Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Definitely play the Tomato retranslation hack that puts the Easy Ring at the start. Way more manageable to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

Haven't seen Hbomb's video yet but I swear, if the thesis is 'Actually the Star Wars Prequels are good' I'll scream.

He didn't need to since that's just generally understood these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never bought Mafia 2, but I spent hours beating up elderly people in the demo. I was very disappointed with Mafia 3's melee combat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Anime star wars when?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dark Souls has the online mode to it. Including an original and remixed mode would split the online playerbase.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sen's Fortress? More like Sen's Funhouse.

We got.a friend of ours to play it for the first time a few years ago. He misread "Sen" as "Sek" so we lost our poo poo when he complained about how hard Sek's Fortress was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Deadly Premonition also lets you follow the townsfolk around and observe their daily routines. You can actually figure out who the Raincoat Killer is yourself this way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Huh, having played the game myself i never knew this. How exactly is that the case?

It's been a long time since I played so my memories are fuzzy, but I recall you follow a certain character around, they go to their very boarded up basement or something. I don't remember anything outright saying it until the plot reveals it, but you can infer it early based on the character's actions against the others.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it ethical to fuse demons in Shin Megami Tensei?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KayTee posted:

I dunno what this is. But in an attempt to be more hipster I don't know wether to ask the same question of Monster Rancher or Jade Cocoon.

Here's Jim being cross at a game publisher. Quelle Surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbw0Te_RTg

Shin Megami Tesnsei is an Atlus RPG series that's been going on since the NES (Just called Megami Tensei.) Originally based off a Japanese novel called Digital Devil Saga. They usually take place in modern day Tokyo after the apocalypse. You fight demons, but also can talk to them, and recruit them. To make stronger demons, you are encouraged to fuse them together. It's often described as "Satanic Pokemon." But unlike Pokemon, the demons are meant to be disposable and not party members you are supposed to get attached to. The demons also take inspiration from every major religious pantheon.

There's a boatload of sequels and spinoffs. The Person series is the most notable spinoff, more popular than SMT itself these days.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember the name being thrown around I think the N64/PS1 days but I never got around to playing it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

All I know about SMT is that Nocturne had a lady with bitey mouths on her boobs

They do not shy away from the sexual imagery.

:nws:
:nws:

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 25, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alaois posted:

enough of this boobery, LGR got a Gizmondo

I knew about this thing. I was in high school when this launched. It was so weird because I had heard about it from magazines at the time and thought there was this crazy world of handheld gaming outside of Nintendo (and Sony's upcoming handheld.) It sounded like it was some kind of handheld specifically for adults. I never saw one in person and didn't even know where it was sold. And then I was really confused when Gizmondo came out around the same time, and I kept thinking they were like a magazine dedicated to Gizmodo or something.

Remember the aptly named Phantom? It would have let you play PC games on your TV! What a novel concept. I'd love an LGR vaporware special on that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Are the writers unaware that Zoos and Aquariums continue to exist and be popular?

Jurassic World wasn't a zoo or aquarium. It was a theme park. The Jurassic World execs freaking out about a small percentage drop in profits was the most realistic thing about the movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What makes Jurassic Park/World a theme park and not a zoo is in the park's conception. Hammond had a background in entertainment and even fashioned himself as a Walt Disney figure. The entire concept behind the park is even explained to the audience by a cartoon character.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 5, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Snake from Metal Gear is a character that is special because of their origin, but becomes special through his actions. He's a genetically-engineered badass super-soldier, but he's also a pawn of the Illuminati/NWO/Quakers with an inbuilt expiry-date who can't maintain any lasting romantic relationships. He was dealt a bad hand to begin with, but what actually makes him special is his commitment towards heroism using his soldier skill.

I do think the message of how "One's genes doesn't determine their fate" comes across as awkward when the likes of Liquid are assassinated specifically due to their genes.

But Solid Snake also had the FoxDie virus, so why didn't he die?

I guess MGS4 still muddles it the message.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My son's name is also Boruto.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

NirtendoAmerica

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I'm visiting to Game On Expo here in Phoenix next month and Boogie is gonna be one of the guests. I hate that even an insignificant part of my ticket sale goes to him.

I was hoping to see Pat Contri's panel since he was there the past couple years but he's going to the con in Long Island that's happening the same weekend. I get it. If you got a choice between Long Island or Phoenix in July, why the hell would you visit Phoenix? The guest panel is pretty weak compared to Long Island's. (At least when it comes to the people I follow.) Boogie is the poo poo cherry on top.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd take the dry heat, to be honest.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so its loving ready player one the video game?

Yes. The main character even learns that he's the most important person in the universe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

It seems like there's quite a few Japanese games that have titles or elements that reference, allude to, or coincide with US/UK bands. With visual novels, you have Clannad (which is also the name of 70s Irish band), and Bible Black (which comes from King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black). There's a NES game called Holy Diver, after the Ronnie James Dio song. The Game Gear version of Double Dragon has a boss that references members from the band from Skid Row (though I think that one wasn't developed in Japan).

I know there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

Then there's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Queen II and A Kind of Magic are their two finest albums.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bullet Bill
Torpedo Ted

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Liefeld got a lot of mileage out of being a super nice guy to deal with. That's maybe changed recently when some people were complaining about not getting refunds from him on Kickstarter (although you really thought Rob was going to deliver on time?) but he's apparently likable and easy to get along with.

Weird. Last I heard, he gets a lot of work because he's so good at turning his stuff on time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

It was probably true when he was young and hungry and might be true now that he's no longer king poo poo, but it absolutely was not the case at the height of his popularity.

Nah, even recently. I haven't stepped foot into a comic shop in a couple years, but when I did, I was surprised how much he had on the new release wall. He had a few of his own stuff, I think he relaunched his Deadpool knock off, and even had some Marvel stuff too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ahhhhh.

Even at the height of my comic book reading youth, I knew that 90s superhero comics were garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kunster posted:

I guess this explains to me why I haven't seen a Jim Sterling take in this yet.

Speak of the devil.

https://youtu.be/TriZmvorwxc