I am very smart. I am imagining it right now

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Augus posted:

Wasn’t the first Battle Royals game loving DayZ? lmao

Kinda? It was more of a multiplayer survival game, pretty clearly following a zombie survival trend at the time. The world was persistent, and there was no win condition. If you died, you just respawned without your gear. The first battle royale game I can remember, with a time limit, shrinking world border, and so on, was an Arma mod actually called Battle Royale, which IIRC sprang out of the demand for a faster-paced DayZ.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ArfJason posted:

if my time reading about genres and styles has taught me anything is that genres are fluctating and its hard to absolutely pin down where a genre begins and ends, only that you can identify traits that get adapted and focused on be it the survival aspect or the last man standing aspect or the shrinking map. almost every media piece that can be said to belong in said genre contributes in some aspect or another over time

Of course, but in this case a single game consciously defined a bunch of new conventions that subsequent games adopted more or less without modification. There's some wiggle room — maybe those old minecraft multiplayer servers, which also had special deathmatch rules imposed on a survival game, were battle royale-ish — but you can't say Goldeneye was a battle royale game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ArfJason posted:

noone said anything about that or even implied it.

I didn't mean to imply that you did, I think I started that post thinking I was arguing with you but ended up basically agreeing. I just meant to make the point that Battle Royale is unusually well-defined for a genre

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
oh yeah totally agreed about bill hicks, the countercultural standup comic who died of cancer at 32 but probably would have been a huge piece of poo poo had he lived. in fact let's make a list of the Speculatively Cancelled for all dead comedians who we think would probably have evolved from questioning mass consumption habits and mocking people who believe the FBI to being full-blown fascists

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
humorless + spiteful Bird Brains

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vagabundo posted:

whatever poo poo Alan Moore has to say about comic books [...] is THE ONE TRUE TRUTH.

:hmmyes:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MiddleOne posted:

People have been saying this for as long as I can remember.

And they've always been about 99.9% right

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jojo is the anime equivalent of bringing fetishes into a relationship, some people can jump right in day one but it's not for everybody and most people gotta build up to it after years of trust

And like a fetish, in a just world everybody would be ashamed to post about it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This is the first time I've seen Patricia Taxxon talk about music instead of just post her own music and it's pretty good. I love watching people with specialized knowledge go after each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRf86uvkHPo

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Clerical Terrors posted:

It's sorta weird seeing this video in the exact "play video but pause in places to refute points" style she more or less condemned in her Rags video. I get that in her case she's not just constantly cutting away to go "hurr hurr this person bad, me smart" but it's still relatively close to that format.

Having not seen the video you're referring to, I'll say that this format makes perfect sense for pointing out basic factual errors to make the point 'this person doesn't know what he's talking about'. Most people, though, use the format to nitpick and mock decontextualized snippets of arguments that should be addressed as a whole.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MonsieurChoc posted:

He gets to have whatever Mech he wants and chooses his favorite even though it's not that strong. And I get that, but the plot is still ongoing, there's supposed to be huge stakes! Take one of the absurdly overpowered ones like Ideon or Zeorymer or Gunbuster or whatever rights you can amnage that's still ludicrously overpowered! And then maybe the bad guys get one of the other ones and we see titans clash or something happens or whatever to make sure the opposition isn't just curbstomped. But the point is, this is a race against the bad guy, act like it matters!

this has got to be one of the very least of the book/movie's problems

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
A personal acquaintance of mine, interesting guy with idiosyncratic taste, recently switched from podcast to video. First 4 minutes or so are just groundwork-laying stuff for a new YouTube channel, but I found the main review awfully perceptive. The intercut videos are lovely and I hope he leans into them harder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69sHO4qL0tQ

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
you people all read this poo poo

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

FoldableHuman posted:

This guy is really, really hung up on redefining the transatlantic slave trade, which as a term is widely understood to refer to the industrialized transport of slaves from Africa to the Americas, as any transport of slaves across the Atlantic. It's such a weird sticking point because, like, Columbus was clearly a-ok with slavery, which is damning enough without needing to make him into the architect of a specific institution that 1) was the product of a lot of evil people, and 2) didn't really kick off until well after Columbus was dead.

I mean, Columbus was a complete and utter piece of garbage, absolutely unworthy of veneration, but he doesn't have to be made personally responsible for every atrocity that happened in proximity to anything he touched. You can accurately point out that Columbus participated in slavery without that needing to be part of what we call the transatlantic slave trade. It's a mind numbing argument about marking where one atrocity ends and another begins when no one actually disagrees on the material facts.

just marveling at the fact that this argument and others coexist itt with perennial bickering over the nuanced morality of Star Trek, a show featuring an Evil Dimension 'where all your faves are bad now!!!'

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

thumbnail for this is gross as hell, no thanks

this is good

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
my bystander's take is that the people defending anime by saying 'pedo poo poo is a growth market, whaddayagonnado?' probably need to rethink their approach

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
continuing to insist on posting decorum as it becomes clearer and clearer that I will go to the mat for child sexual exploitation in anime

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
excuse me sir but if you had watched the entire no bopu ri wana special edition as you claim, you would know that scenes with small children tied naked to chairs and whipped account for no more than 16% of the total runtime, and furthermore

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

volts5000 posted:

New Philosophy Tube video about data gathering and the surveillance state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCUTX1jurJ4

i was with him right up until he called that poor bouncer a 'mongoloid whelp of a scottish bitch' and a 'jacobite'. man's just doing his job

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

BigRed0427 posted:

THoughts: Do you care? Do you really care enough to post this? Cause we might as well just nuke the thread now.

fair's fair, the neurotypicals itt don't kick up a fuss every time someone posts an inane junior high book report on a 2000s video game

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bakeneko posted:

Well in that case it doesn’t quite fit my stance, which is that human nature itself is inextricably tied to capitalism, or rather the mentalities that underpin capitalism. It’s not that we shouldn’t change, but that we as a species can’t, at least in this particular way.

amazing that it took only 500,000 years for Homo sapiens to find its natural economic system

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Serious question: can a stalker be non parasocial? It’s about imagined relationship, right?

a stalking relationship isn't imaginary, just well hidden. like a cute puppy still in its mama's tum-tum

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Yardbomb posted:

Capitalism sucks poo poo and billionaires should be burned at the stake.

personally, I oppose violence against women. but I respect your opinion

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The average serf in your standard literally feudalist medieval society had more free time to pursue their passions than the modern human! It absolutely 100% cannot be overstated how much the industrial revolution loving obliterated the lives of the common worker and entirety of our ancestral family looks at us and calls us suckers for taking this Devils bargain.

A firm rule must be imposed upon our nation before it destroys itself. The United States needs some theology and geometry, some taste and decency. I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Argas posted:

Outsiders regulating game developers right now is responsible for a lot of brazen and lovely practices, as well as just plain unfinished and unpolished content.

Presumably in a society where everyone's basic needs are met, you would get games that are not loaded with gacha and/or grind, while still having some external or internal pressure to drive things towards release.

not for another two generations at least, to give time for game developers to mature whose tastes and expectations were not conditioned from birth by capitalist relations of production. like moses we will only glimpse the promised land of grind-free erotic jrpgs from afar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Leal posted:

What is this poo poo

get your mind out of the gutter