Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

It amazes me that after discussion of the fascist-coded rape fetish show was gassed in ADTRW there's still people in entirely different subforums on this dead gay comedy site determined to strap those contextual blinders to their faces and defend it by getting real loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

CGP Grey is a bootlicking monarchist? Shame.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The only good thing about the British monarchy is that the time we established a new state by murdering them.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

'Hide your powerlevel' originated in online anime communities about a decade ago, expressing the desire not to be associated in public with the greasy weirdos running around with naruto headbands and peppering their speech with random Japanese words. If you were into anime in the early 2000s then it kinda made sense. You had to be there and witness it.

The concept and expression lost importance as anime became more popular in the west, but because the modern alt-right is rooted in online communities and grew in large part out of certain bits of 4chan, they've adopted the expression.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

It's just on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TebCHHCw9rY

I can't wait for Flat Earth. I hope he goes in on everything. Hollow Earth, ice wall Earth, Thicc Earth, torus Earth, folded Earth, Earth on the back of a giant turtle, etc.

This marks the 4th time I have watched this masterpiece.

I still don't know where the music at the end is from.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Hbomb's a treasure and that was amazing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

StC was the best Sonic comic because once it stopped being child-level weird chicken scratch art, it leaned in hard on the idea of Sonic and his friends being anti-industrialist, anti-capitalist resistance members to Robotnik's 1984-style dictatorship.

Pity nobody but a few weird British kids ever read it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Also.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Also fanfiction as a cultural phenomenon is absolutely fascinating and I wish there was more study of it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I fukken loved Ken Penders's Sonic stuff as a kid so this is like watching my childhood shrivel into a disgusting moldy husk.

Edit:

It wasn't 1984 or especially clever, just different and dark for the time, when there weren't a whole lot of kids properties willing to get into darker (for kids) territory.

The premise was that Robotnik had taken over most of the world with his mechanical horror pollution robots, and captured the conquered population and turned them into robots with Science, overwriting their minds and personalities to become slaves, except there was a vestige of the original mind in there, so the people were kind of aware in some way of what happened to them.

And the main characters were a bunch of kids who'd escaped the takeover and were fighting Robotnik guerilla style, while occasionally encountering former loved ones who were now evil robots.

If you were ten and your alternatives were mostly Looney Tunes and Disney stuff, it was pretty awesome. Nowadays, there's more options, so it's not as clear how refreshing it was. (Kind of like how, post-Dark Age, Watchmen isn't as transcendent. Not that the two are especially comparable beyond relative darkness against their contemporaries.)

You are talking about the British Sonic comicbook, just called 'Sonic the Comic', or StC for short. It did get pretty 1984 once it established itself, going heavy into police state stuff. Not all the population were turned into robots, the threat of such being used to control dissidents and as punishment.

To my 11 year old mind this was incredible.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

Sekiro definitely has thematic connections to the Souls series, and definitely has foreshadowed references (if not explicit universe linking) in the other games, most particularly Old Hunter Yamamura in Bloodborne. And having typed this out I just realized how the Sekiro endings tie into everything, so that's helpful.

Anyway, for me the most interesting thematic carryover between Souls is the parallel between Hawkeye Gough in Dark Souls 1 and the Sculptor in Sekiro. Once you figure out that one, you can start seeing the universes in a completely different shadow.

I've been obsessed with the Souls series since they started, but I've never managed to finish Sekiro. Are you going to be publishing the result of your project anywhere? Would be deeply interesting in seeing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I want to complete my other project first (which sucks because voice recording and video editing are emotionally draining and boring compared to writing about this), but after that I do plan on publishing the Soulsborne project. I'll probably even release it uncompleted, half because I think it's too massive to figure out myself and maybe it'll inspire other people to answer the soapstone, and half because releasing something in an incomplete state is also thematically appropriate.

Please do! Good luck. Don't go hollow.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I've watched the 2006 series and Fate/Zero, and played one of the PSP games, and never managed to get more than one route into the original VN. All of them were entirely comprehensible and self-contained. The English wikis are written by idiots fixated on nonsense details.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

i dont really know whats up with this modern trend of like, googling the wiki and going down every page trying to understand something instead of just, watching it if it interests you and not caring about it if it doesnt.

Spatula City posted:

there's a difference between "has lots of extraneous lore" and "very complex, interwoven plot" but it's not a distinction nerds seem to comprehend.

Western nerd culture has always had this undercurrent of obsession with a narrowly defined form of curative activity, in which the internal details and consistency of a fictional setting are more important than whatever the actual work is trying to do, or what effect it has on them as an audience, or interesting technique, or literally anything else.

It's the spiritual descendant of all those Medieval theologians writing books about how many angels can stand on the head of a pin.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Spatula City posted:

anyway the intent was clearly not to harass those people either, but to demonstrate what people had been saying to her. should she have blanked out all identifying information? I dunno. She wasn't inciting harassment. that's bullshit. whatever else I think about her, that's untrue. more than that, the notion was a lie to begin with, a lie I even initially bought into. it was asserted within hours of the video's release, with the obvious hope people would see it before or instead of watching the video. and now it's bulletproof bullshit. people will be repeating it for years to come. does not make it true, and I'm not going to argue about this because I am correct, and you know it.

Spatula City posted:

I'm not going to argue about this because I am correct, and you know it.

Spatula City posted:

you don't know who's going to come barreling around a corner holding a rhetorical chainsaw, either for her or against her.

Hmmm.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Pharohman777 posted:

it seems utterly naive to assume 'people are willing to volunteer without compensation for difficult things like programming games if all needs are met'.

People literally do this all the loving time! People create art for no compensation constantly, in their private lives, as hobbies, as passion projects. This isn't some bizarre esoteric concept. You only have to poke around on the internet for five minutes to find proof of this, in any artistic medium you choose.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

A while back, I promised the thread I was making something about Dark Souls. Well, it's not done, but I'm near an epicenter and not feeling great. Maybe this is premature, but I'm worried I'll wake up and forget everything.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...dit?usp=sharing

Hopefully someone out there enjoys this.

I missed this, over a loving month ago, but hopefully you'll see this: thank you for writing and posting that!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

It is laughably simple and easy to pirate an ebook, even moreso than any other form of media, and I hope this nonsense encourages more people to do so.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Endorph posted:

ive found the only content creator that matters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7htyUyA-U

grandma that owns 50 anime figures and loves atelier and disgaea

Finally, a youtuber with good opinions.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Shyrka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvbK-7n3ec

ValykyrieAurora has posted this and taken down all her videos from youtube. I don't know if there's anything deeper going on beyond what's said, but I'm pretty sad to see her go. I saw her put up an FFX video a couple days ago that I hadn't gotten around to watching and now it's gone along with all her other videos which gave me many laughs.

I just saw this too. Really liked many of her videos. I can totally understand wanting to move on from youtube, but the decision to remove all of her old content is really sad.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Shipping, by definition, is something fans do. If it's in the show it's just ... text? Yeah.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Fabricated posted:

The thing about Ennis' Punisher which is kinda funny is that BORN basically implies he's the literal avatar of Death itself or some force of that nature, which is how he apparently just never runs out of gas.

It's been a long time since I read that comic, but I seem to recall it was more like Frank loved the Vietnam war so much, loved killing, that he didn't want it to end, so death or the devil or something dark and unnamed offers him a deal for an endless personal war, and then only springs the price on him at the last moment, which is that his family will all die. I liked that angle because it didn't try to obfuscate or excuse the fact he's a complete monster.

One other aspect I really liked about BORN was that it tied the Vietnam backstory aspect and Frank's personal violence into US Imperialism.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

How come America doesn't really have the equivalent of mangaka.

Because of different material conditions in two very different industries giving rise to completely different pipelines for talent.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

apparently old howard phillips recanted being a giant shithead in his later years?????

https://twitter.com/racistNEET/stat...075787260366848

Lovecraft was a very complicated human being. I spent some time reading through those exact collected letters in detail many years ago, and he does very obviously go through a whole series of political and personal changes in the final decade of his life, and if you look carefully you can kind of see some of it reflected in his fiction, albeit in a clumsy fashion. This doesn't change or recontextualise his earlier racism, and it certainly doesn't erase the places where it gets into his writing, or in some cases forms the foundation of a story, but if you're interested in the history of the man himself it's kind of important to acknowledge that he wasn't some static caricature.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The only big name twitch streamer I find worth watching is Vinny, partly because he doesn't do any of that donation call out nonsense and is constantly just chatting about interesting stuff.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Takoluka posted:

I think my biggest takeaway is that virtual avatars make it so women don't have to dress up and "look nice" to play video games online. It's much easier to just jump out of bed, clip your hair up, and hit the switch on FaceRig.

There should probably be an established distinction at this point, though. Virtual YouTubers (VTubers) are characters. They might represent the person behind the camera in a lot of ways; above all, though, they're basically a brand, and a lot of VTubers, both independent and corporate, put a lot of work into separating their online and offline personas, with the latter usually being unknown for the entirety of their streaming career. A public figure with their own Wikipedia entry adopting the term "VTuber" for themselves without following the standards previously set for VTubers is what's causing the shakeup. The timing is also really interesting, as Hololive just debuted their English-focused generation of characters, and that definitely feels like a bandwagon jump for search analytics.

A virtual avatar + character/persona creates a slightly harder boundary between performer and performance for a streamer (and this is really interesting, I could go on about this for a while). An already established minor internet-famous public figure adopting a virtual avatar and continuing to be themselves doesn't have the same effect, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

rudecyrus posted:

I didn't recognize him.

He's preparing for the post-Brexit wastelands.