Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Where did Enemy at the Gates get its '2 man, 1 gun' nonsense from? That film, and the subesequent Call of Duty knock off seem like the entry point for most of the ahistorical eastern front attitudes in the 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It feels like a bizarre product of modern society that not do people exist who have 11 hours straigh of free time to watch some real low effort content, like not original content but movie review reviews, but they exist in enough numbers to make a career out of catering to them

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its straight up disrespectful to peoples time

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah. I think social media has basically been a net negative for the younger generation. I'm just glad that poo poo was basically non existent when I was growing up, aside from like...Myspace or Xanga which I wasn't allowed to use due to some drama over it at my middle school. :v:

Like, it's a good thing that we've seen like young disenfranchised people able to form bonds and communities that would be impossible IRL due to their living situation but it's also melted their brains irreversibly.

I'm pretty certain that in the future people will look back at our current social media enviroment in the same way we look back at radium watch faces and leaded petrol.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
what if I've seen it and feel indiffrent about the whole thing?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

borderlands is one of those franchises for which the appeal has always been just so goddamn lost on me, i think gears of war is the only series whose appeal i understand less

Just watch a couple of people chainsawing locust in half and gibbing people with the shotgun, that's about 90% of the appeal.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Alaois posted:

i'm gonna link it again because its one of my favorite "video game analysis" videos on youtube so here's Face Full of Eyes' Aesthetics of Far Cry 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx4eSkMBx-U

This is a good video and it still weirds me out that far cry 2 got made when it did. It was a real one of a kind and I don't think a games been made like it since.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 1, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Its worth pointing out that the few scenes of introspection in every COD are sprinkled between hours of enthusiastic warmaking. Pretty much every peice of media about war will have some measure of time dedicated to it being a bit poo poo, but it tends to be drowned out in the rest of the excitement. The AC-130 mission is a pefect example of that; it may be a chillingly accurate depiction of the asymetrical nature of modern warfare, but tons of people playing the game are going to enjoy it completley unexamined.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think a big part of COD's failure to be anti-war is inherent to it's gameplay; the shooting part will always be the most satisfying and interesting part of the experience. You might die in a cutscene, but the gameplay leading up to that point was probably as bombastic as any other shoot out in the game. You will never successfully communicate an anti-war message when an approximation of warfare is what people are coming for.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The issue is none of this narrative matters when the gameplay spends the majority of its time depicting war in a power-fantasy.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Starship troopers has the benefit of being based on an entirely fantastical conflict and aiming for a camp tone, while most MW's aim to present themselves as depicting grounded scenarios with a serious tone.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Joseph Anderson finally finished part one of his magnum opus on the witcher, could someone in here watch all 4 hours of it and say if its worthwhile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Microcline posted:

Like a lot of things Mr. BTongue said it better eight years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZM2jXyvGOc

I know he still writes, but is there any reason why Mr. BTongue gave up doing videos? I feel like he was quite good at it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I will not stand for this slander of the beaker people.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

give me a russian revolution AC game you loving cowards

You are really tempting the monkey's paw with this after the complete mess they made of the French Revolution in Unity.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'd of been more okay with them making a mess of the history if they'd written a convincing love story, but they decided to focus it on two nobles who didn't seem much interested in revolutionary politics or the ideologies that drove the Templar/Assassin conflict (Not that Ubisoft has for a while either). So what you ended up with was an unconvincing romance that could of been set during ny period of history along with French Revolution set dressing that was just writing panegryics about Mirabeau and the Girondists.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Bug Squash posted:

I know we've all dog piled this post for being stupid about hbomberguy, but take a moment to consider the very idea that someone who wanted to get rich would target unemployed Marxist millennials.

Even a middling rightwing "personality" has more viewers than the biggest breadtuber, and that's before you even consider taking the big bucks from Prager or other assholes.

I was just about to point out that if you wanted to sell out making leftwing videos on YouTube in 2015 would probably be the dumbest option.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Daim bars are pretty great

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Cards against humanity is board games entering its 90s phase 20 years late, hence people being blown away when the card said 'gently caress'

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

From what I recall from another Scandigoon Notch was friendless in Sweden too and after he became rich became paranoid that people only wanted him for the money which made him bitter and isolated. It's pretty pitiful in that regard.

I'd bet that paranoia applies to most billonaires, and a lot of millonaires too. It's probably part of the reason why most mega-rich people are psychos.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
300 is like someone read Edward Said's 'Orientalism' and tried to make an ur-example of the attitude

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

BigRed0427 posted:

Watchmen is something I always wanted to go back and reread. I king of took away a slightly more hopeful tone. Like, Ozymandias' speech about how much people suck in the end is overlayed with a crowd trying to stop a women from killing her girlfriend. Like...Even though bad poo poo keeps happening in the eyes of people who have to look at the worst of humanity everyday , people are generally good overall and deserve more faith. Something along those lines.

Watchmen is definitely worth a re-read. It knows that Ozymandius is a shithead, and having a millionaire WASP rant about how he needs to kill people for the greater good being inter-cut with scenes of said people living thier lives makes a pretty powerful point.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
anyone saying that they'd love to support the protest but there's too much property damage/rude words/traffic disruption going on is full of poo poo, and they will always find an excuse until the protests become non disruptive enough to fade into the background of everyday life at which point they will just ignore them

focusing on some oppotunistic looters an unknown number of who may be cops is a waste of time in the face of a racist instituition that is currently flexing its muscles by attacking people in the streets to fight against being held accountable to any part of society

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 3, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
At this point you could be referring to about 10 separate occasions, at a minimum, of the pigs going after peaceful protesters as hard as they can.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Has there ever been a bigger self own than spending a tenner to because your mad at someone online?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The whole 'haha what a crazy world, stay safe' angle from a known white supremacist is loving insulting, like it isn't obvious what he actually thinks about the protests

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah, that list is loving embarrising, but i reckon he's sticking with it because this is the most attention he's got in years

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Do the bug eating plans involve selectivley breeding insects? Are we going to get massive farm insects?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I guess, but expecting markets to promote the most 'sucessful' piece of art perfectally is a notion I'm highly sceptical of.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
As someone who could probably rate as a zoomer, I do occasionally feel resenment at how much of mainstream culture is remakes of stuff (star trek/wars, ghostbusters, ect.) trying to bank off the nostalgia of people who haven't liked anything new in said series since the turn of the millenium, like we're stuck absorbing the childhood culture of people who aren't even enjoying the repeats. Its not really a coherent complaint, and blaming millenials as a generation instead of the execs who make the decsions is unfair, but it is there.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

DoctorWhat posted:

Jacob Geller is the best in the business right now, especially considering the frequency and consistency of his output.

The rate at which he can be compelling macabre about stuff is quite impressive

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Sydin posted:

Yeah combat isn't inherently bad or anything, the problem is when you have a game that is otherwise about something completely different but feels like it has to put combat in to make people buy it. Again LA Noir is a perfect example of this: it's a police procedural that takes you out of that core experience every hour or so to a pocket dimension where you can mow down dozens of gangsters with no repercussions before going back to the real world where one death carries a huge amount of narrative weight.

Funnily enough Red Dead Redemtion 2 also suffered heavily from this, as the need for combat both hosed around with the tone and pacing of the game.

A lot of people point out that the combat mechanics are kinda patchy, and their right, but improving them wouldn't solve the fact that every other mission turning into a slaughter kinda undermines what the stories going for.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 22, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

new challenge for all these people, make an RTS that does the whole 'bet you never considered violence in games before hmmmm' thing within its gameplay frameworks

I think Company of Heroes 2 did that in its campaign by uncritically regurgitating Nazi historiography about the Eastern Front and ordering you to torch peasant villages with the peasants still inside.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

watho posted:

as a kid i went extremely out of my way not to kill random pedestrians in gta games. i have this distinct memory of reluctantly stealing someone’s car and having them fall on the ground beside it and have a tram come with perfect comedic timing and run them over. i was horrified.

this doesn’t really have much to do with anything but it’s funny i think :shobon:

I always used to feel bad about killing all those Italian guards in AC2 as a kid. I remember beating up some guard on a rooftop to avoid killing him, only for him to slide off the edge of the building and feeling kinda bad.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Complaining that video games have too many cutscenes is about as interesting a take as complaining that video games rely on violence as their primary mode of interaction.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It is interesting to see all those tips laid out in full, especially when they're probably the 2nd most referenced thing when people talk about Spec Ops. There's definitely an intentional blurring of lines between who's being addressed and whose talking; while some read as Walkers internal monolog, some of those tips are definitely straight up addressing the player.

Honestly, seeing them all together reads like the game is not haranguing the player for enjoying the game itself, but instead setting its sights a lot higher and going after people's uncritical enjoyment of an entire genre of games that are often supportive and sometimes directly cooperating the American military, an institution that kills people outside of itself while damaging the people who are part of it.

Whether its fair to address someone's media consumption as a moral matter is up to debate, but the message seems less 'the right thing to do is turn this game off', and more about sending up the military shooters that the game takes its cues from.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Kim Justice posted:

Yeah nah, I enjoy one thing about Titanic and that's the fella spinning like a propeller.

I can still hear the 'BONG' sound in my head as he bounces straight off the propeller.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Ugliness in video games is interesting in part I guess because the expectations of length placed upon the medium kind of make it hard to really commit to a more uncomfortable style. Dog Days might of had the right idea in being only about 4 hours long, but that's the kind of length that falls short from what most people expect from a game. On the other hand, anything longer, and the initial shock risks wearing off, leading to a sort of desensitisation produced by the repetitive nature of a gameplay loop.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Dapper_Swindler posted:

get offended on the behalf of japan over Ghost of Tsushima even though most Japanese critics loved it.

Thats kinda inaccurate, it was more Austin relating the games western perspective on samurai tropes to his own interest in japan, and how that knowledge he got from that means that he can have a dumb laugh at the game having katanas and haiku in it before either were invented. It was hardly some rant about how the game should be cancelled.

Tons of stupid sounding poo poo on the Internet orginates from fairly mild stuff being put through a game of telephone.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Jimbot posted:

There are also folks in a race to see who can drop the most reactionary take imaginable on a subject matter or piece of art.

Part of this is driven by how the structure of the Internet funds hot takes; you need to have an opinion fast because no one will click on an article written about a game a week after release, and it being slightly controversial will drive views. Unless you solve these institutional problems this will never end.

Roth posted:

What is a problem is that people will use whatever to cancel people with like 100 followers because they like the wrong ship. I've seen people be driven to committing suicide because somebody felt their writing was too problematic, and went on a rampage calling for them to be deplatformed.

When defined like this cancel culture doesn't sound much distinct at all from the kind of harrassment that's been endemic to the Internet for years. At that point its probably worth realising that the poor behaviour is driven by the way the Internet is structured, and probably won't be solved by scolding individuals, because more people acting the same way will just take their place.