Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's very strange reading bombshells united compared to the initial arcs of bombshells, wonder woman just kamikazes herself to make a new group of "wonder girls" in the second issue, and several girls are introduced through single panels and have no backstory, and it makes me wonder if bennett knew bombshells was gonna get cancelled at the outset and she just tried to ram in as much as she could with what little dc offered her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Sub-Mariner continues to be a vehicle for Everett to talk about politics. I'm generally in favour of this.

Luke Cage is a vehicle for Billy Graham to do loving wicked work.

Also, Cage kills a dude. A bit of a surprise moment for me there, I don't expect it will, but hope this has repercussions in future issues.

Cortez isn't dead. There was a Cage mini series a few years ago called Town Wihout Pity and he's in a wheelchair. Him not being dead might be a retcon though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cortez isn't dead. There was a Cage mini series a few years ago called Town Wihout Pity and he's in a wheelchair. Him not being dead might be a retcon though.

It’s definitely a retcon. That issue was real clear that Cage killed him.

Mind you the retcon might have been in the next few issues. Not sure yet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished a terrible 5 book run on Iron Man (he fought Yellow Claw and the Mandarin and attended the San Diego Comic-Con) and as a reward for getting through that slog I get to read the Thanos war! Jim Starlin’s art is real good.

I have a stack of images to put up later today. Posting this partly just to remind myself to do that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I made it through the first part of Thanos War. I'm going to split this into a couple posts though, so it'll be a bit before I post about the Thanos War stuff. Sneak peak: Jim Starlin is the best cartoonist to work at Marvel since Steranko left. (he's may also be the only one, I can't think of any other books where the artist also scripts)

Lots of cool stuff happening thus far.

Aquon - the hottest new villain of 1973. You can see the Kirby influence all over these books. I'm gonna be honest, Trimpe has massively grown on me. I still think his technical chops are lackluster, but his imagination and his constant efforts to improve have really endeared him to me.

Marvel doesn't put politics in their comics, no sir.

Captain America and Werewolves have been a thing for a very long time. Also the worst drawn Nick Fury of all time. It's like the artist read half the character description and just decided to wing it.

Frank Brunner putting in fuckin work. Dr. Strange is one of those series that seems to go from incredible artist to incredible artist. This was a weird arc because the writer changed a couple times, but it had some of the best issues from the early 70s, and yet another classic Marvel death. Sadly this one is a bit lost to time because Dr. Strange, but I highly recommend reading books Brunner worked on if you have the opportunity to do so.

Speaking of Dr. Strange and Brunner, the Genesis storyline is loving bonkers.

Doc Savage being terrible despite pages like this is maybe the most disappointing thing about this reading project.

Half an hour is 29 minutes more than I need baby.

Ghostrider has his priorities in check.

"Smell its alarming pungency" :popeye:

War of the Worlds and the amazing adventures of Killraven are actually pretty fun.

The hottest new villain group of 1973. Can't believe they never caught on.

There is way more killing in the early Bronze age of comics than I expected. Also, Betty harpy. That little arc was quite stupid these are the only panels I captured but they go to a cloud city that's linked to the underwater flying person civilization we learned about 5 years ago, and then after some robot and monster fighting - maybe with aliens, I can't remember - both Better and Bruce turn back into their non-powered forms when the city explodes and thus fall all the way to Earth and are somehow fine because everything about this is just pure comics but it's great that someone brought it back.

Exhibit #345 for why Tony Stark is a piece of poo poo. These aren't fake panels or whatever, Tony really is just an rear end in a top hat who immediately starts making moves on his "best friend"'s wife, culminating in him using the employment power dynamic to isolate her from her husband and taking advantage to make out with her. Tony Stark is the worst. And the art is just consistently bleh.

Except for the art in these panels. CHAOS RULES I believe this was from an arc where Tony gets into some light union busting, which is from exhibit #492

Some excellent Falcon related panels. I love their "on the run" alter egos.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thursday night, good night to post more panels.

Over in the Avengers I have been introduced to Mantis, the worst superhero yet. Englehart is otherwise an ok writer, but this loving sucks. The Deathstroke moment from Identity Crisis, but 35 years early.

Why did John get all the talent? Why couldn't he have left some for Sal? Conan is just so goddamn good.

Kilraven has got some wicked art. In this arc he's been captured by the Martians and needs to bust out of their gladiator slave pits again and then also there's a rat dude who gets eaten by his own rats.

Spider-Man has some really awful moments, but Conway does his best to have fun with it.

It's also got some great character beats. Conway has done an incredible job turning MJ into a real character. She's not just a go go dancer anymore.

The Mandarin is a terrible racist caricature of a villain but his rings are cool, everyone loves power explanation panels.

Also this panel is awesome. I believe this is after Yellow Claw takes him down.

Oh hey, another example of how Tony Stark sucks. What a prick.

Hulk is a consistently good character.

That's enough for today. Thanos War will have to wait.

Up to Thanos War - Spider-Man is still the best cape book, Conan is still the best anything book, Gene Colan and John Buscema are probably my favorite artists who get consistent work, Trimpe has grown on me a lot, the horror books are both better than expected (Frankenstein, the magazines) and worse than I hoped (Werewolf By Night), and Jim Starlin is bursting onto the scene like nobody has since Steranko's run on Shield.

Dr. Strange had a great run there with Brunner, and I know he has another short run coming up soon. I'm looking forward to it. I'm also only a couple hundred books away from Giant Size X Men. Jungle Action and Panther's Rage are within the next 75 odd books.

I'm also reading some of the war stuff I passed over initially. Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos are way, way better than I expected. Dick Ayers is putting in competent work, and Stan does a great job of just jamming in action. Sometimes he even puts in a good story, or a great story, like #6, which is one of my favorite Marvel stories of the era.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I forgot this thread was here

At the end of February I finished the first big chunk of my 2000ad project. I read 500issues plus Megazine stuff plus current issues of both in nine months

My next chunk starts in earnest at the end of May and is about 900-1000 issues

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Why did John get all the talent? Why couldn't he have left some for Sal? Conan is just so goddamn good.

Sal Buscema is really very good, and his sense of visual storytelling is right up there with any silver/bronze age artist you care to mention.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Sal Buscema is really very good, and his sense of visual storytelling is right up there with any silver/bronze age artist you care to mention.

His linework and anatomy however is nowhere close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pastry of the Year posted:

Not in the 70s it’s not. I did like the spider-man stuff of his that I saw from later on though.

At least he’s better than Bob Brown.