Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pop Culture Detective put out another video on how toxic masculinity is pervasive as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xL7w1POZ0

More than a few of the sample clips made my skin crawl, and there's just, an endless amount of them.

I like this guy's videos and discussions, shame that he's such a dweeb otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

In summary,

Tired Moritz posted:

do you not understand the concept of metaphors

The answer was "no".

Speaking of Lindsay Ellis, I just watched her Rent video and I wish she would do something for Hamilton. I really liked the point that theater is a medium of the bourgeois and thus creates an inherent disconnect between it and themes of oppression/social upheaval as a result, and would like more thoughts about that.

Edit: Are there any good channels for food science?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I know about SMT is that Nocturne had a lady with bitey mouths on her boobs

That was Digital Devil Saga.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

...really? yeah, broadway's inaccessible for a lot of people, but theater's increasingly a refuge for the marginalized

I'm not connected with the theater scene so forgive my ignorance on the matter, but it seems like the scale of the production is what makes it the difference between a medium for catharsis vs. activism. Like I'm all for local community theaters doing shows that focus on LGBT or minority or feminist or however way society marginalizes them, but I imagine most of the people going to those shows are friends and family. Whereas something like Rent and Hamilton got popular enough that they could have actually meant something, but because of the institution they're a part of, are sorta hamstrung by the message that they can actually give. Hamilton especially annoys me because the people that it's meant to be empowering are instead largely unable to watch it outside of getting lucky with the lottery. Maybe my statement should have been better phrased to specify Broadway, especially in light of her examples, so my bad for the poor word choice, but it really was an interesting notion that I hadn't considered. And I just like Lindsay Ellis videos in general :shobon:

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 26, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Why would anyone give Milo anything resembling the benefit of the doubt?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can anyone tell me why people like this boogie guy at all? Everytime he comes up in any of the social media feeds I'm on he just seems like the biggest piece of poo poo lmao. Is it just gamers

If I recall, the Francis sketches were pretty funny in the early days of Youtube and he also did a lot to help people with losing weight and by being open about how much being obese hosed him up physically and mentally (I didn't actually watch his vlogs and stuff, so I don't know have first hand experience on how that was handled). He it seemed that he had a lot of goodwill that he seems to be flushing down the toilet with Bad Opinions™.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Sideways done a new video on Fantasia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZIECBqtZNk

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1013135328234778625

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think she should've been sacked at all but I also don't think her reponse was warranted either, even while I understand why she would reply that way. I think Rami is misrepresenting what happened a little bit because the guy wasn't throwing poo poo at her and immediately apologised when she got annoyed for it.

I'm kind of on the fence about "We didn't ask for you engagement!" though and I think if you're going to block someone or whatever just do it, there's no need to make a show of it.

I get the feeling she's had to endure a whole lot of mansplaining as a female dev, so I think it's sort of a natural and perfectly understandable reflex to shut down dudes who go "Well actually...(1/3)".

ANet is in the wrong, regardless.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. why did people like the 90s again.

Look if the choice is between lovely comics and the hellscape that is the world in 2018, then yeah put Deathblood on my pull list.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Maggie Mae Fish continues her discussion of film daddies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzSRkV_lTw

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

No Small Parts is going away :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpk77lvz7I

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

rudecyrus posted:

All centrists eventually become fascists.

The centrist is just the larval stage of the fascist worm.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

I haven't been to this thread in a while, but since I discovered it I just had to share Defunctland. This channel is all about documentary-style videos which discuss the histories and extinction/general failures of various theme parks and themed entertainment experiences. His work is incredibly detailed and filled with painstaking research and fascinating historical context.

I've been going through Defunctland and it is reminding me hard of my wayward childhood visits to Disneyland. RIP Captain EO, which was apparently directed by...Francis Ford Coppola!?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Captain EO closed long before I finally got to Disneyland as a kid. So my first experience with it was in a Disney parks history book, which had a page spread dedicated to Captain EO. So all I saw of it was still images and description of the creative process and team behind it, so it looked loving phenomenal to me. Then years later I finally got to see the Tribute show after MJ’s death and was very underwhelmed by it. Though by that point in my life I already had a rather low opinion of Michael Jackson and George Lucas so wasn’t exactly broken up that it was just... a thing... that existed at one point.

FWIW, I kinda hated Honey I Shrunk the Audience, so anything that replaced that garbo show was an improvement, even if it was Captain EO.

I remember always going to Captain EO because it was a nice, air conditioned attraction that let you sit down instead of stand/shuffle for 2 hours to sit down for 5 minutes. The lines generally weren't that long, either.

I also really liked the robot that transformed into like, a synth, because I was totally into Transformers as a kid and the bad guys looked like the Borg. I think I also owned a copy of Moonwalker too (which I also liked because of the giant transforming Michael Jackson mech!).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Still my favorite random slam on Joss Whedon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFK7oWLWapc&t=410s

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're making a really strong case that I should watch every single one of her videos. :allears:

I'm very partial to this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWPMJwHrWFU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I’ve heard great things about Seirei no Moribito, which is about a tough-as-nails thirty-year-old spearwoman guarding a young prince on a magical quest. It’s directed by Kamiyama Keiji, who did stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor, and Jin-Roh, with some of the best animators of the time backing him up.

Seirei no Moribito is very good (disclaimer I haven't seen it since it came out), but I just wanted to make sure people aren't going to watch it expecting an action anime because if I recall, it can be quite slow. Not like, in a bad way, and it makes the actual fight scenes more impactful, but it deals a lot more with character and setting poo poo.

It'd be like trying to sell GITSSAC as this cyberpunk anime with this kickass cyborg woman with a stealth suit and there are sentient tanks and then watching the episode that's basically a chat room dialogue and realizing that's more representative of the anime as a whole.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

BobbyK posted:

Didn't he claim it was all an act when he had to go to court for a custody battle?

He made a video (that I unfortunately can't find) right before his hearing bragging to his fans that he was bullshitting about playing a character.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

OmanyteJackson posted:

So I just came across Nando v movies. Normally I don't like how to fix videos but he does a great job of assessing the themes and goals of movies and changing a single scene to better renforce what the movie is going for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm_GnEX3a7Q

I watched a couple of his videos but drat, why do they all have to be about Disney movies?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Maggie Mae Fish talks about Rugrats and empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKpo5n9bAQ

I'm really liking her videos and I hope she rises to the same levels as Lindsay Ellis.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This is a nerdy and inconsequential rant, but I like lists and I usually like Easy Allies' content, but why would they make a Top 10 Towns list and have 4 entries from Zelda, three of which are from the same Zelda game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX_9dWoSHwM

One of the reasons I like Cinefix's list videos is that they actually get pretty drat obscure and expand my cultural horizons, but c'mon Easy Allies, introduce me to some cool videogame towns that I may not be aware of.

The correct answer for #1 is Stardew Valley's Pelican Town.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I feel like Grace Lee's videos are underappreciated, so here's a video about birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD5Cl7FsAHk

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I really loved the hell out of Firewatch, but I'm also the type of person who would love to sit in a tower in glorious nature for like 6 months. But I really liked Errant Signal's video on Firewatch and think it reconciles its themes and why that theme disappoints the hell out of gamers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Patrick Willems talks about plot holes and internet culture, with a couple digs at our favorite idiot film pedantry channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HivyjAKlc

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

AVGN has always been unwatchable garbage for me. His whole profane edgy persona is garbage. How come we didn't shun this guy along with Doug Walker?

YMMV on his persona, but he seems like a genuinely nice guy who just likes to talk about videogames and movies and doesn't have much of an ego about it, so it's hard to poo poo on him too much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bennett looks at Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and also has a nice side discussion about colour theory and the difference between cell painting and digital painting.

VHD:B owns, the side discussion was interesting but undercooked, but all the attempts at humor were all groan-inducing. Like he starts with a mea culpa about how his old humor didn't age well and then proceeds to make more bad jokes without really going in depth about why the movie owns. It's basically just like, a plot synopsis and the opportunity to remind people to watch the movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Remember when people used to learn things from books instead of Youtube personalities? What a weird world we used to live in.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, if it were a straight up Diablo game with one price tag for phones. Cool and fun. But it won’t because that doesn’t make money so everything will be some nickel and dime bullshit.

You mean you don't want to pay diablux to identify the equipment you pick up?

Disclaimer: Since this seems to be a surprisingly sensitive topic to people, the above is a comment made in jest based on a "hyperbolic" extension of capitalism.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

And he wasn't fired immediately after saying it once because...?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

a cartoon duck posted:

centrists are so brave

It takes a certain type of courage to be that stupid in public.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i don't think boogie is actively malicious, he is just extreamly dim and extremely raised on Sorkin type centrist bullshit.

Espousing centrist values is actively malicious to the people who don't have the privilege of being unaffected by politics.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ulio posted:

There is no such thing as privilege to be unaffected by politics or whatever verbal diarrhea you wrote.

Lol what sort of fantasy world do you live in.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well yeah, of course. i get that. i just meant i don't think he himself is a dead eyed bigot fascist, he is dumber and worse than that in a way because he defends their bullshit because of dumb centrist bullshit.

I just don't want any defense of him as not "intending" to be harmful when the net result is still "legitimizes assholes."

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

I'm kinda stunned there is no Jim Sterling video yet on Artifact because jesus christ what a business model Valve went with.

It's apparently pretty hard to find info on Artifact's business model, except that it's apparently not free to play, which is pretty hilarious in comparison to Hearthstone and especially MTG Arena.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Patrick H Williams released the second part of his in depth look into the oeuvre of Michael Bay

So did anyone else forget that 13 Hours was a movie before watching this?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Andrast posted:

It's like magic online (which is a piece of poo poo)

Not to be confused with Magic Arena, which is pretty good. But yeah, Artifact sounds like one of those CCGs that came out in Magic's wave except like, 20 years too late. I'd be REALLY surprised if it didn't flop hard, especially when its competition is Hearthstone and Magic the loving Gathering.

It should also be noted that event tickets are also ~$1 normally. Also lol that keep draft doesn't even let you go infinite at max wins. Like, c'mon now.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 12, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Arist posted:

Paranoia Agent is loving great and I'd love to own it but for whatever reason the only official release I can find is an old-as-hell DVD release that's not even in the right region for me. It deserves a lot better.

Yeah I don't know what the hell it is, but for some reason like, Paprika is the only Kon that isn't hard to find. Get on it Criterion and put out a boxset with Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, and everything else.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

it would be best if he was addicted to something that doesn't have lootboxes tbh

I don't think heroin has lootboxes.

Hmm...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The title of this video is sorta misleading, but Criswell is trying to go "full time" with Patreon support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YZgG1C_as

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jimbot posted:

The Fast and Furious movies are fantastic. A modern epic. If you want to see what D&D campaign but with cars looks like, that's the series for you. Every film things just escalate from the previous.

It's also basically a mecha anime but with cars. What's really amazing about the franchise is that it went from lovely Point Break (before we got a real lovely Point Break) to the premiere all star action movie ensemble. It's like the gimmick of The Expendables but they made a good movie out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I liked Joseph Anderson's videos, but I admit a part of me is just fascinated by his level of obsession. I do like it when he adds up how much actual time a certain animation takes, like getting a star in Mario or going down an elevator in Breath of the Wild, because I agree that those repetitive animations should be skippable and is why all games should include fast forward buttons.