Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

KayTee posted:

I had to drop out of this video (which I watched early on Amazon Prime BTW - just throwing that out there) near the end because I kinda want to experience the thing first hand, but also I don't have the time or the patience to pour into a 20+ year old hard-as-balls SNES JRPG.

Can anyone recommend a good video LP of this?

I played Earthbound for the first time a few months ago, and it's not really that hard. The only issue is that it's kind of grindy whenever you reach a new area.

Tired Moritz posted:

also i've been ignoring any posts that consists of more than three paragraphs, and it feels good

TBH, this is a good way to read this thread, unless you're particularly interested in the derail du jour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Roth posted:

Actually, they should go with the version of Venom that loves kids and not whatever the hell this is

I currently have less than zero interest in the Venom movie.

If they made Venom cute with kids, I would have about 120% interest.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 25, 2018

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pixar has taught me never to pay any attention to the trailers, because they have poo poo all to do with the movie.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Night Mind is occasionally dumb, does lovely skits, and has pretty low standards for horror stuff. Those are all his flaws that I know of and as far as I can tell beyond those he is a peach and I would love to see him get more popular. Dude's heart is exactly in the right place, for all that I bitch about his terrible theories.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I can understand hoping for the death knell of superhero blockbusters, if only because that level of ubiquity (not just in the theater but in every store ever) gets incredibly grating, especially when you hate the thing. (See also: Minions.)

I don't especially share the specific sentiment, but I know the feeling.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Haven't seen Hbomb's video yet but I swear, if the thesis is 'Actually the Star Wars Prequels are good' I'll scream.

P. sure that's his thesis on every criticism video.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

can't wait for people to earnestly claim ready player one is a good book.

Already happened when it came out, my dude.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ryan Hollinger did a cool video about Are You Afraid of the Dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxMkY90QGA

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TLJ was sloppy but I liked several parts of it and didn't feel like I'd wasted my ticket money, so I guess it was all right. I really liked the direction they took Luke in. That's my Star Wars review, please like comment and subscribe.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

poparena posted:

A couple of new videos in the last twenty four hours. First, a book hunt video where I hit up some bookstores in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6DOk-qmf0

And then, a new Doctor Who Book Guide, this time on "Shadowmind" by Christopher Bulis. It's very slight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05xgXNYpUb0

Don't mind me, just emptyquoting this in case it got buried in the very silly derail.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sephyr posted:

What's the consensus on Ralphthemoviemaker? I watched a couple of his videos and they were decently funny. Kinda lika getting to see a teen Mike from RLM. Also weird because he brought up toxic rear end in a top hat Armored Skeptic and lightly dismissed feminism, but in other videos goes on about thing being sexist/racist.

He's OK. His voice and sense of humor grate on my nerves, but he's not terrible as a critic. I dropped him around the Armored Skeptic thing, just because he wasn't appealing enough for me to risk watching a slide into chudhood.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

my parents boyfriend posted:

Thank you! Ah yeah, I miss the turkey. When I was making videos I'd always go out and give her bread and pet her. I guess we'll see what I do to take a break now.

And about the feminazi legbeard tendencies? I couldn't figure out the meaning of that line either. But I liked the rest of the story a lot.

"Feminazi legbeard" means either "Feminist who is stricter than I am/who I don't like" or "Woman who has gone off the deep end and turned into a caricature of a tumblrite." Judging from the story, it could be either; bad behavior is likely to run in families, but also the storyteller is really into trying to make other people into THE WORST EVER OH MY GOD YOU GUYS.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's pretty hosed up to hound a guy for public comment when he's dealing with the reveal that people he's been good friends with for a long time have been involved with terrible things. That poo poo's hard to process when it's NOT out in the public eye with an interacting audience.

I'm not really gonna tell anyone how to react to his silence WRT supporting his work, but the gossip and judging him about maintaining silence are lovely.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

idk, a system that discourages people playing all day on their phones doesn't seem that bad to me. It's not like you pay for the game and then have to deal with microtransactions.

I mean the whole reason people are on their phones all day is because they supply a variety of distractions plus constant notifications of NEW CONTENT CHECK IT OUT NOW!!! so even if the game weren't a blatant attempt to claw cash from children, I think the reaction to wait times would be less "Oh, I should put the phone down and do stuff in real life," more "OK time to switch to twitter/facebook and see what's new there for a while."

There's ways to combat phone addiction, and this is not any of them. If anything, the wait encourages periodic checks to see if you can play again, instead of just ignoring the phone.

I used to play a lot of trashy romance visual novel games on the cell, and they've gone from "slightly annoying but enjoyable without cash" to "pretty much don't bother unless you're willing to fork over the cash." It's very much a ruthless moneygrab, and thinking it's anything else is super naive.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yes, I am sure that the "E for Everyone" game featuring cute kids going to Hogwarts was not intended for children to play.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

why do gamers think that criticism implies outrage
is it because outrage is their natural state of being so they just assume that everyone else is doing it too

rhetorical questions. gently caress video games

Same reason people think "I don't like that movie," or "That movie has some flaws," translates to "This movie is bad, and you are a bad person for liking it." Combined with a lot of gamers making the jump from "I am upset at what you said," to "You are obviously upset because you said something that upset me."

And/or flashbacks to that time when people complaining about violence in videogames led to a threat of industry censorship, even though that obviously went nowhere. SOMEWHERE, MOM IS LURKING, PLOTTING TO TAKE YOUR GAMES AWAY FOREVER!!!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet people with good skits:

Contrapoints
HBG
Phelous
Jenny Nicholson

I feel like good skits have to be either low-effort and short or balls to the wall insane with a focus on production value. The former, even if they're not great, they won't take up too much time; the latter, at the very least you can appreciate the craft.

Linkara's skits are crappy to me, but apparently there's multiple people who genuinely like them, so what do I know?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

FoldableHuman posted:

On one hand I'm not sure Socratic dialogue really counts as a "skit" in the way it's being used here.

On the other hand it's some ivory tower BS to presume that such decidedly theatrical rhetorical devices are above or better than "mere" skits.

I'm mostly just going by whose skits are entertaining, regardless of the purpose or relevance. You can do socratic dialog skits and have them be crap skits, even if the information still gets communicated.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

khwarezm posted:

What ever happened to that Garrett guy? His channel was deleted at some point.

Apparently, crazy fans of his harassed him for... somethingorother. I tried finding out a while back, but there's not much record left.

I do remember it being specifically fan shitheads and not alt-right shitheads.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Peterson also has a really bad case of Academic Speak, where you just pad out everything with jargon and complicated sentence structure where it's not actually necessary, to the point that all meaning gets strangled. Which seems to attract people who want to feel smart by reading stuff like "clean your room and you will feel less depressed" but overgrown with ivory tower speak.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RCR has a pretty cool review of a New Zealand vehicle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtQsbd2zB9E

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

I think at this point we've all formed our opinions on this subject, perhaps we should move on now

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol, jon is dumb shite. yeah i am a little mixed sometimes about speech laws but the dude was dumb rear end in a top hat who taught his pug to do nazi poo poo. gently caress him.

on Bob. jesus christ, what happened to him that made him this much a bitter fuckhead.

Stuffed into his locker one too many times, I guess?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

raocow posted:

the absence of BofL has created a power vacuum of the absolutely lamest takes

Man, at least the lame takes are different and the derails shorter.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

business hammocks posted:

I thought Zalgo was an SA thing from the old For Better or for Worse megathreads.

Much like Slenderman, it attained memetic status and then got folded into the weird "all the creepypasta characters live together in a house in the woods and have a sitcom life and fall in love with various self-inserts" fanfic genre. I think Zalgo is Slenderman's enemy for... some reason, and has some set of minions, but hell if I'm going to go wading back into that mess to figure it all out.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Having seen some pictures of hanging victims, I don't think the picture looks like a hanged person.

I'd also wonder who took the picture of the hanged girl and put it on the internet. Like, I can't imagine most bullies would be terrible enough to break into her home and get a picture of her and upload it, and I can't imagine why else anyone would put the image in an easily accessible place.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Styles get popular for a reason

That reason isn't that a style is good, it's a combination of "Humans like to copy each other," "This style is easy to draw/animate," and "This style matches what the people in charge like, so of loving course I'm using it, I want to work."

Also Kelly Turnbull posted on Twitter about this... thing:
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/997661027901718534

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/997664722471170048

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ulex minor posted:

Good or bad, the shows in those examples all do have really similar styles.

Same with every era of animation. People get influenced by things, those things get integrated into their culture.

Especially in kids stuff, because kids fukken LOVE the same thing over and over when they're into it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

My problem with the new Thundercats show isn't that it's an insult to the original series, but rather that CN is trying to replicate TTG's success again (after Ben 10 and Powerpuff Girls) and I feel they are passing over other projects to push this forward.

Well, yeah, but that's pretty much everything in entertainment. Just like the style thing, it's no reason to be mad at the show itself. (And, of course, nothing is a good reason to be mad at the show staff. Unless they collectively lynched your dog or something.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm one of the outliers sitting in a corner with a little flag for Hunter x Hunter's Heaven Arena arc.

It wasn't great, but it wasn't the bloated and pointless Chimera Ant arc. That arc just makes everything before it look great.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm so mad I'm at work right now and can't watch it!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The reason we shouldn't immediately get into all the reasons a recently dead famous person was a scumbag is that there are a lot of people who are experiencing grief surrounding the death thanks to the ever popular parasocial relationship thing, and it's pretty hard to deal with grief when you've got "this person was a scumbag" heaped on top of it.

Doesn't mean you have to leave off forever, just give it a couple weeks' grace period. If not out of respect for other humans, than out of the practical interest that "HEY THIS GUY YOU LIKED AND NOW HAVE LOST FOREVER WAS ACTUALLY THE WORST!!!" is not going to add anything positive to the discourse, and is more likely to stir up the assholes, who, if they are grieving, are going to be even more passionate about their assholery than normal.

But seriously, even troglodytes deserve a base level of emotional respect, goddamn.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

business hammocks posted:

Even though it’s a long-dead meme at this point, I’d love to hear Shaun do a few pages for a video like that to see if he can keep his composure. Then afterward he would calmly explain that even though the book is bad and silly, it’s still bad form to single out entertainment for women for that kind of ridicule.

I’d ask for hbomb too, but I can imagine his incredulous laugh too perfectly already.

Also maven should have covered it because the main guy is a capitalist and thus a vampire.

Can we make this happen? I would love it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pretty sure it's just "I see a lot of girls with dyed hair in Crazy Feminist videos/memes, therefore this is clearly a symptom of the Feminism."

I mean, yeah, a lot of crazy feminists do have dyed hair, because that's popular with the kids, but these dudes don't seem to be too good at observing reality, or sometimes at going outside, so they don't put two and two together.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

somekindofguy posted:

I can't find good content to post at the moment, so can anyone recommend any good Reality TV podcasts or recap series? I'm kind of stunned the genre really hasn't been touched upon a lot by "angry review" types, given the wealth of terrible content.

I think the kind of folks most likely to be into the angry reviewer thing are also the kind of folks who consider reality TV beneath them. Also, reality TV tends to be kind of bland and samey, so not great for a regular series.

The only examples I can think of are Jenny Nicholson's Opposite Worlds video, Ralph Sepe's Mystery Diners and ghost shows videos, and ChaosD1's Paranormal State video.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like a retrospective on the creation/filming of certain reality shows could be pretty cool, but that'd probably also be difficult to do because of the research work and/or lack of real info.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

that's cause it is

for as big as these game budgets are getting most large studios still haven't found a way to work actual writers into game production, so game stories are still being told by people who are more knowledgeable in programming code than writing dialogue

save for examples like Uncharted 4, where basically the entire development team got a crash course in story telling and cinematic writing

There's also the issue that everything is on a tight schedule, plus all the AAA stuff has to be fully voiced, which means that writers have to churn out their story, then get no opportunity to tweak or edit later because that'd require new recordings and paying the actors more.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Night Mind is cute and charming normally, but ugggghhhhhh in his most recent video he goes on a five minute ramble about gamejacking in response to a video series dropping a couple of offhanded references to Wham City Comedy stuff. Dude exemplifies the Puzzle Box style of media consumption and it drives me nuts. Not everything is a secret code! Sometimes the artist just wants to put in some fun in-jokes!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

He did say it was his problem and he got over it for this, and said he was wrong to react that way. I don't see an issue.
Many things he likes are in fact puzzle boxes that are susceptible to game jacking and are completely impenetrable unless you are in fact looking for codes, going to multiple other youtubes twitters or other, and checking the dates on them. He can enjoy things that way so I don't have to.

Mostly I just find it frustrating that dude looks for secret ciphers in works that are obviously not ARGs, or weird "clues" that don't actually lead anywhere, to the point that he misses completely obvious things that break his idea of the secret narrative.

Like the references here are both obviously not gamejacking (because the work doesn't key in at all to anything about THHPII beyond "is video about weird poo poo" and "slice of life") and obviously not related to the overall message.

Just bugs me, because he can be pretty on point normally, but his laser-focused puzzle box mentality really leads him down some stupid cul-de-sacs when the simpler explanation would be "This has no secret meaning, and is just the artist adding something for thematic reasons." Like, I hate the whole "POE WAS JUST SAYING HE LIKES RAVENS, GAWD!" thing but sometimes dude takes it way too far in the other direction and weakens his videos as a whole. (The "horse apples" thing comes to mind.)

I guess it might be less annoying if he didn't also write like his own interpretation is obviously the One True Secret Meaning as intended by the creator(s).

Like I said, love the dude 90% of the time, but that one habit drives me batty, and it seems like there's at least one example of it in every single video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

re: anime tiddy games, Valve cracking down on those before they crack down on literal non-functioning scam games should take precedence over any other argument. They are more OK with people literally stealing from their customers than they are with sex apparently.

Granted, that's most of American capitalism. We're all "Caveat emptor, dummy!" unless there's a tiddy somewhere, then we get our panties in a wad about protecting the children.