Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

i think the arkham games, an especially arkham knight, are also extremely bad at depicting batman.

That's fair. I think so as well.

There's so many different interpretations of Batman, Superman, and basically every comic character that not everything is going to work for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mainstream superhero comics being a serialized story with no end point really exacerbate the problems with Batman's premise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alaois posted:

modern batman comics are like a neverending nightmare that nobody can escape from, its dark in there man, there's three jokers, tom king was allowed to write almost 100 issues, Dick Grayson got shot in the head and started calling himself Ric

Jason Todd has fans

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

this is meaningless twitter drama and the person you're talking about already apologized about this, didn't really do anything very objectionable in the first place, and does not actually have clout. their normal twitter posts get double digit or sometimes triple digit likes/RTs, they're borderline a nobody.

"I just care too much about this, I'm sorry for the 50 reply twitter threads I regularly send artists/writers telling them they suck poo poo and gently caress you for not posting your support for your colleagues where I can see it before I make bad assumptions about you"

Forgive me, but I don't have much sympathy for a twitter superstar whose idea of activism is screeching at people on twitter.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endorph posted:

tbf its definitely worth noting from an industry perspective that even in the us alone manga outsells comics by a lot, even with how popular and iconic comic book *characters* are. like it definitely speaks to some kind of disconnect in terms of how the comics industry operates and what people actually want.

but its not proof of manga being better or anything, or the industry being better

I'd have to go digging for it but I recall a very detailed post in BSS by Edge & Christian explaining how the comic industry does actually do better than manga does in America.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If Eugenics was a thing would Bob think he himself would be an exception?

Bob thinks he's a genius so yes

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC and Marvel being large, shared universes is part of the appeal. Plenty of people bounce off of it for various reasons, but there's also plenty of people that love following the universe, learning about decades old stories, and character histories. It doesn't really bother me that a character might refer to a story or event that in another comic that I didn't read, because that's just part of the universe. It's bigger than just the stuff I've chosen to read.

Comparing it to One Piece isn't great, because One Piece is one, linear story as opposed to a collection of stories compiled by hundreds of artists/writers over decades. It's more comparable to something like Star Trek than any shonen manga.

Full disclosure: I think people way overhype the inaccessibility of DC and Marvel comics. I can't remember the last time I read a comic that referred to another story that didn't include information in the narrative explaining what it was they're talking about. Ignoring that though, there's plenty of American comics put out by Image, Boom, IDW, Aftershock, or whoever that function just like One Piece. Just pick up issue 1 and start from there. There's more to comics than just what Marvel and DC put out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jojo is good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

the difference is that with western comics the confusion lies in what you're supposed to buy in the first place, unlike manga where you just start from issue 1, and jjba being weird is basically half the appeal

I mean, you can just read non-Marvel/DC books if big shared universes aren't your thing. It works the same way as manga.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually, Thor and Daredevil are almost nothing but high quality comics for 50 years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Seemlar posted:

I know how comics work and have easy access to find out information about them and still find it oppressively hard to break in let alone follow interesting things.

The X-Men recently had a line wide, really good relaunch. Part of what made it accessible is they shut down the entire slate of X-Men books and just had single story covered by two books you could follow, both starting at issue 1. Easy!

Now it's already back to reading orders and YOU ARE HERE maps

How could an average person ever hope to check out [title] when there's at least five versions of [title] running, probably competing with compiled releases of older runs as a bonus? And any given story you might even manage to break into could take a 90 degree turn at any moment and become something different because of a universe event story? Or it could just instantly look like a completely different story entirely out of nowhere because it was drawn by some filler grunt artist that month?

That's just a release schedule of X-Men related comics. You don't have to be reading New Mutants to understand what's happening in X-Force or whatever.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's not necessarily a bad thing. If a bad writer gets a character I like and writes trash, then oh well, it'll come and go. If One Piece, Naruto, My Hero Academia, Bleach, Berserk, Jojo, or whatever goes to poo poo then that's just it for that series.

It's fine that people have reasons they don't really care for superhero comics. The event comics, changing writers/artists, lack of permanence, convoluted universes, lack of clarity on where to begin are all good reasons to not be super invested. However, I think it's fine that superhero comics don't appeal to everyone. I like a bunch of that stuff, like how there's always a feeling of finding out something new or that writers/artists reinterpret the characters in so many different ways. Al Ewing's been writing a Hulk that's basically a horror series now and playing up the body horror of being the Hulk, and it's really cool. The next guy that writes Hulk could be trash, but there will be others that take over eventually as well. I think people should just realize that following superhero comics just aren't their kind of thing, and that doesn't mean there's something horrifically wrong with them that needs to be fixed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The ones where Daredevil pretended to be his own brother just to mess with Karen Page are terrific, although I guess you did say 50 years and not 60 years.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Bleach is great because there's a part where Kenpachi gets a power up by using Kendo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think the problem is that the guy on the comic shop probably recommended it on the basis of "Where do I start with current Batman?" because Tom King's run was the current run at the time.

James Tynion IV's Detective Comics is a far more enjoyable read from the same period.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked Saga for a while, but there was a point where it felt like it was just trying to be an HBO show with gratuitous sex scenes and nudity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I like a nice superhero comic from 1983 where you get a tight 22 pages with a setup, a little soap opera part where Peter can’t afford to take Mary Jane on a date, the villain’s introduced and they have a fight, we cut to Harry registering for classes at college and hitting on a cute secretary, Peter comes up with a plan to beat the villain, they fight again and now Peter wins, then Peter manages to have his date and maybe there’s a panel or two at the end where next month’s villain is watching him from the shadows. Why does anyone need more than that?