Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the loving worst. and when I went to visit my dad and he noticed I was down and I explained that a dude I'd been watching the stuff of had gone missing for two days after leaving a suicide note, his reply was literally "why do you care so much about people you've never met?"

almost every boomer is a walking bundle of brainworms and sociopathy, I swear. probably not going to visit him much anymore, christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From his undertale archive that I had just finished watching literally moments before being informed of what happened, his chat is a nightmare whirlwind of insane racists divebombing in literally nonstop. I dunno if it finally got to him or what but I don't think I could keep up a facade like his in the face of endless bigotry like that, especially if he already had mental issues, I'm guessing he had a total mental breakdown live on camera? Especially combined with this apparent social engineer who has been manipulating him for months or longer, poo poo is terrifying and brutally sad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, fascists are absolutely using pepe and the ok sign unironically now. Makes seeing twitch chat on anything a pain because there's a million pepe-styled emoticons on there and I'm sure a lot of folks use them without knowing all of that stuff, but it still sucks to see it warped like that. I like to have chat on for some slower channels that don't move a mile a minute and it's obnoxious seeing them pop up all the time especially with Matt Furie's attempts to curtail it's appropriation.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is etika the first major youtuber to commit suicide? And after a public breakdown and some questionable bullshit from social engineers possibly goading him into doing it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tosca Cake posted:

good work patting yourselves on the back and feel morally superior about not being a horrible ghoul tho

Nice little thread you got here. It'd be a shame if I derailed it with a spattering of shitposts.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My review of the internet: it was a mistake

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Arcsquad12 posted:

She's a loving clown and a selfish bitch who hosed a birdman and any suffering she feels because some cock on twitter send her a clown face is too little for what a reprehensible, awful person she is and I hope she fucks off to black hole that is Boogie's mangled toothless mouth so the two of them can finally implode on twitter and then form a giant seething hate ball of self righteous delusional cocksuckers who roll up all the twitter drama out there and then get catapulted into the loving sun. The world would be better without useless shits like Holly or Boogie or the fuckers from resetera or any of them gently caress them all. It's not even funny watching them melt down it's just seething hatred for amoral fuckers who dare think they're the wounded party.
Having a normal one, a story by arcsquad12

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ArfJason posted:

Like yeah sa is better than most places but lol if you dont think theres echo chambers and performative wokeness in this site.
Im not saying feel ashamed of being here or ha ha actually youre wrong neener neener, just lets not toot our own horns too much.
SA still has its fair share of shitheads but the forums have swung leftwards pretty radically versus what it was even ten years ago. I don't think it's some bastion of progressive thought just yet or anything, but it's certainly come a long way from the days when it would autoreplace "sir" with a homophobic slur, or when there was SERIOUS OUTRAGE over lowtax banning the usage of that or the hard r. Man, that thread, that loving thread, really put a lot of things into perspective on this site at the time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
aw man. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm82ZU_wkmc&hd=1

I really want to know if there's anything happening to find the dude who was manipulating etika after his initial breakdown. social engineers need to be purged from society, and that dude in particular sounds like a real bad one from what's out there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think we're due a show that does a realistic Isekai and how loving nightmarish that would be (Shield Hero doesn't count)
Re:Zero is the closest I can think of. Subaru has zero special powers except respawning at his last "checkpoint" and the horrifying nature of that causes him to have multiple meltdowns as well as characters just brutally breaking him down when he tries to just brute force his way through a situation(there is one respawn where he has basically a perfect day and genuinely grows closer to a lot of the characters and when it gets reset he just shuts the gently caress down). It still has some trappings of the genre but it handles it a lot better than most.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Now that I think about it I seriously can't think of a single Isekai series where the main is completely horrified that slavery is a still accepted practice in the world.

Like 75% of them (this is being generous btw) actually have the lead buy a slave who immediately falls for him because he's not a loving rapist.
There are multiple ones where the lead murders slavers basically immediately. One, Sword Dad, has it as his first interaction with a sentient being, where a slaver tries to argue that he owns the children he has, and the response is the contract and slaver being chopped in half immediately. Later, They encounter a guy whose job it is to hunt down and enslaved a particular race, and they are especially merciless with him. There's a lot of dreck that handles it poorly but there's a good amount that either doesn't have it at all or treats it as the abomination it is.

OldTennisCourt posted:

if SA was an anime it would very obviously be Watamote
Watamote is legitimately one of the best character focused series I can think of. Kuroko evolves very significantly as a person over the course of the manga and past the anime has become a genuinely good person, though she still is absolutely partially her old lovely self on the inside and occasionally lets it out. Her interactions with her friends have gone from trainwrecks to fender benders and it's now one of my favorite series to see an update for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It makes sense, that's why it's so realistic a lot of the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isn't the entire point of 3.33 that shinji going all burning hotbloodedness Gurren Lagann to save rei regardless of everything else was literally the worst possible thing he could have done and everyone hates him for being a gigantic fuckup because of it

It's been a while since I saw it and it was the first release so I'm probably misremembering things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ArfJason posted:

Yeah ive always felt the series sorta contrives ways to make shinji miserable. Oh you find unconditional love from someone else? You must murder him. You dont do anything and give in to your depression? The literal end of the world happens. You want to try and take initiative to save a person you truly care about? A smaller end of the world happens and everyone resents you for it i know a lot of it is anno calling out fans for being awful dumbfucks but still
life is pain

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man, the Waypoints evangelion blind watch podcast is amazing. They appear to be doing 6-7 episodes per podcast with austin walker and cado being very familiar with the series while Rob, Danielle and Patrick are going in almost completely blind. They really dig deep into the social messaging of the series in a funny and educational way, for both people who are familiar and not. I'd definitely recommend watching eva along with them either to rewatch or for the first time, it'll definitely inform of some things that have been aped in a lot of series since then, anime or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Goa Tse-tung posted:

holy poo poo what
google and youtube are pro-nazi platforms, this shouldn't be a surprise.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alpharad is a Good Boy, right? He's not self-destructed or milkshake ducked publicly yet, right?

He made a video where he and two friends trained a Donkey Kong Amiibo up to max level. By the end, they couldn't beat it even 3v1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FoOZvENAA&hd=1

then they subjected the rest of the world to it, and the best word to describe it that isn't a synonym of "destroyed" is "shenanigans"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cISD0z-fXw&hd=1

:allears:

edit: alpharad might be better for a different thread, is there one for general LPers and such? more related to this thread, Thew put up a new review for backers, G1 Megatron. It's interesting to see his take on that goofy piece of poo poo as a person who never really dealt with it as a kid, because G1 megatron is a weeeeeeeird toy.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/new-review-g1-28141745

video also reminded me that there was another pre-G1 realistic handgun transformer, a Browning. Imagine if this had been Megatron instead.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 5, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dovi posted:

Alpha has an entire series where he commentates cpu tournaments and constructs wrestling style story arcs out of and it rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOlp8gqUIfM
Yeah, his CPU tourney commentary series is a lot like VGCW, a series made by a british dude named Bazza at the dawn of Twitch, that had better storylines than actual wrestling. The character creator in the old WWE games was famously incredibly elaborate for the time, allowing for some shockingly accurate(relatively) depictions of video game characters of all sorts. He would make a huge roster and let them duke it out in CPU matches and then build storylines off of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVs1AyUnrh4&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InCQDKdVssg&hd=1

In one, Phoenix Wright, a serial jobber, suddenly started beating everyone he went up against, as well as multiple matches involving lookalikes who also beat their targets...and then it was revealed that through the power of the chaos emeralds, an evil phoenix wright - Phoenix Wrong, had summoned alternate universe versions of himself to the VGCW world to take over. And then, in the climactic battle between Wright and Wrong, he revealed his true identity...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O-KIQ0fbmY&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLFBSYdFmI&hd=1

It's gloriously stupid and was a mainstay of my tuesday nights for a while. It was so drat fun because the AI was so broken that characters earned traits based on the busted moves they would try to do. Ash Ketchum was a terribly-made utter loser who had never won a single match, and then in a royal rumble he refused to die, taking out...I want to say like 17 challengers in a row? something insane like that? and because of that Bazza decided to revamp his design, and Ash evolved into...Red, who became a top tier babyface. Just tons of goofy, lovable stuff, and eventually Bazza had to move on to other things, but it was great fun while it lasted. The chat being in full hype mode and playing along added so much to it, and I'm glad most of the archives retain the chat scroll.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Max Wilco posted:

I know when you brought it up, I went and watched A TF2 Western, which in turn reminded me of Ignus Solus.

Kitty0706 really was exceptional with the machinma stuff he did. You could say his animation style wasn't as refined as someone like DasBoSchitt, but it had a real energy to it, and his use of sound effects and facial poses really were what delivered the comedic punch with the non-sequiturs. Even now, stuff like Mass Defect, Moments with Heavy, and Team Fabulous 2 still make laugh.

It's sad that he passed away, especially since he seemed like he was working towards being an animator, and it would have been nice to see what he would have made if he had gotten established in that field.
the entire reason I started saving videos and other things I really enjoy almost compulsively was due to someone like kitty/dasbo, a guy who went by the name of Sn1pe456. It's an intensely stupid video that I liked, that was a montage of recreating old video game themes entirely using sounds from the various TF2 Meet The Character videos that was a gimmick at the time. Very, unbelievably dumb, however that one in particular was my very first experience with something I liked being utterly wiped from the internet when he one day had a meltdown and wiped his entire youtube channel. It was before there was a glut of people reuploading absolutely everything and so it and everything else he made was simply gone, although even now some stuff still disappears forever. But now I just download videos I really like just in case they get taken down, the internet blows up, etc

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leal posted:

Burn everything to the ground, our species deserves it.
don't worry, we're already well on our way there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
despite being a couple generations past mine(I was OG game boy, hers was GBA), I can totally relate to this new Jaiden Animations of her reliving the random crap games her parents probably got at the clearance bin at Caldor or Bradley's or AMES's(before Walmart engulfed everything)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPy-4lY2qM&hd=1

it's how I wound up with random-rear end GB games like Kwirk or WORDZAP(both weird, both good, kwirk less so) or Dino Riki on the NES(not good) or Golgo 13(inscrutable but I couldn't stop playing)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ahaha. Alpharad, Joe, and a friend play through the entirety of Sonic Forces in about two and a half hours straight, and that's with a loooooot of dying and shenanigans. They are dunking on it or shooting the poo poo almost the entire time and despite skipping almost every cutscene, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzr7qaiImjA&hd=1

god, what a trainwreck of a game. I literally cannot believe this is a product that was made by humans, it is such a mess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's a fella I've been following for a while now, SNESDRUNK. He does a lot of "is this game worth playing nowadays" videos with a calm, relaxed voice that breaks down the good and bad parts of various old games. Sometimes does recent stuff too. Also all of his videos start off with a goofy "SSSSSSSSSSSNNNNNNNNNESDRUNK" voice clip he records for each one.

due to this video I definitely want to check out Ruff 'n' Tumble, it looks like a fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcrX7-psjI&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how much longer until boogie goes full jontron

there's clearly something percolatin' just under the surface there

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gigguk made a great video about why you should watch Attack on Titan and catch up because it's really, really good, and the next season is going to be the final season and include everything up to the finale of the manga. Video has spoilers sprinkled throughout it for the first 3 seasons of AoT(does not explicitly spoil season 3.5 which just concluded outside of vague mentions), but only a couple really significant ones outright out of the dozens of major things that happen throughout the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP1I78uRiDI&hd=1

It's a shame the anime had to take a 4 year break and thus grind the unbelievably strong hype train for the series to a near-total halt, but I'm glad word of mouth is really doing a great job of getting people back on board especially now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 17, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pirate Jenny posted:

All in all VidCon was pretty dope.
it always surprises me that morons like boogie last this long without getting decked.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr Phillby posted:

I started watching the Yogscast for their ongiing minecraft stuff, which was fun because it felt like two clueless dudes stumbling into an elaborate unexpected D&D campaign, before it became increasingly obviously scripted. Its pretty painful to watch these days, especially with Simon's ""funny accents"".
that stuff was real fun early on when it just seemed kinda like they were actually on a multiplayer server and someone was loving with them, but then it just went way too hard into creating some fantastical lore and poo poo for it and I dropped off after a few dozen episodes. The fuckin' around in really early minecraft was good fun with just simon and lewis though. Didn't really follow them after they added like a dozen new members to their group but it doesn't seem like things have really gone well for them as of late.

Groovelord Neato posted:

remember when their kickstarted game was a massive hilarious failure.
yeah, that was an INCREDIBLE trainwreck. one of the first titanic fuckups from kickstarter, wasn't it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr E posted:

I really liked Simon and Lewis doing their Minecraft thing years ago but never really watched anything else on the channel. This is all hosed, it's hard not to become numb to the sheer amount of abusers that have a huge following.
The increasingly common disturbing occurrence to me is the number of people who don't have any record of being abusers UNTIL they have huge followings and then have fans who are like "heck yeah I'd like to talk/hang out/whatever with this youtuber I like!" and then the creepy poo poo starts. like what vic mignogna's being blasted for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, drat. Didn't know that. Mannnnnnnn, just...stop being creepy, people. Please stop!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

not that i know of and that content is a lot different than what people talk about in this thread so they prolly would not fit here. someone should make a thread for them i guess?
would a general LPer/streamer thread be appropriate or would folks like Alpharad, PJDiCesare, WoolieVS etc go here too? I watch a fair amount of various youtube folks but I'm by no means an expert on them, but will make a thread if that would work better than discussing them here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
getting a phone call from a dude who hated me enough on another forum to scrape whatever info he could so he could find the "real me" was certainly a freaky loving thing in the mid-oughts. actually having a public face on the internet, I can't imagine how unsettling it must be, especially these days, ESPECIALLY for women.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and thus, the trolls win. internet bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

rudecyrus posted:

Honestly surprised no one died while filming Roar.
yeah, "multiple almost-total scalpings and neck-eviscerations by lion" and somehow nobody died anyway is pretty impressive

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only good post by BotL I can think of is when he did this insanely elaborate(like seriously 20 or 30 paragraphs with diagrams and everything) breakdown of some manga series's architectural monstrosities because they were trying to mashup three or more different eras of architecture and it was a nightmarish mess. Like on the level of betsy devos's clusterfuck mansion

if only he did more of that and less of the creepy and bad troll things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well ho-lee crap. jeff gerstmann is the master of not breaking NDAs. :v:

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1153355029408964608

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bullet Bill
Torpedo Ted

gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Do not even ask posted:

catastrophic global warming cannot happen soon enough
:yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And speaking of metal gear and eva, I highly recommend the Panning the Stream podcast episodes where they watch evangelion. It's Dan Ryckert and his wife Bianca watching eva for the first time with very little knowledge of it or anime in general beyond watching dbz, some hero aca, and some other minor series beforehand. I think I speak for many when I say I was dreading dan, the real world equivalent of Forrest Gump who tends to have some pretty bad surface level reads on a lot of things, sitting down and watching evangelion, but he put a lot of thought into it which is really great to listen to. He recently tweeted about watching end of Evangelion so I can't wait for that episode oh boy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like he probably went in with a more open mind specifically due to the amount of people being like "oh no dan won't get this!!!!" tweets he was getting, but also, metal gear is literally his favorite franchise ever so he was bound to love the technobabble bullshit in eva, BUT ALSO, he didn't think metal gear was political sooooo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mother's Basement did a nice tribute to Kyoani, the larger context of anime and what it means to people, and why Kyoani itself was important. Content warning for the first minute and a half which has footage of the ruins of the Kyoani office that was burned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhc4moxreo&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey, thank you! I was recently trying to remember the name of that movie and couldn't for the life of me recall it. It was a fun if weird one. I'll have to try to retain that name better, generic as it may be.