Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yakuza means "Friend to children [of Earth]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

"nonlethal bone crusher"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Judgement Kazzy

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Kiwami is what I yell at my friends when we play guitar hero and they get an extended note.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

White Coke posted:

So was that a distraction to get rid of the guards?

Also, now that we know what kiwami means, what does yakuza mean?

According to a loading screen I saw this afternoon it means 8, 9 and 3 which was the worst possible hand in some form of old Japanese gambling Oichi-Kabu. :eng101:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

A Sometimes Food posted:

According to a loading screen I saw this afternoon it means 8, 9 and 3 which was the worst possible hand in some form of old Japanese gambling Oichi-Kabu. :eng101:

So it's like if some American gang called themselves the High-Card?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Watching enough Yakuza LPs and reading up on things has clued me in the fact that yakuza (at least in this game series) don't actually like refering to themselves as such using that specific term, even if the subtitles translate it that way for English players' convenience's sake.

They use the term gokudo, which means something to the effect of "wicked", so in some ways they know that even with the whole honor facade they have and claims of helping the community (by protecting it after extorting large sums of yen from them), they're doing something wrong. If you've played enough Yakuza games, you can hear the term used a lot in cutscenes when the bosses are talking to each other or Kiryu. :eng101:

There's another term that's the opposite, but it escapes me at the moment, and the subtitles usually translate it to civilian (as in dude who isn't in the Yakuza). It gets used a lot in Yakuza 0.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

White Coke posted:

So it's like if some American gang called themselves the High-Card?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aces_%26_Eights

Dead Man's Hand.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, poo poo. I suppose we should have stayed out of it, then, if Yumi just ran off.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Two Pair isn't the worst poker hand though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

White Coke posted:

Two Pair isn't the worst poker hand though.

It is when you get shot holding it.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I presume that you don't really need to have a bunch of gangsters getting themselves thrown behind bars on purpose just to whack a guy; it's more likely that they have a bunch of people going in and out of prison for various reasons all the time anyway, probably low-level hotheads eager to get themselves back in their superiors' good graces, and all they really need to do is pull some strings to get enough of them in one place to send their message.

Or, not nearly enough of them, as the case may be.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kiryu's punishment of expulsion means he's kicked out of the yakuza and no longer allowed to associate or do business with it, but there's a possibility that it can be reversed if he returns to their good graces. The article where real yakuza play the game mentions that the only sign that the office they're meeting in is yakuza-owned is notices of expulsion taped to the walls. The banishment he expected is the most serious punishment he could receive short of assassination, basically an irreversible excommunication where everyone is told what he did and even associating with yakuza members could get him beaten or killed. Previously yakuza would have fingers or portions of fingers amputated as punishment, but this was stopped when it started making it really obvious who their members were.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I imagine his expulsion is because enough of the leadership didn't like how Dojima operated and assumed Kiriyu had a good reason to kill him, and are happy that he did. I wonder how much of the plot will revolve around it though. I assume there's going to be some sort of a time-skip so we get all sorts of fish out of water hijinks once Kiriyu has to reintegrate into society.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

White Coke posted:

I imagine his expulsion is because enough of the leadership didn't like how Dojima operated and assumed Kiriyu had a good reason to kill him, and are happy that he did. I wonder how much of the plot will revolve around it though. I assume there's going to be some sort of a time-skip so we get all sorts of fish out of water hijinks once Kiriyu has to reintegrate into society.

The same person who chose expulsion over banishment sent the guys to kill him. I don't know the respective ranks but I'm guessing politics, with Kiriyu's boss pushing for leniency so the guy wanted to appear to grant it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I thought his official punishment was lower then he expected, because they were already planning to have him killed unofficially.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just watched the latest videos. I can tell you that yes, Nishiki's character is fleshed out a lot more in the remake vs the original. We see how he became the cold psychopath he is by the time Kiryu gets out of prison in the remake via the added scenes over time, whereas in the original game he goes totally from Kiryu's friend to that psychopath without any detailed explanation or flashbacks to show how it happened- you're just told that it did. I can't say much more due to your spoiler policy, but I was glad they got a good actor to carry over both sides of the character (Michael Rosenbaum). The Japanese voice does a great job too.

The Majima Everywhere system is also new to the remake, as is the updated combat system and (I think) the CP system too. The graphics and sounds are of course a lot better too.

I look forward to your future videos.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 20, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nishiki became a psychopath as soon as he buttoned his shirt all the way.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, that’s usually a bad sign. :D

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I hope we'll get a better angle for the next beef bowl.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man I'm looking forward to you showing how this game is meant to be played and how to amass tons of experience quickly.

Also, do you plan on fighting the secret boss or no?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Man I'm looking forward to you showing how this game is meant to be played and how to amass tons of experience quickly.

Also, do you plan on fighting the secret boss or no?

I dunno if what I've got planned lines up with what you've got in mind, but I'm going to do my best to show off everything this game has to offer.

achtungnight posted:

Just watched the latest videos. I can tell you that yes, Nishiki's character is fleshed out a lot more in the remake vs the original. We see how he became the cold psychopath he is by the time Kiryu gets out of prison in the remake via the added scenes over time, whereas in the original game he goes totally from Kiryu's friend to that psychopath without any detailed explanation or flashbacks to show how it happened- you're just told that it did. I can't say much more due to your spoiler policy, but I was glad they got a good actor to carry over both sides of the character (Michael Rosenbaum). The Japanese voice does a great job too.

To add to this too, 0 does a really good job of fleshing out Nishiki too. 0 and the new Kiwami scenes do a spectacular job of turning Nishiki into a much more deep and nuanced character.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can't create an exact replica of Kiryu's suit in GTA Online, but you can get close.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not that I'm objecting to the expansion in the remake but Nishiki didn't necessarily need to be fleshed out in the original. Much like Majima the player could fill in a lot of the backstory themselves. But I'm betting more is better in this case.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Before I watch the video, I just need to comment on how we were just talking in the schadenfreude thread about the deranged Stardust comics from 1940.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Majima probably would've been successful in goading Kiryu into fighting if he'd tried talking poo poo about Kazama.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always thought heat actions only lost damage if you use the same one more than once on a boss. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in most games in the series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You have to buy the ability to use Kiwami attacks via levelling up your styles.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

You have to buy the ability to use Kiwami attacks via levelling up your styles.

Yeah I realized that as I was recording the session after this.

Sindai posted:

I always thought heat actions only lost damage if you use the same one more than once on a boss. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it worked in most games in the series.

I don't really pay attention to the damage done so it could very well be that this is the case. I just know that I hate the damage reduction in general, especially how much it reduces by.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the only thing alcohol does is increase the rate you gain heat.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Another important change I want to note- In the original Yakuza game, you eventually stop having random encounters if you gain experience above the level limit for each stage of the game. I don't think they repeated this error for the Kiwami version. Or did they? Please confirm if you get the chance. Thanks.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I really like when you beat an enemy and thier health bar shatters.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Another important change I want to note- In the original Yakuza game, you eventually stop having random encounters if you gain experience above the level limit for each stage of the game. I don't think they repeated this error for the Kiwami version. Or did they? Please confirm if you get the chance. Thanks.

I can't confirm this but I'm pretty sure I've basically always had guys trying to beat the poo poo out of me.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
And that right there is about as far as I ever got in the original game. Looking forward to seeing what transpires from here.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The obvious implication here is that the Shimano patriarch and Nishikiyama decided to murder Kazama and frame Kiryu for it, correct?

Although, considering Kazama's final words there I wonder now if the 10 billion ¥ were not stolen, but moved by Kazama in a safer location because he saw this poo poo coming and he trusted Kiryu to solve it.

E: and if Kazama knows where Yumi is then I think he got the whole story out of her

Omobono fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 28, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Omobono posted:

The obvious implication here is that the Shimano patriarch and Nishikiyama decided to murder Kazama and frame Kiryu for it, correct?

Although, considering Kazama's final words there I wonder now if the 10 billion ¥ were not stolen, but moved by Kazama in a safer location because he saw this poo poo coming and he trusted Kiryu to solve it.

E: and if Kazama knows where Yumi is then I think he got the whole story out of her

I don't think he's dead. Sure, he got shot and he's old but it was only in the shoulder and even then he didn't have a last gasp or even pass out so he might still pull through.

Also this part is really tough and I don't know if they expected you to go grind a bit first or something, because yeah, the fight against that Omi Alliance dude was slow when I did it too. And can anyone confirm if having more Heat/Climax Heat bars makes heat moves do more damage?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I dunno about having more bars, but aren’t there upgrades that specifically boost HEAT action damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I dunno about having more bars, but aren’t there upgrades that specifically boost HEAT action damage?

You know what, I think there are. No wonder I thought they got stronger when the bar was longer. I'd probably picked up a few of those along the way.