Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Mr.Radar posted:

Strat-Edgy rants about Thief 4 for an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9fDku4Cvg

This guy's scenery chewing is super annoying, which is a shame because his points are otherwise pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament arc was pretty cool, too.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Puppy Time posted:

It wasn't great, but it wasn't the bloated and pointless Chimera Ant arc. That arc just makes everything before it look great.

I haven't seen Hunter x Hunter yet, but what I've heard about the Chimera Ant arc is actually the biggest enticement I've seen yet.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I think it's great they added Jenny Nicholson to the Good Critics Cinematic Universe, she can carry her own but the is strong when she is with Lindsay

Oh cool, have they done a video together? I looked and only saw them talk a bit on Twitter.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Puppy Time posted:

There's a big problem with calling this "lazy," which I alluded to in my previous post: there are a lot of different skillsets in writing, and the vast majority of writers are going to have problems with at least a few of them. However, this isn't a natural state, in terms of how humans have told stories for most of history: normally, you'll find a variety of tales featuring stock characters, many of them involving similar events, just with variations according to region, time, who's doing the telling, etc. Hell, many of the greatest works of literature are, by this definition, fanfic, because the writer wasn't especially interested in coming up with their own characters.* William fukken Shakespeare himself used preexisting characters and stories pretty much exclusively, and nobody's calling him lazy!

When I took a crack at writing fanfic in high school, I almost always borrowed a setting, but not characters. I was intimidated by the prospect of worldbuilding and writing someone else's characters without loving up. Ultimately I ended up not even writing most of the ideas I had before deciding to do nonfic stories instead.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm watching Contra's new video and I feel like there's this huge in-joke happening that I'm not a part of.

Edit: oh this is totally a take down of Blaire White, isn't it?

She posted a comment on her video that explains what the video is about if you're having trouble with it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

The first I heard about the remastered Dark Souls was from a podcast that was down on it because the higher resolution made the textures look terrible.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

SpiritOfLenin posted:

What the gently caress. How the gently caress did they justify that claim?

They just covered the way both games began and were super impressed with FO3's immersive character-creation thing.

Edit: Here's the video. They also bag on New Vegas for using the amnesia cliche, because you don't get to see your character grow in real time. I don't buy it either.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2018

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

I recognized Dan, Lindsay, Hbomb, Natalie, and Jenny. I didn't recognize Todd and Kyle until I saw their names in that other tweet. Is Kyle growing his hair out?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Mokinokaro posted:

I honestly thought it was Brad in a wig at first...

Also AFAIK Todd keeps his face hidden for work reasons. He just values his privacy.

Yeah, I know, and it's working. I've seen the lower half of his face before from crossover videos and it still took me a while to make the connection.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

WampaLord posted:

Someone should show him Starcraft 1 and blow his mind when he hears "nuclear launch detected"

He's not nearly as insane in his videos as he is on Twitter. His video on The Big Bang Theory is actually pretty brilliant.

Yeah, I like both of the Big Bang Theory videos he did, but now that I know who made them I wish I didn't.

Edit: didn't know, not didn't like

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i wanted to like life is strange but i disliked chloe. and the fact that she is only a nice person if she gets hosed up in a car wreck was kinda hosed up. like i get her character and stuff but jesus. as someone who has disibilites i hate the "magic jesus cripple" poo poo. its why i hate me before you or fault in our stars.

I had kind of a rocky relationship with Life Is Strange for pretty much this reason, but I came to like Chloe just in time for one of the most irritating endings I've seen in years.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Yardbomb posted:

I don't think I could ever give DmC anything approaching this much credit.

Yeah, I've only seen bits and pieces of it, but it seems like Edgy Teenager's First Satire to me.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Max Wilco posted:

He says in the comments that they got it earlier than American audiences did.

I recognize this guy, MauLer. He did a pretty long rebuttal to HBomb's Dark Souls 2 Defense video, which I watched a while ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzKasf4_x34 He seems okay, albeit maybe a bit overly pedantic.

I admit, I'm curious to see why the rebuttal is nine hours long. Maybe I'll watch it if I have a free weekend.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

georg rockall-schmidt dropped a new video about bad plot twists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csNQ17Npcko

thumbnail is of one of my favorite bad movies so i'm in

I disagree with his assessment of Annihilation.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Beetle tendency.

There's an actual bugfight in JoJolion, too.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Baka-nin posted:

He also edited Dangerous Visions and its follow up Again, Dangerous Visions, which were 60s anthologies using short story submissions that would only publish stories that couldn't get published anywhere else because of their content. There all over the place in subjects, tone and style but its kinda uplifting to see how many stories wouldn't cause a fuss if they were submitted by an established writer today.

So what's going to happen to all of those stories he collected for The Last Dangerous Visions? I know they're going to be really outdated, but I'd at least like the chance to see them.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

FoldableHuman posted:

One of the things that I wanted Bomberguy to go into more detail about is how Lovecraft wasn't just "a product of his time" but was actually absurdly racist even by the standards of the absurdly racist time he lived in. Like, Jim Crow, Birth of a Nation, KKK-revival America looked at Lovecraft and went "whoah, that dude is pretty racist."

Birth of the Nation also got called out as racist when it came out by people like Jane Addams and Booker T. Washington. The conversation around the movie was hilariously similar to similar conversations on race to happen today, complete with D.W. Griffith publishing a pamphlet alleging that his right to free speech was under attack.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

englerp posted:

Personally, i kind of prefer the derivatives of Lovecraft's work like Stross' "A colder war" or the Laundry series to his works. Or that Gaiman story about Moriarty.

I adore stories that actively revise Lovecraft's work and rebut its problematic elements, like Ruthanna Emrys's "The Litany of Earth", Victor LaValle's The Ballad of Black Tom, and Kij Johnson's The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

I think I'm done with Spoony, anyway. I don't care what he thinks about movies anymore, and I've grown to love some of the dumb goofy bullshit that makes him get such a stick up his rear end sometimes.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo god no

Even if you're not super into comic books, you should probably check out the SFDebris series on the rise and fall of the comic empire because A. it's really good and B. it shows just what kind of horrible shitheel Liefield is. Among a bunch of other people.

Long story short for the relevant bits though, conning Kirby's grieving widow, throwing hissy fits over characters he wrote bits for but didn't own later coming out as gay, embezzling, and not doing work he was paid to do. Among other things.

I didn't know that Chuck has videos on Youtube. I remember him joking on Twitter about all the other hosting services he signed up for that died.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

business hammocks posted:

Iím so impressed by Maggie Mae Fish, how tightly written and cut all her stuff is and how she can move at big ideas from such a weird sideways angle and make it work so well, but what impressed me most is that her youtube comments are 100% chud-free even after hitting daddy Peterson and calling Burton trash.

Is there like a service you can hire to moderate your comments, or is she just watching her comment fields for a few days after publishing as part of making a good first impression?

I'm watching her castigate Tim Burton's Ed Wood movie right now and all I can think about is how it's one of Doug Walker's favorite movies of all time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

sexpig by night posted:

also wasn't Monae's album praised pretty much by everyone because it's objectively great?

I feel kinda bad because I like it a lot more than her other albums, and it's the first one that isn't linked to her Metropolis re-imagining multi-album concept.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

AriadneThread posted:

don't forget the denouement where this exact story started circling on the forums a couple years later and embarrassed goons started constantly contacting her to apologize on behalf of SA to the point where she felt compelled to make a statement about it telling people to let it go already

It's a wonder anybody who's accomplished anything creatively sticks around these parts.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Charmed Season 9 Comics by Movie Nights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46NmN8Q5Jpg and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuFRb4BWCo

I've been waiting for this.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Max Wilco posted:

By the way, did you know they're doing a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot?

https://twitter.com/anitasarkeesian...452699676921858

So with the Charmed reboot there's plenty of room for improvement, but with the Buffy one I honestly don't know, because I've never seen the original show. Does it hold up?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

GrandpaPants posted:

Still my favorite random slam on Joss Whedon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFK7oWLWapc#t=410s

Ditto!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Shaun said in his most recent Q&A that he doesn't really want to do another CinemaSins video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mPHnsfaNeY

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

RareAcumen posted:

Like Metal Gear it does have some elements to it. MGSV has Quiet and the audio logs of Paz and Chico being tortured, the whole thing with the Beauty and Beast squad in MGS4, Jojo has the protagonist willingly working with a nazi because the super vampire appears to be the bigger threat of the two since it can eat people by just touching them. And there was that orangutan creeping on that girl who... I'm not sure how old she was supposed to be. Eleven maybe?

Stroheim is the worst part of Battle Tendency. The weird part about him is that, at least in the anime, he's introduced as being a bad man who taunts the people he's going to sacrifice for science experiments, and then once the Pillar Men are introduced, the narrative drops that characterization and casts him in a softer light. At least he had the decency to die young.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

I barely watch anime these days, so I can't contribute that much, but I can recommend Monster and 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. They're both conspiracy thrillers with a lot of scope and characters, made by a talented artist with a unique aesthetic, though some of you might find that they both go on too long.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Puppy Time posted:

I've noticed a big disconnect, at least for me, in anime fandom is whether you're into anime for the visuals or not. I've noticed that there's shows (like FLCL) whose popularity I could never understand, until I realized that a lot of the fans are just really, really into the awesomely done animation, to the point that it will get them through an otherwise mediocre show. (Not that FLCL is necessarily bad- I haven't seen it in years, so I can't remember well enough to judge- but I remember feeling tremendously underwhelmed when I did watch it.)

I cheated when I watched FLCL because I had The AV Club's reviews of the show, which explained to me a lot of what the show was doing.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Monster is just plain good television, and you could safely recommend to to anyone who like drama shows in general.

I never watched the anime of Monster past the first arc with The Baby, but yeah, it's a good adaptation. 20th Century Boys, meanwhile, was never animated. Instead, it was adapted into three live action movies that I have not seen because there's no way they aren't a downgrade from the manga.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

thiefbot must be bitch as a neighbor

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

RareAcumen posted:

Since I don't look for and watch a ton of these videos I rarely have anything to contribute but I stumbled across this and whew. The only thing I can say is 'cursed image'

You're also missing special guest 'Notch/ Boogie too' so just a sterling cast to surround yourself with. I'm sure it won't be long before Alex Jones drops by.

I've seen some Sam O'Nella videos and he seems fine. Am I missing something?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

respect to the Extra Credits shout out, I like this guy

what's to respect about extra credits these days

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

So I found a video from a complete newcomer that very few people have seen, about a book series that very few people have read, but I saw it and I read it and I think they're both neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GRN036EhI

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

TheMaestroso posted:

Lol, I didn't know about the Matt Smith one. I'm a lot more excited about Dominic Monaghan, to be honest.

NOT PENNY'S STAR DESTROYER

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

So many pins!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

AriadneThread posted:

it's a new lindsey ellis video about the slow and painful grinding of souls into profit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FJEtCvb2Kw

drat it's been forever since i heard about lonelygirl15

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

bessantj posted:

Doug Walker in the wild. Also crazy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-QjEKjGjg

Doug would be dumb enough to vote for Mr. Peanutbutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

This statement is a lie!

Dragonatrix posted:

Youtube kept popping this up in my recommendations for some reason and I don't think it's been posted in this thread yet. It's a long watch (2 hours), and the video title intentionally copies what Hbomb names some of his long-form critiques but:

Steven Universe Is Garbage And Here's Why

Personally, I've never really watched Steven Universe since even the people who like it make it sound really scattershot and boring, so this was genuinely interesting and fascinating to see just how much of a mess it really is. On like every single level possible, really.

I'm not watching this video yet because I want to watch the show first, but I did see "The Legend of Korra Is Garbage and Here's Why" by the same creator. On one hand, they touched on a lot of what made Korra a frustrating watch, but on the other, they go into it with a lot of baffling base assumptions, the greatest of which being that animation is for kids and anyone who tries to make adult animation is doing so because they're insecure.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 28, 2018