Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

fart blood posted:

Isn’t that the dude that had a domestic dispute with Charlotte Flair or am I thinking of a different guy?

Different guy. Charlotte only had domestics with her first husband; you're probably thinking of her second husband Bram who also got arrested for domestic violence but that was after they divorced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

I guess we all missed it because none of us watch Raw any more but last night they confirmed the November Takeover will see the return of War Games :getin:

I'm so mad about this, because I try not to fly down to LA more than once a year and we're already going to Universal for Halloween but Ricochet might do a half-gainer onto Aleister Black off a cage and then they might kiss.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The problem with Lacey is not at all Lacey as a talent or even her own character work, it's the way her character keeps inexplicably getting hosed with. First she was a generic babyface, then she was an all-American military mom, then she was a sort of 1940s throwback, then she was a southern belle, then she was a horrifying racist heel, then they stepped back from that and made her just kind of a jerk who didn't talk about any of that poo poo, and now she's a quasi-bigoted southern belle cowardly heel who's also a military mom and a super-tough asskicker.

And that's all in like one year. It's goddamn impossible for her to not be inconsistent.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

rovert posted:

Someone told me Marina in MMA was well known for having very bad cardio. But obviously you can pace Wrestling matches and she's under the Performance Center fitness programme.

Marina's longest professional fight lasted less than two minutes and the others were her getting knocked the gently caress out in like thirty seconds, so I don't know if that tracks.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Spoilering just in case, I still think this is going to be kind of a dud, because one side is four women we have watched for years and are extremely familiar with (and who, for the moment, are all faces), while the other is a newly-arrived main roster part-timer face, an NXT mega-heel, and two women that 90% of the viewing audience (myself included) will have never seen before and probably can't even name. Like at some point Jessamyn Duke and the other one whose name I can never remember are going to have to get on the mic in the build, or else it really does come across as "two stars and their friends."

On the ongoing maybe-spoiler: It's extra-baffling because the FOUR HORSEWOMEN OF MMA was barely even a real thing. It was a tag they used for social media posts and their own bullshit, but during that time the non-Rousey horsewomen went a combined 2-11 and no one outside of super-hardcore MMA fans knew who they were or gave a poo poo about them. Shayna Baszler is more notable now than her UFC tenure. Hell, Marina Shafir probably had more eyes on her from those few weeks of showing up in NXT promos with Roddy than her entire MMA career. It's not just striking when the iron is cold, it's beating the ground and swearing there's an anvil there.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheCool69 posted:

well.. they were pretty important on the build up to Ronda vs Bethe Correia.

the only reason she got the Ronda fight was because she beat the other horsewomen and called Ronda out on it.

they were each highlighted on the hypevideos and mentioned multiple times on the broadcast it self..

I mean, yeah, they were background characters in the hype video for the Bethe fight and then never won a fight nor were ever mentioned again. Bethe telling Ronda she hoped she didn't kill herself got more attention than the horsewomen did.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have front row seats at that show and I feel like I need to go in fancy clothes for the hard cam now.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Auritech posted:

Kyle O'Reilly continues to be a treasure. There was one hit he sold with cartoonishly wobbly legs and his pin attempt at the end was adorable.

After watching wrestling together for a decade the girlfriend and I have never disagreed on anything as much as how awesome Kyle O'Reilly and his oversells are, and I wish she wasn't so wrong.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

NXT San Jose was amazing and I cannot overstate how great Velveteen Dream is right now. The first time they were at SJSU in 2016 he was curtain-jerking as Patrick Clark, The Guy Who Flounces A Tiny Bit and Makes Prince References, so seeing him come back as by far the most over wrestler on the roster and the guy closing the show was kind of fantastic.

Kairi Sane high-fived my girlfriend and gave her a shirt and I was briefly in a bathroom with Dave Meltzer, so I feel our brushes with greatness are equivalent.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

I forgot that NXTs after a takeover are useless and about 40+ minutes of recap, which makes less then zero goddamn sense. Am I missing something? Isn't the only way to watch both NXT and NXT Takeover to have the Network?

There's a lot of inexplicable brand-advertising like that. One of the weirdest parts of being at the NXT San Jose show was the at least half-dozen times they paused the show to do lengthy plugs for why you should subscribe to the WWE Network. I am still trying to figure out who exactly it is that's buying tickets to go see the house show of the brand you can only watch on the network that isn't already subscribed to it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

There really wasn't any reason they shouldn't have succeeded, aside from some bad injury timing and getting booking-handicapped repeatedly for some reason.

TM61 is also still a straight up Chilly McFreeze-tier gimmick name.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They didn't capitalize on them in any way. Like, they didn't wow in some of their appearances and that's unfortunate, but at the same time their logline in NXT was, what:
  • get a lot of internet hype, then debut in an immediate loss to DIY with the worst tag team name since Tekno Team 2000
  • beat jobbers but lose to The Revival and The Authors of Pain, after which they swore they'd win the Dusty Rhodes Classic to prove how great they were
  • lose the Dusty Rhodes Classic to the Authors of Pain, get beat by DIY again
  • off TV for an entire year because Thorne's knee exploded
  • get like an entire month of hype packages for their return and vow to show everyone how great they really are by winning the Dusty Rhodes Classic for real this time
  • get eliminated, immediately, by the Authors of Pain, again
  • off TV for two months, and upon returning turn heel, for some reason
  • change their name, announcing to the world that they will finally show everyone, for real this time, how good they are, again
  • immediately lose, repeatedly, to Heavy Machinery and the Street Profits
  • off TV for two months, spend the rest of their NXT tenure losing to the Street Profits and Oney and Twoey, Miller gets canned
There's criticism to be made of them for not completely nailing what opportunities they were given, but they got booked incredibly weakly almost from the start, and when you repeatedly tell the audience "these are the guys you should care about!" only to smash them all over again you're going to make them completely apathetic.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Any of y'all been to an NXT live show? Just bought tickets, hoping to see Kairi Sane and no one else.

Two. Both were amazing, and sometimes you get insane things like Shinsuke Nakamura wrestling in front of like 200 people at a college event center, but it's my understanding that sometimes you get boned by a bad touring group and wind up with Main Event Kona Reeves.

I am personally there whenever possible in the bay area.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Rhea is gonna be a huge loving star

Rhea, Kairi and Io should all be serious loving stars, and Kacy has a ton of promise. I hope to god by the time Rhea is fully ready to be one of the biggest things in the WWE they've figured out how to deal with their glut of talent, because at this point the NXT pipeline is basically a firehose.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

KingNastidon posted:

It's sad they can pull off such a fun match in a low-fi halftime special yet RR/WM matches largely come off as underwhelming

it's because NXT is the goddamn best and still has the freedom to agent things to be fun

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I liked the cloverleaf because I was a Dean Malenko mark. As it turns out, it also sucks.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MotU posted:

dean malenko isnt even a dean malenko mark you were some boring rear end kid drat

I owned a boxed copy of Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday and a Sephiroth wallscroll, my lack of coolness was enshrined long before Dean Malenko entered my life

pressedbunny posted:

The worst pain I've ever felt was a steiner recliner and not only did he really sit down and wrench back on it but the bastard kid did not let go when I tapped. Scorpion Death Lock (yeah, we were a WCW crowd) was the second-worst. Since I was the tallest of our schoolyard wrestling league, I got to be lazy and skip doing the technical stuff myself; I used a sidewalk slam followed by a good ol' leg drop.

On an unrelated note, my hips and lower vertebrae have been extremely hosed up for the last twenty years. No idea what could have possibly caused it.

A friend of mine busted three teeth and fractured his jaw doing a diamond cutter in the schoolyard. He was not receiving it, he was doing it, and in the process he somehow turned and slammed himself facefirst into pavement. Kids are loving dumb.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

Vanessa Borne's offense was so insanely slow in that match, I'm not sure how anything is supposed to hurt her opponent.

I'm normally all on board for performers and their potential but I have heard a bunch of people talk about her potential over the last two years and I really, extremely do not see it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Man. That's deeply exciting because the SJSU house shows have been great and a Takeover in my vicinity would be amazing, but that'd be way, way less attendance than they're used to. They've been doing Takeovers in giant arenas and I'm pretty sure SJSU tops out at like 5000.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rarity posted:

Stop trying to make Forgotten Sons happen, NXT. They're not going to happen.

Street Profits could happen if you ever gave a drat about them though :sigh:

The way they keep going "no, for real, you should care about the Street Profits now!" only to immediately cut them down reminds me a whole lot of how they ran The Mighty straight into the ground and it really bums me the gently caress out.

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I know this kind of question seems flippant and condescending online, but I am genuinely curious: why do people like the Street Profits? I love their gimmick and them in general, but in ring they leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. One shows nothing in the ring and the other has infinite potential but is still super raw. I felt they dragged down MM.

Mileage always varies, but for me it's two things. For one, Montez Ford is loving great. I think "raw" sells him short; he's not a technical mastermind or anything but he's a charisma machine who does really impressive things and is one of the best on the roster at emoting and drawing you into his matches.

For two, as a team, they're better than the sum of their parts. No one's gonna say Dawkins is great, he tops out at "okay at best" and Ford is clearly the better of the two, but they have chemistry enough with one another that despite the gulf between them they still feel like a credible team who are working off of one another.

Like, Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner are both fantastic wrestlers who are individually better, more well-rounded performers than Ford or Dawkins, but they don't feel like much of a team--they feel like Marcel Barthel and Fabian Aichner happen to be sharing the ring and wrestling together and every once in awhile they do a double-team. The Forgotten Sons are bad performers with a bad gimmick AND they have no chemistry as a tag team, which is why they're a vacuum of interest when they're on-screen. The Street Profits act and perform like a cohesive unit that believably belong together, and more than technical skill, that's the biggest thing that separates a good tag team from a bad tag team.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly as much as I dislike the Forgotten Sons gimmick, they aren't the worst tag team I've seen in NXT and I think they have decent chemistry/moves.

Yeah, I hadn’t watched this week’s episode yet and felt bad about my earlier post afterward. The gimmick is still awful, but Cutler and Blake are trying real, real hard.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

They suck comparatively IMO

The tag teams that actually don’t get on TV on either NXT or the main roster are way more awful

The teams that currently don't get real airtime are, uh, Sanity, Gallows and Anderson, the Singh Brothers, Slater and Rhyno, the B-Team, the Colons and Moss and Sabbatelli

and out of those I'll give you The B-Team aren't particularly great in-ring but are fun personalities and Moss/Sabbatelli are just generally bad, but otherwise none of those teams are worse than The Forgotten Sons.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

On the one hand, I'm sure getting signed by WWE was a dream for the Singhs, but on the other, I have no clue how guys their size look at those contracts and think "well, I'm sure I'll get a nice push and be able to get myself over" given the company's history if you're not named Rey Mysterio. (And sometimes even if you are)

I mean, they got signed for the Cruiserweight Classic/205 Live where they're actually slightly bigger than like half the roster so I don't know that their expectations were particularly misaligned, it's just the WWE went 'what if, instead of what we hired you for, you became nonwrestling valets for this other dude because all three of you are Indian'

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lance Storm used a rolling single-leg crab as a finisher in WCW and the WWF, so definitely some people, at least.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have trouble seeing the War Raiders not ending up feuding with, like, the Undisputed Era yet again. The tag division's in a really weird spot right now:
  • The War Raiders are awesome monster champions no one can beat
  • The Undisputed Era are by far the top heels, but also sort of spinning their wheels because they did everything already including the War Raiders beating the gently caress out of them
  • The Forgotten Sons are being pushed pretty hard and the crowd just does not care
  • The Street Profits are in that The Mighty slot of getting repeatedly punked out for no apparent reason
  • Oney and Burch are real good but if they didn't really care about them enough to push them before I can't imagine they'll do so now that Oney's half-timing with 205
  • There are really good teams like Moustache Mountain and the European Union that have to also be devoted to NXT UK so you can't really use them
  • you could bring back Moss and Sabbatelli, I guess
Like, if they had gotten serious about Oney/Burch or The Street Profits you could have a real good up-and-coming team to challenge right about now, but the only new team they've really thrown their weight behind are the Forgotten Sons, and that seems to not be going over all that well. So either it's them, or it's the Undisputed Era yet again, or they've gotta start pushing someone else immediately if they want them to be ready.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They get loud "we forgot you chants", which means they're over on some level. Silence is not caring.

I mean, they got that chant awhile ago and have since wrestled weeks of matches in primarily abject silence. In their biggest, most high-profile match ever, while they were supposed to be getting heat and looking like effective heels, the audience was amusing itself by repeatedly chanting Aleister Black's name to the tune of the theme song from The Addams Family. If there was heat, it didn't stick.

I dunno, I feel like the "any heat is good heat" thing works on the main roster but not so much on NXT. A huge part of NXT's success is the very direct relationship it has with (read as: its incredibly effective manipulation of) its audience; its fanbase is gung-ho for the majority of things they do, and that's deeply important because there's so much less of NXT and successful acts usually have to fill more space, so that "this sucks" heat is harder to parley into something useful. On the main roster it's easier to parse the presence of a reaction as success because having 30 people on a show means having to do your thing and get out within a couple of minutes. When you do that in NXT, you get a pithy chant once or twice and then people go back to not caring.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It’s pretty cool they took the ethical dilemma of giving them tons of money for San Jose tickets away from me.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The real hilarious part isn't that they named him Rik Bugez, it's that they also appear to have taken away all of his visual features:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Wazzu posted:

I mean NXT has repeated main event feuds for years, I'm surprised it's only getting to him now. Outside circumstances created Gargano-Ciampa 3, but Joe and Nakamura, Nakamura and Roode, Joe and Finn all went back to back for too long IMO.

Some part of it is definitely the presence of AEW having a chilling effect on the good will towards NXT as the only big-budget WWE alternative, but I think there's also something to be said for how the undercards have suffered and how that makes the repetition in the main event feel worse. Like, if you look at the cards under the Joe and Nakamura championship matches you had The Revival/DIY being the hottest thing, and Asuka's championship reign was still relatively fresh, and the rise of acts like the Authors of Pain and Bobby Roode and Ember Moon.

Takeover Toronto has another Shayna title match that everyone has been sort of tired of for a year, a Dream/Roddy/Dunne match that was thrown together randomly in a couple weeks and a tag rematch between the Street Profits and the Undisputed Era that is predicated on "we're the Undisputed Era so we get a tag title shot, I guess" and is handicapped by the Profits having their feet half out the door on Raw when they, themselves, were supposed to be rebuilding a tag division that had been hosed up by the active champions being yanked away for Raw. Even Candice and Io feels like a weird build thanks to the abrupt generation of a blood feud between two characters who had never really been connected.

Like, the only person on this card who actually has the chance to benefit from a storyline that propels them upward as a character is Mia if they pull the trigger on her. Everyone else is just sort of shuffling laterally.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DarkstarIV posted:

I think Io could move upwards if she wins against Candice. She's already significantly more interesting than Shayna just because at least we don't have to hear the same promo about reality every other week.

See, this is part of the problem for me: The momentum's all hosed up. It doesn't feel like Io will build and advance if she beats Candice because she's already wrestled for the women's championship three times in 2019. It feels more like wrestling Candice is pulling her down for a retooling before she goes back to where she already was, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing or even necessarily bad booking, the heel turn's working out great for her, but in the context of the rest of the Takeover card it doesn't help my feeling that no one's really moving up.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This adds to and lends credibility to a heel turn. She blew it three times. Like, specifically, blew it like a real dummy. Lost to someone who knows Io is better and still got outsmarted. But if a complete change in attitude works, you have yourself a monster heel who will never be happy.

That also sets up either Candace or whoever they decide to build next to take the title off Io after a decent length run. At least 2 retaining matches at Takeover.

Oh, absolutely. Like I said, it's not bad booking, it works really well for her heel turn and they pulled it off extremely well given the way Kairi got yanked out from under them. I brought it up specifically re: Darkstar's post about Io also being on her way up on the card; I don't get any of the "watching someone on their way up" joy because Io's already been main eventing. The appeal of watching someone work their way up the ranks is a big part of what I like about wrestling in the longterm, and that's why even though Mia's angle isn't going as well as Io's I still feel invested in it because this is someone who's gradually moved up the card over the course of the year getting their shot at the bigtime as opposed to someone who's already been there for a long while.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Please be pleasantly surprising and have Keith Lee win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This feels like it kinda fell apart a little.