Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's funny when you get people who think Abrams would have been really mad about Johnson 'ruining' Snoke's importance when that move is the kind of twist Abrams has been trying to pull off for ages.

He loves the idea of making the audience think someone is important and then killing them -- he wanted to kill off Jack Shepherd in the first episode of Lost, he wanted to kill off Poe Dameron in TFA, and I'm sure he's wanted to do it in other properties, but he always backed off for fear of audiences hating it. So Johnson did it and it was great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

stratofarius posted:

gently caress, share me your secrets. I'd love to put an end to 'X liked this' tweets.

you can also mute these phrases in content preferences to get rid of a lot of the annoying stuff:

suggest_recycled_tweet_inline

suggest_activity_tweet

You still have to constantly set it back to "latest tweets" instead of "home", but at least it gets rid of seeing everyone's likes.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This response is right because it’s addressing the substance of the question, but I can see the mode of address sparking a defensive or dismissive response. The presumed familiarity and imperative mood seem wildly inappropriately to me. Who treats a stranger this way and expects a polite response?

That's not imperative mood.

If she said "Please speak up on..." that would be imperative.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 10, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s extremely presumptuous in expressing entitlement to an answer and presumes guilt or moral laxity with the noun “collaboration” and epithet “known homophobe.” I feel like there’s a lot of people who never learned the difference between feeling an emotion and working it out all over somebody else.

Actually the tweet uses "collab" as a verb, and the epithet is "transphobe," not "homophobe." You really aren't reading very carefully!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The Sarah Dessen thing is making me laugh so much because I read her books as a teenage girl and they are such teenage girl books. And that's all that college student said about them! "These are aimed at teenagers, which is fine, but this is university and we should be trying to challenge readers at a higher level." The author is so sensitive that an accurate description of the target audience of her books made her cry!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

you are truly a martyr. thank you for all your sacrifices.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LBGT representation in Marvel films is pretty similar to in something like Overwatch -- it's all in side content and not in the main product so it can be easily ignored when sold to homophobic markets. And of course Marvel films are products rather than, as Scorsese said, the cinema of people conveying emotional experience to other humans.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

while the later is total boomer yelling at clouds bullshit.

Why do you think that? I think it's pretty accurate. Marvel films are far more product than they are attempts to communicate ideas about humanity.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

there hasn't been a good movie made in America since the 1970s

What makes a good movie for you? I know it's easy to be dismayed by the dominance of shallow blockbusters but there have been some pretty great movies made in recent years - Moonlight, Lady Bird and Carol are all ones that come to mind immediately for me.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's because you didn't put qualifiers in your original statement, you made it a binary between the value of a movie being a product or not product, of cinema or not cinema. All films are cinema, and all films are products and all products are cinema. But just as all not all films are equally good, or enjoyable, or even equally good or enjoyable to all audiences, afterall the only scene I liked from the Godfather is the pasta sauce recipe scene. Ergo, some films are more products than they are cinema, but they are still "cinema" because cinema is just a construct with no reasonable definition that would also exclude "products".

I can concede that depending on the given MCU film it's more of a product created to result in profits and deliver mainly spectacle or act as a mere touchstone for the grander project; but some clearly successfully delivering emotional experiences that people value and find meaning in. I tear up whenever I rewatch Kungfu Panda, it's art, it's cinema.

As such, taking Scorsese at face value that a genre he doesn't likes is somehow not cinema is just the new Roger Ebert with "video games are not and can never be art"; it's out of touch and you'll be dead and six feet under the ground and no one will remember what you've said except to chuckle.

What I think matters is the primary aim of a movie. Is the objective of a Marvel movie to communicate a particular idea, or to sell itself? What about Kung Fu Panda, as you say, or the Lighthouse, or Moonlight?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Alaois posted:

listen you seem okay so i'm not gonna go off at you but c'mon lol

I mean I agree that the American film landscape is kinda depressing, but there's still good stuff! Don't lose hope!

I just like cinema, ok!!

But also yeah other countries are making really really great films that get totally ignored. China in particular has really great movies on industrial alienation.

Edit: please everyone watch Angels Wear White. Thanks.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 24, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who are you to decide that they don't aim to convey a emotional experience? Does James Gunn go into work on Guardians of the Galaxy being like, "I'm just here to cash a cheque"? No, he wants to make a kickass movie that he feels reaches out and connects to people. He, the writers, the producers, the actors; in the aggregate want to make a good movie.

When a T-34 comes off the assembly line from Tankograd and we say, "This machine kills fascists!" it isn't because some bureaucrat decided it; but because that T-34 is like the spirit bomb of the proletariat.

Sorry I don't really what you're saying with that last sentence. Is it that meaning is created by the audience, not by those who produce it? I agree with that. I think you can disregard the intentions behind the makers and look at what the film actually is ad says.

And to me, at least, Marvel films don't say much of anything. Their function is to sell themselves over and over again. Each one even ends with post-credit scenes serving as advertisements to keep up with the next one!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Why don't we all engage in a fun discussion of the creation of meaning in film!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think meaning is a conspiracy cooked up by the dark god that sleeps in the marianas trench and whispers to us in our dreams

What do the whispers say to you

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mischalaniouse posted:

Oh I fully expect JJ to take a boring predictable "don't worry fans, we're sorry about TLJ" route and go "No actually, Rey's parentage is important, she really is a Skywalker or whatever, Kylo Ren was just lying" and undo every other interesting thing that TLJ did.

I really don't expect this at all from JJ, because what Rian pulled off with both "Rey is nobody" and "Snoke gets ganked" is the kind of thing JJ has been trying to do since Lost (killing off Jack in the pilot, and again wanting to kill off Poe Dameron in the opening of TFA). I could be wrong, but I think he would have been really excited with that development and won't walk it back.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

The problem though is that Snyder himself doesn't really know how to make movies so of course he's been telling everyone "It's totally done! It's ready to go!" and he'll keep on telling people that, in spite of all actual evidence to the contrary, and the fanatics will just gobble it up.

I mean, he's made quite a few films by now. I think he might have some idea of how movie production works.

Anyway, whatever form the Snyder cut takes, I'm pretty interested in it, despite not really caring much for any of the DC films. It was just such a clusterfuck of a production, and a totally bizarre end result, that I'm really curious to see what the early form of it was.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I agree with McIntosh on this one. Well, the fundamental of what he's saying if not the totality, which is often what I think when I read McIntosh's work. A basically interesting idea taken to extreme stupidity.

Anyway, I loved TLJ and I am a bit concerned now that I will not enjoy RoS but that's ok because I am taking my guide dog in training to see it and therefore if it's bad I have only to look down at my feet and gaze into the soft eyes of a labrador and I will be reminded that it is just a movie and there are more important things in life.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lmao

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1207933233205170182

https://twitter.com/cooIval/status/1207946543258464259

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think I've only ever clapped at a movie when I'm at a festival or screening and the filmmakers are likely to be in the audience.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think "but some men are attracted to muscular women" is a very good critical response to the idea that female character designs are often limited by what is considered conventionally attractive.

Overwatch is actually a really good example to see how the range of body types and faces for female characters is far more restricted than for male characters. You have some women who are larger, like Zarya or Brigitte, but they're not anywhere near as cartoonishly proportioned as, say, Junkrat or Roadhog. And all of the female characters have very similar faces. The overall effect is female characters have less exciting and novel designs.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i'm having serious deja vu

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

That's pretty much my issue with it. I get that it's a different writer, but you'd think an editor or someone would have looked it over and thought, "Hm, this seems to run counter to our sentiments that games should be easy and accessible. Perhaps I should ask the writer to revise this."

Even then, the article doesn't really boil down to that much. It's just, 'I couldn't beat this encounter, so I turned on Easy mode and kept it on, and I found that the game was too easy!'

I dunno, I think it's better that they run opinion pieces making different arguments rather than sticking to one editorial mandate. There are multiple opinions on the difficulty/accessibility issue, so why not host those multiple perspectives?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

Also, I don't know if anyone noticed or were too distracted talking about OP to notice my question but does twitter accounts count as internet personalities? I want to do a shameless self-plug for a fun early 2000s nostalgia themed account I've been working on.

I say go for it!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/Early2000sStuff/status/1137129396635144192

Haha this is a cool revelation

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Broey Deschanel is a great username, and her videos sound great so I'll definitely take a look at them.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The "worldbuilding" in Harry Potter was fine when it was a pastiche of British boarding school culture but with magic, but then Rowling bought into the "expanded universe" concept and tried to give the impression that it was all really well thought out and made complete sense.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Endorph posted:

heck it was fine even at the end of the books because the world outside britain had barely been touched on which was fine because you didnt really think about it in the context of the narrative, it was when she started trying to fill out the 'world' in an obvious backfill way that it became stupid

Yeah I think she only really went off the rails with Pottermore. Even the charity books of fantastic beasts and the quidditch one were both just funny little add-ons that mostly served to make ten-year-old me think "woah, what a cool sounding magic horse!" or "the rug that creeps under doors and eats children is going to kill me tonight." Listen, I would even go to bat for the infamous "wizards used to poo poo themselves constantly" tweet because it is, imo, just a joke about how loving dumb wizards are.

Not that I actually care to defend any of her output, lol. I am quite happy to leave Harry Potter behind as a defining part of my childhood that taught me to love reading, and not in any context greater than that.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

The best thing about the "poopsies begone!" lore is I remember people discussing it when it first showed up on Pottermore years before the tweet, but I guess Rowling felt this factoid about wizard bowel movements was not getting enough traction and it had to be tweeted it out to god and everyone, and once again I can't begin to imagine what is going on in the centers of her brain that aren't dedicated to transphobia.

That definitely is the funniest thing about it. "This is an incredibly important fact about my world, it MUST reach a larger audience!"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think the publishing companies probably had a lot more to do with the threat of a lawsuit than Chuck Sending. He's an easily hateable face for the movement, but don't focus everything on him. Power in the publishing industry is insanely concentrated - there are basically 5 publishers that produce 80% of books globally. They have a lot of weight to throw around.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

He signal boosted this poo poo on Twitter and then ran behind the "it's the publishers not me!" defense when people got mad at him. He can go gently caress himself. I can hate both publishers pushing for the archive to close and him for being a petulant rear end in a top hat.

Oh that's definitely true, I just wanted to bring publishers into this conversation.

Srice posted:

There was a post in the Book Barn about this stuff that sounds rather plausible to me.

Yeah ebook sales have plateaued recently and publishers are going crazy trying to figure out how to make them more profitable -- because of course, there must be infinite growth!

edit: Also compared to the film, tv and music industry, piracy isn't actually that big of a problem for books. I'm sure it definitely affects some authors, but on a large scale ebooks are genuinely really easy to buy, as compared to the pre-streaming heyday of piracy for tv and music.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 13, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWfD2oFJQvM

This video is really great for a) informing me about an illness I had never heard of before and b) showing off all her anime figurines and posters

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I think all three of the Arland games got rated 18+. I have a very confused post in the RPG thread asking "uhh, what the heck? I just played L+S and it was very family friendly, wth is going on in Arland?" It's literally just some racy jokes.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I do think there's an interesting discussion to be had over how the medium of video games makes players feel personally involved and implicated in stories, to a greater degree perhaps than films and books. If I read a book with a terrible main character who commits atrocities, I don't necessarily think the author is telling me that I am implicit in those atrocities, but is examining the kind of person who would. But when video games explore that same subject, that tends to be a major complaint, because the player does perform those actions in an abstracted way.

A character in a movie attacking civilians with white phosphorous is at a greater distance than when the player must press the button to make a character attack civilians with white phosphorous, and I think that changes peoples' reactions.

I don't have any opinions on TLOU 2 or Spec Ops because I have never played either, but I think it's a genuinely interesting avenue of criticism.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's the same vein as people who like horror movies but can't stand playing horror games (me, kind of). Even though there's still a screen separating you, it's ME deciding to open the scary door. It's ME getting grabbed and hacked.

Doing something with that interactivity is what sets great games apart from good ones.

That's interesting, actually, because I can't handle horror movies but there are (mild) horror games I can push myself through because... I guess because I have the power to beat the horror elements up myself? Depending on the game. Prey was one of those, and Subnautica was too scary for me in the end, despite how much I enjoyed it.

(Yes I know that giving those two examples shows how much of a wimp I am when it comes to horror)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

Here's a video by a Japanese youtuber about weird depictions of Japan in western games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khvABtJAUYE

I don't think there's any good way to add a translation to the video, but there's not a massive amount of text so I guess I'll summarize here:

- Starts with the 3 big patterns of Japanese depictions: ninja, samurai, and yakuza. They further add that a lot of the time ninjas are shown working as assassins for Japanese companies and organizations. Samurai are depicted as being the sensei of the foreign protagonist, who teaches them the ways of Japan. Yakuza are depicted as just plain evil. Saints Row 2 having honorable ninja yakuza stands out as dumb, although that's pretty much the joke in the game.

- Then they note that everyone in Japan in a video game has a katana and they all love swordfighting. Medal of Honor Rising Sun is also a standout as a WWII game that has a sushi chef that throws knives as a weapon. They have a cutaway to the Saints Row 2 guy saying "You die!" and there's text on-screen that says "finish them off with your sword!" Then in the corner some text pops up that says "No guns. Absolutely not."

- They have a segment on how everyone gets sumo absolutely wrong with all kinds of different genres of games, including some weird flash game or something that has mid-air sumo. They have a title card at the end that says "this is not sumo anymore."

- They mention the way that western devs slap stupid fake Japanese signs all over the place and how it looks incredibly weird. It's pretty dense and I can't read all of it especially cause it's broken Japanese.
--- CoD Infinite Warfare has a big tower that says "tower" on it, and some sign that tries (pitiably) to talk about renewable energy that ends up with a line that says 「いいえ、排出しません。」 which kind of roughly translates to English as "no, I'm not having an emission". CoD has trucks belonging to a company called "truck company".
--- Red Steel is really bad, where a bunch of signs are literally just tilted 90 degrees. Red Steel also has a movie called "Lightning: The Movie" and a bottle of liquor that says "nothing" on it.
--- Kane & Lynch has a flipped sign that looks like it says "today" instead of "Japan" (they use the same characters). Kane and Lynch has a big building that has a neon sign that says "please make an investment" on it.

- They move on to depictions of culture. They mention a strange western view of Japanese culture that mixes up China and Japan. The video maker then draws what they imagine to be a meeting of western game devs making a Japan stage.
--- Step 1: sushi. There's more Japan-themed stages with sushi than without it.
--- Step 2: geishas
--- Step 3: suits of traditional armor. Western Japan-themed stages are full of suits of traditional armor
--- Step 4: gotta make sure that you take off your shoes before you go in the house. But... you're not supposed to leave them all the way outside, like in NoLF2. There's a entryway part of the house for that. They're gonna get ruined.
--- Step 5: make sure that we include futons instead of mattresses (but all the futons just look like mattresses that were put on the floor).
--- Step 6: make sure everyone says "gaijin" (with a terrible accent that sounds like "gaiji" according to the comment section)
--- Step 7: anime has to have 1) a skinny young guy with a huge sword, 2) boob jiggle, 3) then tentacles

- Then it goes to the most straightforward part: Japanese characters in western games speaking Japanese horribly. Red Steel has a Japanese character speaking to her Japanese father and on the phone in just a really terrible approximation of the language. Kane and Lynch sounds like it has people reading phonetically off of cards. COD: World at War just has the Japanese characters rudely say the phrase "you are not strong" two times in a row. Even the yakuza have terrible accents.

And from there it's pretty self-explanatory. Just talking about the terrible pronunciation from Japanese characters. At the end they mention that yakuza with such terrible accents would never be able to threaten anyone.

Thanks so much for providing a translation of it, that's a cool video.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Does waypoint still exist? I thought it shut down and is now just vice games.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

To be fair I think it's reductive to attribute opinions to "Waypoint" as a whole -- those are critical pieces by individual authors responding to games in particular ways (Red Strings Club aside, which they did make into an editorial thing). Which can be dumb, of course, but also fun! I thought the piece on TLOUII and its relation to the Israel-Palestine conflict was really interesting.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 20, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

DisDisDis posted:

even from someone wanting to expell this guy from fandom the mindset about what he was doing (does it really hurt the children etc) is insane to me and by the author's testimony seemed to extend to most of the community. how the hell was the general atmosphere that and not 'drag him to the police?' Hippyism?

Yeah that is an absolutely horrific article -- the lightness with which that letter seems to have been written is shocking.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

Hana Kimura got harassed by antis over a staged confrontation on a reality show so bad that she killed herself

Can you elaborate on this because it seems like attributing a tragedy to a subset of people you already dislike. Antis as I understand it typically means people who protest pedophilia, sexual abuse, other forms of discrimination in media and fandom to sometimes absurd and themselves abusive lengths. Saying the people who harassed Hana Kimura were all antis seems very reductive. I would also consider it more a western social media phenomenon than Japanese, although to be fair I know nothing of Japanese social media so who knows.

edit:

^^^

https://twitter.com/PlussyKnight/status/1287961279177666561

God, that's so sad.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Dire Lemming posted:

I don't think you understand what literal means. Also I'm pretty sure the whole werewolf imprinting thing is presented as unambiguously bad in general as well as in that specific case. Like that doesn't make it fine but you're also stretching the truth to paint Twilight as uniquely bad which is what people are talking about when they say it doesn't deserve the level of hate it gets.

This isn't at all true, werewolf imprinting was definitely painted a romantic "true love" deal. I was a certified Twilight fan for about six months as a teen, so trust me.