Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Walt Disney's frozen head hasn't earned enough money from Steamboat Willie yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Looking at what games Activision released in the past few years, after they killed off Skylanders and seemingly stopped making licensed tie-in games based on Nickelodeon properties, they have made:

- a Crash Bandicoot trilogy remaster
- a Spyro trilogy remaster
- two Call of Duty games (WWII and Blops 4)
- Destiny 2

And the only upcoming titles I've heard from them are the Crash Team Racing remaster and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Since Destiny 2 is no longer theirs, I guess they're banking on Call of Duty to keep them afloat forever and will probably cannibalize the Blizzard side of things until that's gone.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

*sees the discussion over how convulted the plots of KH and MGS are*

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SUPER ROBOT WARS!

At least in Super Robot Wars they attempt to mash in the separate IPs together in a way that they make sense in the game's universe. In the old days that wasn't too hard, just say that Mazinger Z and Getter Robo occur in the same time period as Mobile Suit Gundam instead of the 1970s, and maybe time squish Gundam 0079, Z, ZZ, and CCA into a shorter time frame. The later games get kind of weird about it but that's mostly because more recent mecha shows dive into weird time/space/dimensional nonsense anyway, but even those don't have elaborate backstories that interfere with one another.

Super Robot Wars Z went about this the best way by going "we have Orguss, just use Orguss's bullshit to mash all the disparate universes together"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ya girl hosed around and does video essays now I guess. I made a video about the ending of Cowboy Bebop. As a mod I can legally force you to watch it probably.

I've seen all of Cowboy Bebop, but I'm currently playing through Super Robot Wars T, which oddly features Cowboy Bebop, so I'll wait until the end of that since that's obviously the new canon.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot Spike's in the new one I should get it

Not gonna spoil anything big, but it mostly integrates the Cowboy Bebop story into the context of the game while shuffling around some settings and certain elements to give them something to do. Arcadia of My Youth: Endless Orbit SSX is also in the game, and an early story beat they integrate is the biggest bounty in that universe is Captain Harlock.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have never seen evangelion? should I?

If you ever do watch this, you should also check out Space Runaway Ideon and Zambot 3.

(don't binge any of these three shows especially one after the other)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I remember there was an article about a popular Super Robot show in a South American country being ran by a dictator at the time (For some reason I think it was Daitarn 3?) who's government, suddenly and without warning, canceled airing the show right before its final episodes. The generation that watched that show would grow up to eventually depose the government.

vvvvv that sounds about right

This sounds like Voltes V, but you said it was a South American country. In the Philippines it was Voltes V. My mother and her family from that generation recall that show being a big thing and Marcos banning it. I remember them talking about it years ago because at the time we were visiting her family and I had brought over a PSP and a copy of Super Robot Wars A Portable, which had Voltes V in it, and the theme song and seeing the robot made them nostalgic (for Voltes V, not Marcos).

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 25, 2019

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I got ogre battle 64 used at a gamestop and then when I went to play it my nintendo 64 didn't work and then I sold ogre battle 64

that's my ogre battle 64 story

Is this the same copy I bought from you several years ago? The game worked fine, A+, would buy again

That's my Ogre Battle 64 story.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The Addams Family are rich and I don't relate to them. Herman Munster has to work to provide for his family, which is more relatable.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I keep forgetting there was a Munsters TV series in the 1980s that had a few more episodes than the original but is never rerun anywhere. Never actually saw it before and am kind of confused as to why it seems nobody has nostalgia for that particular version of the franchise when it is otherwise a 1980s product.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

Really good video, and learned some thing I didn't know beforehand. I didn't realize how long Ted had owned WCW befor it hit its stride. I had always thought he had purchased it more recently than he did.

The video does a pretty good surface-level look at the rise and fall of WCW, but if you dive deeper into the details, that whole history is a weird and wacky mess. Regarding Ted Turner's purchase of Jim Crockett Promotions, what happened was that JCP was hemorrhaging money in a variety of ways, with one of the major reasons being that, to compete with WWF, Crockett decided the best way to "go national" was to acquire multiple territories under his ownership. He was also the NWA president at the time, the idea was to leverage the NWA brand name alongside his territorial expansion (NWA and JCP were considered separate entities). All that spending would've been fine if he was making good money to back it up, but by the late 80s JCP was losing traction due to multiple factors (questionable booking, pushing shows into territories that had no history with JCP to the detriment of their hardcore fanbase, losing big stars for one reason or another). So by 1988, JCP was on the verge of folding.

Ted Turner did like wrestling, by all accounts. But his acquisition of JCP wasn't just because he "liked wrestling." Georgia Championship Wrestling's program was one of the top-rated programs on WTBS from the mid-70s up to the mid-80s (by '82 the show was given the name "World Championship Wrestling"). It was also the only other nationally-broadcasted pro wrestling program at the time aside from WWF's, which was on the USA network. McMahon wanted to buy out GCW's time slot on TBS get a monopoly on national cable broadcast wrestling, but Turner declined. Then later McMahon purchased GCW to secure that time slot. The ratings from the WWF programming on WTBS was terrible, but apparently WTBS was contractually obligated to keep the show in that Saturday time slot. To solve the problem, Turner gave some other NWA-affiliated promotions time slots on Sunday, which did way better ratings. This apparently pissed off McMahon because he was hoping he would maintain a monopoly on national cable pro wrestling programming; eventually, McMahon sold the World Championship Wrestling programming rights to Jim Crockett, which returned NWA wrestling to that Saturday time slot.

You could say that Turner buying WCW in 1988 was him trying to maintain that programming on his cable network, since by that point it was still good for ratings. I mean it helped that he did like pro wrestling and would burn truckloads of money to keep a failing business operating. I feel like, if he had kept operating costs and the size of the company about the same as it was during the JCP days, it would've been a decent TV programming venture, but wanting to topple Vince McMahon through sheer spending power seemed more fun to him I guess.

And hell, even my summary up there isn't as deep an exploration of that whole situation as it could be. I didn't even cover stuff like the double-dealing that went down when Vince McMahon purchased GCW from the Briscoes without Ole Anderson knowing, or Jim Crockett burning money promoting closed-circuit TV events in territories that weren't familiar with his product, etc.

Matt could probably do several dozen "Wha Happen?" episodes on bad WCW (or pro wrestling in general) ideas, but there are probably several other YouTube channels covering those sort of things.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

One of my favorite examples of JCP just... randomly spending money aside from big versions like holding Starrcade in Chicago where NOBODY cared about JCP was for a while they had a very plush, very expensive office in either Dallas or Houston. Why was this weird, Dawgstar? Well, they didn't run either of those towns. Didn't really run in Texas period because that was still WCCW territory. Dusty Rhodes* just wanted an office in Texas.

*Pay winda, muddaship, plunda, etc.

Haha, yeah, I remember hearing about that office location and thinking "wait, JCP didn't run shows there, did they?" and then you just reminded me that WCCW was still around at the time.