Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/1141465686591623174

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Glt3eukJ8

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's full of poo poo, everyone knows the way the name process works. He might of picked it but they made him change it and make it sound like a regular name.

Him and Brennan are two less names I'll feel sorry for when WWE WWEs them up Real Good :woop:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dio Maddin is their worst name yet

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Chris James 2 posted:

Him and Brennan are two less names I'll feel sorry for when WWE WWEs them up Real Good :woop:

I mean in the case of Brennan, I don't feel bad at all for any poor booking that comes his way. He seriously defended Dominic's white nationalist tweets before claiming that anyone offended is part of an outrage culture and that it was okay for Dominic to do that because as a minority, he wasn't offended.

Also he's had some really bad gimmicks on the Florida circuit (and when I mean bad, I mean there is zero chance WWE came up with any of them). Nothing really offensive from an actual progressive/society standpoint, but still.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Dio Maddin is their worst name yet

What, a dude can't be a fan of both Ronnie James Dio and Winnipeg avant garde filmmaker Guy Maddin?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
he chose the last name Maddin to pay homage to John Madden, who has also been off TV for 9 years

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

oooooo Breakout Tournament looks good!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Or it's Dio from Jojo and a tribute to Woolie

Is he ever likely to go anywhere or do anything besides NXT?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Conti and Li were...not good. Looked like they were wrestling in rubber cement.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Or it's Dio from Jojo and a tribute to Woolie

Is he ever likely to go anywhere or do anything besides NXT?

It's exactly that, and no

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Well, at least it reminded me of that classic Woolie bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drX9D2oeqTQ

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WWENXT/status/1141502997047808000

https://twitter.com/StokelyHathaway/status/1141755600348635137

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWS2kl5gYAo

rovert fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 21, 2019

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Undisputed Era are just too good for this world. They can't break up. Backstage needs to New Day them. It's magic. It's gold. I popped when I was expecting Gargano to come out but instead it was Tyler Breeze!!! IT'S TYLER (who needs a tan real bad). Delightful promo to open the show. I loved when Bobby Fish got so mad he kicked the turnbuckle when Riddle's music hit. Roddy you need to not make noise when Cole hits his "bay-bay", though. Not a peep. Side note: I know TUE sell hella merch since they got an LGBT+ shirt selling on WWE Shop.

Man I got SO PUMPED for Raul Mendoza, hoping his winning streak would continue. He's back to being level-1 debuting superstar fodder (Ohno is the megaboss of debuting superstar fodder). This was my second time seeing Punishment Martinez. He's fun! I like him. Though I'm not too sold on that spinning kick/rolling cutter finisher sequence... plus he kinda looked like he forgot what pin he was going for? He'll get better. But more Raul, please.

I love this new person tournament. Love it. Super loving pumped. I've been wanting them to debut more PC and indie people and this is a perfect way to do it. We've got a Dusty Classic for tag teams and the Mae Young Classic for women. A basic one-off tournament is all you need to show off the goods.

As if Yim wasn't already positioned to be the next challenger, they're really hyping her. That's rad as heck. Yim/Shayna would be great because we've already seen it be great, and Yim/Io would be great because while I'm still not all in on Yim, Io owns and Yim is clearly talented in her own right. Though I've been thinking about it and I don't think Io should win because she's kind of boring, character wise. She was the MYC loser and then Kairi's friend. Meanwhile Shayna has been the Brock we all wish Brock was. I dunno, either way I'm loving psyched as poo poo for this match next week!!!

I was wondering why people were posting Twitter beef between Taynara and Xia, and here we are. Now I get it. Taynara doesn't seem to really be catching on. She's not better from last I remember, and her character work seems to be the wrong kind of cartoonish for the arena. Xia Li is really out here, thooooooo very pumped to seeing more of her and of her progression. I like her finisher, too.

Street Profits next week vs... sigh... Forgotten Sons. Fine. Will we get the "champions get pinned, opponents become #1 contender" thing? Probably. Oooh but maybe TUE shenanigans. OK I'm into the match now.

Oh boy, that main event. I couldn't focus on it for a bit after that failed lionsault by Dream. You can see him panic while trying to cover it up but he did it well. Match was just eh for me, though I do love a good End of Heartache sighting.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I found it really weird that they included the FKA information in the breakout tournament participants. Like, everybody knows these people worked other places under other names but it was sort of jarring to see them outright admit it like that. Especially since in the same episode they debuted Damian Priest with no such acknowledgement of Punishment Martinez.

Also I always laugh when they repackage somebody but don't leave them off TV long enough to get new gear made so they have to wear gear with their old name/gimmick plastered all over it.

I loved Bobby Fish before but goddamn. I have no idea how he kept it together after getting kneed in the face like that.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just caught the takeover from this month. I'm a bit dissapointed in Mauro as of late. Either he's being told to go over the top with his ridiculous comments or someone is directing him to.
Nigel is awesome, Beth is green as hell and talks over everyone.

The matches were great except for Shayna's snorefest with Io.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Regal's accent makes Joaquin Wilde sound like "wacky 'n' wild."

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Erainor posted:

Just caught the takeover from this month. I'm a bit dissapointed in Mauro as of late. Either he's being told to go over the top with his ridiculous comments or someone is directing him to.
Nigel is awesome, Beth is green as hell and talks over everyone.

The matches were great except for Shayna's snorefest with Io.

That's the problem I have with Shayna these days. She's held onto the title for almost an entire year, but ever since she debuted, her matches have been almost exactly the same layout. Joint manipulation -> Babyface makes a comeback -> More joint manipulation -> Babyface makes a second comeback just to banana peel into the Kirifuda. And since Evolution there is nearly a 100% chance that Jessamyn and Marina will show up to interfere, and they just detract from the match even further.

Shayna never looks like she's in any danger of actually losing these days, and pretty much no one comes out of a feud with her looking better. Because she either just outright steamrolls them and kills their momentum, or the babyface ends up bananapeeling and losing a ton of credibility in the process. At this point I would argue Shayna is an active detriment to the NXT Women's Division, booking wise. Every single babyface is fed to her, and no other heels are allowed to outshine her.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Regal's accent makes Joaquin Wilde sound like "wacky 'n' wild."

Gotta get a new wacky guy now that Dean's gone

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.

Lone Goat posted:

Gotta get a new wacky guy now that Dean's gone

Please don't refer to him by his slave name.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
The only problem with Shayna's dominant reign(s) is it came fairly soon after Asuka's dominant reign. It's cool to see those kind of champs, especially in this company, but two in the same division within 3 years makes you wonder if they can book anything else.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Shayna is far less charismatic than Asuka.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

fatherofmustard posted:

Shayna is far less charismatic than Asuka.

strongly disagree

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shayna's back stage interview posted recently was really good.

So of course not a hint of that real person will ever leak through the WWE "It's Good poo poo™" forcefield

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

oldskool posted:

I loved Bobby Fish before but goddamn. I have no idea how he kept it together after getting kneed in the face like that.

From the Wrestling Observer Daily Update today:

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1142227909488324609

Erainor posted:

Personally never been a fan of Mauro's commentary.

Regardless in terms of what you are saying. Mauro himself has been very self-critical about his work and has recently tweeted about it. Has been going through a very hard time mental health wise in the last year or so. Was in a serious car wreck around Christmas time as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DarkstarIV posted:

That's the problem I have with Shayna these days. She's held onto the title for almost an entire year, but ever since she debuted, her matches have been almost exactly the same layout. Joint manipulation -> Babyface makes a comeback -> More joint manipulation -> Babyface makes a second comeback just to banana peel into the Kirifuda. And since Evolution there is nearly a 100% chance that Jessamyn and Marina will show up to interfere, and they just detract from the match even further.

Shayna never looks like she's in any danger of actually losing these days, and pretty much no one comes out of a feud with her looking better. Because she either just outright steamrolls them and kills their momentum, or the babyface ends up bananapeeling and losing a ton of credibility in the process. At this point I would argue Shayna is an active detriment to the NXT Women's Division, booking wise. Every single babyface is fed to her, and no other heels are allowed to outshine her.

Bianca was ready and had a window for them to pull the trigger on, and they squandered it.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Tonight I learned Keith Lee can take a Canadian destroyer

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/GREATBLACKOTAKU/status/1142174031921238016

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
What is EVA?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Dr. Baker posted:

What is EVA?

A character from MGS3

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What the gently caress does Eva have to do with... Like, literally anything?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Dr. Baker posted:

What is EVA?

I guess Evangelion. There are people mad about the subs or music or something I dunno. Its real dumb anime bullshit drama.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

shayna is the tomohiro ishii of american womens wrestling

come at me chumps

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

DarkstarIV posted:

I guess Evangelion. There are people mad about the subs or music or something I dunno. Its real dumb anime bullshit drama.

they changed some of the dialogue to be less gay between two characters since the literal translation is ambiguous-ish and the divide is between people who cited that as a moment that helped formulate them as a person coming out and people who feel it doesn’t matter/it’s a proper translation because it’s more literal. At least that’s the overarching argument for that scene in particular, there’s more nuance to it I can’t speak about since I’m straight and there’s also probably more script issues people are upset about

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

There's a new translation that changes a lot of queer stuff in the show, among other things

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

MotU posted:

they changed some of the dialogue to be less gay between two characters since the literal translation is ambiguous-ish and the divide is between people who cited that as a moment that helped formulate them as a person coming out and people who feel it doesn’t matter/it’s a proper translation because it’s more literal. At least that’s the overarching argument for that scene in particular, there’s more nuance to it I can’t speak about since I’m straight and there’s also probably more script issues people are upset about

Ah thanks. I couldn't find much about it online, since its all "oh my god Evangelion is coming to Netflix" and that's about it. I ended up having to google "Evangelion script change" in order to find an actual article on the situation.

Anyways in actual NXT news, a friend went to the Houston house show last night. Man, the lineup on that show was really weak. Apparently the crowd wasn't very alive for most of it, only really waking up when Adam Cole hit a Panama Sunrise on Keith Lee.

Otherwise you had matches like Dan Matha and Riddick Moss vs Matt Riddle/Velveteen Dream, Forgotten Sons vs Street Profits, Reina Gonzalez and Rachael Ellering vs Jessie Kamea and Lacey Lane, Shayna Baszler vs Mia Yim, etc.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 22, 2019

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, they went with a more literal translation but that's the lazy easy way to do translations because you're going to drop the actual meaning and end up with stuff that just sounds weird in English. The gay thing is that they changed a line from "I love you" to "I like you". It's still an acceptable translation but it doesn't make sense in the context of the scene.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DarkstarIV posted:

Otherwise you had matches like Dan Matha and Riddick Moss vs Matt Riddle/Velveteen Dream, Forgotten Sons vs Street Profits, Reina Gonzalez and Rachael Ellering vs Jessie Kamea and Lacey Lane, Shayna Baszler vs Mia Yim, etc.
That sounds like a good card

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

brian posted:

shayna is the Timothy Thatcher of american womens wrestling

come at me chumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

That sounds like a good card

As someone else that was there it was a good card and got a person I was with who had never watched live wrestling to mark out constantly. Trevor Lee vs. ACH kicked rear end and Kona Reeves had a really fun match with Kushida.