Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is only vaguely on-topic, but long-lived piece of poo poo Sargon lost his patreon last night, after months of streams where he smilingly absorbed insults from his fans over his wife’s miscarriage and insisted he wasn’t mad, and was actually laughing. It all probably looks like time well spent now.

Did "the movement" turn on him like they did Mundane Matt for some reason or other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sage kicks off Gundamcember by looking at 08th MS Team. For the most part I agree with him, but seriously, Sage? 0083 is your favourite entry? drat right you better explain that one to me.

I've watched the guy for years and never quite drawn a bead on Sage's tastes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I expect sometime in the near future it's just going to be Pewds singing 'Springtime for Hitler.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember Boogie coming to my attention for Francis, which was already borderline-offensive shtick, and then watching one of his 'regular' videos and finding that well being already run dry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SimonChris posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais has uploaded a surprisingly positive review of Fallout 76. It kinda makes me want to try it out. I like exploring huge empty worlds and hoarding crap.

The last line is a hoot!

It's interesting that I'm seeing more and more reviews like this, starting with Many a True Nerd on down. Lots of people do seem to find Fallout 76 entertaining and even fun from a very precisely managed set of expectations, some of which they had to adjust while actually playing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

While he is clearly the bad guy and I've only ever watched Avatar with the RiffTrax, the colonel still does the coolest thing in the entire flick for me by strapping into his power armor rig thing and bailing out of an exploding plane. His actor and the Evil Corporate Guy seemed to be the only ones who knew what kind of movie they were making.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A google search tells me you do apparently because people did time stamps.

And Cameron was on record as tiddy being necessary to the Na'vi's design. It's why everybody laughed at him when he was complaining about Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

dudeness posted:

Terra Nova was amazing, at some point Stephen Lang's character is like, paraphrasing here "How would someone kill another person with a dinosaur?????"

As epic a sci-fi question as what God needs with a starship.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macaulay Caulkin continues to make the rounds with the Internet People.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

James is good and Caulkin has been good on RLM lately, this is v. good.

I didn't know how much I needed he and Jack from RLM talking about 'Hackers.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah he was the most blatant avgn ripoff and was notorious for how bad his videos were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZt-tal5JKM

The next video YouTube wants me to watch after this one is something called Down The Rabbit Hole with Darksyde Phil. Ew. (There's also a Down The Rabbit Hole with Spoony.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw, that's sad. Poor Woolie looked miserable (understandably).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah I don't really get that. I mean, I think that several TIHYDP's are hilarious and it's fun to watch Phil's abject saltiness or how much he just doesn't get the simplest things. He's a great figure of fun...but I don't get taking it so bloody seriously and stalking all around his personal life going beyond even the crap he puts out there. Like, he isn't Satan, he's just an obnoxious dickhead.

While I know of Phil because at this stage it's hard to not know of him, mostly what I take away from his DTRB is he's just kind of this dumb, sad person who deep down knows he's only barely marketable and while at the same time keeps falling backwards into people who will inexplicably pay for what he's selling still manages to screw it up on account of being Phil.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kim Justice posted:

I get where people like sexpig are coming from here, although in the case of Boogie I'm not sure if there's any more ground to cover - really we're just covering the rounds of the Boogie cycle at this point, we know exactly why he's like this and it's always going to be the same beats. poo poo takes on Twitter is what he will forever do because he's constantly in a pattern of causing a shitstorm followed by trying to get a left-wing pop (/poo poo tweets from the right) followed by self-pity. Is there anywhere else to go?

Boogie sounds like trying to follow ComicsGate,* where it's also been business as usual (admittedly racist, misogynistic, homophobic business) for a while now. Like maybe if we see how any of their lawsuits sake out, that'd be worth mentioning but other than that, eh. Otherwise it's just been (admittedly racist, misogynistic, any number of '-phobic') business for a while now. It's like the Darksyde Phil comparison earlier - it is no longer a shock when Phil gets in a fix and begs for money while making no lifestyle changes.

*Who are certainly more interested in being Internet Personalities than, say, making comics.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

hey now they've made comics!

Oh...you wanted GOOD comics? Nevermind.

Please sample my arroz con leche.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

is mr pudding still doing the thing where he calls everyone else a bunch of race obsessed sjws but he still literally markets himself as 'the leading hispanic sci-fi writer' or whatever?

It's been fun watching Ian Cheong stumble in like CG's drunk uncle and do his thing, because he is suddenly very passionate about comics apparently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara's normally pretty chill during his intros, for him to get this worked up (even in character) takes a lot :stare:

That is the most out of his entire mind I've ever seen Lewis be about anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Radar posted:

It seems like he's still going to do Star Wars stuff, he's just venting his frustration from his self-imposed policy of reviewing/moderating every single comment posted on his videos running into a particularly contentious and unproductive topic of discussion:

Linkara: Secret Masochist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AVGN did another thing with Macaulay Caulkin, this time reviewing Big Trouble in Little China. Or more precisely shooting the breeze about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

He's fun, I don't mind his comeback.

Me either. Although I was amused at one of Rolfe's buddies going 'I thought you'd want to talk about Home Alone or something.' And Mac responded as you would expect, "No, I'm good. I lived it."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chomposaur posted:

The worst thing about AVGN's popularity is the angry youtuber trend of comparing playing games to eating literal poo poo in graphic detail. :barf:

I sure don't miss the 'Irritated/Raging/Pissed-Off/etc Critic of things' trend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I stopped watching Yahtzee when I realized I couldn't tell if he actually liked a game anymore.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeafNote posted:

He did at least admit that he took a better liking to MGR and the music after he watched some LPs of it.
Which goes to show that his 'one week impression' analysis doesnt help for every game.

I don't think he even takes a week. Normally he talks about trying to knock the game out over a weekend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Goblin Slayer was originally started on a 2ch thread, which explains everything you ever need to know about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've been catching up on hbomberguy's backlog as I'm relatively new and just got to his SLA on Ctrl+Alt+Del.

:discourse:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leal posted:

Here is a snake. It is also an Asian woman and I always had that planned.

I still like Jenny Nicholson imagining Rowling at the diner jotting down two things on a napkin - 'boy wizard' and 'Asian woman is a snake.'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

They also straight up just copy some good Trek concepts but condensed and made lighter in tone, like when they have to go undercover in an enemy ship and the tone takes a HARD left turn from 'whoopie doo dee silly undercover hi-jinks' to 'uh is it ethical to blow a ship full of randos up during a spy mission to save a colony from their super weapon' and actually doesn't suck at handling the shift.

They also did 'For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky.' I mean, they weren't even terribly subtle about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL_2T70YkWk

Brian Zane did a review of Hulk Hogan's shortlived series on CMT Celebrity Championship Wrestling.

I've enjoyed a lot of Zane's videos, my favorite being on being the baffling kids' wrestling promotion the NWF.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fmv Shatner in the most 90s clothes possible has me sold. I’m trying to find a copy right now.

We probably couldn't get Mike and Conor to play it, could we?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mike's done let's plays in the past. If they have a patreon, I'm joining up just to see if it's possible.

They do indeed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karloff posted:

The annoying thing about this is that a lot of the criticisms of her take shots at her competence when she's possibly one of the most accomplished and experienced producers working today, who has worked on a significant chunk of Spielberg's directorial back catalogue as well as other massive and popular films like Gremlins and Back To The Future. The narrative a lot of the internet nobhead crew like to push, is that she's just some woman they found to inject SJW politics into their space films, when in reality she's an incredibly savvy professional who understands that making Star Wars the exclusive domain of insecure white boys is probably not the best idea to to expand it as a dominant pop-cultural force. Also, controversial aside: The Last Jedi is really good, and one of Kennedy's best decisions was to let Rian Johnson get a bit weird with it, rather than forcing him to play within very strict parameters. George Lucas only comments on it, as far as I know, were that it was beautifully made.

One of the ComicsGate chuds - their token 'professional' Ethan Van Sciver - would stream and Tweet for ages that he had 'insider knowledge' Kennedy was going to be fired for TLJ. Sadly when her contract was renewed it is unknown what he thought as he didn't deign to mention it, just went back to hanging out with sexual predators and tearing apart Rose Tico action figures on livestreams like you do.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 8, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, professional******. For context, Van Sciver was fired by both Marvel and DC Comics and subsequently blacklisted industry-wide for being an insane racist, misogynist nutter who kept sketchbooks full of Adolf Hitler fan art on his desk in full public view for anyone to see while working at DC. He was also Super Mad that the new Muppet Babies added a new female character to it and thus polluted the original integrity and authorial intent of the classic series Muppet Babies—a show that existed largely to allow Jim Henson air clips of Star Wars movies on television by abusing his friendship with George Lucas, AND itself already featured a female character added specifically to be another female character in the cast back in the 1980s.

Ethan Van Sciver is an amazingly dumb rear end in a top hat.

In a way, what he's doing is fascinating. His stupid comic about a cybernetic frog has should have come out in November and that's all he has had to work on (if one does not count uploading countless YouTube videos including the aforementioned destroying expensive Rose Tico figures) but it's become apparent that EVS is running the Infowars model with ComicsGate. Keep the chuds mad or they stop giving you money. Not that this is particularly news to anybody. If they just worked on and put out their comic nobody would care.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Hmmm, I wonder which sentiment is stronger here - racism or sexism.

With ComicsGate?

little_girl_why_not_both.gif

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

And probably something incoherent about Cal Arts and tumblr too for good measure.

Can somebody Reader's Digest me on Cal Arts? All I know is if somebody is super salty about it, it generally means I don't need to listen to them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I remember weird animation frames and glitches in the old cartoons. Audio/video mismatch, characters remaining in frame when perspective changes, etc. It wasn't... great...

On the biggest Transformers wiki for each episode listing there's usually a small list of animation errors - characters with the wrong voices, colored wrong, weird frames missing, you name it - and usually a lot more. There's really only one episode in the entire run considered to have 'good' animation (because they went with a different animation studio) and even then the story is goofy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Every fan of Transformers, even in passing, should read their entry on Wheelie at least once. Done entirely in rhyme.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's just the TRUKK NOT MUNKY people who hated Beast Wars, isn't it? I believe that was commonplace in the 90s but it's not really a thing any more.

Indeed, my impression as someone who isn't a Transformers fan is that most Transformers fans seem to be fairly easygoing about new takes on the property these days. Obviously lots of people don't like the Michael Bay movies but I don't think it tends to be a case of "Not MY Transformers!" so much as "I think these are bad movies in any event."

There were these two dudes who tried to monetize 'Trukk Not Munky' (also an entry on the TF wiki, as is RUINED FOREVER) and had a whole panel they took around to GenCon, DragonCon, etc' about 'Why Beast Wars Objectively Sucks.' And then you'd find certain bizarre hardcore fans, like this one girl who legally changed her name to her fanon OC Transformer and had a crush on Soundwave running down Beast Wars to David Kaye's face (Megatron on Beast Wars, who was more bemused than anything else from all accounts). That said, it's honestly not even a drop in the bucket compared to Star Wars fans or any other big fandom I can think of. We mostly just like our robots that turn into stuff.

GI Joe is much worse about anything new, as you might expect a Certain Crowd to be attracted to the comic that glorifies war and soldiers and such. ComicsGate assumed that Larry Hama, who mostly created the 80's version and wrote the original ongoing and still writes stuff for it today would be on their side, because their target demo is a Japanese-American whose grandparents were in internment camps.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

But I didn't want to just leave that there aren't "reactionary transformers fans". In the Transformers thread people have had to leave facebook groups for toy trade because of stupid poo poo from the other fans and stay here.

Oh, I don't think anybody would say there aren't, it's just not as bad. Like you have the G.I. Joe fans who had an actual boycott campaign to get Aubrey Sitterson fired off his GI Joe book. And indeed the book was cancelled, although whether you think that's because IDW caved or that the book's sales were just low (which was already true) depends on the side of the divide you fall on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Baka-nin posted:

I only watched a few episodes of GI Joe, or should I say Action Force (Full Force!) as it was known over here. I remember one of the tapes my cousin had involved the Joe's teaming up with the Soviet Union, it was also surprisingly educational, seven year old me learnt that Dracula was a real bloke called Vlad Tepes, and what DNA was and what it stood for Deoxyribonucleic acid. If I remember correctly that was from the same episode Cobra were robbing the graves of despots around the world to clone a god emperor.

I'm also certain it introduced me to the phrase "fiscal year".

Other Cobra plots included: A telethon, planting subliminal messages in a heavy metal group's music, putting antimatter missiles on the top of a fast food franchise, cloning dinosaurs and trying to take control of Alaska by finding the State Seal of Alaska that holding apparently grants you total ownership of the state.* Also features the Soviet version of G.I. Joe (sorta) the Oktober Guard.

*Sarah Palin joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes and no. The show you're thinking of is ReBoot: The Guardian Code, which if you want to know that sad story behind it check out this video that Woolie of the former Super Best Friends did on the subject.

That was fascinating. I could not find it in myself at the utterly absurd things ABC decided to be outraged about in Reboot. This is the channel that hired a company to evaluate The Real Ghostbusters and decided that A) Venkman was too mean to Slimer and they should be friends, B) we needed more Slimer and most galling was C) Janine needed to be 'more maternal' looking because this cool lady secretary was too scary to kids. Especially, no lie, the pointy frames on her glasses. I know as a child it was not the Boogey Man or Samhain or the fact a dude played a flute to start the apocalypse because he'd been dumped that scared me, oh no. It was the slight abrasion the Janine might give me if she poked me with her spectacles.