Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

gently caress how am I so high on that posting list

Asuron posted:

Caught up on all the CA drama and it's quite something.

I always thought CA's role as an aggregator was over like 4-5 years ago, so it's a bit weird that the mass exodus is only starting now. Hell I'm surprised people still visited the website. I mean what was there to even gain by being affiliated with it instead of just striking out on youtube which is what most people ended up doing anyway?

I think most people were doing both; CA was just a convenient place to get eyeballs. Probably also there's a portion of the audience that only consumed via TGWTG, and they're obviously not going to know much about the new location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Thanks for the hard work, Zedd!

Also producers should totally self-promote when they do vids or whatever because Youtube's algorithm is lovely and this is probably the best place for me to find new content to follow. AMUSE ME, INTERNET!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah I feel like we should limit the CA drama to "eat popcorn as we watch the producers leave" and "share if anyone directly involved says/does something relevant." I'm enjoying the trash fire as much as anyone, but sharing hosed up speculation is about as valid as writing creepy fanfiction.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

e X posted:

Aren't back injuries in the top three things that will absolutely happen to every wrestler? The other two being neck and knee.

He came pre-injured, so I'd say he's ahead of the game!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

My impression from the bits I've seen is he's more a managerial type, so less actual wrestling and more cheating on the sidelines.

Which is as it should be for a character like Sterdust.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

KayTee posted:

It's all building up to a match between Jim and Sterdust with Duke Amiel Du H’ardcore as Special Referee.

I don't know about refereeing, but I'd LOVE to hear Amiel doing commentary.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

While I definitely understand the urge to be happy about having potential drama, I feel like we should avoid this kind of "ooooh, there's mysterious MORE DRAMA!!!" just because it encourages speculation.

I'm happy to just sit and wait for the schadenfreude.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I saw a tweet from Brad's friend Irving that apparently Brad is scared of being sued for libel by CA or something? Can they actually do that?

I mean, anyone can sue. Just turns out if you're full of poo poo, you probably end up paying everyone's costs and maybe getting more stuff slammed on you by the judge.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Leonard French videos would be a delight.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

He covers a lot of general interest legal stuff. Channel Awesome would almost certainly be big enough that he'd at least comment on the case.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If y'all want to derail about a different sci-fantasy blockbuster, Now Playing watched Ready Player One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGirvU5990

Warren posted:

In an attempt to not hurt my soul further, do you guys have any recommendation for old Computer styled youtubers like Kim and LGR? I watched the ZX Specturm homebrew video from Kim and have gone down a wonky little rabbit hole into PAL computers and I have a desperate need to watch more things like the two of them.

I'm a big fan of the 8-bit Guy

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

I don't give money to the Disney entertainment conglomerate. gently caress Disney.

That's just why you haven't watched it legally.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

lornekates was a fine mod for this thread. Can't speak to anything outside, and I have no idea what the hell any of that meltdown was about.

Don't have any strong feelings about other mod options, other than don't make the content creators do it, they already have no free time!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

Wew lad

My suggestion for moderator is Puppy Time, if they want it. Augus is also a good shout

Definitely don't make it a creator, we procrastinate enough on here as is (and yeah...conflict of interests n' poo poo)

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I am corruptible and also haven't the mental resources to herd the cats here.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

how come even though doug is rich he kept recording his reviews on what seems to be a webcam and the movies they made had the quality of a cell phone video.

From all accounts, Doug is apparently the kind of Luddite who stubbornly refuses to try to learn anything new, even if it consists of "push this button."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Strip Panel Naked guy is some brand of Middle Eastern, but you mostly don't see him and he talks like a boring white guy so I dunno if that counts.

Man, that racism in the algorithm thing really bothers me. There's probably some awesome people I'll never see recommended because some rear end in a top hat can't stand seeing a little melanin.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still don't know how I landed as king of the poo poo pile. I thought my staying out of most derails would drop me down some but the numbers don't lie.

You contribute a lot of links and on-topic discussion. The derails stand out because they're annoying, and have been pretty bad lately, but most of everyone's posts before that were probably on-topic discussion.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

Oh hey, everyone's fave ShapeShifting 4 armed 3 eyed cat shaped being has posted the Cabin Fever Dreams of this year!

I wonder if the first few seconds of his vids are supposed to get weirdly muted due to high frequencies or my wireless headphones are just messed up.

Have his intros always been this tryhard? I usually skip them because I'm here for the content, not the stupid skits, but I ended up sitting through that one and it's infuriatingly stupid and overwrought.

ETA:
Holy poo poo all these things are unfunny bullshit. This is bad even for Nick Nocturne.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 15, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

I've only just began binging his stuff but is Nick usually this sassy? He's such a jokester in this video, although his charms work on me.

He's usually a little more dry, yeah.

I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't feel like the horrible skits from Channel Awesome Classic. It adds nothing and doesn't suit his performance style.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

I'd report them but barely anything ever gets done on Twitter because it's run by gormless libertarians.

It's worth it to report, IMO; I've been driven to report some bad actors before and it got results. Bear in mind that we're a lot less likely to hear about cases where the system works the way it should.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Several CA people have been routine targets for these guys for a while. This is not a new thing, it's just an excuse to get riled up again.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I like Anderson a lot. I think he appeals to people like him, with a compulsion towards completionism, and it's beneficial to have that kind of view represented, even if it's not common or the way certain games are "meant" to be played.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

I'm still confused about how we suddenly got onto Contra when this started with MovieBob saying another dumb thing

Some people got axes to grind.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This may be mindblowing, but people who subscribe to various ideologies can hold a variety of views and beliefs, some of which can be sensible and right, and some of which can be stupid and risible. Forbidding all mockery of these views just because the Other Side also mocks them is a really dumb idea.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm only here till we find a proper replacement mod. In the interim, I shall strive to be an improper replacement mod.

Replace lornecates with lornecates

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

fffuuuuuuck. I can't even imagine how hard that must be to deal with!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Honestly if someone did an unironic in-depth analysis into the filmmaking techniques in The Room I would probably be really into it. Like from that video I noticed a lot of the cinematography for the closeups in that scene is fine, but it's all edited around a bland-looking master shot that seems like they only staged it for a couple of key moments.

Hell, same.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Youtube hired goon squad of Dan and HBomb.

Or did you mean other kinds of goons

I bet they could take the CA boys.

Actually that'd be a pretty boss wrestling event.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This was darn good, thanks!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yaws posted:

Wasn't it Ellis that portrayed people who watched Transformer movies as these white trash dullards?

If not, I apologize in advance. I THINK it's her but I may be wrong.

She uses hypothetical characters named Joann and Cletus as a stand in for people who just want to see movies to have fun and watch explosions and not think especially deeply about the plot. Though I never got the impression that she thinks of this as a bad thing, and, IIRC, she referred to them as disserviced by the Transformers movies, though I will admit I have not watched those videos in a while.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yaws posted:

Yeah, that's naked classism. loving Cletus? Really? Did said Cletus like NASCAR and live in a trailer?

I... guess it is? As I said, she doesn't present them as anything beyond like a personification of the average moviegoer, and even then, in a pretty neutral, quick fashion. Are you really sure you're not thinking of, like, MovieBob in a wig?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

once again i feel compelled to make the case for me being made a mod of this thread so i can probate everyone dumb enough to actually respond to botl

Yeah, I'm on board for this.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

JordanKai posted:

I was absolutely aghast when she held up the second, much thicker book at the end. I did not expect the author of a 100-page throwaway story with a rushed ending to have the dedication to produce a novel of that size.

Never underestimate a fanficcer's ability to churn out way too much content once they've proven to themself they can finish a story.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

This was a little disappointing, given that it's just a retelling of the original Jeff story with a self insert, and then the Slendermansion thing, which is a bog-standard setting in creepypasta fanfic.

business hammocks posted:

I wonder if it will be in such bad taste that it includes the real-life slenderman killer kids.

Probably not; they're not an especially attractive or romantic thing. This is emo girls, they want sexy murderers that love them and rebellion against a cruel world, not some unrelated kids killing each other.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

And with all my goals accomplished, I ascent into the heavens and back to Let's Play from whence I came.

Peace out, fuckers

Thank You For Your Service

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

The question is which internet critic has the best voice?

Shaun.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

21 Muns posted:

You can tell that she's kind of young and really geeky - she even does that weird thing where she draws a cool OC version of herself and uses it in her videos as a standin for herself, which I think originated from MLPFIM fandom, yikes

That originated from every creative geek ever. If you've got the opportunity to present a persona to the world, and you're not actually very cool in real life, you're usually gonna lean on the wish fulfillment. We did that back in the early days of the internet, back when My Little Pony was "that cartoon you watched when you were a little girl but then disappeared forever."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BobbyK posted:

Gonna say that originated with Penny Arcade.

You ascribe way too much originality to the PA boys.

Sarcopenia posted:

Almost every single cartoon reviewer does this. I honestly find it distracting and I think that it often hinders them from growing in the way they talk and present things. Especially because they just reuse the same 4 stills and they are rarely more expressive than their actual face would be. Which is weird because that kind of the point of animation.
It's nice to see someone actually animate it though.

I can see some benefits to having an abstracted avatar; you get a bit of armor in terms of the parasocial relationship thing, and maybe a bit less of random comments dummies critiquing your looks. Especially if you don't feel like doing full makeup and hair for every goddamn video.

If I were inclined to do talking head videos, I'd probably use a cute pet. More people should use their pets in videos. Pets are great.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Meanwhile, Lindsay is salty on twitter about an AV Club video essay saying video essays are bad:

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis...920600058998784

(Definitely worth a clickthrough to read her whole thread.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't think you're wrong in every case, but I think for most people, "this is good/bad" means "I didn't like/I like this thing"

"Succeeding" and "failing" are independent of a person's enjoyment of a thing, if it's possible for art to "succeed" or "fail" at all

I feel like this is edging reeeeaaaallly close to "Well, everyone has their own individual opinion and experience, so there's no point in discussing anything in terms of wider appeal."

Which, like, yes, it's super possible to like something that's terrible. I like a lot of works that are pretty garbage on a crafting level, and not because they're trying to break out of norms or whatever, just because they're not really well made. I can very easily say, "These are garbage, here are the ways they are garbage, but they are my garbage and I will be over here rubbing my face on the garbage in glee."

Criticism will obviously have to have SOME framework of standards for good/bad quality. Art is not a natural thing with fundamental laws, it's culturally constructed. At some point, you have to accept that every critic is working with an unspoken assumption of "We are using certain rules and standards for the sake of the discussion."

Todd uses Western Pop and Rock rules for his reviews, not Chinese Opera rules.

Lindsay uses Western Filmography rules, not Bunraku Theatre rules.

This isn't a failing on their parts, nor does it mean that the rules they don't use are bad.

There's a certain amount of value in thinking about WHY the rules are there and whether they can be broken, but that's a question that's separate from works unthinkingly or accidentally breaking rules, or breaking rules intentionally but to poor reception. (Which is itself an ongoing discussion as cultural standards change.)