Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I fully expect Gargano to be the inverse-Elias. What gets over big in NXT and what gets over on Raw/SD have so far mostly been two separate things. Being able to wrestle real good doesn't get you as much screen time as being able to recite 15 minutes of script at the start of a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
HHH could do a helluva accurate cosplay of new Kratos.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Lacey is garbage so I'm okay with her having a garbage finisher, instead of having a good one somebody else could put to better use.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I want to see a feud based on Otis and Rhyno trying to walk past each other in a narrow corridor.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I like her gimmick only because I can't think of a bigger car crash than Michael Cole yelling about influencers and how pissy Ziggler will be if she's successful.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Lacey's ratchet.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
NXT is allowed to be a loss leader as it serves a purpose other than just making money. It also only has to be 45 minutes (+ads). Raw and SD do not have either of those luxuries and inherently have to play to a different audience and dilute the content further, regardless of who is in charge.

I do think HHH will be better than Vince, but it won't be a night-and-day change and it won't mean Raw will be anything like NXT. They will always be different shows with different requirements and intentions.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Dakota is Bayley v2, and her losing is fine.

Lacey is some Mojo-level bollocks and shouldn't be on TV, period.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I've not gotten any entertainment out of anything Kona has done yet, and I'm tempted to say he should just be given the Dana Brooke treatment and moved to permanent comedy jobber, but I also remember saying the same thing about Elias. Enough people now have been great in NXT then stumbled on Raw/SD or vice-versa that I no longer feel confident judging anybody's ability.

Kona sucks on NXT but that just means he has an above-average chance of being a big player on the main shows.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

CarlCX posted:

It's not just striking when the iron is cold, it's beating the ground and swearing there's an anvil there.
Well, the Anvil is in the ground.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

rovert posted:

Vince never got Daffney (of WCW fame).
Vince didn't even get Asian women; the list of things Vince doesn't get is so long it loses all meaning.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Okay, now I've got to hear Vince's hot takes on cats. Is this why Natalya doesn't get a title push?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I'm more worried about people being rushed onto TV before they can safely work, rather than how strong or weak someone may be booked. Io will do well in NXT and still be fine on the main roster; worst case she just becomes a bit wasted. But the 4HW, eh. I'd trust Shayna and Ronda to not drop me, but not the other two.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Sorry, literally just a typo you caught in the 5 seconds it was there before I noticed myself and corrected it.

Any word on what they're doing character-wise, or are they just silent enforcers for Shayna? I realise this may be hoping for too much, but if someone sucks in the ring then at least they can usually just get the basics down for safety and smoke & mirrors the rest. (See: Enzo, Carmella.) Can't really do the same for a lack of character or delivery. (See: Big Cass.)

ed: if Bianca doesn't get the title in the next few months, I riot.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Give it five years (and no major injuries, avoiding lovely writing, not being booked as a comedy jobber, etc) and Dream will be headlining PPVs regularly. Dude's the most all-round compelling performer WWE has.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
No, no, it's okay, I have a great eye for these things. I mean, the last person I backed to be a big star was Bayl- oh. Well, before that I definitely picked a winner in Tyler Br- gently caress.

... The Revival could still be good, right? Right? :(

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

rovert posted:

After this week's episode, I noticed there has been a lot of talk about Otis and Montez Ford being "held back" basically.
As I was watching I thought to myself "Angelo does not deserve Montez" and later "Tucker Knight is holding back Otis". Which is probably an unfair way to look at the situation, but either way, Otis and Montez are good enough and deserve pushes that their tag team partners do not.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
A muscular blonde who lives her outdated right-wing gimmick is pretty much the only thing that could dethrone Charlotte from the top spot; get Lacey another boob job and I'm sure Vince'll put her over Roman.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I rolled my eyes at the guy who said he wasn't about being paid big money in front of millions, he was about "telling stories". I don't mind them leaning into the quasi-indie thing a little bit, but that shouldn't be anyone's opening gambit.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Uncle Ulty posted:

There seems to be a big focus on Zack Gibson and shoes. Is this a UK cultural thing? Some kind of insult that I'm not aware of here in the US? Google has been no help so far.
"If you hate Gibson, shoes off" was chanted at him during the second NXT UK title tournament. It's a rare but not unheard of football (soccer) chant. The format is usually "shoes off, if you hate [team]" and is normally done to the tune of Village People's 'Go West'; it did originally start as "shoes off, if you love [team]", but of course that's not as fun. I believe that started simply because shoes are the one thing everyone is guaranteed to have on them and be able to wave in the air, though I'm not entirely sure. The NXT crowd started with "if you hate Gibson, stand up", followed by "if you hate Gibson, sit down", and lastly they used "if you hate Gibson, shoes off" in the same tune as the other two. That's the one that stuck.

I'm a little disappointed the "same old Scousers; always cheating" chant didn't catch on.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
We're far too sophisticated to throw dildos.

We prefer chucking bottles of piss.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Veryslightlymad posted:

I will say that this finisher of hers is so much better than her tiger driver finisher, and she actually gets leverage on her pin this way, which is nice.
Well say goodbye to it 'cause these were taped before she switched to the tiger driver. I assume she first opted for this neckbreaker thing as a replacement for her outside-WWE piledriver, then swapped that for the tiger driver 'cause it's a more standard and flexible finish for WWE's style.

I've been going back through some older (pre-WWE) highlights of hers here and there, and she really is like an entirely different person, or different character at the least. Doesn't make her less uninteresting now, but you can at least be sure it's the booking/production/match layout of WWE that is to blame, not the performer. (See also: oh, er, everyone.)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Pete Dunn I can absolutely see going up to 205; he already pinned Enzo on Raw while Enzo was the cruiserweight champion and he spends enough time on 'proper' NXT. Someone like Zack Gibson, too, I could see moving over to the US shows if they think the absurd crowd response would follow him. I fully expect any and all of the women to end up on Raw/SD eventually, too, especially given that half the UK women's division aren't from the UK to begin with.

But yeah there's no chance someone like Dave Mastiff is ever going to be locking up with Seth Rollins on Raw.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I hope Rhea isn't fast tracked to Raw/SD, because I like her very much and I'd rather not see her concussed into retirement before she's 25.

I'm sure if someone could convince Toni to get an outsized boob job, Vince would sacrifice her at the alter of Ronda & Nia instead.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Rhea's new music isn't as good as her previous one. I may be imagining things but I think they changed Toni's music, too.

I'd be lying if I said I could recall any other match on the Takeover card, but I'm down to see those two fight. Rhea is very much my jam in every single way and Toni can really go when she wants/is allowed. (Whichever is appropriate for WWE; I don't know if she's been half-arsing it entirely by herself or if NXT producers have told her to rein it in.)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Give everything to Velveteen Dream.

Everything.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I'll be shocked if any of the FutureForgotten Sons are even employed this time next year.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 3, 2019

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

DarkstarIV posted:

Do you mean the Forgotten Sons?
Yes. Whoops.

Well, hell, if anything that's a perfect demonstration of how utterly inane and worthless they are.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There are 'problems' with NXT UK (i.e. WWE pissing off a lot of the people who self-proclaim to be the biggest and most important audience) and there are problems with NXT UK (i.e. all of the men being completely interchangeable except for the jobbers, who somewhat ironically are the only people with distinguishable personalities; everybody playing to the hard camera on the ramp with their backs to the audience at all times).

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
That's Charlotte. Quite why they flew over her and not say, Paige, I've no idea.

I like to think they didn't put Rhea in the ring 'cause having her between Pete Dunn and Charlotte Flair would have caused some kind of Thing/Time Cop-style incomprehensible monstrosity.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I expected them to do gently caress-all, like The Ascension. I wasn't expecting them to become a deranged caveman and his handler.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Draxion posted:

Kacy's definitely cool but man Rhea is just an incredible base.
She's going to have a tough time doing that kind of thing with anyone who isn't Rhea, Bianca or Charlotte. It's nice Kacy can do all these spins and flips but she better figure out some material to use when she's wrestling the typical 5'5" 120lb women who make up the majority of the roster. (Not to mention the likes of Nia.)

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
It's Primark Princess. Primark is a chain of lower-cost clothing stores with a (somewhat exaggerated) reputation for being trashy and outdated. These crowds aren't very self-aware, using it as an insult, as the average wrestling shirt is likely made in the same sweatshops as Primark's clothes. Primark is exactly the kind of place that would license wrestling shirts (if they didn't already hold the more worthwhile Disney licence) and marketing execs would expect wrestling fans to shop at.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Can't wait to see him team up with Jose on Main Event.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Tamina is a bit of a special case because being second-generation triples your value to WWE management. She was also introduced before NXT was what it is today and back when WWE's standards for women were still considerably lower; I'm pretty confident if she had no family ties she wouldn't have ever been signed at all and even if she was, if she were signed nowadays she'd be stuck in NXT developmental hell for just as long as the likes of Wesley and Aaliyah.

Beyond her lack of wrestling ability, I'm not seeing Aaliyah's "charisma" at all. She's extremely stilted and manufactured. She comes off as a babbling rookie the moment she opens her mouth and has the physical presence of a one-off Z-list celebrity appearance; even Dana Brooke carries herself with more conviction than Aaliyah.
If The Rock is a 10 on the charisma scale and Dean Malenko is a 0, Aaliyah is somewhere around a 1.5; maybe a 2 on her better appearances. After four years (or close enough) in NXT, plus whatever time she spent on the indies, she shouldn't still be this limp and gormless. If this is her charismatic upside then by god, Shane McMahon is Marlon Brando.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I like that he does the double axe handle. His wrestling is pure Wrestling as I remember growing up with. I will sincerely take Dream over any of his 'superiors'; I've enjoyed his matches more than any other man's in NXT.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The worst pain I've ever felt was a steiner recliner and not only did he really sit down and wrench back on it but the bastard kid did not let go when I tapped. Scorpion Death Lock (yeah, we were a WCW crowd) was the second-worst. Since I was the tallest of our schoolyard wrestling league, I got to be lazy and skip doing the technical stuff myself; I used a sidewalk slam followed by a good ol' leg drop.

On an unrelated note, my hips and lower vertebrae have been extremely hosed up for the last twenty years. No idea what could have possibly caused it.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

rovert posted:

In other news NXT is running their own Fight Club

https://twitter.com/FightfulWrestle/status/1100879521186643969
Jessamyn is what, 3 wins to 6 losses in MMA, 5 of which were in a row? Meanwhile, this other lady

quote:

competed in the 2014 Abu Dhabi World Pro Championships where she'd earn a silver medal.
Letting an actual fight happen in the PC would be dumb anyway, but I have to imagine Jessamyn would get creamed in this instance if it did.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

rovert posted:

On NXT UK this week
Viper, Rhea, and Jazzy should form a monster stable and steamroll everyone. Everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
For those who can't see the video (seems it's been deleted off Twitch), the stream was running a thing where if somebody donated $15 they would get insulted in 'Australian'. Thus Rhea dropped "y'know you're a loving c*** [something mumbled] you stupid motherfucking f*****, gently caress you."

Now, she did jump to apologise for it immediately. Unfortunately her apology is the standard Twitch/YouTube/Hogan "I'm sorry I did it on camera and forgot some of you don't like it" kind of deal.

https://twitter.com/RheaRipley_WWE/status/1121283042415403010?s=20

I'd be lying if I said I was really angry about this 'cause if I was going to bet on which wrestler was most likely to say something really stupid and not realise why they shouldn't, the young Australian jock would definitely be a front runner. And I've come to expect this kind of thing from wrestlers as a whole, especially since Hogan started showing up again like nothing happened. I'm not sure there is much any wrestler could say now that would actually surprise me.
I also admit Rhea is/was my favourite and so I want to give her the benefit of doubt and say it's a Hanlon's razor situation, even though I know I wouldn't if a different wrestler said the same thing.
But still, I find myself continuously exasperated that WWE seemingly does not prioritise teaching people to not say/do these things. Even if they didn't do it to be better people and it was only for the cynical sake of saving the company from negative press, you'd still think the first thing WWE would drill into your head when you sign up is "don't say these words you stupid hick". Or, hell, at least teach them how to write better apologies.