Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's the first double five star match card ever, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
NXT doesn't have any five star matches, starts pushing Gargano and Cole and suddenly has three of them. Hmmmmm.

This Rebel Heart, Bay Bay.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 13, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Do we just start referring to Gargano as Johnny Five-Star from here on out?

Five-Star Lord.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Johnny Wrestling is just something that screams merch goldmine to me but I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up and two years from now people in the WWE Discussion thread will be calling him a no charisma midget or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kaveman posted:

Johnny Gargano will be a great cruiserweight champion.

If you asked me a week ago, I would've been major up for that but now I'm pretty sure that all of the Cruiserweight matches on the PPVs are gonna stink, at least relative to the 205 Live matches.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

EC3 left Impact and immediately became a 5 star wrestler.

By getting the poo poo kicked out of him for half an hour. Square peg, meet square hole.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Bayley once talked about drawing inspiration from the new Wonder Woman movie about an hour before she proved herself unable to swing a wooden sword at somebody. That was like literally the one thing in that movie that applied to the situation Bayley was in at the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Wonder Woman only strikes men in that movie.

Oh poo poo, the only time she's about to hit a woman in that movie, she chokes, doesn't she.

rovert posted:

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/984948811746500608

Meltzer pretty much has the story. His age/maturity is a big concern. But high level people want to throw him in the deep end.

I mean, if they Kevin Owens it and send him STRAIGHT into a feud with a top guy, it could work, but if they half-rear end it and put him with Dolph, he'll just flounder.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I feel similarly about AoP. I thought those guys should've held the belts for a year before they even THOUGHT about bringing them up. I know they pretty much had nothing left to do in NXT, but I still feel like it was a little early for them.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Davros1 posted:

"had nothing left to do" describes most of the WWE's main roster. Daniel Bryan has:

held the World Heavyweight Title
held the WWE Heavyweight Title
held the Intercontinental Title
held the United States Title
held the Tag Team Title
won Money in the Bank
main evented Wrestlemania.

Technically, he should leave since there's nothing left for him to do.

I mean, yeah, he should leave, but for different reasons.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
What was the episode where Black called Velveteen Patrick?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dream and Black is just a feud that worked on every level, from the promos to the work to the booking. It's NXT in its purest form. Put your guys in a position to succeed and let them make magic.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Nikki Cross is staying behind to beat Shayna Baszler, duh.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

Nikki Cross was the heart of Sanity, COMPLETELY changed herself in NXT look, persona and offense, especially liked and is a super interesting Takeover opponent for Shayna.

Be more concerned for the main roster Sanity than Nikki.

Sanity are guys who are just kinda there on TV and then go all loving out on the Takeovers. I am extremely concerned for them on the main roster.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dain ain't a heel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

I don’t know if Sanity are really heels anymore. Probably not since TUE attacked them.

Them and AoP basically turned each other from out-and-out heels to both just being grey area angry murder factions. Up against slimy heels like TUE, that makes you a face. On the main roster, they're probably both heels again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Liquid Communism posted:

Dain's Irish. In WWE terms, that means his alignment is 'assbeating'.

There's a Finn Balor joke to be made here. I won't be the one to make it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno, I think Ciampa's jumped the shark for me a bit. Continuing to run this out is probably gonna lead to diminishing returns.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I'm just gonna lay out every reason why that finish to Gargano/Ciampa didn't work for me.

- At the time I was wondering where the gently caress the ref was. Apparently Johnny shoved him down when he went to grab Ciampa's stretcher, which, doesn't really make it any better. The ref gets shoved and he's down for what felt like five minutes while Gargano drags Ciampa back to the ring, Ciampa taps out twice and the ref's not around for any of it and then he teleports into the ring just in time for that DDT. I think ref bumps where the ref gets grazed and then he's out for the next 48 hours so the heel can visually be pinned/submitted and then the ref can show up just in time for the heel to BS out the win are super loving played out and tedious. They're the kind of lazy booking crutch used in a Miz IC Title match in the second hour of Raw and NXT going to that well for the main event of a Takeover is extremely disappointing. There were other ways to get to the same point storywise and a ref bump and a visual submission was not it.

- Getting to the point where the geeks in suits are pulling Gargano off is super contrived. The match should've been waved off when they put Ciampa in the stretcher, like they did in the Kane/Strowman match when Strowman dumped the stage on Kane. The match should've been waved off when Ciampa was handcuffed and in Gargano's finisher and tapping out. The match should've been waved off when Gargano was being pulled off of Ciampa, twice. The match continuing through all of this just to get to the point where the ref has to go "welp I guess I gotta count now! :saddowns:" after the DDT when Ciampa was literally being taken out of the building on a stretcher a few minutes ago is ridiculous.

- It should not have gone on last. Gargano/Ciampa I had a reason to go on last. This one had nothing on the line and nothing about the finish was "You gotta end the PPV on this moment!" I guess Ciampa tore up the canvas pretty bad, but there's no reason they couldn't just fix it or Black and Sullivan couldn't just deal with it or even incorporate it into their match (Alberto and Cena did this a few years ago when the ring was broken). This is just actively devaluing Black's title reign at this point. Also, I really hate gently caress finishes in main events and NXT is usually better than that. Samoa Joe didn't beat the Demon in a gently caress finish. Roode didn't win the belt from Nakamura off of a gently caress finish. Almas and Gargano kept going after Vega was eliminated from the match and it was basically a clean finish.

Like, I like the story here. Ciampa wants to keep Gargano trapped in this hell with him, Gargano had the chance to move on, didn't take it, gave Ciampa what he wanted, was punished for it. That's great. And the match up to that point was loving dynamite. Seven thumbs up. But I dunno. I'm aware I'm in the minority here but IMO NXT sets a higher standard, especially with its main events and that just didn't measure up, in terms of execution.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Ref got shoved into the guard rail off the stage.

tbh, I don't care if Johnny shot him with a bean bag gun. Ref bumps are still dumb and played out.

quote:

Roode won after a lovely injury angle on the knee and teasing the match being called.

I probably should've mentioned Roode retaining against Nakamura rather than the match where he won the belt, because the match where he won the belt was kinda lame in general and the doctors coming out was hokey, but at least the finish was still based entirely on the guys in the ring. Roode didn't win because the doctors dragged Nakamura out of the ring after he'd hit a Kinshasa, Roode won because Nakamura chose to go back in.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Holy poo poo, she's incredible.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I haven't seen Mustache Mountain/TUE yet but boy it better be somethin' if it get 5 when those Revival/DIY matches only got 4.5.

Dogshit Shave Seltzer trying to fix his erroneous errors of the past by making it rain snowflakes on NXT in 2018. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean I guess I can see the principle (that I don't necessarily cling to myself) that the main title always always goes on last no matter what but like, you've the culmination of a two year story, the hottest feud in NXT history, and people wanted Lars vs Black for no reason to go on over that? That's psychotic. Lunatics want that.

1. Ciampa/Gargano shouldn't have main evented because the finish was a joke.
2. Black should have had a better opponent than Lars who clearly was not ready for that position.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And then Black destroys them both and wins. I like it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1027371590047027203

Johnny, you naughty boy. :mad:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

"1% isn't a financial bracket it's a mindset" :laffo: whatever you say dude

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm gonna say it, that finish was some main roster poo poo.

[michael-scott-thank-you-gif]

Screw Johnny having this "arc", dude. Johnny already had an arc where he lost constantly and it lead all the way up to Wrestlemania weekend where he finally got his catharsis by, and this is a huge point, not giving into his anger. He tried to embrace and forgive Ciampa, Ciampa rejected it and Gargano won. And then a week later, Ciampa jumps him again and now he's spent the last five months going backwards from that point.

gently caress these finishes where Johnny loses because of a bunch of geeks in suits or because he slips on a banana peel and blows out his knee. It's not building anticipation for a win, it's just making your most likable babyface look like a complete jackass. And they sacrificed Aleister Black's title reign for this. I can't fuckin' believe it.

fart blood posted:

But that's lazy too.

"I have no evidence but I THINK YOU DID IT!" Okay you just turned Regal heel for no reason and pulled Johnny for no real reason. It's hackneyed.

Wrestling is fake. You can have Regal find evidence that Johnny did it.

Either way, whatever the triple threat was gonna be, they got themselves into this situation by oversaturating the gently caress out of the DIY feud and sacrificing everything else in NXT to it and this is where it got them. Black's injury just accelerated it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No, that finish is straight out of the main roster or fuckin' 2006 TNA. Even if the match up to that point was good, if the finish sucked it sours the whole thing.

And this match wasn't even close to as good as the first. It had some cool spots but it also had a whole lot of loving sitting around doing nothing because LMS is a crap stip and the only people I've seen make something out of it in the last few years are Asuka and Nikki Cross.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

Well I'd tell you to just quit watching WWE and switch to NJPW like I did but whenever I say to stop watching I get scolded soooooo...I don't know what to tell ya! Watch it and hate it, or don't watch it and be happier. It ain't gonna change so :shrug:

I did.

I tuned into Takeover because Takeovers are usually extremely good. And that one was, but the main event can kiss my rear end.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fart blood posted:

So they’ll become friends again for no other reason than “they’re both babyface at the same time”?

Eh, I'll stick up for that in that at least Dean didn't just forget about Seth loving him and Seth did have to earn his trust back.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dr. rear end posted:

Everyone complaining that Gargano was “made to look like an idiot” for acting exactly like his character would given the circumstances are the same people who complained that Peter Quill was “written like an idiot” for attacking Thanos in Infinity War

The ending of that movie was super contrived too, but at least they had the decency to imply it was happening for a reason via Strange.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seriously, if a babyface showed zero growth for two months and lost for the exact same reason in consecutive PPV main events on the main roster, you guys would not be sticking up for it.

Except for Aphrodite, who for some reason really hates competent babyfaces.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TV Zombie posted:

I wonder what people like Aliyah or Brennan Williams are making since they've been in the system before the indy callups to NXT and haven't really done much besides house shows. Does bobby roode really have options

Bobby Roode was a pushed guy in Impact for a long time, right? At the very least I'm sure they'd take him back and you can probably make okay money there right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Not doing Team Gargano vs. Team Ciampa strikes me as, uh, stupid.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RealFoxy posted:

Who would want to get sucked into these two dumb idiots doing dumb idiot stuff for no reason

Three tables: Team Black, Team Gargano and Team Ciampa.

Team Black has a line going around the block.
Team Ciampa has Moss and Sabitelli at it.
Team Gargano is empty but at least it doesn't have Moss and Sabitelli.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

The three way War Games format just feels too muddled for me. Maybe it made sense the first time and maybe it makes sense this time. I don't watch so I can't say. It just feels less like a grudge match and more like filling spots.

It really didn't. You had the hilarious alignment of Authors of Pain and Roderick Strong jammed into it to make the three-way thing work so Roderick Strong came out dressed as a mini AoP.

Match was still fun. But I would've vastly preferred a 5v5.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MotU posted:

i want BSS in a wargames so bad because goddang do i love watching all 3 of them (but dunne the most)

BSS vs. PSP in a WarGames match.

rovert posted:

Wait for the tapings to play out tomorrow and air in the next 4 weeks.

But along with Nikki Cross and Shayna call up wise there's TALK an EC3 call-up & Roode tag team - making up for each other shortcomings. But the most recently there's chatter that Lars is being called up next week.

EC3 is fine, he's been around the block, but boy oh boy is calling Lars up now a bad idea.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

On Lars, he was in NXT during the Owens, Balor, Sasha era. Strowman was a contemporary and he was thrown into the deep end and swam.

WWE Creative is what it is obviously.

If they take care of Lars the way they took care of Strowman (good opponents, big strongman stunts, smoke and mirrors in the matches), hopefully he'll be okay. The guy looks loving awesome and has an innate ugly charisma that's pretty cool. It'd be cool to see him monster around on SmackDown, I guess.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The division was pretty thin when Asuka was on top because the draft and call ups had stripped it. For a long time it was just her, Nikki and Ember. Kinda wish we could've seen Asuka in NXT against people like Shayna, Kairi, Bianca, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Anybody know the exact times in NXT where Asuka did a promo that was just "shouts at her opponent in Japanese"?