Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's true but there were two actual lines of tournament modules which were all pretty lethal and the Tomb of Horrors was itself repurposed into a tournament module in later conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah most of the tournament modules I've read have premade characters you start with or required you to be playing in the organized play community. Which would mean only having loot and rules from organized play modules.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pretty weird for an actual video game to embody a particular sort of hack video game journalism, but yiik does seem to accomplish it.

edit: Is What a Deck a reference to something, because that's also the name of Hardleg Gaming's yugioh weird deck building channel?

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 30, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's fair, I was just wondering if there was some other joke I was missing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The argument would be that they're good in spite of the grind not because of it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It seems weird that the grinding conversation has come up like three times in this single thread. Where each time the claim is put forth that grinding was only a thing on the NES and SNES. Then it is fightfully pointed out that mid budget PS2 adn PS3 games were just as bad or worse, and it turns out that person or people claiming grinding had already disappeared only ever played a small portion fo later gen RPGs and woops didn't know about Nocturne of Disgaea or whatever other famously grind heavy game everyone else had in mind.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Motto posted:

Not really. PS2 SMT games are annoying because you have to reroll skill inheritance, not because of grinding. lets hang out is correct in that the conversation is circular because people who think of grinding as powerleveling talk past people who think JRPG combat is inherently grindy.

e: of course there are going to be some games that are or feel grindy, but that's because they're flawed or bad games. Plenty of others aren't, and many make it virtually impossible or pointless due to XP scaling or making combat or character progression not really about levels.
I'd say grinding for levels and grinding for drops or rng skills are basically the same thing, but it isn't inherent to JPRG combat. It's inherent to a sort of design mentality that pops up from time to time in just about any RPG community. Same way low level lethality is not inherent to American table top rpgs.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

dbzfandiego posted:

If you dont enjoy a game's base mechanics dont play it. This goes for everything and I'm not sure why JRPGs get so much flack for it.
There are plenty of times when a base mechanic can be enjoyable to you but also be implemented in such a way that you don't like.

RPGs in particular get flack for it though because they are frequently enjoyed as two completely disconnected experiences in their story and their gameplay. Hence the updated rereleases of story heavy crpgs frequently coming with a story mode that either skips combat or makes it impossible to lose. Though for them it's usually less avoiding combat for grind and more instant death attacks in a game were resurrection costs resources.

Though if you want other genres of game that experience similar criticisms people whined about collectathons both in their hayday and during the period of revival. Plenty of "Banjo Kazooie was never good" hot takes when Yooka-Laylee came out. In the modern day complaints about the repeated quests grind in ubisoft and ubisoft-a-like exploration games are a standard gamer complaint.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm not going to go through a bunch of old dumb articles but they mostly popped up because people were mad at YL and going "well this was obviously always bad". The older stuff was only really for DK64 and then the commercial tie-in games that followed a sort of default template.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The open world games with doodads to find are the exact ubisoft and ubisoft-a-likes being referred to. I also don't think people would have specific criticisms of a genre if it wasn't popular enough to at least be in the discussion.

It is perfectly valid to say "I really like X genre of games but Y thing that pops up in a lot of them turns me off". For me most of the grindier games that I otherwise like are just a pacing issue that is completely fixed with a x2 exp cheat or speed up in emulation. Or with persona in particular just wait for the re-release that makes its random elements less random and makes the mechanics more user friendly. I also agree that a dev saying they're trying to avoid grind is meaningless because it is functionally equivalent to promising good game pacing, or a proper amount of meaningful mechanical content for their game duration. Which yeah I would hope you're trying for that.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tifa's muscles were too small, I need to know she can punch or kick a giant tank robot to death.
Yes this 100%.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Youtube just can't stop being fuckers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I believe people were talking about this video that was posted several pages ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1SibNH-lA
Which itself references a few prior essays including Jack Saint's which I found to be pretty good as well.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Way I see it the situation is the same as any job that gives one access to children or other vulnerable people. It doesn't turn you into that, but it does attract abusers because of that access, and celebrity makes people who would be large scale abusers but are afraid of the consequences no longer afraid of the consequences.

Dias posted:

You think you're being more clever than you actually are. Positions of power enable creeps and assholes. People with platforms get an opportunity to control and manipulate fans/hopeful apprentices. That's what #MeToo was, it's not an exclusive YouTube thing.
yeah said better than me

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Imma level with you cap, that's true of basically all positions of power or celebrity. The lifestyle of an actor, politician, business mover/shaker is always unpleasant and only attractive to obsessives and creeps. Normal people just look for a position that allows for the smallest averaged stress between money coming in and on the job responsibilities.

Hell we had a pilot shortage because it's one of those obsession jobs without a strong creep contingent, relative to being like a manager at Walmart.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I think you under estimate just how much low level acting gigs suck. Also the enormous gap between the people who are middle managers/small business tyrants and the guys who can no longer be convicted of obviously killing their wives due to business connections. The former is not a path to the latter except in the dreams of delusional libertarians and liberals.

Like I agree that careers where one cannot be comfortable will always produce abusers or people who allow the career to abuse them. I just think you're not accounting for that being something that happens with all aspirational jobs. If you could imagine the kindergartner wanting to be a career it's probably actually garbage that involves enabling abusers or just relentlessly abusing its workers or both.

edit: Just for example wrestling, sci-fi/fantasy writing, table top game designers, and the video game industry have all had similar proportions of sex monsters to youtube. The only real difference being that these industries also have a problem with people just beating the poo poo out of others who are dependent on them, which youtube doesn't have as much due to physical distance.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 8, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I didn't hear that about darkviper. The only thing I saw on him was some use of the r word he apologized for. Though if I'm wrong let me know.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The only acceptable war on Christmas jokes are those made at the expense of Puritans for literally outlawing Christmas.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Macaluso posted:

On the other side you have a character like Akechi from Persona 5 and I am just utterly baffled at people that not only want him to get redeemed but there's so much fanart of him like being real friends with the group or hooking up with the main character and I'm like, this character is a very bad guy. I totally understand if you find this bad boy hot but I do not understand wanting him to suddenly be redeemed.
I mean the game's framing really wants you to sympathize with Akechi. Hence lettign him live in Royal. So I don't see it as too big a leap for fans. The lack of a hard "no gently caress that guy, I don't care" dialogue option when he appears to sacrifice himself is really the game's fault not any particular horny fan's.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The goldeye community is like all nazis and their thing is just pretending "oh no this one guy is terrible, we have no association with him anymore" everytime one is outed as a nazi. Hence Karl taking over for Goose as their youtube guy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Snyder joins forum and says all of his own movies were phoned in garbage fires except for Sucker Punch which is the good poo poo.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah but usually don't they just pay out the insurance money when they permanently maim a performer.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Understandable, but kinda hard not to be cynical about people coming back in the same time that patreons are being allowed.
Cynical about people coming back after the bare minimum of self promotion was allowed.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why are people responding to that Leal post as though it's an earnest opinion? Don't the clap emotes give it away as obvious sarcasm?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No saying the posts shouldn't be made, just that they seem to be replying to the wrong person.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Watch platonically are words to live by.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's cool when people can make money doing stuff they love in capitalist hellworld.
Also apologies for giving Leal the benefit of the doubt.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Paying a podcaster enough via patreon that they can do it full time and produce more episodes makes it easier for me to do my actual job. It gives me something else to listen to for staving off the boredom of a job where an mp3 player is fine but youtube is not. So I'm very grateful that they don't "have a real job", otherwise my "real job" would be much worse.

I also usually don't get surprise racism ruining a series the way I do with my other listening option, classic sci-fi and fantasy from audible.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I never really thought of paid GMings as normal just because I only play with people who are already close friends. So we generally pitch in to buy any equipment someone in the group might need. But if I was DMing for more distant people, I'd sure as hell demand people help pay for stuff.

On the TTRPG front though being subscribed to map makers on patreon has made GMings way way easier. Instead of scouring reddit for stuff of mediocre quality or buying each and everything off drivethruRPG I can get it all in a big RSS feed. Czepeku in particular are excellent. Whole bunch of variants on everything to make any given map more likely to be applicable to a given locale or plot point.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

tbh most "real jobs" are significantly more worthless than making LPs. Google exists to sell marketing information that is basically just superstition and astrology in terms of what it actually does for increasing sales. Same for the overwhelming majority of tech companies. Like you gotta put bread on the table but most computer toucher jobs are working toward a fundamentally worthless end. Even if you are doing real effort to achieve the worthless result.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 16, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The OCG is the Japanese game while the TCG is the international version. Either of them can have exclusive cards that the other does not have (yet) which means they need separate banlists. Also sometimes they rule differently on interactions between the same goddamn cards for some reason.
The OCG also includes Korea and English releases for South East Asia.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You're also just taking the hot take bit of a presumably longer interview.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Halfway into this and its entertaining but it's based on a very stupid premise.

Boars are loving nightmare monsters that regularly killed train hunters and it usually required a hunting party to safety get them.

It's entirely reasonable for the average boar to beat Magical Private Pile
But could it beat three squirrels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This does still lead to some weirdness with older tribes when they were more specific. Cat people, lions, and house cats are all cat type, but nagas, snakes, and serpents are all separate types. Some snake people being nagas and some snake people being snakes.