Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Given his past performances and the sort of wrestling done by similarly injured wrestlers. I'm guessing it's gonna be a lot of shouting and prancing about with very little in the way of bumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And he once again uses Halo as his shorthand for terrible videogame. What a loving baby.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There's going to be a Dynasty Warriors movie? Why would you bother after Three Kingdoms the miniseries was so perfect? Do they just want the marginally sillier costumes?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

Welp, I never liked jew wario anyway. I hope the ca train wreck continues, destroying everything it ever stood for.
I exposure to the trad games community makes you kinda numb to this, but no need to be a dick about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I nominate business hammocks. Even though he's kind of a baby about a lot of stuff, he's very sincere in trying to understand stuff and is willing to read hundreds of pages of garbage daily.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mister Bibbs thinks interviews are way harder than they actually are because of his crippling inability to understand or relate to human emotions. So he assumes the reason he gets rejected is a failure to adequately explain his skills rather than his weird lizard stare.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ah and now moviebob has moved on to doing virtually nothing but retweeting people saying he totally isn't wrong for hating poor people.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

A couple friends of mine just showed me Stines Gate last night. We got about three episodes in and MAN I wished the whole "Time Travel is real" aspect was ripped out. Because then this would be a great slice of life show/Japanese version of Crying of Lot 49 but with a wannabe Rick Sanchez.
If you aren't watching it with the English dub, switch to the dub. It is legitimately great.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh yeah, of course. But this dove-tails into another problem with America. Housing shortages in major urban areas. Either because no one wan't to build or rent to low income people or because the wealthier residents fight to keep people from building new housing in order to keep their property values up.
There is also the problem of an entire industry of real-estate resellers purposely massively inflating the price of houses to hte point where people who actually want to live in houses rather than use them as a store of investment cannot buy them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yaws posted:

I'm sorry that CD doesn't like the MCU movies. You'll learn to move past this. In time.
That isn't a problem. The problem is that for some reason they like DCU movies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So is BotL a lovely clone of SMG or is he the evil universe version of SMG? I can't keep SA continuity straight.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah and that's admirable, but you appear to be malfunctioning because you're praising very bad genre fiction.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Your trap is laid on faulty premises. Waiting for Godot was entirely built around the wait, and if it happened as a mere scene added into the middle of say Jurassic Park I'd probably call it bad due to failing to intergrate the concepts laid in one part of the movie with concepts in another. Similar to the barrel scene not meshing with the other parts of the movie.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

“Not meshing”, in your opinion. A scene “not meshing” is a matter of taste, if a scene “doesn’t mesh”, that doesn’t make something bad. I thought the scene “meshed” fine, for instance. Am I somehow formally “wrong”?

Ultimately this is what I see as the problem; some folks just don’t like the scene, and in order to do more than say, “I didn’t like it”, they attempt to formalize that dislike by creating “rules” that make it seem like their taste is somehow informed by something deeper than their own taste
It's good to see that your stance is that art cannot have differing levels of quality. You may want to leave a thread primarily for discussing critics and criticism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well, kinda not? I mean, I don't think the purpose of criticism is to "rank" art by varying levels of "quality" if that's what you mean. I think criticism is rad and cool and a great way to talk about films, books, music, visual art, etc and furthermore, that the "purpose" of criticism (so much that there is one) is not to say "this is good" or "this is bad".
Of course not. The purpose is to say why, how, and to what purpose a film succeeds and or fails at presenting itself. Same way I can't "rank" someone's ability to dance, but I can certainly tell you when someone trips and face-plants.

Waffles Inc. posted:

IMO we can and should talk about art and its critics more deeply than "this movie is bad". And I reckon you agree! A good example of that is, for example, Ellis' third Hobbit video. Stood up on its own, it is a criticism of the art that isn't a qualitative criticism, and that's awesome :)
"This movie is bad" isn't very valuable, but "this is why this movie fails to connect with most people in the way it intended or the way they wanted it to" is a bit of a mouthful and it's much easier to say "here's why this movie is bad".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Augus posted:

someone should inform jontron that the simpsons hasn't been funny in like two decades
Unfortunately moviebob still thingks the Simpsons is funny. He does his whole appeal to "institution" and "unprecedented" thing all the time. Mister bob loves continuity and things that remind him of middle school too much to ever give up on it.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Say what you will about Night Mind, but he's helped promote Nyx Fears a lot. Her video style has improved a lot from what they were. I hope she eventually does some more critical essays on good movies again, since she watches movies that a lot of other youtubers won't touch.
Nightmind is actually really good about promoting his friends, Nyx just happens to be the most talented of that group. Also I can't really ever be mad at Night Mind for being wrong so often, because he always enjoys bad things so earnestly that it makes you wish the thing was as good for you as it is for him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The best JRPG is the original Digimon World.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also actively makes it easier to get more energy the longer you play rather than the inverse, and it's real world priced stuff generally didn't interact heavily with the energy system.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

My body is not ready.

Edit: Then again I guess it’s probably? the biggest series he’s done, at least in number of titles depending on what he wants to cover. There’s Far Cry, it’s console re-releases which changed some stuff, 2, 3, Blood Dragon, 4, maybe the Yeti thing from 4, and 5.
He also did all the Call of Duty games

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

So long as we're making requests, is there anyone who reviews or covers strategy games? (stuff like Total War, Europa Unversalis, etc.)
Reman is probably the best guy in terms of presentation for explaining eu4 stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In the Mouth of Madness is a masterpiece. Rotten Tomatoes is wrong.

Also his opinions on sonic are correct. Sonic Forces was the greatest work of comedy of our time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I see literally no reason those twitter spats should be in this thread.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean he just went on a twitter rant about how "more talented" people deserve to be billionaires and that any protest against this is just holding society back.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Moviebob's ideal America is the Gilded Age.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

While I also dislike bob that is straight up wrong. You are deliberately choosing to only count what jon has said in the past month or so but digging up bob's stuff from years ago. Whereas say this time last year Jon was talking about how "cultural marxism" was a real thing and calling refugees rapists. Please do not defend the literal neonazi.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It was dumb to arrest Dankula because Britain has dumb laws. That doesn't make raising five figures to pay against a three figure fine any less grift, and it doesn't make Dank any less responsible for immediately going full CHUD and buddying up with literal nazis.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I mean isn't is POSSIBLE... a shocking theory I know... that the guy who taught his girlfriends dog to do a hitler salute when he said 'gas all the jews' and 'seig heil' was just a nazi all along? And his video was a celebration of nazism and racism and was in fact actually hate speech? Shocking I know.

Also laws against nazi's are good imo.
I agree. I just think that getting arrested for it is an abridgment of freedom. Ostracize him, shame him, fire him, etc, I'm just uncomfortable with the government doing something that could result in jail-time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Devs are so poo poo. The promised rework for marine reptiles is never gonna materialize.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's a photoshop of a happy dog.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I wasn't 100% sold on all of his arguments either, but his initial point is right on the mark: People really can't seem to praise New Vegas without also making GBS threads all over Fallout 3 in the same breath. Like, I'm not gonna be contrarian and claim Bethesda's games are objectively superior or not buggy or whatever, but people seem to uniquely have it out for them in a way that borders on obsessive. Or just insecure, since it always seems to carry a twinge of "stupid normies and their F3, everyone knows New Vegas is better :qq:" plus all of the hilarious times people are ready to wage war on Obsidian's behalf based on hearsay. You can set your watch to some of those posts for inevitably they appear.
It's basically the same as when people are comparing say Nightmare on Elm Street movies that involve Wes Craven and those that don't. One involves the original team and the other doesn't so it understandably causes some resentment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It also doesn't help that the Super Mutants in Fallout 3 are a massive step backwards in characterization compared to them in previous fallout games.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's perfectly playable without nostalgia. You just need to be the sort of graph lover who plays dwarf fort, paradox games, etc unironically.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think you read my post with the intended tone. There is just a certain level of love of being rewarded for attention to detail needed. It's something I have but acknowledge is not necessarily as widely appealing as New Vegas which has a much more modern design with regards to accessibility.

edit:Really Foldable summarized it better than me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Honestly the game best at presenting the level of choice in Fallout 1 and 2 released in recent years was probably Tyranny. It gives you a huge number of choices many of them very difficulty to achieve, to show you how few choices there actually are under a despot. Tyranny was a very good game.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wasn't that also the reason given for going back to make all of the league of legends characters look as generic and bad as possible for their remakes?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I remember that broadly being the theory for why Urgot (a big fat stitched-together corpse-lookin' dude walking around on robot crab legs) took so long to get a rework, but that was the only case of it.
Swank was also made significantly more generic "badass male" by his rework.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, Swain went from The Penguin to Lucius Malfoy. Not exactly generic badass. It's a fine line because a lot of the older designs were/are goofy, ugly, or both. I do think they've been a little overly reserved lately, but it hasn't been in a way that comes off like "mass market appeal >>>>> all else".
If he was the only guy going from a fairly unique character design in game, an fairly frail old man, to a broad-shouldered traditionally masculine type I'd agree. However this is something that happened with almost every male character getting a redesign. Scion went from being a really goofy looking zombie man to basically indistinguishable from a WoW orc. Trundle went from a lanky troll to having the same barrel chest as every other man. Weird looking characters aren't allowed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The cohesive look is also just WoW but without the charm or anything copyrightable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I liked Nier but it did suffer from trying to be a game about being a dad and about being a child at the same time, due to there literally being two separate game built into the script. Which means that no matter which version you played some scenes were clearly meant for the other version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So if that's what they get with flash, what horrible 90s era program do anime studios use to make their cgi crowd characters?