Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Thanks whoever here first linked to Good Bad or Bad Bad. I've been loving their videos so far and they cover a good abundence of white-guy-karate movies. AKA the best movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEM5t5R1ok

Good Bad or Bad Bad checks out Sleepwalkers, a cheesy as hell horror film written by Stephen King and featuring an uncredited Mark Hamill.

They're right in that the first part of the movie is kind of good. It's suitably messed up. It's just hampered by bad effects and poor filmmaking.

So far I appreciate their choice in movies they've covered since they haven't done the same movies every other 'bad film podcast' usually does.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ElNarez posted:

When I saw that the new Trainwreckords would be Oasis' "Be Here Now" I was psyched and boy does it deliver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg0FumbR4AU

Yessss.... Oddly enough I've been listening to this album a bit recently, or trying to when it's not blowing out my headphones. Overall I agree with his assessment apart from on a couple of points and I think he skips a couple of songs that I actually think are pretty good.

But that album is such an amazing clusterfuck of noise, even in its 'remastered' state. The original producer said if they just took Noel's original demos, redid the vocals and the drums (Demos used a drum machine) and maybe a couple of overdubs then it would've been more fondly remembered (And thankfully a lot shorter). The making of it, and the background of what was going on with that band at the time, is fascinating.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

*slams table* the book's way better!!!

It's also ruined by the next two books. Well, ruined is harsh but as a standalone story it's great, you just have to choose not to read the others.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I don't think she should've been sacked at all but I also don't think her reponse was warranted either, even while I understand why she would reply that way. I think Rami is misrepresenting what happened a little bit because the guy wasn't throwing poo poo at her and immediately apologised when she got annoyed for it.

I'm kind of on the fence about "We didn't ask for you engagement!" though and I think if you're going to block someone or whatever just do it, there's no need to make a show of it.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 6, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I get the feeling she's had to endure a whole lot of mansplaining as a female dev, so I think it's sort of a natural and perfectly understandable reflex to shut down dudes who go "Well actually...(1/3)".

ANet is in the wrong, regardless.

Oh, 100%, I think as an outsider it's also a case of 'Wait, that's the thing that sets you off?' as well as 'Wait, that's the thing you fire her for?'

Not to be conspiritorial about it, but that's the kind of response you use as an employer when you want rid of someone for other reasons.

Kim Justice posted:

Alien 3 on the Mega Drive is one of my favourites of all-time and would be #1. Other games I would have had on the list would be Little Nemo (it is based on an '80s movie...) and Die Hard on the NES - I've never understood why that game always gets scorched. Predator 2 Mega Drive would have been on there too...looking back I'm a bit surprised Moonwalker didn't make the top 10. Shockingly, as I'm privy to the full results, it didn't even get a single vote! :O

Also I was kinda surprised Batman Returns made it so high...like, it's an ok side-scrolling beat 'em up? MD and NES Batman games are a LOT better though. But hey it's not my list. I'm glad Robocop represented for the Speccy :)

I can't believe MOONWALKER wouldn't get a vote, despite the weirdness of not using 'Thriller' even when you're on the 'Thriller' themed stage. I'd probably put it above BATMAN RETURNS and DICK TRACY.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I first mentioned the 'maybe she got fired for other reasons' thing totally forgetting about the dude, so scrub that. I think it's just a company being cowardly and not wanting undue attention on themselves.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

That Shane series on Tanacon was...fine I guess? It starts off well enough but being friends with her maybe (clearly) blinds him to some of her behaviour even though he is quick to tell them both how majorly they hosed up.

Essentially I think that for whatever reason she hired this kid to do the event organising, was fine with it being over-capacity (This also depends if you believe their story that the Marriot told them it could hold more than the 1000 they agreed to) but didn't know about charging for all of those tickets.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0 + 1.0: You Can (Blame it on the Boogie)

Anyone listen to podcasts? I enjoy listening to Switchblade sisters a pod that interviews women in the film industry about genre films like the Fly, Night of the Comet, that 90s movie about a giant Octopus attacking a ship etc.

The latest ep is about the Matrix and the guest was writer and director Vera Miao.

I generally like Switchblade Sisters, though it can vary depending on the guest. It's always interesting to hear about these movies from a female perspective though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

khwarezm posted:

If I recall correctly Samuel L Jackson himself was one of the people who voiced his distaste for black British actors getting roles playing Americans with the argument that it was taking work away from actual African-American people. I think that was a very unfair attitude but it can run pretty deep.

His attitude was a little dumber I thought, which was that he objected to Daniel Kaluuya in GET OUT because he was British and the British don't suffer racism in the same way that Americans do. It got a fairly angry sounding response from Kaluuya.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Good to see Noah Gervais has the right opinions on the MAX PAYNE series. I never quite got the love for the second game. It's certainly 'bigger' but is largely stripped of the personality of the first one. While I don't entirely like the aesthetic of the third game, what it actually does with Max is really interesting and despite what some people claim, it is absolutely the same character that came before.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Todd in the Shadows has put out a new Trainwreckords, looking at Van Halen III, a.k.a. the Cherone years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwsficnHmhM

It's really good. I'm surprised he didn't go on to talk about how Eddie now has his son play bass instead these days. I had no idea it was 'produced' by Mike Post though. gently caress knows how that idea ever came about given that he's never produced a record like that before, and didn't try again.

David Lee Roth's dick ways is pretty well-known at this point, but it's clear that Eddie Van Halen is just as ego-centric, albeit in a quieter way.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I played a bunch of games through PSNow and never had any issues. But granted I expect I'm in the minority.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Not surprising anyone, Grace Randolph is a garbage person. Tessa Thompson is cast in THE LADY AND THE TRAMP and she calls it racebending.

Racebending dogs.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

She describes it as the SJW version of the story and points out how an English bulldog is now being voiced by Benedict Wong.

By the way, Benedict Wong is English.

https://twitter.com/shannytyrelle93/status/1029533749271126016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Corek posted:

Please remember this is cinema discusso we are talking about here

(Okay, it may have been just a few posters. But there was definitely nobody putting the film down.)

Ah I think this is being overstated a bit. Like a lot of reviews at the time there was admiration for the way it was shot (which at the time generated a whole lot of buzz) but the few times I've seen the movie get brought up is been noted as garbage.

I remember when it screened at Cannes and there was so much buzz over it because Disney were definitely, definitely going to stop it from being released.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Even though I'm not the target audience for it, I had a surprising emotional connection to GONE HOME. For me, it does what great art does, which is connect you to a perspective that isn't your own.

It also has some really great visual storytelling, particularly regarding your father and his past.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So they issued that correction and Blaire White is now no longer described as an "ethnonationalist"...

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1034502272573554688

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

RLM are kinda bad critics and I feel like they once read a Robert McKee screenwriting book and now everything has to conform to rigid storytelling. I also think using behind the scenes clips to justify some of their points is bullshit.

*Actor has questions about their character*
"See! Even the actors know the script is bad!"

Yes, this is what happens on nearly every movie. It's part of what actors do.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Watching that guy beat the Zelda record in HBomb's video actually made me emotional.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Boogie seems to have a pathological need to draw ire on himself and then try to place himself above it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

Fantano had neo nazi sam hyde on his podcast and was too busy giggling to challenge hyde on his views.

gently caress fantano and his apologist fans

I'm not fan of Fantano but I thought his response video to that article was pretty reasonable and wasn't the cut-and-dry issue that the article, or people here, seem to make out it was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

rudecyrus posted:

Todd released another Trainwreckords, this time covering "Mardi Gras" by CCR.

It was never that surprising that CCR would crash after 2 and a half years of knocking out great albums, but it's amazing how violently they imploded. I got no doubt that Fogerty was burned out being that he was basically CCR and I think despite how he comes across, I think he's largely telling the truth about what went down with the album. No doubt he knew the band was ending though and just thought gently caress them, lets see them embarrass themselves.

Also, John Fogerty has the rare distinction of being sued for sounding too much like himself.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I came to AVGN late so it never quite clicked for me, and I find Rolfe to be nothing more than surface level in his criticism, but he's also likeable and kind of endearing in his positivity a lot of the time.

I think actually having a life and not allowing his online persona to rule his life is probably the key to that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The issue with appreciating bad games is that when it's an unenjoyable interactive experience then it makes it so much harder to enjoy. Like yeah I think everything surrounding the gameplay in DEADLY PREMONITION is great, but sadly I still have to play it. And that always seems to be the caveat with these things, that if you ignore this core fundamental thing you have to do for hours then the rest is great. It's probably why these things won't be embraced the same way something like THE ROOM is for example.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

Getting back to Jenny's new video on the ghost hunting show, I don't what it is but her talking about bad and awkward reality television is absolutely hilarious to me. I find many things funny but nothing gets me laughing out loud very often but these videos do the trick, drat they're good.

It was great, I'm all for Jenny just watching mostly-forgotten shows and talking about them. I've shown friends both this and the episode about that reality show though I think I prefer that one because it was just a perfect example of increasingly poor decisions.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Todd In The Shadows just covered Billy Idol's utterly mental 'Cyperpunk' album, presumably based on Idol having heard about Cyberpunk in passing. It includes a mental rave version of The Velvet Underground's 'Heroin'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Jeff, of Giantbomb, has something to say who excuses bugs in Bethesda games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1SZgRL1n4o&t=803s

Whole video is good, if only for entertainment value if you don't see it that way.

I wonder how Brad and Austin feel about their arguments on this now. Jeff is right though. And Vinny is right in that I don't think Brad and Austin's argument really works if this is your first Bethesda game. You'd be right for thinking it's a total mess.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

RDR2 isn't even that cynical or at least not as openly 16 year old cynicism. its more like the old carlin quote "a cynic is an idealist with a broken heart". the whole game has theme of people who have loft and noble ideas either getting hosed over by lovely reality and assholes or never really having those ideals at all. Its not like GTA V or even RDR1 where everyone is weird characture person who is just the authors mouthpiece. it has a weirdly naughty dog vibe to it.

Yeah I think RDR has this but the second even more so with this idea that people routinely get hosed by life. Though there's some romanticism of the outlaw, there's also people you roll with who just want to get by and are trounced on by the bad decisions of others.

For whatever reason the Rockstar brand of cynicism works better in these games than they do GTA.

As for McIntosh and his points. Yeah you can totally kill women... You can kill just about anyone you come across. He has to use an achievement from the first game (which is much more of a winking nod to old dastardly serials) to justify his point even though I'm not convinced it holds water.

But it's all on brand for him. Lest we forget the time he used the Feminist Frequency Twitter to rail against the 'feminism' of FURY ROAD (You see, women would never use violence to solve their problems), tried using the phrase "filmic dissonance" like it was actually a thing and then got trounced on by the Every Frame A Painting guys.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well on of the games themes is that all those glories and mythical ideals about the west were bullshit. Like one of the subplot side quests is you tracking down gunslingers for info on another gunslinger for some dude, none of them are these heroic wild Bill types, they are super broken people by the stuff they have done or are hosed up sociopaths and snitching murders. I mean Dutch van der Lind is pretty much the best written cult leader in media or at least gaming. You can see his mask slowly slip off in real time as stuff gets worse and worse. Also if you’re in the US, Vote, send those loving chud ghouls back to the sewers.

Yeah sometimes I don't think Rockstar get quite enough credit for some of this stuff. A similar moment comes in RDR when you hear about this amazing freedom fighter and what a great man he is. You hear all this from what you think is his love interest (she seems to think so). When you do finally meet him he's nailing a maid and barely remembers the woman who sent you. Even Marston is a little taken aback.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you get get high on ether and just mumble about brain pans as you saw a child leg off because he had a cough and in your either frolics, you though he was an evil Hibernian with a broken leg.

2's writing blows one out of the water though. like it feels like what naught dog tries to do(and mostly succeed) with characters but actually push it further. seriously, play it. its a slow burn and kinda clunky but its good poo poo.

Oh I'm on it, still early days because I'm just enjoying the world. Already they're more confident in their storytelling. I like how they clue you in that something is immediately wrong by having Arthur mention that Dutch "accidentally" shot a girl in the botched job. I don't need to know if it comes back at all, but I like how the sow the seed almost immediately and use it to establish Arthur as a character.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Couple of things:

1) S Club Party is such a catchy song that I can't dislike it.
2) The Joe Rogan episode with Jake The Snake was fantastic. The man has so many great stories and I think Rogan is gaining a bit of an appreciation for wrestlers after already having DDP on (And say what you want about that carny, but the dude is doing a lot of good).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

One of the ComicsGate chuds - their token 'professional' Ethan Van Sciver - would stream and Tweet for ages that he had 'insider knowledge' Kennedy was going to be fired for TLJ. Sadly when her contract was renewed it is unknown what he thought as he didn't deign to mention it, just went back to hanging out with sexual predators and tearing apart Rose Tico action figures on livestreams like you do.

This then spread to Grace from the Increasingly popular 'Behind The Trailer' series who insisted that Kennedy was being fired. Then when it didn't happen, instead of saying she's wrong she claimed that what actually happened was that they were going to get rid of Kennedy but no one wanted the job so they had to let her stay and renew her contract.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

His latest movies are all self-financed though, no one in Hollywood is paying him to make movies.

He also thinks that Hollywood spends way too much on movies and that if he keeps self-financing it might help change the perception that the mid-budget movie is dead. He's got a lot of wacky ideas, but betting on yourself multiple times (He literally self-financed his last 3 movies) and winning is going to do that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

It's even simpler, honestly. Anything that does not make All Of The Money Ever is deemed a failure, no matter how profitable it is. That's sorta been a thing for a while; it's just spreading.

Isn't this just what happened with Buzzfeed and their layoffs? They actually made a pretty big profit, but because the profit wasn't as big as someone projected it to be they decided to 'restructure'.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah there is no way that Disney shelve GotG3. And I'm sure any filmmaker who has respect for Gunn can suffer a lapse in judgment when they give them a ton of money for it. There's no way they're not looking at talent right now.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, that Shane Dawson huh?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. I am in love watching Dany fans lose their poo poo that their angelic god is giant mass murdering monster, when i called it all along.

Its mental that anyone thought Dany was a 'good' person. She's had people crucified, holed up in a wall, ransacked cities. You can Yaaas Queen all you want but it doesn't change that what, back in like season 2 she's told she's not a ruler she's a conquerer.

I agree though that like everything, it's been way too rushed this season. Her actions are consistent with who she is, but the execution makes it appear as though it came out of nowhere.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/symeonbrown/status/1127888665135464449?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Oh and whoever asked about THE LEFTOVERS, yes do watch it, it's brilliant. In an inverse of GoT it improves a lot once it leaves the source material behind.