Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is it appropriate to post our own attempts at being internet reviewers in this thread, or should I just gently caress off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Three replies from random goons seems like enough confirmation to me!

I'm attempting to start a series where I look at video game adaptations. Here's the first video.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I first found MovieBob when I saw his videos about Apu and the Simpsons and I thought those were well done and watched a bunch of his older stuff and appreciated those too. Am I a bad person for thinking that? Was he always poo poo, or was there a shift?

I followed him on Twitter, but then quickly changed my mind when I saw what he was like on Twitter. I also don't really pay attention to any of his videos now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Heroes was one of those shows that got t-boned by the 2007 Writers Strike and just never recovered from it

The finale of Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 both existed before the strike, so you really cannot blame the strike for the show sucking. They just dropped the ball, and the strike made it even harder for them to pick it back up.

Heroes continues to make me so angry by how spectacularly it hosed up. I can't think of any other show that has ever completely poo poo its bed like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
All this talk about lovely things Heroes did, and nobody even brings up West.

I only watched the first two seasons of Heroes. I couldn't bring myself to keep going, and I honestly forgot a lot of the show so I can't really adequately describe the show's downfall. But it did the Lost thing of setting up all this mystery and promise of payoff and not delivering, and just adding on more and more dumb stuff.

I think a really good example of "They have no idea what they're doing" is the character(s) Ali Larter played. She had a split personality, and her alter-ego has superpowers. Pretty cool idea, actually. It was heavily suggested that the alter-ego was directly connected to the powers, as a tattoo would appear on her when the alter-ego took over. Think of it like The Hulk, except he's an internet stripper with Kitty Pryde as his husband and Forge as his son (who delivers ALL HIS loving LINES like he's having an asthma attack).

It gets even more interesting/confusing when it turns out the second personality may or may not be the manifestation of her dead sister. And then you spend most of the season with the two personalities fighting against each other for control. Ultimately, she overcomes the alter-ego to harness the powers without the split personality and that ties things up pretty nice.

Then in Season 2 it turns out there's another personality that shows up. But only for like one episode. And in that episode it gets her husband killed. Even though he was already shot and probably dying at the end of Season 1. So they had him live just to die in his next appearance on the show. And he died off-screen.

So then they "treat" her split personalities making the whole thing a psychiatric illness with no connection to superpowers or evil ghosts or anything that was potentially interesting and it's never an issue for the rest of the season and she dies in an explosion at the end of Season 2.

And then she comes back in Season 3. Except it's not her, but her identical loving triplet with ice powers and it turns out they were all experimented on as babies to give them powers and then split up. This also contradicts the entire loving catalyst in Season 1 where powers manifested during an eclipse but a LOT of things contradicted that because they had no loving idea what to do with this garbage show.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I will never, ever stop being very amused that Jim Sterling had a wrestling career born out of spite caused by WWE's lovely copyright claims.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

SunAndSpring posted:

To quickly explain the Blanchard poo poo and why it's bad Jenny's sister is into this stupid poo poo since I can only think of one video dealing with it and it's ContraPoints so that's a no-go here, there was a theory made by one Dr. Ray Blanchard in the 1980s positing that there are two types of trans women: one that is erotically fixated on an image of themselves as an attractive woman (called autogynephiles) and the other being gay men who wish to broaden their dating pool by acting as a woman to gently caress straight guys (called homosexual transsexuals). This theory has notable problems with its research methodology such as having no control groups of cis women for some of its theories (later research finds that cis women are quite into the idea of imagining themselves as a sexy woman), later researchers having trouble with reproducing the study's results, focusing heavily on an extremely old and white group of trans women (average age was somewhere in the 40s), disrespectful terminology, and insisting it can't be falsified and that every trans woman falls into one category or the other. Thus, most psychological groups don't use it as a diagnostic tool anymore these days. However, it has made a resurgence among anti-trans groups since it does reinforce their worldview that trans women attracted to women (the AGP group) are ugly fetishists and potential rapists, and that trans women attracted to men (the HSTS group) are merely confused homosexuals.

That's all, sorry to bore you with this poo poo, you can go back to debating communism in the thread meant for discussing if Megamind really is a subversive classic of animation or not

Last night she was drunk and visiting different places in VR Chat and kind of encouraging "trap" jokes and saying it's not a slur and she has "trans" as a banned word in her stream so I dunno how to feel about poo poo right now.

A lot of the weird poo poo she pulls on Twitch is entertaining (the other night she was playing Call of Duty while also taking a BDSM test and watching furry dance contests), but if she's really transphobic and poo poo then that sucks.

Please tell me Jenny is still pure and good and it's OK for me to love her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
As long as we're circling back to that stuff.

I didn't know Skylark was trans and that puts the behavior I mentioned in a completely different context. I'm still not sure if I agree with her perspective, but I also respect she's in a position that I can't relate to so I can't consider myself as the definitive voice on what is and isn't OK for people in a community I'm not a part of.

I'm sorry to have caused problems by bringing it up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I need Quibi now.

If Quibi's entire brand is "Let's make the most absurd programming ever, like some kind of live-action Adult Swim" then that's gotta be worth the price.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bakeneko posted:

He seems to think he's a lot funnier than he is. He has that smug tone a lot of youtube people have these days that always grates on my nerves.

Cody Johnston used to work for Cracked and was one of the many people that got laid off and Cracked has been pretty terrible ever since.

I think he produces these videos with other former members of the site as well. They dumped their entire video department so a bunch of them opened up shop for themselves on Youtube.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Instead of waiting for one episode a week for the final season of Game of Thrones, I decided to wait until the season was over to just binge it. But by doing that, I ended up getting to hear absolutely EVERYONE constantly poo poo on how bad the season was, and I just ended up never watching it.

I like to think that the White Walkers killed everyone, and the Night King resurrected Roz to become his queen. And while I do know that didn't happen, it still [i]could[/could] have happened because I haven't watched to be proven otherwise, and that's just fine with me.

It is pretty amazing how Game of Thrones went from being one of the biggest properties of all time, to something people will only think about when they do some spring cleaning and find their old House Stark T-shirt, and then say "Oh man, I haven't thought about this show in forever. God, what a disappointment"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Now the titles are less neat and the thumbnails are absolute messes, always with irritating super exaggerated reaction faces taking up most of them. I don’t hold it against them because this is what they do for a living and that clickbait poo poo must be super effective considering that EVERYONE does it, but man I hate that poo poo.

I still have yet to see any proof of these types of titles and thumbnails actually resulting in any positive change to viewership.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

What kind of proof were you hoping for?

Any, really.

I mean, YouTube offers lot of analytics for your videos, so a channel should be able to look at what effect, if any, doing their thumbnails and titles differently appears to have.

StealthArcher posted:

The thing is overall, they probably didn't in the long run. But if you didn't do it, you probably got shellacked to gently caress and back because everyone else was.

It's a sound theory, but still just a theory, and one that is easily challenged by the number of channels out there that don't follow the trend and seem to be doing just fine.

The obvious answer here is that "different things appeal to different people" which then extends to the possibility of following these trends appeals to a younger audience while the older audience drifts away. But still, analytics on demographics and stuff should show that kinda thing, right?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 still has value in showing us Chris Hemsworth’s talent in playing the platonic ideal of a himbo.

The only good things about GB16 were Hemsworth and Leslie Jones, and I would love to see what kinda chemistry they could pull off in a future movie together.