Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hello thread!

I have a question that I hope is not one that has been asked a lot so apologies if this is the case.

I love Movies with Mikey/Filmjoy for the specific reason that he is so positive about it and the way he delves into them fascinates me. Sadly I have exhausted his content.

I also quite like CinemaWins for similar reasons but mostly prefer the bit at the end when he has stopped tallying during the film - because that is the more explatory part.

I adore that kind of stuff and I would like to know if there are any other reviewers who are similar in their positivity discussing movies? It is the atmosphere I like the most and I am quite tired of all the sarcastic/angry reviewers that seem to be around.

Even video games/books/TV if they have that kind of analysis I am absolutely down for that.

Thank you kindly everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I Before E posted:

HBomberguy's recent video on Lovecraft, while broadly about Lovecraft, partially focuses specifically on a film called Cthulhu and how his opinion on it gained new dimensions in the years after he saw it, and even in his more negative videos (Fallout 3 and Sherlock) there's an underlying passion and desire to understand that often isn't there in the more "this movie needs to be punished for misbehaving, and I am Judge Judy and executioner" types of reviewer.

Oh I should have said I am a huge Hbombs fan :D I love his stuff too and the Lovecraft one was massively touching. (Lady VG and I get excited when a new one pops up and we promise to watch it together! 15 thousand dollars!!!)

I think the word I was looking for was joy. Joy at talking about these things. Things with joy.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Please tell me you understand the idiom is ‘judge, jury, and executioner,’ and that you were making a joke.

(It is a Hot Fuzz joke :D )

Also thank you both I will check them out!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you both! I have watched a few re:views so I should get back to that and I have not ever seen a Lindsay Ellis video but I definitely know who she is!

I realise my request sounded a bit strange. I love critical thinking and analysis and absolutely pointing out strangeness and whatnot.

I still am not 100% sure I have conveyed what it was I was looking for. I think if you were to watch the tone of the World's End/Hot Fuzz/Shaun of the Dead Movies with Mikey videos he sort of celebrates the films, and celebrates what they did for him.

Hearing somebody speak passionately with a positive atmosphere is something I really dig and in turn makes me want to create things myself. I sort of wanted that and I think some of the suggestions probably do fall into that line :)