Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's till amazing to me that so much of youtube relies on people not being smart enough to have a good adblocker.

Mobile devices and set-top boxes/consoles/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

i am tim! posted:

The most important thing I’ve learned about beetles fighting is that the males are so gung-ho about throwing other beetles that they’re liable to toss a lady beetle out of the tree after banging because they don’t know what else to do.

Much like Jordan Peterson's lobster lessons

But good

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

A speedrunning guy, got linked to him through the summoningsalt videos.

I've seen some of his stuff and the dude always gave me a weird vibe. That said--I went to his Twitter and this was what he'd posted:

https://twitter.com/RWhiteGoose/status/1067707564689776642

I was surprised. Doesn't excuse anything--but taking responsibility is a refreshing change (even if it's the starting line, not the finish line; some of these were like six months ago, my dude).

On the other hand, I'm not surprised at the other guy's response. Not one bit.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

That's totally fair. It very well could be lip service, and like I said if you watch his videos he's a bit of a weird dude so I'm certainly not assuming anything positive. It's just that not seeing somebody double down, by itself, is rare enough that I'm like "huh."

I am OK if he is doing it because he's scared of what happens if he's not. That is also just fine. Social opprobrium should be a useful tool.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Dragon Quest games, 2 onwards, have always been grindy as hell though, with loooooooong playtimes.

DQ2 is a standout in how grindy it is (mostly due to being about 50% un-playtested, and it'd be hard to say that many games didn't learn the wrong lessons from it), but I don't think that's really true for the series as a whole. DQ4, 5, and 11 at least don't really require any grind and I've heard (haven't played it) that 8 is similar. I think that Messr. GrandpaPants has it--the marginal gear improvements available from town to town are a carrot to encourage players who are having trouble manipulating the battle system. If you grind enough to get the money to buy it all, your level will be high enough to power through combat, but when you understand the system (aggressively use buffs and debuffs, mostly, but a lot of enemies are vulnerable to status effects) you don't often need to go out of your way to brute-force things.

I'm no speedrunner, but the last time I played DW4 it took me like 12-13 hours to beat it, with no metal farming. The record is around 6:30:00.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

a cartoon duck posted:

donald did nothing wrong

ADAB

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

In retrospect, it was a mistake to hand the management of our entire society over to a bunch of Silicon Valley STEMlord vampire idiots.

But! Jack Conte founded Pomplamoose! These vampire idiots were quirky!

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

The pain in the rear end for Patreon, and why turning into a creaking monstrosity was always probably inevitable, is that it sits at the intersection of a few things:

- There is a path to making what they'd call "market dominating money", but

- The marginal value of individual users is small (in part because they charge too little, since users, even ones who are making money, are weird about spending money), and

- They've hired a tech and leadership team that thinks the best and smartest way to acquire more users is to burn money in trash bins. Usually through marketing. Marketing budgets are universally batshit.

I touch computers (and I make most of my money from consulting for these piñatas) but I pretty firmly believe in sustainable business models and I've been thinking for a while now about how Patreon screwed this up, mostly because they keep screwing it up in slightly different ways. They keep trying to unsubtly optimize for time-spent-on-Patreon, not value-to-Patreon-creators. Nobody goes on Patreon to "explore people they can support", they go because they're directly linked to that Patreon via the thing that people want to support. This is the sort of business that one or two people could run, could take a moderately higher percentage off the top (call it 10%, inclusive of payment fees--incentivizing the service to optimize those payment fees, you don't have to pay retail rates for Stripe/PayPal and there are other options besides), and make a sustainable business instead of some kind of eat-the-world thing. And moving off of Patreon is itself probably dangerous for creators at this point because their patrons will remember that they're giving them money and stop, or just not follow to a new platform. I don't know how to solve that without offering some kind of promotional match or something...at which point you need money...at which point you, too, need VC. gently caress.

I dunno. There are Patreon competitors, but they seem to be poorly designed and none of them seem to have the look of a service that's responsive to the needs of its users--they all just look like they kinda suck. I can see a way to do it incrementally, with services built into the platform over time to better support creators--like actually-private videos, it just isn't that expensive to do--that could be a win-win for everybody. The itch.io of Patreon, basically. I wonder if there's some appetite for something better like that.

(Anybody here do a lot with Patreon and have that appetite?)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 6, 2019

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was the nuttiest thing about that medium post dan linked - how many people already worked at patreon BEFORE the new massive infusion of vc money. that's why i said i wish i had thought of it, me and a couple of pals coulda been the whole company.

You and a couple of pals could have been the whole company if you didn't make Patreon and instead made a smarter company. I've interviewed there before, and I've also got a LinkedIn Premium account so I've done a little snooping; they're very customer support heavy (implicit in something more sustainable is that you don't necessarily go-the-extra-mile in handholding or the like, you build better/smarter processes to avoid the need for it) and because they've reached out all their tentacles aiming for some kind of business model with a higher ROI they have a ton of knob-turners in their development/operations space who probably aren't actually important for running the thing people care about.

Normal people (at least the sorts of normal people who use Patreon) aren't that bad at things so as to need the kind of super-solicitous support that modern startups think they do.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I would be a little wary of saying it would "only" take a few hundred people. Maybe if you could isolate the problem to the English-speaking world, but probably not even then--YouTube's so big it's hard to wrap your head around the scope of poo poo that needs to be reviewed.

There's also the problem of what happens to these people. Facebook's content moderation team, as gong-show awful as it is, ends up breaking a lot of people's brains. More are probably needed just to spread it out.

(edit: to be clear, it is very doable and they need to do it, this is not an excuse)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

poparena posted:

New Nick Knacks for ya' on Mr. Wizard's World, an 80s revival of a 50s childrens science show that inspired both Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

I'm really digging your stuff, but one bit of feedback: I'm not sure that big, long quotes (like at 10:30) work generally in the video-essay format. If you're going to do it, I'm confused as to why the entire thing--two really dense paragraphs--has to be on-screen all at once. You have it on-screen for nearly a full minute, and that feels like a really long time. If I have the video up on my side monitor I'll be looking to read the quote and then have to go fumble with skipping forward, but if I don't have it up I'm going to listen to a very long citation that, to me, is interesting but is also really long-winded and interruptive.

I would suggest editing your quotes down somewhat to hone in on the point you're trying to make and presenting them more in-line with your own work, rather than dropping them in as these big interruptions.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 9, 2019

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

i hear he has a monster dong.

I saw that before the edit and I said "oof" out loud.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, I tried to play Doom with a controller, after beating the game on Ultraviolence with a mouse and keyboard, during Extra Life. I looked a lot like that video does.

That game is amazing, but not with a controller.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Do not even ask posted:

if it wernt for gamers, klei's employees would be working in some lovely office tech job instead of working on some indie game that will be "deep" and making lecture circuits. assholes like them forget who actually buys their stuff.

It really was about ethics in games journalism and your knuckles definitely don't drag when you walk.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's not necessarily bad, just don't expect to see pages of talk about Shaun.
Then why loving bother, tbh?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Hey... Sonic Mania was pretty good

Played it during Extra Life. It's really not. It's very faithful to the originals but the originals were bad too? Like they're games that tell you "gotta go fast" and then put enemies in places where you won't be spinning or just random roadblocks that reduce your speed to zero.

Bad game. Pretty though.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Spark That Bled posted:

Nothing is sacred anymore.

Look my dude when I am told “gotta go fast” the principal of promissory estoppel implies that I will in fact be allowed to go fast

I also have some opinions about chili dogs if you would subscribe to my newsletter

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vulin posted:

: It's clear that Blitzchung got suspended by Blizzard to appease China and make sure that Blizzard keeps access to that market. But this is not just motivated by the "greed" of some high-up executives, it's practically forced legally by the fiduciary duty that those executives have towards their company's shareholders.

This isn't true btw.

Fiduciary duty does not mean "make the most money, right now and in the shortest possible time frame." Its meaning goes a lot deeper and plugs into a lot of other (mostly ignored) thinking around corporate governance.

Anyone telling you that a third party did something for "fiduciary duty" purposes, and that third party isn't a goddamn accountant or money manager, is projecting something questionable.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vulin posted:

Really happy to see that Shaun wasted the last three months of his life to make a (3 hour) video that nobody is going to watch (because it is 3 hours long).

I'll watch it. Love that rad skull.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Alaois posted:

it was actually invented by leftists to describe poo poo like woke marketing but okay

Wasn’t “political correctness” also a term invented by the left?

It’s interesting seeing how good the right is at weaponizing anodyne stuff like that and so bad at things like...humor.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fallout 76 is literally Fallout 4's code with multiplayer stapled onto it.

That's cute. You think their budget included staples.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

It genuinely makes me happy every time I see that doofy loving thing take up half my phone.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Doctor Reynolds posted:

bo burnham is the only good comedian, and he retired

Ron Funches deserves your respect

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorry. we live in a world where they can make loving BJ Blaskowitz a pretty woke and deep/non toxic character and marvel can't create a interesting good character who is NB.

Killing Hitler does give you a strong platform to start from, though. Weren’t the last New Warriors the ones who touched off Civil War?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The full-auto Mod is also just completely worthless, because you can only hold about 20 rounds and they burn through on the first enemy you shoot at.

My dude. Full Auto with the mastery is an unending hose of buckshot. It takes a little planning to make sure you’ve got an extra shot for an ambient demon here and there but I’m about three-quarters of the way through the game and for the last two levels I have just been running around cackling and erasing everything smaller than a Hell Knight without letting go of mouse1.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

what I've seen of the story is dumb in not a great way like 2016's was.
It's not as good a story as the first one but it has a sweeping, grand sort of dumb to it that I can get into. That you're not Doomguy and you're just sorta the devil (ha) on his shoulder is a different way to do it, and I like 2016's "no, you are the Doomguy" approach more, but Eternal's story isn't bad.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can we have a post apoc story or game where humanity doesn't immediately default to a raider mentality upon the collapse of civilization?

The Postman--the book, not the movie--comes to mind. There are some yikes-y bits, IIRC (it's been a while since I read it) but it's fundamentally a story of people trying to live quietly, and a quite explicitly smaller and despired movement of Bubba/prepper shitstains who threaten it.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 1, 2020

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

John Murdoch posted:

At this point there's enough variety of types of streams that it always comes off as weird to me when people write the entire concept off because they tried watching a couple and didn't like them.

I will say larger, popular channels are the worst when they indulge in the full parasocial bullshit of allowing every single follow, subscription, gift subscription, bit donation, whatever the gently caress to totally overtake the actual content of the stream. That poo poo is truly the worst.

Yeah, all of this.

I am an Incredibly Small Time Internet Person--I run fighting game tournaments and we only just cracked 100 average viewers for our main game. We have no alerts. Donations (to the event pot; neither I nor my volunteer team take a dime out of it) show up in a little scrolling bar at the bottom, and that's it. We don't go crazy for hosts or raids or subscriptions, and I kinda discourage subscriptions because I have a real job and just throw subscription revenue into the next event pot.

We call them shows rather than streams and we try to treat them as such, and our viewers seen pretty happy with our shows being a bit of a respite from a lot of the other Twitch craziness. But, at the same time, I can do that because our events are effectively a community donation; between Tekken and Street Fighter I spend $120 a week on running events to keep my community engaged during COVID, and that's totally fine. I have to feel for folks whose actual living is tied to serving dopamine hits to stream monster viewers.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Annointed posted:

And now other people on twitter state that boogie didn't shoot at the stalker, just fired a warning shot into the air.

The crotchety old man who taught me how to shoot a gun liked to say "there is no such thing as a warning shot".

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

a.lo posted:

Are there any good speed runners?

Punchy is cool. Funny dude, aggressively not a Nazi, also a goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I've heard Mage Knight was a really good sport about it, surprisingly.

In hindsight his production was pretty drat good for the time outside of his goofy fanfiction approach.

Wow, I never saw this one. I used to run one of the bigger Fire Emblem community sites (note: I did not mod myself into the game to declare my undying love for a character) and MK404 was and I think still is a pretty significant pillar of the community--back in like 2007 he was a forum mod for us. He was a good dude when I hung out on that part of the internet and I'm not surprised he was cool about it.

Given that the FE community has its share of sex pests running around now too, getting a ton of eyeballs because they're so hilarious lolllll...blech.