Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was

so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Director: John Krasinski (Jim from The Office!)
Starring: John Krasinski
Written By: John Krasinski
Sound: John Krasinski
CGI: John Krasinski
Produced By: John Krasinski
Distributed By: John Krasinski

gently caress. I wanted to like this movie SO bad. I read some reviews, saw a few trailers, talked about it with my fiancee (who is also a huge fan of The Office) and generally was excited because the twist on standard horror sounded right up my alley: the Aliens can't see, they track by their ridiculously sensitive hearing. Interesting enough, I'm not a huge fan of CGI anyways and love a good survival story. Game on.

A bunch of the reviews talked about how ingenious this plot twist was, how impacting it ends up being on the audience, and how scary the movie is ('On the edge of your seat the whole time!' 'The audience screams as one!' 'Things you don't see coming!') A bunch of them also said that, while there were some minor annoyances and hiccups, the overall film more than made up for it.

Nope, not even close.

Get Out, for me, wiped the floor with this film.

It was such a letdown, for me. It seemed like the general response of the audience was fairly similar to ours, so I'm not quite sure where all the positive reviews are coming from. It really wasn't that unique- there are a ton of instances in which the silence inevitably leads to the loud sound JOLT that's about as commonplace in the horror genre as can be. Outside of that, it's pretty typical, but really not that scary.

I came in with high hopes, I left wishing I hadn't seen it. There could have been so many different ways that they could have taken this thing to the next level, but it feel into the same predictable traps used by other horror films in the same genre, except this time, it was just a whole lot quieter throughout.

1/5 because Jim was in it, if it wasn't for him I'd give it a 0.

TheKevman fucked around with this message at Apr 12, 2018 around 09:19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

Why would you possibly believe any thing a critic or promo ever said?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

A very good horror movie drawing inspiration from classic monster movies such as Alien, Tremors, and Jaws. Tense as gently caress start to finish, great performances by all the leads, and the monster design is hella spooky. Lots of kickass scenes and a great ending, watch this one in the theater to get the full experience.

4/5

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was

so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Definitely agree that if you're going to see it, it must be done in theaters.