Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon
410,757,864,530 DEAD COPS

Baka-nin posted:

Before this thread gets started I think we should all take a moment of reflection and look at the last threads wall of shame.

I regret nothing only a few things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remember when Doug had a tantrum about Tommy wiseau flagging his The Roomvideo so he made a response video where he Put on a bad wig and yelled in a bad polish accent for twenty minutes? I'm betting their video response will be like that except with Doug playing everyone else.

I forgot which video producer it was but someone else got their video on The Room taken down and was ready to get pissed about it but it was apparently quickly resolved and he got his video back. These things are rarely personal and treating it as such is pretty immature.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Pirate Jenny posted:

Can someone do a statistical analysis of the accusations they "refute" and how many are from women (and Hope Within Chaos, a man alleging sexual harassment) vs. how many people are just in that Google doc? I would but it kind of makes me ill to look at chat logs I made in 2012 being used to refute a point that... wait it didn't actually refute anything did it.

I'm just saying holy poo poo did they disproportionately focus on women.

Wow goddamn you're right, this trainwreck just gets worse and worse

Lightning Knight posted:

I dunno if it's appropriate for this thread but reviews for God of War are coming out (SkillUp's) and it's drawing universal praise and 10/10s, which is not what I expected tbh.

^ I think that "best [thing]" lists are dumb when you use them as a vehicle to post your favorite [thing], but that they can have value as retrospective historical pieces. Unfortunately, most writers are hacks.

The new God of War strikes me as Video Game Oscarbait that's trying to do the whole "video games are art guys like look at this it's just like a Hollywood movie" thing. The combat looks pretty drat awkward and it strikes me as being really derivative of current industry trends. I don't know if it's something that video game critics would really give a fair assessment of, because its something the average game critic will want to like from the outset for "proving that games have matured". I'm open to being proven wrong but that's just how it comes across to me.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 12, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/st...576447712055296

lol

It'd be poetry if this ended with the last remaining Channel Awesome producer being fired for being disrespectful to the site

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 13, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

I dunno how I feel about purple-haired captain. Like, I didn't dislike her or anything but I also didn't really find any reason to be attached to her. It feels like a weird character to give the most visually-impressive heroic sacrifice in the series. It's like they came up with the lightspeed scene first and then nobody could agree on who should be driving the ship

For the record though, the scenes between Rey and Kylo are some of the best material to come out of Star Wars

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you fools are missing the real problem with The Last Jedi

There is no reason why it should matter if the capital ship was running out of fuel because in the vacuum of space there is no friction to slow inertia. The chase should have gone on forever.

gently caress.

Augus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 13, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Darth Walrus posted:

I may be misremembering the details, but I think it was a mod challenge LK placed where a certain poster had to post ‘baba booey’ once a day for a month or be banned. One day, LK probated them, so they couldn’t meet their deadline. They PM’d ‘baba booey’ to LK as compensation, but LK didn’t accept it and banned them. The admins decided this was unreasonably vindictive, and demodded LK.

SA drama is loving bizarre.

This is a brand of drama that I can get behind

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

make me mod I'll mod the poo poo out of these forums nobody will know what hit em

"Thanks uh...you...guy"
"Larry"
"Right"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

La Mulana is a bit hard to discuss because puzzles are a very subjective thing, what's very hard for you might be easy for me and vice versa. But still, I love La Mulana's obtuseness that forces you to pay attention to minor details, take notes, and draw connections between hints that might be on the complete opposite sides of the map. Props to you for following through with your commitment to beating it without a guide, even if it take an absurd amount of time. It's such an absorbing world to get hopelessly lost in and it's a game that I have a great fondness for. Still waiting with baited breath for the sequel

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Looks like I know what I'm watching later today

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Superman did 9/11

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Wonder Woman is the only modern superhero movie that actually really captures the idealism of the classic superhero concept and legit really inspires people to be better people.

That's not to dismiss stuff like Thor Ragnarok but the superhero label is a bit of a misnomer when they're really more like dramas and pulp adventure flicks starring people with crazy powers.

The Superman movies (especially the second one) come across as cynical despite not technically having a cynical message because they roll around in cartoonish misery, suffering, and hopeless melodrama like a pig in poo poo to the point that a happy ending just feels like a halfhearted afterthought. A film that has a joke about peeing in a jar immediately leading into congress being blown up does not exactly inspire feelings of optimism.

Don't @ me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What you're criticizing is that the movies convincingly portray a bleak and broken world. The heroes recognize this, but choose to believe that things can be better in spite of no matter how bad things are. This is why the antagonists - Zod, Luthor, Batman - are cynics and nihilists.
and in doing so it offers a fascist worldview where this one man is the only person who can fix the world and if people just understood him everything would be better, so he is free to act out in an idiotic and childish fashion as the world conspires to undermine his greatness and therefore absolve him of all wrongdoing. All the evils in the world are the work of one billionaire who can be easily identified and punched when the opportunity presents itself, and superman can punch that man because he is great. It presents the same childish narrative as usual but by backing it up with "gritty realism" it only makes itself more harmful by convincing people that this is how real life works. It boldly tells the audience to their face that they should not question the actions of those in power, they are better than us and they are right, and to question their highly questionable actions is evil. We should resign ourselves to the misery of the world and leave our fate to a higher power who will save us. You're right that Batman vs Superman predicted Trump, because it accurately represents and reinforces the mindset that elected Trump and still supports him. "Trump is our hero, Trump is here to save us. The people holding trials investigating Trump's numerous crimes are trying to undermine him because they hate his greatness. If everyone just understood that Trump is here to help us the world would be a better place"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

ricdesi posted:

Wonder Woman is at exactly zero points in her own movie in any danger because she is a weapon forged by the gods.

and it doesn't matter because Diana's personal safety isn't what's at stake. she's there to save others, not herself.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

"if only you had actually watched the movie you would understand how brilliant it is"

yeah I'm done here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Yardbomb posted:

She eventually let it slip a little.

It's just the most eye-rollingly typical IDF rear end kissing and that alone's gotten to be enough for me.

When was this posted.
EDIT: 2014? Ehhhhhhh

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 21, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

OldTennisCourt posted:

Shin Godzilla is one of the best movies of the past 5 years tbh

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Raycevick just uploaded a video about Warframe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbHFGE4Siow

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

no communication issues have been communicated to me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

MariusLecter posted:

Teal and coral just own?

can confirm

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

So...who's up for another video about Dark Souls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWdBhc3Wjc

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

So I'm watching through Lindsay Ellis's Hobbit videos and I'm sorry but this is really bugging me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs#t=1246s
(20:46 if the timestamp doesn't work)

So...what I'm seeing here is a Dragon Priest deciding to use the Tatsumaki Senpukyaku right towards a cliff for some reason, sending himself off said cliff...and our hero just kinda...wacks the back of his knee while he's doing that?

...What?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

someone should inform jontron that the simpsons hasn't been funny in like two decades

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Yardbomb posted:

Also these lame pricks are so pitiful at coming up with new material or arguments that they've STILL just gotta keep on with ~political correctness~ in the year of our lord 2018, even though that phrase hasn't been used in earnest in how loving long, pretty much because they have a choice of that or channer slang by this point, which is usually outright bigoted rather than "You know what I'm sayin" bigoted like the "PC GONE MAD " crap.

"PC" carries the implication of "everyone knows my lovely views are the truth" so that's why they keep using it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm worried that Incredibles 2 will really emphasize "NEW THINGS BAD". That's how I interpreted the trailer, and obviously you could assume that Incredible 2 will subvert that trope but I'm not holding my breath for the film.

The message I got from the trailers was "it's hard to adjust to new things but it's necessary and your kids should be more important to you than preserving the status quo" but idk

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been predicting the crash of superhero films for the last five years and what keeps it afloat is that production companies are getting better at remixing the formula and finding new ways to reinvent the genre.

Same here and yet 2017 was a pretty amazing year for the subgenre. There were like, half a dozen different comic book movies in one year that were awesome showcases of creativity, skill, and innovation that set themselves apart from every other superhero movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

I think they're fantasizing about corporate blockbusters dying and people finally appreciating True Art as if after superheroes are gone people won't just find the Next Big Thing to run into the ground

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

I still have a soft spot for 8 Bit Theater. Probably helps that Brian Clevinger actually improved as a writer over time and started, like, actually publishing real comics and stuff.

I mean, uh, Sonic! Tails! Shadow! Robotnik! Knuckles! KNUCKLES! K.N.U.C.K.L.E.S.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Conal Cochran posted:

I thought the overall presentation of HBomb's video was great, but wouldn't disagree with anyone who said that its form seems to consciously be compensating for a video that seems a little unfocused in its overall argument. Like he wanted make a video about misogyny within gamer culture and another video about misogyny in The Room but didn't feel like he had enough substance to do them individually so he just decided to make them into one video. Its structure makes it work better than it should, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm not sure I could give you a concise answer on what the video's thesis is.

I mean it had a pretty clear throughline of "crappy stories shouldn't just be dissected for their obvious problems of form and objective quality but how they send a clear message that, in its own way, can be thought-provoking in how realistically one-sided it is"

Hareton Splimby took shots at people for cashing in on The Room but I think The Disaster Artist actually did something valuable by highlighting how the movie came from that sort of uncomfortably personal place and wasn't just "a movie with bad acting and stuff". It also said a lot about the struggle that up-and-coming actors face and the emotional damage that was inflicted on other people in Wiseau's quest for personal validation. Though admittedly the book probably did a much better job at this. Greg's side of the story is likely biased in its own way but it's still insightful.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 27, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol broke brained mutherfuckers.

?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

5 out of 5 stars Get your geek crush on. Pure Adventure.
By The Mad Hatter [VINE VOICE] on August 16, 2011
Format: Hardcover

Do you know who Gary Gygax is?
Can you quote lines from nearly every John Hughes movie?
Ever wish you could drive a Delorean?

If you answered yes to any of these than run now and buy a copy of Ready Player One because your favorite book of the year has arrived. In fact, buy two so you have one to lend out knowing your collection is still complete. The movie Fanboys [Blu-ray] was Cline's love letter to Star Wars while Ready Player One is his scrawled over notebook to everything he loved about the 70's and 80's and tied into a story just as memorable as all the movies and games he mentions. Even if you don't get all the references the story can most definitely still be enjoyed.

Ready Player One is pure adventure mixing media, a dystopian future, and a virtual world known as OASIS. A virtual treasure hunt for the fortune of the world's richest man and most famous game designer has been announced, but 5 years later no one seems close to solving the puzzle. Everyone wants in, but few have the skills and knowledge until all hell breaks loose as gunter (egg hunter) Wade Watts cracks the first clue.

With lots of humor and pop-culture references that never seem forced Cline has created one of my favorite Sci-Fi novels of the last decade. It isn't hard Sci-Fi by any stretch, but an adventure style quest with pop-culture trappings in a virtual world where everything can be made real. Ready Player One also has heart and lovable characters as believable friendships and relationships develop. There is an evil corporation that you'll love to hate and there is even a bad guy you just pray will get his in the end. All in all Cline has stacked the deck to make this a memorable read that I finished in two days.

Children of the 80's rejoice and get your geek crush on. This is one to savor and fall over in love with again upon each eventual re-read.

Now if we could only transport the Richard Donner of the 80's through time to direct the eventual awesome movie that will be Ready Player One...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

I mean Hbomberguy basically has a correct reading of the prequels which is backed up by other Star Wars material, particularly the Clone Wars cartoons which owned, and even the latest Star Wars movie. Personally where I disagree is largely in subjective elements regarding how well it was executed. Which is pretty subjective.

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, it's not obscurantist but it's a facile and obvious argument. I guess if people really are that shallow and incurious then it's fine but I don't see what he offers that I can't get from just thinking about things with my brain

Why do people watch movies video essays?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Calaveron posted:

Rots is boring as poo poo. It goes from people chatting in a landing pad to people chatting in an office to people chatting in a conference room, so dull

the scene with them chatting in a crazy neon opera house was pretty cool tho, in all honesty

dmboogie posted:

finally got around to watching lindsay ellis's hobbit videos - I hadn't watched any of her stuff before, but as someone who was originally very excited for the hobbit films it was fascinating to see a breakdown of how everything... broke down.

It also bummed me out because I still get chills from the scene where the dwarves sing The Misty Mountains Cold, and it makes me wistful for what could have been.

The first act of An Unexpected Journey showed a ton of promise and heart and then it was just downhill from there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Grondoth posted:

This came out and you fuckers are talking about star wars still? christ

It HAS a SOUNDTRACK

yeah it's like his best video yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

so uh I had no idea this was a thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4_BU4tc6RE
how does this fit into the forced analogy where trump is voldemort?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah, the harry potter game is super lovely with its ridiculous energy system but I don't think it's intrinsically bad.

there aren't any games that I know of that use those energy systems without putting a real-world price point on energy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Dean of Swing posted:

I'm sure Ubisoft will take this all to heart for Far Cry 6 and definitely not make another game that will make them the max money with the most cost efficient amount of spin.

Your how old and expected what?

sir I think you wandered into the wrong thread

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

why do gamers think that criticism implies outrage
is it because outrage is their natural state of being so they just assume that everyone else is doing it too

rhetorical questions. gently caress video games

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 2, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Junpei Hyde posted:

To be fair the skits were some of the best parts of the new Hbomb imo

calling that "skits" is an insult
it's an avant-garde masterpiece that demands your respect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone even remember Primal? Was it even that big a deal when it launched? I kinda remember it being buried between a few dozen AssCreed games.

I mean "Influencers" were treating it like a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 2010
I am trash mon

"I don't mean manchild as an insult" is a pretty odd thing to say