Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Darth Walrus posted:

So someone somewhere else on the Internet said that the cancelled CA tenth anniversary special would have been based on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Goddamn.

Ten little Critics standin' in a line,
One had a twitter war and then there were nine;

Nine little Critics during gamergate,
One got harrassed and then there were eight.

Eight little Critics, dream job in heaven.
One had surgery and then there were seven;

Seven little Critics using camera tricks,
One got a Patreon and then there were six.

Six little Critics all posting live,
One investigated 8chan and then there were five;

Five little Critics on the basement floor,
One asked for water and then there were four.

Four little Critics on a filming spree,
One missed a video and then there were three;

Three little Critics doing what they do,
One heard nothing and then there were two

Two little Critics sitting in the sun,
One read the google doc and then there was one;

One little Critic livin' all alone,
He took all the revenue and then there were none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's done it. He's gone and done it. He's lost his mind, and soon will lose his back.

Man, they're setting up an awful quick remake of The Wrestler here, aren't they.

e X posted:

Aren't back injuries in the top three things that will absolutely happen to every wrestler? The other two being neck and knee.

Back injuries are in the top three things that will happen to everybody at some point in their life, to be fair.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Bakeneko posted:

I’ve just read that disgusting joke of a response from Mike and… wow. I feel the need to repeat my comment from a while ago about Mike being a shittier and shittier person every time I hear about him.

It’s hilarious that, even when he’s trying to provide evidence to back up his claims, he still can’t get it right because it doesn’t say what he thinks it says:

Except, if you look at the chat log in question, in no way does it “clearly demonstrate” that this was the first time they were hearing about the allegations. All it proves is that they were discussing the situation in January 2013 before they finally resolved a month later to kick the guy out. Frankly, from the way it’s worded it sounds more like a last straw situation and that they had dealt with similar complaints before.

Also, intentionally or not, they've given the Internet Journalist brigade a nice convenient time slice to figure out who all the unnamed parties are in this case.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

In memoriam for CA you better have a framing skit or two where you badly cosplay characters from the game. Also point a gun at a console (with a wig on it) you don't like and pretend to shoot it in a hilarious skit.

Now I'm picturing some sort of weird YouTube "tribute album" to CA; the biggest problem would be a variation of Poe's law; it'd be nearly impossible to distinguish a parody of peak CA cringe from the real thing. So who's in?

Also, Down The Rabbit Hole has scheduled a live reading for this evening. At this point I'm kinda loathe to listen to any more of it because frankly, the fallout from the response has taken this far from schadenfreude territory. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02UX9g0DQE

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Here's someone who's been making things for a few months, mainly in the intersection of fighting and crazy:

How an American "Ninja" Tricked Hollywood, about Frank Dux's claims of being a super ninja and the pop culture product of this, Bloodsport.

edit: yeah, the guy reaches a fair bit in his reviews at times, but hey, there's potential here.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 13, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Roth posted:

I hope the Channel Awesome controversy gets turned into a professional documentary that goes on to win Oscars and then gets turned into a biopic about Doug Walker.

David Fincher could do a great drama about CA called The Antisocial Network

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, John Goodman.

Steve Buscemi would be FilmBrain.

Todd In The Shadows could be played with a rotating cast of cameos of the actual creators.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

The Bee posted:

Larry didn't just beat the game. He fought the secret final boss, and won.

I think this is the sort of game ending that From Software would create and HBomberguy would devote 15 minutes of a 90 minute video to talk about it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

I think he's trying to compartmentalize the stuff he covers, some with more levity than others. The Cabin Fever Dreams series is mostly the "it can be weird or funny, but there's not much analysis to be done here" so it's probably better he treats it lightly than trying to frame-by-frame a lolrandom video series.

I kinda feel bad for some creators in niche stuff like NM: by the time you've got the following you've often mined the best of the material out there. Or worse in his case you have the creative Ouroboros of many new attempts at an ARG will be by his own followers which probably makes them more likely to be derivative and not worth talking about. Kinda feel like the guy might need to do some delving into classic horror or historic legends more to keep up his pace.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I dunno how to feel about the new Jon Bois segment. I think I like Jon the most when it's just him, whenever someone who isn't Jon is talking my interest just drops to zero.

Yeah, that was kinda meh. Compare that to the What if Barry Bonds never had a bat segment he did that tried to figure out a statistically calculated but goofy outcome. If they had gone through the effort of "okay, when Shaq missed the final free throw what was the chance his team rebounded and scored anyway" and tried to apply that as a followup to the original it would have shown way more effort than what they did. Lord knows Shaq did that enough times they could figure out that number. Or "how many times did he get his own rebound and score anyway" type stuff.

Bois is SBB's bessing and curse; he's the most popular guy they have and now they're trying to cram everyone else on the team into that mold rather than finding their own voice.

Now they're having him appear in "crossover" style episodes to try and boost eyeballs to other people on the channel...

...wait, this sounds familiar.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

Hell, same.

Brows Held High teases those comparisons near the end of his great video about the room, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7pUs-9C-gY but it's just a quick comparison to some classic movies.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand dubbing VAs are often terrible.

On the other hand the original VAs are also often terrible.

I feel like foreign language can be a bit of a cover for mediocre voice acting in terms of inflection and delivery, so I'll take a mediocre performance in Japanese over an equally meh English one. Also my tolerance for over-the-top anime voices (especially for the bad cutesy voice) is much higher when it's not in English. On the other hand, when it's dubbed well, especially in genres like comedy which really need timing, I'll happily take dubbed versions over subbed.

Bonus of dubbing: I can have it on in the background and work on stuff without having my eyes glued to the screen to keep up with what's going on. Winner: Netflix over Crunchyroll.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Adlai Stevenson posted:

He has a really hard time suspending his disbelief to any real degree, even if he otherwise likes the film

Some of his nitpicking can be fun, like when he pulls apart "non-supernatural" horror movies for characters that teleport or other ridiculous contrivances, but sometimes it's way off. His review of a quiet place had a big bit on a kid drowning in a grain elevator, which is very much a real thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_entrapment and can be found with a ten second google search. He finds some gems but a lot of them are CinemaSins level "flaws".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Alaois posted:

https://www.facebook.com/WingChunNe...02448903294257/
rare, exclusive footage of me (saenchai) vs everyone in this thread

Look, we're trying to get away from Star Wars arguments, stop bringing up Thai Fighters.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

My list is pretty basic, but here goes. Links to ones not normally talked about.

Media critics: Lindsay Ellis, HBomb, Folding Ideas and RLM. Those are fairly uncontroversial choices.

Not-always-media-critics: John Bois and Austin McConnell. Sometimes they cover pop culture, other times they cover weird other stuff, but they both put a fair amount of thought into their work. This Exists is mostly retired, but he did some good delving into pop culture obscura. Also good on him for eventually realizing that his content was slipping by fighting "the algorithm" with frequent vids and calling a halt.

Guilty Pleasures: Night Mind. More for entertainment than for analysis, but I enjoy them, especially when they stay light on the framing skits. Right now Jenny Nicholson sits here as well; she does good work, but I haven't seen anything of hers yet that really tears stuff apart like the folks above do. It's entertaining, but not super insightful, just fun. That being said I'm catching up on her stuff so that might change, maybe it's just what videos of hers have been recommended to me so far.

Music theory stuff totally unrelated to this discussion but I'll plug them: 12 tone, Adam Neely. Adam delves more into occasional clickbait weirdness vids but they both cover some cool music theory stuff.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah that's been my thought from the start, that story doesn't sound like "WOW! INCREDIBLE! STREAMER BECOMES MEGASTAR OVERNIGHT!" that just sounds like "So someone sneakily invested some fat rear end cash in this guy huh?"

I was going with astroturfing by the game makers to try and create a star system for the game.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I think the old series are colluding or something because EMH updated twice this month after being dead for 2 years, and Tribe Twelve is tweeting (though I think that one was still semi-active).

I'm guessing it's also the Night Mind effect - he's sending new eyeballs their way as people explore his back catalog and they're seeing the viewer numbers come back again, so might as well keep going. Also Patreon has become a thing so they can have that as a mini-revenue-stream on the side without having to break too much character in the videos.

I can imagine perks such as "we'll send you a mysterious package from _______" or "our evil twitter being will mark you for death" or such.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Impermanent posted:

if we have to kill movie theatres to kill superhero films.... so be it.

I'm more leaning towards the RLM theory of superhero films killing theater films for anything but blockbusters or big cities that can afford "art house" specialty houses.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm not eager for the implosion of superhero flicks, just for many years I was expecting it. I've been very apathetic of superhero flicks for the last decade and I haven't seen one since Iron Man 2 but I'm not thirsting for their destruction.

Note: I saw Batman v Superman and a bit of Suicide Squad but I'd rather forget.

Contrary to what a lot of 30-45 year-old nerds seem to be opining online, I'm kinda okay with the fact the pop culture behemoth is no longer targeting me. Because when it does, it just feels kinda embarrassing *cough*ReadyPlayerOne*cough*. Like I'll go and see them if friends want to go, but I'm batting about 50/50 on seeing them in the theater unless they get some particularly rave reviews.

I'm not wishing for the death of superhero movies at this point; I'm just kinda tired of them but also I'm getting old and probably wouldn't care for whatever blockbuster they'd replace it with anyway.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I feel like this thread needs like a customs declaration form where we all link to a doc with our opinions on whatever divisive media/person gets frequently talked about. That way people can just link to their long-form essay when the usual arguments start and gradually expand their essay to refute all other points. Also the thread knows who immediately to ignore if the essay includes the finer points on ethics in videogame journalism.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Grondoth posted:

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

Also the guy doing the soundtrack has some interesting videos of his own: The Kunst Saga | How the Right Wing Views Modern Art

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Only a few historians know the dark secret that most of Plato's dialogues were between his normal self and him wearing a cheap anime wig, oftentimes ending with him pointing a toy sword at a scroll.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Just watch Night Court in its entirety. It stands up.

Some parts of that show have aged real badly, like sexual-harasser-with-a-heart-of-gold Dan Fielding. No fault of John Larroquette, but yeah.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

DoubleCakes posted:

SuperButterBuns has a new video on the Kingdom Hearts series and I don't know if I'd recommend anyone to take Buns' advice but at the same time it's rather sensible. Anyone who makes a guide on how to get into a large and convoluted series like KH has to be a good soul. These kind of videos are so good for people although I can't think of many series like KH where playing just about every game is part of the gameplan to prepare for KH3.

I only got a bit through KH1 and decided to play KH2; the opening chunk not only got me up to speed but according to people who played 1 all the way through made the story much better by cutting all the cruft off of it and sticking to the emotional beats.

business hammocks posted:

He has a lot in common with the self-help industry and even cult leaders in that regard, where the point seems to be to keep talking for hours using indirect language that forces people to work harder than they have to in figuring out what he's saying, lulling them into a kind of trance. He's dangerous because he's a reactionary and attracts the nazi teens and 30-somethings.

I go with the simpler answer of pop academia being full of "I'm an expert on subject X; let me prove it with complicated stuff I know simply explained. Now let me explain subject Y which I have no background in, but LOOK HOW SMART I AM WITH SUBJECT X". I remember a prof making mad bank in funding by babbling computer science at psyc profs and psyc at computer science profs; if you knew both his theories had all been thrown out the window in the 1960's and 1970's but it sounds so cool and intuitive and deep. He was very briefly my supervisor and as soon as I realized what he was pulling I was NOPE and bailed for someone real.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

Are there game-breaking issues I don't know about? That's the kind of thing that I associate with incompetence. Using an inefficient shader says to me that the devs are inexperienced with the issues that arise from it, not that they have no idea what they're doing.

Yeah, a "we made a decision early on that turned out to be not optimal and we can't easily back out of it" isn't "incompetence" as much as "the story of any large software project", more so when you've got a team having to work independently and under a time restriction.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh poo poo, a new Plinketto and a new special guest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcNT6jYGwI

Also, semi related but if for some reason you don't follow Len, he's doing an indiegogo thing and looks like there's some special guests slated for his next film too:

https://twitter.com/killerwolffilms...231548719108096

It's appropriately/endearingly incompetent that he left in the template text as part of his pitch:

quote:

The Impact
Feel free to explain more about your campaign and let people know the difference their contribution will make:

Explain why your project is valuable to the contributor and to the world.
Point out your successful track record with projects like this (if you have one).
Make it real for people and build trust.
Risks & Challenges
People value your transparency. Be open and stand out by providing insight into the risks and obstacles you may face on the way to achieving your goal.

Share what qualifies you to overcome these hurdles.
Describe your plan for solving these challenges.
Other Ways You Can Help
Some people just can't contribute, but that doesn't mean they can't help:

Ask folks to get the word out and make some noise about your campaign.
Remind them to use the Indiegogo share tools!
And that's all there is to it.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Ah man, that game hooked me good. I had rented the game and fell so hard I played it for a weekend, barely stopping to sleep. I didn't finish it, so I overwrote all three save files with mine so when I returned it hopefully one would be there when I rented it the next weekend. Thankfully they were still there and I finished it pretty quickly after that.

Finished the entire thing, including the matrix side quest; if you did all the side stuff the ending was a romp and kinda anticlimactic but still a great game. In the days before internet faqs it was the mark of a good game where you could pretty much wring everything from a game even with a missing manual as well. I'll avoid playing it in modern time to keep my nostalgia intact, however.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

business hammocks posted:

I don't know if they went to Disneyland or not, but suddenly I want to know if there is a guy dressed up like Kylo Ren that walks around the Star Wars things and if Jenny Nicholson could make her own Escape From Tomorrow by bothering him on camera. He'd make that push-up Gaston look like a chump.

Now I'm wondering if Disneyland has their version of the Casino black book for "Disney-focused YouTube personality: DO NOT ENGAGE IN POSSIBLE VIRAL VIDEO SHENANIGANS WITHOUT CORPORATE APPROVAL".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Now I'M wondering if Disney has people watching YouTube videos to find not just Disney-focused YouTube personalities, but any and all of them just in case any of them decide to make a Disney based video.

The Vegas casino biggies have analytics that hook into social media to identify good/bad points with peoples' trips versus what they did at the park, what they spent etc., so I imagine that Disney would would operate with a similar system if the data is available (like any fast-pass badges, rewards cards etc.). And I'm sure they have "influencers" flagged as well, plus a general scrub of posts that go up with any of a myriad of Disney-related keywords.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

Ultimately who's more of a weirdo, the weirdo or the person incessantly prodding and stalking the weirdo?

Back in the day I had to deal with fallout from the ljdrama going after a person because it intersected with events I was staffing; she was legitimately stalking some D-list celebrity, but in turn they were stalking her, posting photos of her house, calling social services, and trying to get her banned from the local conventions and events by inventing people and incidents. Turns out at the same time the person leading this charge was herself an ljdrama subject for impersonating celebrities online within the same fandom and sending bogus takedown notices to people for fanfiction she didn't approve of. It was obsessive stalker turtles all the way down.

DoubleCakes posted:

Really sucks that Nick is/was at a loss for inspiration. Really crunchy post-horror like Marble Hornets and Unedited Footage are rare and if that's the thing that Nick needs to really get his passion burning then its plain as day why he's frustrated. Unfortunately it's because content of that quality and complexity are so scarce that Night Mind's livelihood is vulnerable. I almost wonder if in the future Night Mind will have to focus on more traditional horror moreso than it does now.

He's hit the problem that plagues a lot of content creators - he got where he was by mining the good stuff and now that he's got a following, he needs to dig deeper. Unlike a lot of creators he hasn't picked a particularly deep well to drink from. I hope he finds his swagger again; I also feel like he probably needs to start working his review muscles a bit more. He's got obsessive detail down, but I feel he could beef up on more classical review skills to get more to work with.

This also feels like a bit of a cautionary tale of "job versus passion", and the pitfalls if you can only do the former if it's also the latter.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

me and my dingus friends thought our RTS lan parties were like, the loving Matrix level future. We were dumb nerd kids who thought the fact that we could do RISK but ON THE COMPUTER with UNITS and BUILDINGS was absolute madness. That chunk of internet history was a weird but kinda beautiful time where we had a lot of wonder at what was happening. Obviously there's tons to be amazed about now and God help me I'd never trade my crappy wi-fi for the old dialup days or whatever but it is insane to think how rapidly the shift from 'my university has a computer, it takes up a room and you need five boxes of punch cards to do one thing (no poo poo my boyfriend's mom took that class, she worked with punchcards and all and thought she was getting ready for the fuckin space age)' to 'now we can have computers...IN OUR HOUSE...Look I can download a picture that some dude in China put up holy poo poo' to 'I carry a computer in my pocket and yell at it when it takes ten seconds to show me the hellsite I go to get called a human being on'.

As a child one of my earliest memories of experiencing technology culture shock was my grade school teacher telling me not to type my rough drafts out because I'd have to retype the entire thing after she made spelling corrections; the concept of editing a document was completely alien to her and it was up to me as a know-it-all eight year old having to explain to her I could just fix the word and reprint the entire thing.

Starting with that, going over to a modem and BBS stuff, it's an amazing shift that just a few decades later I can be screamed at by 14-year-olds for not furthering their dreams of being a star Overwatch player by ruining their ranking.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Part of me wonders if our demand for book-depth in our movies (or in some cases movies adapted from books) means people want more background when none was ever needed before, and movie execs are happy to fill in that gap with whatever connects the dots.

Is this just a modern film development? Did anyone really care that much that Obi Wan's life story was barely explained in Star Wars when it came out? I mean, the average comic book origin story back in the 80's and before took approximately one page, not an entire movie's worth of material.

Are we as audiences just less satisfied with filling the gaps on a character's life ourselves now? Or are we okay with that as long as it's not pointed out, but movies are happy to cash in on those anyway? I'm one to generally shrug at best on prequels or continuing stories that already felt completed, but that's me.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think that's true. I think there's something special to playing the game yourself, and the combat is not THAT bad and if you engage with the side missions for extra weapons can actually become pretty fun/fast at the very least. The problem is the game puts its worst foot forward with the level in the lumbermill, it is bad but no other combat section is as bad as that one.

Deadly Premonition is Twin Peaks filtered through Japan and then badly translated back into English.

The special edition of Deadly Premonition from what I understand made combat much less tedious, and yeah, one of the first couple side missions unlocks basically the only guns you need to use for the game. Playing that around a television with a group of friends to pass the controller (not to mention navigate with the physical map they included and a copy of gamefaqs for some of the weird stuff) and enjoy the cutscenes as they unfolded was a blast, not to mention the reactions when the physics engine poo poo the bed while driving and sent our car flying. And we always served pie. None of us believed when we started that we'd actually make it through the game, but we did, and I remember more from that game than most of the AAA stuff I've seen in the last few years.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i never minded grinding in jrpgs, in fact i really like doing it sometimes when i need to do something to clear my mind and not think. it's prolly why i really like the first dragon quest game despite it being archaic at best and consisting mostly of grinding for money and levels.

I can handle the grind on portable systems; I hit a certain limit sitting on a couch where I start asking too many life questions if I've spent 60 hours of my life on a game.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's been a long time since I played so my memories are fuzzy, but I recall you follow a certain character around, they go to their very boarded up basement or something. I don't remember anything outright saying it until the plot reveals it, but you can infer it early based on the character's actions against the others.

Things like that are why I have an unironic love for the game; it's one of the few games where I look at it and say "man, this game really just needed a bigger budget and team".

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Hel posted:

Isn't that the point? By making references that most people get but presenting them as "secret & obscure" knowledge you are making most of the audience feel special, it's a cynical thing to do but it doesn't means it's not effective. I'm not familiar enough with Ernest Cline to know if it's intentional or if he's only familiar with the common stuff though.

Bingo. This sort of thing isn't old. I remember family members thinking Frasier was "high brow" because they name dropped classical music and philosophers in the show, despite none of the jokes needing you to know anything besides "La Boheme is an opera", which the previous line mentioned they were coming back from the opera. It's remarkably good at engendering "in group" feelings. Big Bang Theory took the Frasier cultural reference model and adapted it towards a new demographic, that's all.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

khwarezm posted:

I'd legit probably find the show kind of interesting if they dug deep into the most obscure nerd ephemera, shows like the Venture Bros tend to do that and it's interesting to see since it implies that that is the kind of stuff that's generally on the creators mind and conjures a different image from some overworked sitcom writer hack who's written basically the same episode for thirty years trying to remember what nerds are meant to like.

My all time award for deep nerd poo poo goes to an episode of Elementary that did a pretty good job of explaining P versus NP in complexity theory, including the implications for cryptography if they're equal. They had it going right up to the end where they use the most elusive secret in computer theory to somehow hack a security camera to cover for some lovers quarrel murder, but points for going the distance on a pretty geeky concept. This is literally the only episode I've seen of that show and I'm afraid it'd all be downhill from there.

For related deep nerd poo poo, the magical MacGuffin in Sneakers was basically a P=NP solver.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the problem isn't the movies (very uncontroversial hot take: Lady Ghostbusters was fine, WW had a fascist lead and a deeply confused core ethos but was perfectly fine too) the problem is holding up the most absolute generic products possible as the icons.

For me that was the missing takeaway from Ghostbusters; plenty of male-led generic action comedies/reboots make mad bank at the box office and the world shrugs and says "that's Hollywood". For Ghostbusters the sexism isn't found in the "you must like this movie and declare it good or else you're a bad person", the sexism is found in the "this movie must best a classic comedy in every way or else it is trash and must not be seen by anyone". That movie got painted into a corner where crowds needed the nod of universal acclaim to see it, and critics tried, but ultimately it wasn't enough.

It was fine as a summer popcorn movie, but it wasn't allowed to be that; it had to be "important" so people feel the need to declare these movies the greatest of all time to justify a bar that should't be all that high in the first place.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

The idea that video games need their own Oscar night to show how mature and legitimate they are as a medium is dumb to me because they're already the largest entertainment business in the world, but the industry as a whole thinks they need to look the part and appear professional all of a sudden.

On one hand you're not wrong, on the other hand "We need to show the world we're unified and professional and culturally relevant" was pretty much the impetus for the Academy Awards when they formed it, so why wouldn't video games want to do the same thing?

I think the central problem isn't that one can't award cool artistic or emotionally relevant experiences in video games, it's that the companies bankrolling these awards are the ones producing the video game equivalent of Michael Bay movies and the audience that goes with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

McIntosh is just the cutest little utter berk. I'm not convinced that he isn't actually a bot designed for nothing but pumping out puritanical hot takes.

Hot takes on currently trending things are just social media optimization; he's just a few weeks behind the trending Pokemon announcement and should really pick up the pace if he's going to get those sweet argument views.

Leal posted:

It's rock fighting

vs

Which rock is the better rock

Doesn't matter; paper will beat it anyway.