Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baka-nin posted:

Before this thread gets started I think we should all take a moment of reflection and look at the last threads wall of shame.

I posted in the old thread a lot more than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Recently, FilmBrain re-posted his crossover review of Tekken with Spoony and said he'd love to do the prequel with him.

Not gonna happen, but it's a nice sentiment.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

lornekates posted:

Two pages. We didn't even make it two loving pages.

Sorry, I just like when people are nice to each other so I brought up Matthew Buck's invitation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Does this make Channel Awesome the WCW of reviewer sites?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

See, the thing about humans is, they theoretically can change and better themselves. It's not easy or as common as it should be, but the possibility is always there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

gently caress everything.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Zedd posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the CA subreddit and it's already filled with people blaming various content creators "being in the know", and surprise surprise mostly aimed at female ones.
Sometimes I hate everything about society.

Mods knew 2.0

...yeah, I got nothing, this isn't funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So did Larry win king of poo poo Mountain?

Viceroy, at least.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Remember to post the link in this thread!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Last Laser Master is better than Last Jedi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Free LorneKates.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Free Brad also now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

business hammocks posted:

If anyone tries to rescue Brad from his contract, it should preferably involve a ragtag group of hairy, badly dubbed Italian men, preferably using some kind of homemade armored killdozer with like some buzzsaws and a flamethrower. Also it’s really racist and out of focus 20% of the time.

New season of Ninja the Mission Force looking good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Since RGD modding discussion is happening here, anyone is welcome to PM me suggestions. I posted this in QCS but I'd much rather hear from RGD regulars. Whether you think they'd be a good mod or an IK, just tell me a bit about them and link their profile. Thank you.

Free lornekates.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

I will become the Guru Larry of this thread!
Why Is Watership Down So Messed Up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKewXapT6As

Man, Watership Down really hit me when I saw it as a child, and then read the book. I love it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KayTee posted:

Do it.

Also, the team who made Watership Down made another animated film also based on a book by Richard Adams called Plague Dogs.

Serious warning: if Watership Down is a difficult watch DO NOT RESEARCH PLAGUE DOGS ANY FURTHER!

Alternatively, if you enjoy weeping like a baby, go right ahead and track it down.

When I bought the thing it took me almost 6 months to work up the guts to watch it, coz I knew what it was going in - even though I was never that hard affected by Watership Down.

Kay cries at the thought of dead doggos

Anyone remember the weird Nine lives of Garfield movie? IIRC it had a sequence pretty obviously inspired by plague dogs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

As far as I know his currently scheduled next major release is Nier, followed by a yet unannounnced video (probably Undertale imo but who knows), maaaaaaybe Horizon: Zero Dawn if he finishes it fast enough (so probably not) and then a hiatus for the channel while he aims for Witcher 3 by the end of the year.

That's going to be hilarious considering his completionist tendencies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I was hoping that was the first Nier game, which was the last game to give us Cavia-tier completionist trolling. Nier: Automata really isn't as bad.

Drakengard still wins though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Sorry I didn't specify, I figured everyone would know that the only one anyone is going to make a long-form critique of is the one everyone actually played recently.

That’s never stopped anyone before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're nearly down 50000 subscribers and losing an average of 1500 subs per day.

I might win my bet! I bet with a friend that in 6 months they wouldn't have recovered. A nice 50$ in canadian money dollars.

Edit: changed my mind, hopefully quickly enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Contrapoints is cool and good and fabulous, even if I'm slightly more radical than her in my beliefs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That one actually makes a little sense; He definitely knows at least some old anime, because Robotech and Gundam both get mentions in Ready Player One, along with some general 80's Japanese properties like Ultraman.

Meh, he's one of those guys who only remembers the "nostalgic" franchises and doesn't know anything about the era, the context, the themes, the makers, etc. That is to say, someone without curiosity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Well, based on the intro I read in the Amazon preview, the whole thing seems to be centered around what he and his contributors found personally influential as opposed to larger media trends. So yeah, you seem to be right. I can't speak to most of the post-2000 titles listed but the 70s to 90s entries seem to largely be "this is what we had at our local Camelot/Sam Goody/Suncoast when I was growing up" with some Saturday Anime on SciFi thrown in. But even with that in mind there are some real weird holes in the list, and apparently the early 80's didn't happen. I'm a little tempted to see what they have to say about Roujin Z, the least entertaining of all SciFi channel anime offerings, but not enough to spend any money.

I was just talking about Kline here, I don't know enough to say about the others. I do know Sage at least puts a bit of research into his stuff, talking about context and behind the scenes stuff from time to time. Not in-depth, but at least the interest in the larger media is there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

I was surprised just how late its translation was since I had memories of watching it on TV in the nineties. Then I remembered I watched on cables French language channel. It also reminded me that the German language channel had a lot of graphically violent 80s SF anime on it.

Yeah, France got a lot of really cool anime in the 70s-80s-90s, including some great co-productions like Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31. Here in Quebec we got some of those, and even a few exclusive french-canada only translations like Le Petit Castor and Les Aventuries de l'Espace.

The funniest thing to me is how we translated all the openings. Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol0FyOfOAOI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rYeP29aljM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

littleorv posted:

Shirobako owns

Yeah, it's actually an example of the rare good anime these days. With a story and characters and themes instead of just a random assortment of clichés.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Peak dub is still Gundam Wing.

HOWEVER!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The hero we deserve.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

i have like BVS/MOS ptsd at this point. The CD comic book thread is a non stop circle jerk about those movies. Every goddamn comic book movie is held to THAT standard, and it's super alienating and quite frankly, boring as hell to read. And it's always the same like 4 people too.

Nah, not really.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The more you know about movies and moviemaking, the more terrible the Plinkett Star Wars review seem. Because they're wrong on a huge amount of things, as well as being super manipulative on anything to do with Lucas.

I still love RLM and follow their channel and videos, but as the years go by I've come around to realizing the Prequels reviews are just plain bad.

Which doesn't mean you can't dislike the Prequels. That'S a question of simple taste more than whether something is good or not.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

This argument is stupid. Have a video from Isaac Arthur about how viable O'Neill cylinders could be for space colonization.

Isaac Arthur is a cool channel that looks at science fiction concepts as well as theoretical science regarding humanity's future in outer space. Also, he is aware he sounds like a scientist Elmer Fudd.

This is great, thanks for bringing it up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Phelous had the crazy old man reads creepypasta thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KayTee posted:

Thoroughly enjoyed this up until real car stuff started happening and my eyes kinda glazed over.

Does Star Fleet count as an anime? Cos the X=Bomber is the coolest-looking (anime) spaceship little Kay can remember and I think it belongs on a list somewhere. (The other coolest spaceship ever doesn't count )

Plenty of great anime spaceships he didn't mention. There's the Yamato, the Arcadia, the Nautilus, the Nadesico, the Gekko-Go, White Base and it's bajillion clones and heirs in Gundam series, the Ryvius, and that's just off the top of my head.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Those aren't really "hero cars" though. They're iconic, but they're not exactly the protagonist's main ride. Mecha was also off the criteria too, save for Veritechs getting a foot in due to being fighters first.

Yeah, but the Bebop and Outlaw Star count?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

My stupid anxious brain keeps me up at night about my fear of death, but even I think immortality is a bad idea.

If every single person were immortal what would we do about food? Would we stop having children (unlikely) or breed until every hospitable planet is crowded? We can’t stop the heat death of the universe, probably, so what happens when there’s no more energy to move? Is that basically death, since there wouldn’t be energy to run body functions?

Forever is a long rear end time and I don’t want to experience it either.

Yeah, I'm extremely scared of death because I don't know if there's anything after it (personally I'd love being a ghost), but eternity is equally scary.

The Gunnm manga had an idealist release the recipe for immortality to everyone (stealing it from the rich) and then it turned the solar system into a worst world where children are hunted down to stop population growth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gunnm is really good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you mean Battle Angel Alita!

Sidenote, but why the gently caress did they think using the japanese names for locations was a good idea for the deluxe editions of the original manga, when it released right after The Last Order and most people nowadays have probably read that first!

I'm from Quebec. so I read the french translation that keeps all the original names.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Roth posted:

Actually, they should go with the version of Venom that loves kids and not whatever the hell this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvX9VillomY

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The thing is, a lot of good jrpgs have fun and well-designed systems that can be completely ignored by grinding your way to victory.

Just look at FFVII and how most people didn't realize just how broken the Materia system is.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I unironically love the SaGa series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

The SaGa GameBoy games they rebranded as Final Fantasy were legit.

I haven’t managed to play those yet: I started with SaGa Frontier and then really fell in love with the series with Minstrel Song.